Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVI

Ok Fellers!
I've decided that by God, I'm going to do some stuff in the train room this afternoon.
TV is completely sucking today and nothing better to do.
I might finally get those trucks and couplers put on that caboose that has been sitting there waiting for me for the past 6 months.
At least I'll get some engine wheels cleaned and laps ran if nothing else.
Catch you later.
E

Curt, thanks. My wife had to go on insulin, which by itself would probably not be the end of the world, but for some reason Medicare has a hefty copay for it, and the accessories that you need to go with it. This in addition to another diabetes medicine that Medicare doesn't pay for at all, and it turned into a struggle really fast. She has partial kidney failure, from a previous doctor overprescribing glucophafe and metformin, so both of those meds are out. And of course this got dumped on us at her last doc visit last Friday.
The copay for the one, and the payment for the other, are two expensive car payments' worth of money every month. Hence why her "new" car is one I am paying my boss a hundred dollars a month for, and it has 240,000 or so miles.
Trains are not currently a priority, as far as purchases.

Ok Fellers!
I've decided that by God, I'm going to do some stuff in the train room this afternoon.
TV is completely sucking today and nothing better to do.
I might finally get those trucks and couplers put on that caboose that has been sitting there waiting for me for the past 6 months.
At least I'll get some engine wheels cleaned and laps ran if nothing else.
Catch you later.
E

Eric, you can't fix what's wrong with you by yourself, and the doctors can't fix it on a Sunday, so why not have a little enjoyment? I'm currently sitting in the train room, listening to a GP60 trundle around my layout.

A byproduct of being sober is that my trains are moving along nicely. I modified the current building kit I'm working on to fit at an angle to my back drop. Speaking of back drop, I'm still toying with buying one. According to my sober app, I've saved $77 by not drinking. I'm thinking that would make a nice one month gift to myself! Well, it'd be more like five weeks but who's counting(me)?![emoji6]

Great Idea. When I gave up the Cowboy Killers (marlboro) 5 years ago I've been saving an average of 5 bucks a day. 365 days x 5 years x $5.00 a pack average = $9,125.00 saved . Now I didn't spend it all on trains,, but the train budget has never been healthier. For that matter, me too! :cool: Reward yourself as you go along, you've earned it!:D

Boy I sure wish I had a train budget. I can't afford trains at the moment. Which translates to me not being able to work on my layout for the time being. Kinda sucks by as I love watching my trains go but can't seem to build on what I have already. Of course this weekend I'm away visiting family in Virginia so no trains for me this weekend.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Eric, you can't fix what's wrong with you by yourself, and the doctors can't fix it on a Sunday, so why not have a little enjoyment? I'm currently sitting in the train room, listening to a GP60 trundle around my layout.

It was a matter about making myself do something that I've been neglecting.
Nothing to do with fixing me.
Just wanted to make sure I don't lose interest in my trains like I have every thing else.

TERRY -- Really sorry over the wife's medical problem. My next door neighbor (same age as I am) has a continuous battle with his diabetes and medications. My Spousal Units youngest daughter (lives close) also is never free from it since age 9. She's 32 now.

CURT -- Thanks for asking - that photo is 45 plus years old. I wish I had kept my first house 1800 Sq feet $21,000 with a full basement. This layout was approx 10 x 26 folded dogbone. I have very few photos of it - ex destroyed all the photos of everything years ago.

KARL -- I'm with you on the Marlboro Man. I guess 52 years at an average of say maybe 2-3 dollars a day? Thousands, Man!

BORIS, LOUIS -- one more of the back of an F-M in the as delivered black and yellow paint! Photos of the back are rare.
fairbanks_morse.jpg

65years of smoking. Still am. Can't shake the habit for more than a month or so. Have quit many times only to take it up again.

SHERREL and others- Have y'all used the "SEARCH" feature to find your favorite RR engine or yard?? If not, try it, you'll like it.

Corey- You are a better man than me.

Phil

Last edited by a moderator:
Good evening from Daytona Beach FL! 85*F according to the car's dashboard.

We left immediately after my previous post, can't remember what time that was. Everything went fine until we got halfway thru South Carolina, then after a fuel/restroom stop the A/C quit working. Needless to say that didn't do wonders for everybody's moods. I let my daughter drive the remaing 4 hours so at least the Sun wouldn't be shining directly on her; MOH sat in the shade of the back seat on the left side, while I rode shotgun and absorbed the Sun and everything it had to offer.

After we had checked into the motel my daughter had a meltdown: "I don't wanna go to college!" This was not unexpected. Her mother and I did what we could to reassure her that everybody in her situation gets the last-minute jitters. She seems to have stabilized for the moment. Tomorrow, in addition to the campus check-in, I'll need to locate a reputable garage where I can arrange for her to get the A/C working again. Luckily she'll be living on campus, she only needs the car for running errands. So it's not a full-blown emergency, just a major PITA!

I have to keep this short because I never know when my wifi adapter will fail. Don't have time o name you all, but thank you everybody who posted the supportive comments, she can definitely use your prayers if you can spare a few!

Corey - congrats on making it thru Day Eleven, and remember: "Resentment is the NUMBER ONE offender!" Been there done that.

Justin - loved the blue-and-yellow diesels, I've got several of those in 1:87 but they say B&O not C&O!

Curt and Phil - still hoping to meet up with you guys in spite of the chaos!

G'nite

Last edited by a moderator:
Evening all Rail Worker and Engineer's,
Hi Flo & Francine, How are you ladies and where Janie? Oh she with Ray, figures. How about a nice big bowl of Muligan Stew and some coffee. Thanks Francine.

Per WW: It's Clear at 84.9 °F - Feels Like 82 °F;
Winds are Variable at 0.0?? Oh really? Well there has been a bit of a breeze blowing about 2 mph.
Today again, No extended forecast.
Pressure 29.80 in
Visibility 10.0 miles
Clouds Clear
Heat Index 82 °F
Dew Point 46 °F
Humidity 26%
Rainfall 0.00 in

~~~~

Yesterday I about did myself in raking gravel. The entrance to my driveway from the county road is about 35 ft wide and all gravel. The county road has been resurfaced a couple of times which makes the edge of the road higher than the gravel driveway not to mention that there a fair slop to the road of at least 2% if not greater as it slops down across the front of the property, so when heavy rains come they tend to wash the 1" crushed rock down the road as well as wash a bit of a gully along the edge of the road. The front spoiler of of my eclipse is low enough that lately it always hits and drug a bit going out which I got tired of. So I took a heavy leaf rake down with me yesterday early afternoon and started gradually raking stones down toward the road from the sloping driveway. I had to rake the gravel down to the road to fill in the gully that was about 6 inches deep in the deepest spots going across the edge of the road and this required me doing this about 5 times and sure gave me one heck of a workout and just about did me in as I was fairly well exhausted when I finally quit. I still had to walk back up to the house about 300 ft away. The joys of living in the country.

~~~~~

Good Morning All. 74° and overcast with scattered sprinkling this morning. Back porch is wet. Today's high is only supposed to be 79°!!! Chance of rain for the next ten days. In the train shed, I finished up the Bar Mills kt that I have been working on.
View attachment 58173View attachment 58174

I'll take some more when I "plant" it. Already have a spot.
Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Willie: Your Tobacco shop really looks great and the sineage really add to it for sure.

Mornin fellas
This is a little project Ive been working on to combat the intrusion of hair from the fur kids running around the house. I bought a little cheap keyboard vac and it was useless, so I stole the fan out of it and went to designing. I was going to machine all the parts in my shop but a buddy with a cnc home shop was intrigued by the idea of a micro track vac and said bring your plans over. He whipped it up in an evening and would have taken me 2 days on the manual machines I have. It works freakin great and I couldn't be happier. It's powered by a 500mah lipo and it really sucks. LOL

Dave/Rfntrash: That a good idea. The only thing I can see is that with the vacuuming snot being metal it may short out if it hits both rails at one place or another. It might be a good idea to make that out of clear plastic to attach onto the vacuum housing.

Ken: Sorry I missed your post before, I like your operational signals, which add a lot realism and safety too I imagine to your layout?

Afternoon All,

Sanded and painted the spots on the wall today. Not sure what is on the agenda for the rest of the week.

Here is the new bridge weathered and decaled (like the previous one). The steamer is coming out of the RH and is a WM 2-6-6-2 (my Dad's).

20160818_122402_zpsx27zp5dn.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Curt: Very nice scene. Thanks for your concern about the fire danger in my area.

CURT- That scene should be in MRR magazine. WOW!

CHET- You anywhere near HELL CREEK in the 'Badlands' ? They just dug up a T-REX there. Four [4] foot long head.

Phil

Phil: Hey that's pretty neat, we had better watch out if any of it's counsins are around!

Good Morning All. It's 72° and overcast this morning. Received another .25" of rain yesterday, more predicted for today. High temps remaining in the 80's, about 10° below normal. Did some mowing and weedeating before the rain yesterday drove me into the train shed. I finalized (yeah!) part of the new layout extension, a siding and spur for a grain elevator. Laid about half of the roadbed and track. On the other side of the main, there is going to be a flour mill and two spurs coming off the passing siding, incoming for grain and outgoing for flour. Both sidings and the main will currently dead-end at the end of the plywood for now, until I purchase another piece of plywood and continue the extension. That one piece is for a "turnback loop" that will connect from where I am at now with 50' of benchwork already in place (with no track yet).

I too hope that David in CA is OK.
Everyone have a great day.

Willie

PS I posted a few pictures over on Dave's post (railBuilderDhd) regarding DPM buildings, for everyone who has clamored for more pics.

Willie: Thanks for your concern, but fortunately everything is ok in my local.

David, I was teasing Curt about all the track and wiring kinks that he has been ngauged with.
I told him that I was gonna pull his modeling license.

Sherrel: Ok, LoL
So your the guy I've been hearing about checking up on everybody and revoking their Modeler's License! Gulp!

Good morning, everybody.

Below is Heartland Union Station .

unionstationGNCBQ1.jpg

Garry: Very nice shot of the passenger service.

I'll add a picture or two.
Here is the CNW/Omaha Road depot in Mankato and my version of it as well. The flood wall for the river was added in the 80's.
Picture048-1.jpg

MankatoDepotandTrestle3-29-08052-1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corey: Very nice looking station on your layout.

Thumbs-UP for realizing you had a drinking problem and acting to rid yourself of it! It's 10 or 11 days now, keep it up and the support group/s can be very useful for you too.

Good morning, y'all!
Nothing scheduled for today. Looks like a good day to work on the new layout. I received a selection of Woodland Scenics new lighting system to experiment with. Upfront cost is a bit high, but so is everything else in our hobby :rolleyes:. Now to complete my Walthers Freight Station with interior and exterior lighting. I also have to rehang the closet doors in our bedroom, now that the new carpeting is in place. Hopefully that is not super time consuming either.

David: Happy to hear that you are not affected by the fires.

When this forum, moves quickly, it's hard to catch up with everyone. Sorry if I missed anyone. perhaps, I'll get a chance to look back later in the day.

Boris: Thanks, a allot, especially coming from you all the way back East in N.J.

WILLIE- Did you get any SCALE TRAINS models? Modeler in other Diner likes them. I have no problem with the one I have. If I had the funds I'd get the other 9 I have my eyes on. Oh well, meds and food come first. Also mortgage,lectricity ,etc.,etc.

Phil

Phil: Yah, being on a budget sure isn't the easiest thing many times, but we make due with what we have.

Afternoon All,

Did some chores this morning under the supervision of MOH. I briefly talked to Ken and Phil concerning Monday. I interrupted Ken working on his signals.

Here is a shifter making up to a cabin.

20160820_115203_zpseb6clxrh.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Curt: Thanks for your concern, fortunately I'm doing fairly well as most of the area has the tall dry grass cut down for 100' around the house and out buildings which is a big safety feature.

Say, what's this I hear about you interrupting Ken when he was working on his signals?
Sherrel: Here's a hot one for yah, time to pull his license! LoL

65years of smoking. Still am. Can't shake the habit for more than a month or so. Have quit many times only to take it up again.

Phil

Phil: My Dad your to be a fairly heavy smoker and tried several times to stop smoking and finally one day he just layed them down and never touched them again. Cold Turkey. You could watch the, 'Marlboro Man', being thrown out of his saddle because his horse stopped so fast and launching him into orbit!

Well I kind of sorta got the trucks and couplers put on my caboose.
I figured there would be issues getting the coupler heights correct. This is an older Mantua piece I got for free so I don't mind spending some time and a little money to put some trucks and couplers on it to make it runnable on my tracks.
I had glued on the gear boxes for doing body-mount couplers earlier this afternoon and being I just got up from my 4 hour nap, I figured I might go mess around with it some more to see if I could finish the job.
Everything seemed OK until I put it on some track with the coupler height gauge. They were barely going to catch and sure to de-couple at any little bump in the road. I figured the easiest thing would be shim the trucks between the body.
I put in a few washers, red 0.015 and they got close but then I didn't have much threads for the screws so I figured to just put in a little piece of 5/64 (or thereabouts) styrene where I'll tap in a new screw mounting hole. The frame on this is stamped steel so I used some gel CA to set it and will leave it be for the night.
Ken saw the unit sitting there in pieces. I think he thought I was going to change out body mount to truck mount couplers. Then I showed him the trucks I was able to remove with their truck mounted horn-hook couplers. It was all about changing the couplers. Since I already have all the s..t and skill enough to go to body mount that's what I was going to do - when enthusiasm came back. He understood.

Well anyway, I think I'll have this unit fixed up tomorrow sometime if something doesn't get in the way and distract me - like this chronic screaming pain. I don't really see that being much of a problem.
Here is a few pics.
P8220006.jpgP8220007.jpgP8220009.jpg

Hey Corey, I remember the other day you mentioned about anger being an alcohol trigger.
I think it's backwards for me. My temper and patience goes out the window when I've had too much.
When I first joined up here on the forum a couple years ago I kind of thought I was probably a newbie starting all over. I was terribly impatient and had a bad temper back then as a teen and never drank.
Here I am some 35-40 years later now able to see what folly there is in that. Call it maturity I suppose. I've also come to realize that my modelling skills lack when I'm drinking. Everything becomes difficult and more of a fight than something to enjoy when the "beast" gets a hold of you. Sure does with me. And I don't like it. Thus, now a days when I get frustrated and ill, I just shut everything down and walk away.
For one thing, our toys today cost WAY too much to lose our tempers and throw something across the room. That's the way I was - who cares the cost until after I realized what I had done. Then you feel like a dumbass of the first order. I sure did.

I was going somewhere with all that but lost my train of thought.
Sorry.

Maybe I'll got tinker with my caboose and see how that goes.
E.

Someone once (or more) said "I love it when a plan (or couplers) comes together"

Roger that Mate!!!
I was dam happy to see how close that came out. I don't think I'll mess with height adjustments anymore on this one.
I'm actually quite happy just to get something good done on the trains!!
E

How nice! I just took the newly refitted caboose out for several laps and all is very good!
Time for me to go back to sleep.
I'm sure Louis is about to chime in the next hour or so.

Catch you all some time this afternoon.
E

Good morning Everybody,

It 70 with 68% humidity under clear skies in southeast Baltimore.

I am so far behind schedule I don't have time to comment on all the posts I have missed. I hope to come back later today.

I have had both of my boys this weekend and a full to do list. Now I feel like a truck ran me down!

Did anybody get the number of that truck? I did not see it but it felt like a loaded, full size versions of that cement truck on Chet's layout.

Have a great day Everybody, my prayers are with you all. Even you Beady my friend, for you just think of them as positive waves :)

Have a great day Everybody!

Terry I sent you and email yesterday, did you get it?

Your inbox was full so I could not send a PM.

I'll check back later.

Good morning everyone. E your caboose reminds me of my life like caboose I have. Doesn't exactly match the chessie paint on my units but I run it anyways. Good job on that.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Back