Running Bear's Coffee Shop LV

Curt ... really fantastic picture ..great looking work.

Eric .. What you have done really looks good .. Have you been sandbagging on us. I think you have done this before!

Louis .. From your post last evening .. I guess that I am just too old school. I cannot stand all the long hair and beards on the PROFESSIONAL players. I think it looks trashy. Now you got me going .. I better shut up before I say something really bad!

Eric .. What you have done really looks good .. Have you been sandbagging on us. I think you have done this before!

In fact I have done this before - well over 30 years ago. Closer to 40. That was just putting plaster on wet newspaper sheets laid on wire screen stapled to wood ribs.
However, this is my first time casting rock faces.
E

Louis .. From your post last evening .. I guess that I am just too old school. I cannot stand all the long hair and beards on the PROFESSIONAL players. I think it looks trashy. Now you got me going .. I better shut up before I say something really bad!

Be thankful mate, at least they're not running around the field looking at their I-phones all the time.

Good evening. 55*F and cloudy with a 9mph NNE wind, a brief respite from the rain before it resumes in the early AM hours.

I'm feeling a lot less stressed now, since (1) I test-ran my generator and conducted a power outage drill to confirm that everything will work; and (2) more of the forecasting models point to Joaquin staying offshore. Of course, the weather is no respecter of consensus - it could still surprise us and bring the eyewall straight up the Bay! Obviously in the midst of all this storm prep activity, I haven't done any more work on the Mickey Deez project beyond the most recent photos I posted in the thread.

Eric - you seem to be moving at warp speed on those rock faces, they're lookin' good! That is one trick this old dawg hasn't learned yet, and I'm afraid to start any type of 'natural' scenery work because of the humongous mess I know it will create!:eek:

Chet, your town photos never cease to amaze me! I'm hoping to have some scenes on a par with that in maybe another year or two.

Curt - your loco terminal looks great! I need to dump some sand on my own fueling track, just another one of the many things on my ToDo list that I haven't gotten around to yet...

Welcome home Garry, and congrats to getting yet another one of your layout photos published by Kalmbach! "To him who has, more will be given" <LOL> I think I recognize that Zephyr observation car from some of your layout photos...[?]

Good late afternoon at 5:45 Pm, fellow track layers and spike drivers,

Hi Flo & Francine, How are things down at Jeffreys' Dinner today? I'll have some black coffee and some of that Pot Roast sure smells and looks good!

Per Wunderground Weather: Partly Cloudy, 75.7 °F - Feels Like 78 °F;

Wind are from the West at 1.1 mph;
Hum-i-dity is at 51%;
Barometer is at 29.95 in/Hg

I've had something happen yesterday evening that I feel very lucky about. I headed into my Garage/TR to again continue work on building another Right Hand curved turnout. My mind was doing that and I had the soldering station setting on top of the work table and needed to plug it in to the extension cord. As I'm doing that I look over to my Left to see the batteries and charging units I plugged in the day before still pluged in! Normally they are left charging about 4-6 hours. OMG were they hot but I could touch them so not really extremly hot but more than enough so I quickly disconnected the two of them and the little transformer units which were even hotter and set them on another table to cool. That was a close call I don't care to have again. That's what happens when I get too distracted, a warning to me!

Then I went to working on continuing the building of the RH turnout, I had ground down the the tapered lengths that make up the actual point of the frog and had them soldered in place but something didn't look right as I stand at this high table and I couldn't quite figure it out. You have to realize I'm using Dark Brown Weathered NS code 70 rail, it's this DB color on all four sides until I use something like a track cleaning eraser to scrub it shinny which I had done to the bottom but not the rail head. When I solder this second leg on the right of the frog point the day before, late at night it didn't seem right but it did solder in place. I have previously tapered the two inner surfaces so they from a point and tinned both inner surfaces which as well as the bottom. Well, as careful as I tried to be in holding this second rail of the point down with a small block of wood to solder it while trying to push it up against the other tapered surface I some how got it cocked so it lay on it's side at about a 45* angle. LoL and I don't drink either except for coffee or water lately. Well the Track foreman came along and saw what I had done and fired me on the spot. Great, just when when I was starting to make ahead too! Well I corrected that and got rehired, don't tell the line superintendant, Ok

So then I decided to run some trains on my Point-to-Point layout at present which amount to about 60' of track and nine mainline turnouts for some diversion. While I try and lay my track so the rail head are fairly even things don't always work out that way but being that it's a Class 1 or 2 at best RR things are in need of repair and money is tight. So as I'm controlling the little 2-8-0 Consolidation loco pulling three shorty Old Time passenger coaches with my Quest Radio controlled 'DC' hand throttle I'm watching the engine and cars bump along as they hit uneven spots and negotiate the difference in rail heights here and there. It's quite enjoyable and as I make more progress things are falling into place fairly nicely. fairly soon I have a mine line and two more passing sidings to make use of.

Looks like I'll need probably 5 or 6 more castings with what I have in mind. Nothing outlandish but hopefully dramatic looking. I already have "Chet's Peak" in mind. If WS makes mountain climber or repelling figurines (HO), they will be having a home soon. My land surveying crew is probably getting nervous.

I was going to go kind of "big" around the portals. The more I came and went in and out of the room it occurred to me that the south portals (with mountain on the left) is one of the first things you encounter when entering the room. If I was to make that too big it would potentially hide half the mountain. So, I'll just go for dramatic effect on the north end where "Chet's Peak" will be.

One thing I have learned quickly is this is not like laying plaster cloth on cardboard ribs like the "make it look easy" videos would have you believe. I still maintain this is more of a chess game. Although I may be free-styling the railroad, I am still quite attentive to realism and know enough about geology to know when to put a lid on it and not get too wild.
Lesson #2 - hydrocal sets REALLY quick. Don't try to mix a double batch unless you are prepare to throw down pretty much all of it at once.
I'll fall back on POP for more of these monster casts this morning once I wake up some more.

"Chet's Peak" on "Palmer Mountain" is days away.
E.

Eric: A couple of things to consider in making/working with the castings:
You don't need to make them any thicker than you want so they won't stick out so far;

You don't have to pour the material in all the areas of the mold, just mold a portion of a rock casting;

Molds are easy to make with a few choice rock surfaces and some liquid latex rubber material. Clean the rock surface you want to mold and only paint enough to give you a bit of a depressed area to pour into, even if only an 1/8" deep;

Also consider that an rock face similar to what your appearing to make might not even need a tunnel portal as it could be hewen out of solid rock if it looks too solid. Better to make thinner rock castings and have some dirt and smaller rocks that appear to be falling down to give rise for the need of a tunnel portal. Just my opinion.

Batten down the hatches boys! The mid-east coast is about to get flushed!! Hurricane Joaquin is heading somewhere between Hatteras and NYC, most likely the DELMARVA coast. If it comes up the bay,,well there goes Central Absurdistan, right into the inner harbor!! (that may not be a bad thing!)
Louis, head for higher ground!!
We're ready, with pickups, ropes, and chain saws, along with flashlights, lanterns and plenty of T.P.
Might be a good weekend to pass time in the basement!!

narrows03.jpg

State Line Jct./B167.7
www.wmwestsub.com1800 × 1151Search by image
Another WM Challenger passed George's Creek Jct. but this one is downgrade, passing the State Line Jct. interlocking tower/office. (Bill Price photo)

Karl: Do you have any idea what the Yellow steps and two hand wheels are for?

That was work related travel last week, my wife came along and she had the vacation on that one. My real vacation is next week, headed for the Black Hills and Medicine Bow National Forest;

Not to say I am not getting any dreaming in, picking out structures for the new layout:

View attachment 52689

View attachment 52690

View attachment 52691

View attachment 52692

Also, working on the track plan and room layout!! Almost too much fun!

Say David: Is the third picture a FSM kit or from another mfg? It sure has a lot of added detail ! Even the forth building looks to be a nice kit as well.

Evening All,

I did some more weathering on my new GP7 today and worked on the pool today for several hours since Saturday we have 4 kids coming to the house (including grandkids) at 10 AM and then MOH is taking them to Jo-Ann's for a class on carving fake pumpkins at 4 PM. Of course I am going to a train show Saturday morning (authorized by higher authority-LOL) with my Dad. Thinking about going to see the Martian tomorrow. I read the book and it was excellent and I like Matt Damon.

Here is a picture of the sand around the sanding towers. Not sure if I like it.

20151001_152614_zpsjl2tc980.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

I like Matt Damon too.

Your yard scene and sanding towers looks very good to me but Joe is the guy that knows about the amount of sand that covers the ground!

Curt: I think your sand tracks look good. Perhaps more sand is in order. Railroad class A Laborers (the ones who fueled and sanded locomotives at major terminals), were quite sloppy when sanding. Most sanding facilities resembled beaches (with dirty sand). Your entire engine terminal looks very good.

Say Joe: Thanks for the info!

Good evening

Curt ... I like your turntable scene. Thanks for the remark about my photo. It is in the November issues which is now being delivered to subscribers.

Joe ... Are you encouraging more sand on CUrt's ;layout. He's in FLorida. Too much sand might attract some beach girls. Do you want that to happen? .. LOL

Ken ... Thanks for commneting. Actually the photo in MR is so small this time that details are not visible. But I'm not complaining because I feel honored anytime they publish my stuff.

Happy Model Railroading, everybody !

Actually the photo in MR is so small this time that details are not visible. But I'm not complaining because I feel honored anytime they publish my stuff.

Happy Model Railroading, everybody !

It is pretty tiny. I couldn't see any detail at all.
Congats any way.
E

You've done it again:

Eric .. Thank you.

Here is a similar photo ...

ScrapD.jpg

Let's not forget "Dawg", the junk yard dog.

scrapyardE.jpg

Some junk vehicles

scrapyard7.jpg

GE 44T moving a gon.

GE44Tscrapyarrd_zps28470025.jpg

Congrats Garry: Your photos and the detail you put into these scenes are really enjoyed. I can tell you've given each of the scenes a lot of forehand thought.

1st. The guys working by the Orange pick-up while the Derk loads the Hoppers and the guys in the foreground at Reggie's Auto parts

2nd. In Reggie's Junk yard scene, the sign's on the fence add a lot to the realism and you even built Dawg his own house!
The Tar Paper roof on the office and even on Dawg's house is very appropriate and looks very natural. I also can't get over all the abandoned vehicles in so many of the secnes.

3rd. More abandoned vehicles, I especially like the old delivery truck by the chain link fence, great job on weathering.
Did you take a class to learn how to do that or are you just naturally artistic?

4th. Again a lots more detail with the bushes, fences and tall grasses but what really caught my eye was the the way you so expertly rusted the rails of the turnout. That looks so correct for the way the rails look out here in Central Calif. I haven't really attempted to do much of that as my rail is weathered to begin with but it a darker brown. Floquil had a very decent rust color that I liked but Woodland Scenic ust pen is just a little lite for my liking. So pray tell what method you used to acheive that rusted effect?

The 44 toner is rather cute too, and there's the old delivery truck on the other side of the fence. Is that Grandt Line fencing?

Great job and very good photography.

I know just how you feel Sherrel because I agree with you. Some of todays players are too cool for school. It shows in their play as well. I get so aggravated seeing players try to backhand balls they easily could have gotten in front of, not running hard on every play and on and on.
Be thankful mate, at least they're not running around the field looking at their I-phones all the time.
I had not thought of that King Toot, but you have a great point! Some people need to have their phones surgically removed and will need treatment for separation anxiety once the phone is gone for 30 seconds.

Good morning everybody!

55 with cloudy skies. I was surprised when I walked outside and it was not raining, but it looks as thought it will resume at any moment.

The latest prediction now has me worried because I have no faith in the weather forecasters.

Have a great day everybody!

Good morning guys I have been off the radar for a while number off different reasons I won't go into just glad to be back. What a nasty day and looks like it's going to get worse ya'll stay dry today, I get my grandson today looking forward to that he's walking now so I have a hard time keeping up with him. Ok friends talk to you later I'll be around & about.

model-a chris,

The sadness in the voices of the newscasters that nobody in America will DIE from the hurricane is a heartbreaker. Those gouls make me ill.

I have a question for the guy that owns the plumbing company. Do ALL your people go to job sites totally unprepared? The first jamoke came to look at an appliance that is usually found in basements and did not have a flashlight, THEN they feed me some tasty B.S. about he has to take the part back to the shop to put in on am ohm meter (THAT took 2 DAYS!!!), like the one I have on my workshelf??? They got some fancy wall mount one? You WORK on an electric thing and you don't have an OHM meter??? This your first WEEK ???? I RILLY hope they do not expect to get PAID for this show! AWEEK with no hot water??? W T ? Not pleased at ALL!

The sadness in the voices of the newscasters that nobody in America will DIE from the hurricane is a heartbreaker. Those gouls make me ill.

Mostly it's because the lack of dramatic weather shoots [yet] another whole in the global warming hype.

Mostly it's because the lack of dramatic weather shoots [yet] another whole in the global warming hype.

GLOBAL WARMING?? How 70's!

You gotta get HIP, yo!

It's Man-Made Climatarylogical-Disruptionation now! As of yesterday! LOL!

I have a question for the guy that owns the plumbing company. Do ALL your people go to job sites totally unprepared? The first jamoke came to look at an appliance that is usually found in basements and did not have a flashlight, THEN they feed me some tasty B.S. about he has to take the part back to the shop to put in on am ohm meter (THAT took 2 DAYS!!!), like the one I have on my workshelf??? They got some fancy wall mount one? You WORK on an electric thing and you don't have an OHM meter??? This your first WEEK ???? I RILLY hope they do not expect to get PAID for this show! AWEEK with no hot water??? W T ? Not pleased at ALL!

No hot water for a week?? PeeeUuuu!!!:rolleyes: ohm meter,,,got a few here, and I'm not a plummer!

Back