Running Bear's Coffee Shop June 2018

doh.gif

Willie I honestly thought I was heeding your advice, but I guess it was not enough. Now per doctors orders, I am active one day and mostly resting the next and it seems to be working out.

Now for Baseball! My 7-8 Rosedale Orioles provided me with one of the most fun seasons I have ever had! We were only a 500 club and we lost in the playoffs, but we did manage to win 2 playoff games. Success on the scoreboard does not tell the story of this team. Even though we were a 7-8 team half of our players were 6 years old. Only 3 of the other half had prior experience and only one of those was an experienced pitcher. Despite all of that my boys competed in every game. At some point in every game but one we had the lead. We were only beaten by more than 3 runs in one game. Last nights game was a good example. In the top of the 6th (final inning) we took the lead 4-3 with a grand slam only to lose in the bottom of the 6th 5-4. In the prior game we lost our 3B who broke his hand during an illegal Collison taging out a boy who had to be 50lbs heaver and a foot taller. When I asked him how his hand was he said "it's ok I can still play". I could see it had begun to swell so I moved him to first base and told him not to throw the ball because it was his throwing hand that was injured. Fortunately it was the last inning and we did not have to bat again. Afterward on the way home he told his mom it hurt very bad and they went to the emergency room. Sure enough he had broken his little finer and a bone in his hand. He came to last nights game with his cast to cheer us on. I tell my boys baseball players are tough guys and he surely is that!

Well I am out of time for now, but there is lots more to tell you about.

Good morning fellers. I hope everyone is doing well. I wanted to go back to the conversation about painting structures. I don't so much think for me it's lack of patience so much as not having the right tools for the job in the first place. It's something I really need to work on. I don't have much in the way of tools for just model railroading. I have enough tools to get by and for the moment that's good enough. However I only have a few brushes for painting. The brush I use for painting handrails on my old blue box locos doesn't mix well with structures for some odd reason. It just doesn't apply very well at all when it comes to structures. I always tell myself that I really need to build up my paint brush inventory. Heck I've been wanting to get an air brush for awhile now. However funds just haven't been available. I think that may cover it. Unless I have it all backwards or rather wrong. I dunno. Perhaps some guidance from y'all could be beneficial. Even watching videos I notice everyone does this differently. I'll touch base again later.

Good morning.

First day of summer. I am hoping that our monsoon is over. We sent it off east. Starting the day off at 55 degrees with an expected high in the mid 70's. My lilacs are in bloom. Put these in around 25 years ago around the well head. They are a dwarf Korean lilac and that is as big as they get Lilacs can really get out of hand if they are not pruned on a regular basis. The fragrance they give off is something else. Quite a bit stronger than regular lilacs. With the windows open you can enjoy them in the house. I see our little doxie just to the right of the pine tree. When we built 40 years ago, we were in the middle of a hay field and now it is almost like a forest.

20180620_151902.jpg

Ken D&J - That web site for the Virtual Rail Fan is interesting. Didn't see much traffic at Ashland. Wish they had a camera by the Livingston depot. It can really get busy there. When operating at the club, we always know when a train is passing by. Going home from the club last week there was a lot of traffic. One westbound was stopped by the depot and I passed a westbound going up the pass and then there was a eastbound coming up the pass. Did you get the ditch lights figured out on the SD-70 Ace?

Curt
- Like the photo. Little mini scenes like that sure make a layout interesting.

Louis - Glad to see you stopping by for a cup. Sorry to hear about your health problems, but there are a lot of others in worse conditions. Hope things improve for you.

Willie - Happy to hear that the decision on the tile has been made. She's committed now. I have noticed that there can be quite a difference in the axle lengths on freight car trucks. So far I have been lucky in replacing wheels. Don't see why there can't be a standard for the length of the axles. On my layout I did use actual town with industries or businesses that actually existed or could have existed had rail service been available.

Years ago before our local volunteer Fire Department was receiving tax dollars, we used to have a yearly fund raiser where we had a rifle raffle and a barbecue that I usually got roped into cooling. Had to get an early start as there were usually about 20 roasts, beef and pork at about 20 some pounds each. Had the grills all lined up and apparently everyone was happy with the results as I got stuck doing the cooking for 12 years until we finally got county funding. It was always a fun get together with local musicians performing and everyone having a great time. That fund raiser usually exceeded what we needed to raise for the fire department.

MikeInHubCity
- I have had scrapple and really enjoyed it. We used to ( and hope to do a lot more in the future) do quite a lot of traveling. We always enjoy out road trips and always try to see out local restaurants instead of chain eateries. I'l always ask where the locals like to go and we have always enjoyed the food.

Guess I should get something done so here's a trail picture for today.

2b8d41f1d0595d5d5fd77eb222d3fd02.jpg

Later

Howdy.

Briefly on the iPhone . I’m waiting for my truck to be serviced.

During thunder storms last night, I was glad we longer have to worry about those big trees that could have fallen onto the house. We may have more storms tonight.

I have been working on a scenery project. I might have photos soon .

Cheers

Afternoon All,

Did some grocery shopping today and bought chemicals at the pool store. The downside is that we got caught in a downpour. It rained so hard it could of been a hurricane without the wind. Needless to say we were soaked to the skin.

Louis- Good to hear from you. I hope you feel better. Sounds like a fun baseball season.

VA Ken- I watch the rail cam at Horseshoe Curve from time to time.

Justin- I buy the large packs of brushes from either Jo-Ann's or Walmart. I prefer stiffer bristles for painting.

Chet- Thank you. Nice looking yard and rail shot.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good evening

Chet ..... That looks like a nice peaceful place to live.

Louis ... Sorry to hear the boy injured his hand. Otherwise, your baseball sounds like fun.

As I said, I am working on scenery .... I build a tunnel access hidden in rock strata. ... I am not done with it yet.

Open Seseme !

42944175971_63ee25602e_b.jpg

41133301520_244c1047d9_b.jpg

GARRY- Even your messes are neat. No wonder 'tis said a model rr is never done ! New ideas mean more to do. Have fun my friend.
Weather here is HOT and MUGGY. Thunder boomers all around. We keep the puter off most of the day.
Hope all are well and in good spirits, or is it, good spirits are in you?
Almost bed time,so, pleasant dreams y'all.
Phil

Well that didn't last long. The SD70Ace that I put back in service today burned up its decoder. The train started stammering then finally stopped all together and shorted out the section it was in. I could feel it was pretty warm to the touch. When I lifted it from the track, the other NS loco started up again. I pulled the shell off and the decoder is burned black on both sides.

Good evening

Chet ..... That looks like a nice peaceful place to live.

Louis ... Sorry to hear the boy injured his hand. Otherwise, your baseball sounds like fun.

As I said, I am working on scenery .... I build a tunnel access hidden in rock strata. ... I am not done with it yet.

Open Seseme !

42944175971_63ee25602e_b.jpg

41133301520_244c1047d9_b.jpg
Na na naah
1529637932480.png

For those interested I'll continue my baseball season summary. First I have to clarify, my boys deserve all the credit for our success this year. For such a young team they showed great discipline. I stress that discipline is the single most important factor in baseball. As a hitter you have to be disciplined to work the count and only swing at good pitches. Good hitters hit good pitches. In the field you have to be disciplined to stay focused. Every great defensive play begins with being ready.

At this age pitching is extremely difficult. The strike zone of these little guys is so small. I'd like to see big leaguers throw to such small strike zones so my boys could see how truly difficult it is. I tell them don't worry about results, concentrate on your mechanics.

Managers don't win games, players do. When my boys win I give them all the credit. When they lose I take all the blame. After all it's my job to prepare them to win so if we lose it's my fault.
1529646446293.png

2018 All Stars The boys in the Oriole hats are my players. My two grandsons are next to me., that's me in the Orange shirt on the far right in the back. The little boy with no hat is my player who got run over in a later game and broke his hand. The big boy is the one who ran him over. The young man second from the right in the front row is one of my former players. I know, I'm getting old. I hope to retire after I coach a third generation.
1529646951659.png

That is my grandson driving in 2 runs with the game winning hit. Not his best swing, but as usual, he got the job done. In his defense he had 2 strikes and was protecting the plate.
1529647038744.png

This picture is with the all star team and their manager. My two grandsons are on the far right. I was hoping to be a spectator, but the manager is an ignorant ass and nobody volunteered to help him so of course I did.
1529647328159.png

That is my youngest grandson, and my youngest daughter

As for the ignorant ass manager; this will be his last year in our program. Too many complaints from his teams parents, other parents and umpires.

I seldom ever complain to an umpire. If I do, I walk out between innings and talk to them one on one, smile and shake hands so nobody knows what we are talking about. Parents can be unruly enough. if the managers start complaining it will quickly escalate. I care more about sportsmanship than I do winning.

As for my health, I'm doing much better, no need to worry. I only told you what was up, so you know why I have been AWOL. I miss this place and all the great members.

I can't wait to get my train room organized, I miss playing with my trains!!!

Good morning. It's foggy and 72.

Those of us on the book of faces probably are aware I've been culling the "new" and "big" stuff from my collection. I've been using that money to either pay down credit cards, or purchase new, smaller/"older" equipment. I've picked up 4 Rapido locomotives, and one of them, an SW1200RS, came from the factory with a bad motor. It runs erratically, the motor is noisy, vibrates, and generates a LOT of heat. It was also missing two steps, making it difficult for the HO scale crew to board the engine. I put in a call to Rapido, and a new motor and steps are on the way.

Compare that to my call to Atlas a week ago last Monday, for a replacement motor for a new GP40 that is doing essentially the same thing as the Rapido engine, only worse. From Atlas--crickets. I'll give them a call again around 10 this morning, and see what they say. If they don't have the part, okay, but if they're just dragging their feet, that's not cool.

Good morning all,

Another rainy day in Northern Illinois. Starting the day at 60 degrees, and don't look like we will see 70. Hopefully finish the sheeting on the benchwork today. Everything seems to take 3X longer than I estimate.

Have a great day all!

Louis....Know what you mean, My daughters softball season ended last night. it was a great season, and the coach was awesome. He really worked long with these girls, and put a ton of extra time with them. I pissed and moaned all season about the running to practices, and the number of games. I will now kind of miss it.

Good Morning All. 75° and clear skies to start the day. The bathroom remodel continues. I have learned a few new Spanish phrases to describe unfortunate situations. Thankfully none resulted in any bodily harm, well major harm. He did whack his head pretty good on a joist while under the house. I was able to pick up the cursed tile yesterday without incident. He's expecting to start laying it this afternoon or tomorrow. Since this is an all cash transaction, no overtime premium is necessary. I'm paying $45/hour for him and his helper who speaks no English at all. Not a problem since I speak some Spanish. I also returned the towel rack that my wife changed her mind on, and looked for the one that she found on the HD website. None currently in stock, so I took a chance and bought a similar one from a different manufacturer. Guess what? She liked it better than the one she sent me after!:) Surprised that she admitted it.
Due to the rain Wednesday night, I took a day off from mowing yesterday and went back to trimming some more long neglected trees. Many are getting difficult to mow/walk under due to the downward growth of lower limbs. Today, I am going to pick up a "pole chainsaw", so I no longer have to balance on a ladder with chainsaw in hand any more. It has a 9' pole so with my height and outstretched arms, I believe 14' will be safely and ergonomically possible.
I spent no time in the train shed yesterday, a rare day. Too much else going on and the pool was rather inviting. Contractor left for two hours in the middle of the day to retrieve a forgotten tool from home and purchase an unexpected plumbing part, so that presented an extra opportunity to enjoy.

Ken (D&J) - You posted that the SD70Ace was a MTH product which I have never owned. I have also read that their products are subpar to many others. Is that possibly part of your issue with it? I am just looking for your opinion.
Justin - Here is a little guidance regarding painting structures. First, an airbrush is not necessary, it is convenient but many times I use rattle cans of paint available at Walmart or Hobby Lobby, Michael's etc. The brick color on the court house that I posted is Testor's gloss brown, followed by an over-spray of dull coat. For brushes, I am still using many "hand me downs" from cheap paintbrush sets (under $2) that my kids used thirty years ago. They can still be gotten for that price at Walmart. For the fine detail work I trimmed up to 2/3rds of the bristles off one and shaped the remaining ones to a fine point. Has to be re-dipped into the paint often, but so what. Another thing that I do is periodically wipe the brush clean and rinse it off when painting windows and other details. I guesstimate that I do it every 5-6 windows. Keeps paint from drying and clumping up on the few bristles that are there. Take one of the structures that you set away, and spray it with white primer and use it to practice on. Invest in a pair of Optivisors. If you already have good lighting, they're available at Amazon for under $30. If that's currently out of reach, a pair of 2.0 reading glasses from the dollar store might work.
Garry - You (and Curt) are the only ones that I have seen that can take a great scene and reconstruct it into something better. Looking forward to your progress.
Louis - Thanks for the update on the LL. Follow your doctor's advice and stay alive.

See everyone later. Have a great day.

Back