Running Bear's Coffee Shop June 2018

Just tracked the new shipment of motive power. Expected delivery: Monday. I want it yesterday. I don't like having to wait to play with new toys.

I put that loco on the track that I bought at Mainline hobbies yesyerday. It ran about 20' then quit. The track circuit breaker was clicking away. I tilted the loco and things were good again, for about 5'. Went into troubleshoot mode. The loco is the culprit. Gotta take it back to Mainline hobbies tomorrow.

Afternoon All,

Haven't accomplished much today other than some chores. Phil called and said hello today. I guess tomorrow I need to get serious about the pool again.

Sam- Nice track photos.

Willie- At least the remodel has started. You live to fight another day;).

20180619_110845.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Thought you'd like to see a couple of photos of our garden this year. Not as large as Willie's but it keeps us busy enough!!

One of these days I'm gonna figure out how to post just the thumbnails and not the full images. Anyway, here's daughter, wife, and granddaughter #2 in the garden.

Garden 2018_2.jpg

Below you can see most of our garden: tomatoes all along the back, cukes, squash, and peppers down the right and middle. And you can see my wife's passion, day lilies, on the left. I'll post some close-ups tomorrow. Her mother and a friend hybridized day lilies for years until her mother died, but we inherited some and we keep them multiplying. These things can go for up to $500 per plant!!! The colors can be absolutely insane!

Daylilies2018_1.jpg

Have a good rest of the day!

Another hot and humid day in northern Virginia. Just finished my morning walk. The biting flys are out in force.
Did some more troubleshooting on the culprit loco last night. Remember, this is a brand new loco, still in the wrapper. I ran the loco over a wheel cleaning paper towel. Lots of gunk came off the wheels. Ran it again and it runs fine now. Not sure how the wheels get so dirty if it's supposed to be new.
Welll, I didn't get the TV wall mounting thing yesterday nor did I put the new tire on the motorcycle. My daughter needed to come out here to get my truck for a few days. That changed my plans a bit. I'll probably take the bike into town to get the TV mount system today.

Last edited:
Good morning all. Enjoying the low temperature portion of the day now. Only 74° this morning. High of 94° today with a 40% chance of storms. Finally got time to pull out the new rolling stock for a photo shoot last night. Pictures to follow.20180619_211542.jpg20180619_211854.jpg20180619_212346.jpg20180619_212737.jpg20180619_212922.jpg20180619_213523.jpg20180619_212613.jpg20180619_213138.jpg

Good morning everyone. 74 and mostly cloudy, hitting 85 today. 80% chance of rain today, and the rest of the week and weekend look wet.

So here are a couple of close-ups of two of our day lilies. I should have a hand in there for size comparison, but the flowers are bigger than my hand.
Daylilies2018_2.jpgDaylily3_2018.jpg
Guess I finally figured out how to load thumbnails.

Anybody else out there raise day lilies?

Not much news from the trainroom - just keep pluggin' away (slowly) at the painting of the MR-IV build. Outside chores are interfering with train stuff these days. Had to clean some gutters last evening in preparation for what looks like some serious rain over the next few days, plus watering the garden and some newly seeded lawn areas, plus getting the master bath ready for a remodel - all of a sudden it's 9 or 10 p.m. and I'm tired!!

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning All. 74° and cloudy. The predicted rain for Monday and yesterday hasn't showed up yet, guess the weather bureau forgot to send the message to Mother Nature. Still in our lower temperature mode with yesterday's high only reaching 86°, triple digits are forecast for Friday. Bathroom remodel is progressing, all of the plumbing has been redone and 90% of the floor is back in.
Out in the train shed, I completed painting the DPM court house. It took eight days and I probably will have to do some minor touch-up still. It's a good example of what I try to explain to newer modelers about patience when doing this. I could have finished sooner, but I try to limit myself to time spent in the train shed, lest it turn into a full time job!
06-20-18 003.JPG

06-20-18 007.JPG

Johnny - The garden looks like it's coming along well. Mine is beginning to recover from the above average temperatures from the last six weeks. I am giving up on the green beans and will focus on them in the fall. OK though, as I still have about a dozen pints left from last year.
Bruce - Sounds like your summer is well planned. Good luck with the scooter.

Everybody have a great day.

Second morning post - - kind of like a Hobbit's second breakfast??

ACL-CSX: Nice photos of the new toys. I understand exactly about having to wait for the package to arrive :D
Willie - Very nice work on that DPM courthouse - authentic and realistic. Thanks for posting the photos. We watch Texas weather mostly because we have family in east Texas and friends in the Waxahachie area. I see north Texas is due for some heavy weather just as we are here starting tonight. Good luck through the downpours. BTW, we gave up on our green beans, too - - they just didn't do well this year.

Second morning post - - kind of like a Hobbit's second breakfast??

ACL-CSX: Nice photos of the new toys. I understand exactly about having to wait for the package to arrive :D
Willie - Very nice work on that DPM courthouse - authentic and realistic. Thanks for posting the photos. We watch Texas weather mostly because we have family in east Texas and friends in the Waxahachie area. I see north Texas is due for some heavy weather just as we are here starting tonight. Good luck through the downpours. BTW, we gave up on our green beans, too - - they just didn't do well this year.
Second breakfast? I'm in as long as there is plenty of bacon. None of that wimpy, paper thin junk either. I like my bacon in slabs thick enough to clog arteries with only a glance. Lol

Good morning .... Coffee and a donut please.

Curt and Chet .... Thanks for commenting on my photo.

Johnny .... Nice photos of your family and the garden. I will see Ed today and tell him you said helle to him and Julie.

Willie ..... I like your courthouse....

ACL ... You acquired a nice group of rolling stock.

Good morning. 48 degrees and cloudy to start off the day. Hoping that the sun comes out for the first time in quite a few days and stays out. May get into the upper 60's.

Curt - Like the photo. Always enjoy seeing your work.

Terry - Warm out. I'll split the difference with you.

Ken D&J - Nice to see that you found out what was the problem with the locomotive. Cleaning the wheels on a new locomotive usually be needed, but I have seen a lot of crud come off of the wheels on a new loco also.

Johnny - Nice looking garden. Really like the lilies. We used to have them in a flower box in front of the house, but it was removed a couple of years ago and we are going to put in some flowering bushes this summer. We gave up the vegetable years ago when the kids set out on their own. We are fairly limited to what we can plant up here due to the short growing season. Memorial Day yo Labor Day is what you have if you're lucky. Anything longer than that is unusual.

ACL - Nice looking locos and rolling stock. I'm with you when it comes to bacon. My daughter in laws mom cooks at a great local restaurant and we will order a case of sausage patties and a case of out of this world slab bacon that they use in the restaurant. Some of the best bacon I've had, and it come to about $3.50 pound.

Willie - Nice job on the Court House building. Would have liked to have had one, but I am modeling actual towns in the area where I live, and none of them had a court house.

Time for a rail photo for today.

e19e66085a3f49e9b2143fb2825aa222.jpg

Later

Good morning .... Coffee and a donut please.

Curt and Chet .... Thanks for commenting on my photo.

Johnny .... Nice photos of your family and the garden. I will see Ed today and tell him you said helle to him and Julie.

Willie ..... I like your courthouse....

ACL ... You acquired a nice group of rolling stock.

Thank you. As soon as I get the new locos I'll post them as well.

Good morning. 48 degrees and cloudy to start off the day. Hoping that the sun comes out for the first time in quite a few days and stays out. May get into the upper 60's.

Curt - Like the photo. Always enjoy seeing your work.

Terry - Warm out. I'll split the difference with you.

Ken D&J - Nice to see that you found out what was the problem with the locomotive. Cleaning the wheels on a new locomotive usually be needed, but I have seen a lot of crud come off of the wheels on a new loco also.

Johnny - Nice looking garden. Really like the lilies. We used to have them in a flower box in front of the house, but it was removed a couple of years ago and we are going to put in some flowering bushes this summer. We gave up the vegetable years ago when the kids set out on their own. We are fairly limited to what we can plant up here due to the short growing season. Memorial Day yo Labor Day is what you have if you're lucky. Anything longer than that is unusual.

ACL - Nice looking locos and rolling stock. I'm with you when it comes to bacon. My daughter in laws mom cooks at a great local restaurant and we will order a case of sausage patties and a case of out of this world slab bacon that they use in the restaurant. Some of the best bacon I've had, and it come to about $3.50 pound.

Willie - Nice job on the Court House building. Would have liked to have had one, but I am modeling actual towns in the area where I live, and none of them had a court house.

Time for a rail photo for today.

View attachment 28674

Later

Now I want bacon.

Good morning to all.

Chet- your growing season sounds a lot like ours. If you plant your garden before Memorial Day, you have to be prepared to cover it in case of a late frost. We're in the mid 60's & cloudy, with a high in the upper 70's for today.

Hopefully I will be able to look at a new-to-us car after work, since our truck bit the dust after 14 years(needs new engine: over $4G + labor). I was able to get some prep work done in the train room last night, stripped anothermoduke down to the benchwork. Slow but steady process, but will be fun and nice I get started on the build side of this project.

I agree with the other fellows that I want bacon, too. Or maybe some scrapple(can't get that up here).

I think I have discovered another seldom used branch line in Virginia. It runs from DC down to Richmond, double track, right through Quantico, Fredericksburg and Ashland. They say there are 60+ trains a day on this line but watching the virtual rail cam of Ashland, only a few Amtracs over the past 5 hours and two freight trains.

Back