Running Bear's August 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_4339.jpeg

Afternoon all,

Sometimes you have to just stop responding to people to get work done. Finally have a new master control computer. In their infinite wisdom, VMware decide to make their VCenter a virtual appliance which means it gets installed weirdly. So I have the device and licenses installed. Now tomorrow, I attempt to upgrade one of the 3 Host machines to it's versions of the software. That will clue me into what I need to do during a maintenance window to upgrade the other 2 host machines. Because I'm doing a double upgrade (moving from Version 6 to Version 8) the process is a double bump.

Terry: Stay safe man.

Good evening. Cloudy 71° today's high 77°. Compared to some of y'all it feels like winter. Extended forecast indicates the temperatures will follow Jersey tradition and go into the 90s for the opening of school on 9/7.

New Cars:
PBD85 #6094.jpg

ACF Baggage Dormitory - Walthers "General" series. Prototypes were rebuilt into Baggage/RPO cars in 1964 / 1965.

POB85.jpg

Tavern Lounge Observation PRR # 1132 - not the best picture On the "General", car frequently ran behind baggage car, from 1957 to 1967 when the was combined with the Broadway Limited.

Now, the rest of the train I made up:
GG1 # 4913.jpg

Motor PRR 4913 under the imaginary catenary wire.
P85B #4126.jpg

PRR P85B Coach # 4126, a Centralia Car Shops RTR from perhaps 2002..Walthers did their own P85B for this project, but I have a small fleet of the others, and saw no advantage in replacing a $ 40.00 car with a $ 80.00 car.
D85 Stand In.jpg

Single unit dining car (stand in). This is Walthers Proto IC dining car from the early 2000s, Until I find something better, this will suffice. A porthole window in the service door would improve appearances.
P85B # 4160.jpg

PRR 4160, another Centralia Car Shops P85B coach.

My idea was to cobble a "prototype correct" pike sized PRR passenger train from the 50s. This is my version of the Trail Blazer - NY and Chicago coach Train that was combined with the "General" in the off season from 1952 onward. The Short consist, is why it was combined with the All Pullman General.

My current layout is not designed for passenger operations, so this train will be put away after the novelty wears off, but the next layout will be passenger oriented.

The photos were taken at Lazeretto Station, named after the Quarantine Station on the Delaware River in Tinicum Township, (South of Philadelphia), and the birthplace of Stromboli. The station is on the (model) PRR adjacent to the Reading's Essington station.

Terry, Curt, Phil et all. Be careful with the approaching hurricane. They are unpredictable. Prayers and best wishes. Stay safe.

Latest Cone of Uncertainty:
1693356643914.png

So far it's working well after I got it working. In the past, I have had them hard-wired to the desktop computer and wireless through the router for wife's laptop and tablet. The last one I just went wireless all the way since the phone company gave us a new state of the art router when we switched over to fiber-optic service. Thanks to a government grant, the fiber-optic installation in our very rural area was free along with the router. This was only to existing landline customers. I have neighbors who ditched the landline in the early 2000's who ended up paying for the fiber-optic installation.
Fiber is primarily Marketing Hype. Remember a Network is a group of Bottlenecks, looking for a place to happen. Your network speed is not going to change.

Morning all,

Not much going on this morning. Boss texted at 3:50a that he's going to be in late due to his kids keeping him awake. I figure he wanted us to join him by waking us up so early. I was, in all fairness, already awake. Hopefully I can get some real sleep during vacation, but probably not.

Currently 63° and clear with a high later of 94° expected.

Good morning from a brisk spot in WIsconsin. High today 73. Low is now at 51f degrees!
IMG_1118.png

I need to cut the other half of the growing in grass. When they hydro-seeded they highly recommended that the first few cuttings be done walking. No problem, I walk everyday. Boy was I worn out yesterday and was struggling at the end to get 1/2 done. I am tempted just to ride today!

Today the little miracle of life turns 12 but “I’m almost 13“ granddaughter! Born Down Syndrome and with holes in her heart it was a struggle watching her struggle breathing and trying to get big enough for heart surgery. Obviously the less then 50% surgery went well. Her choice tonight is 5 Guys, Pasquale’s (her favorite locally owned Mexican restaurant) or the Drafthouse that is her favorite place for Chicken strips and fries. Terry is making the chocolate on chocolate (no sprinkles grandma) cake.

I am working on the last 2 of 5 diesels being weathered and texted the client yesterday. I expect to ship them next week Wednesday. I have another 10 diesels to follow up in addition to the containers, well car cars, box cars and center beams that are in the schedule.

Those in the storm path and fringes be safe.

Good Morning All. Mostly clear and 70°. The warming trend is upon us, it went to 98° yesterday. Today, the wind from the north picks up a bit and it may be 1-2 degrees cooler. Meanwhile it's great with the windows open and no A/C until 10 in the morning. While the NWS has backed up their triple-digit prediction by 2 days, there's still no rain in the 10-day forecast. It's really not all that unusual to have 100°+ for Labor Day cook-outs.

The car battery saga continues; my neighbor tried to charge it yesterday to no avail. So I will take it with me tomorrow and get a replacement. Not unexpected and I don't see the need for two cars anytime soon. He would have come sooner, but it wasn't an emergency (except Sunday), and his own repair business was more pressing. While he specializes in mowers, tractors and four-wheelers, he can do the big stuff as well.

Thanks for all of the comments regarding the chain link fencing. I didn't finish yesterday as planned, but that was mainly because I skipped it and ran trains instead.
Here are a few random scenes.
IMG_2466.JPG

IMG_2468.JPG

IMG_2477.JPG

IMG_2478.JPG

Tom O -
You know I feel the NWS and Hurricane agencies are huge embellishers upon their guesses.
No love lost here for the NWS, as their track record here is miserable. Sometimes they go the wrong way as well, look at Hurricane Harvey a few years ago.
John - I think that all of the Canon printers can be hard-wired, even though they no longer supply a cable. On mine, you can either use an Ethernet cable or a USB/USB cable. I am with you on the wired hardware, both my keyboard and mouse are hard-wired even though I have wireless ones in the spare parts box. Changing the batteries was always too frequent.
Curt - I expect the printer will be worth it. The hassle was all mental; my grandson probably could have done it in less than half the time.
Jim -
Fiber is primarily Marketing Hype. Remember a Network is a group of Bottlenecks, looking for a place to happen. Your network speed is not going to change.
I was referring to the fiber-optic service from the local phone company, which is far and away better than the copper line that it replaced. My wifi network speed improved dramatically because of that. It's on all of the time. I have friends who have satellite internet and they point out that severe weather cuts them off all of the time.

Everybody have a great Wednesday.

Well, not exactly. Fiber can be much faster than other mediums at delivery from your local provider to your location. It's technologically superior to cable, DSL, etc. Now, depending on how your local provider runs it/throttles it and how they're hooked up, it may or may not be better.

I know personally several people who switched to a fiber based connection and their throughput is much much much faster (their performance or network speed is much faster). I've run on their connections and it was amazing. However, when they switched they also got new providers so there are more variables than just the data connection technology. But if your existing provider were to replace your connection to your home with a fiber connection it could or could not change your speed depending on how they run your connection and how much bandwidth they allocate to your subnetwork you are hooked to and how they route stuff.

And cable providers are starting to offer gigabit or multi gigabit speeds over cable (though one of my friends with fiber was able to get 10 gigabit and it's like many sites being on a local intranet for him -- of course, other sites, are just as slow because of the routing to where they are going).

But fiber is more than marketing hype. It also, by itself, may or may not help you. Your link to your local provider is just one small piece of your internet experience.

Morning from the west where it has been HOT and DRY! Yesterday was 103f degrees with 28% humidity and intense sunshine is the best I can do - so far!

WALDO has dug himself a hole beneath some sort of flowering bush next to the block wall that is close to the back patio. He did not come out of his hole yesterday, so I took the hose and really gave him a showering down.
I had a lousy night and just not the least bit "chipper" this morning, Grrrrr!

DAVID - Shows what a dummy I am! I did not realize that there was a hill that high in all of Great Britain! Most of my travels there have been within a couple hundred miles of London - and mostly to the south and west - and that is a shame as my "kin" came from the area north and east of Edinburgh (Wemyss) near the Kirkaldy region.

I'm like 4 pages behind in reading this morning - I'll catch up later today!

TROY - You made me laugh (sorry) with your grocery store debacle!
The interesting part is that I have been trying to sign up for our closest store in order to take advantage of their weekly "digital deals" using the scan function with the phone. It's too bad that a person has to resort to such a headache in order to try and save a few dollars. I even hate trying to do it, but (sigh) I am cheap! I cannot pass the test - my android phone does not want to take a pic of that little square box? Have to get my daughter involved, I guess!

FLO - about a gallon of coffee should do it this morn - thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back