Running Bear's August 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnsf971

Gomez Addams
Staff member
th-3795061174.jpg

With regards to the HSR to Vegas from California. It is a private company and is related to the one running private rail in Florida. It has a much better chance at succeeding than the fiasco trying to link LA to Silicon Valley. This one to vegas will probablt be completed and be running their second generation of trains before the other one gets any meaningful track down.

My only "peeve" is that unlike the private one in Texas, which will be using Japanese Shinkansen based trains, this one appears to be using Siemens or something similar trains. Nothing against the German HSR but the Shinkansen are well proven and really nice...

I know it's been awhile since I did a house update. I've been trying to get folks to get here and do things. The roof dry-in was like 3-4 weeks ago and I've been tring to get the plumber to at least come do the vents since then. The electricians did get started and have most of the easy stuff in the basement done and a lot of the boxes and some wire pulled on the main floor but they've not been here since last Tuesday.

The plumber did text me end of last week that he thought they could get started this week. I also need to do some grading in the back so that the geothermal shafts can be drilled and also so footings and slab for the back enclosed porch can be done and that guy finally called me today so hopefully something is moving there.

This pic is from a few weeks ago but nothing on the front outside has happened since.

IMG_2982.jpeg

The framer boss was here this morning to go over whatever niggly things are left for them to fix. Hopefully that gets done soon.

My son and I did a window last Saturday. I have not sealed it yet nor flashed the sides and top after sealing. I did use a liquid waterproof membrane as a type of waterproof flashing around the whole window frame before we started (the gray you can see) and did a good flashing on the bottom and the bottom part of the sides... This is a hopper (in tilting) in a toilet room. The latch on it was loose so I need to contact the maker to see how to fix that and then seal and flash it. Will try and get more windows done this week -- need to find someone with a truck to help me pick some up from my storage. The siding guy and his team were going to do my windows first but he texted me last week that he had injured his shoulder and had to have rotator cuff surgery a week or so ago and so couldn't do the windows. I have a couple places to call that the home builder friend who is helping me with the job use that I will call tomorrow but if I can get some more in it will save me some...

IMG_3026.jpeg

Random interior shots showing wire and boxes from the electricians

IMG_3034.jpegIMG_3032.jpegIMG_3031.jpeg

Fe**. My golf pass expired in mid March, and I told myself I'd renew it on my birthday a bit later on. In early May.

I've managed to get to the driving range just once since March. Let alone play.

Another entire season lost to time. But fortunately not wasted, as I at least didn't renew the pass. Then it would be real money lost.

The chances and opportunities get shorter every year. As they say, "Aging sucks. But the alternative is worse."

Last edited:
Welcome to August - Only reached 92 degrees yesterday with a totally overcast sky and wife reported that it rained in the parking lt at the g-store slightly less than a mile away, but not a drop here?
Thunderstorms are again predicted today with an 89 high!

Have enjoyed all the photos, real and models that has been posted.
Patrick - really pretty corn.
WILLIE - love seeing Chet's trees on your spread!

I think my general age and various health are catching up with me. I can't even read as fast as I could - and comprend even less?
FLO - Welcome to the home? Scrambled with bacon, and biscuits with gravy with a Diet DP, please?

LOUIS -- Yogi was my Hero growing up!

In June 19, 1948, during Babe Ruth Day at Sportsman's Park in St. Louis, a young and apprehensive Yogi Berra, in his first full season, mustered the courage to request a photo with Babe Ruth. Tragically, Babe Ruth passed away on August 16th the same year. Grampa Yogi went on to achieve an illustrious career. This remains the sole photo capturing the two baseball legends together
1690888918305.png

Good Morning All. Clear and 80° this morning, a bit warm for this time of day. No real change in the forecast, highs around 107° for the next week, then the NWS doesn't really have a clue. We're under what is called a "Red Flag Warning" for the next few days. That means that conditions are very favorable for rapidly spreading grass fires.

This month starts off appropriately enough with a doctor visit to the primary care guy. I assume that we'll discuss the results of last week's blood tests and ultrasound results. Probably do another blood draw and some more tests will be ordered. He likes tests. Knowing him I will guess that he will order a CT Scan next, but it is possible that he will yield to the cardiologist who I visit later this month for a regular visit. Tomorrow I have my long awaited cataract surgery on my right eye. While not looking forward to the surgery itself, I am hopeful of the results. The cloudiness on the right side of that eye is really bothersome, while the vision itself is actually good. Thursday is the one-day follow-up for that.

I posted yesterday about the grain field next door, sure enough there were a pair of combines out there starting around 700 pm. I'm not sure when they finished, as we can't hear them from inside the house and they got progressively further away anyway.
IMG_0088 (2).JPG

While there was a very slight breeze from that direction, all of the dust and chaff settled within 25', which by the second round was all in the field. It also helped that the weeds in the fence row are all kinda tall and intercepted a lot.

A very uneventful day yesterday out in the train shed. I ran trains, contemplated the layout and possible upcoming projects and skimmed over the September issue of MR which arrived early for me. Actually looks like an article or two that might interest me.
The only thing of note and it took me about 15 minutes, was to add figures to the front of the Majestic Hardware that I added the porch railing to last month.
IMG_0083.JPG

IMG_0081.JPG

More of this in the next installment of my layout thread.

Todd - Great buck picture.
While Yellow and Roadway merged a few years ago, I never saw any equipment with a YRC logo around here.
Karl - I'm surprised that Yellow Freight hung on as long as they did. They were struggling back in 2014 when our company parted ways and started using R+L Carriers for LTL shipments.
Curt - Thanks. It turned out to be the easiest solution and it worked well.
Patrick - Wow! A nice surprise with the corn. Looking good.
Terry - I'm not familiar with dementia tests, but I can draw an analog clock.
Sherrel -
WILLIE - love seeing Chet's trees on your spread!
Thanks. I really like them as well. They fill a niche that I have needed for years. I do need however, to locate more places for the 100' scale trees. For the most part, trees don't get that tall in the area that I model, but they will on my layout. Fitting them in is hit or miss right now, as I didn't build enough clearance in many spots. it will be easier on the portion of the layout that I haven't started scenicking yet.

Jerry Garcia of the Grateful Dead would have been 81 today if he was still alive. RIP and keep Truckin'.
Everybody have a great day. Beware of the full moon tonight.

Good morning Crew. Another chilly start at 61f degrees in my area of WIsconsin. Heading like yesterday to 82 with calm breezes and a good AirQuality of 31. It shall be a nice day.

The tomatoes, green beans, squash and best of all, zucchini are coming off the plants daily. Terry is in heaven with her veggies plus her lettuces have come back in the cooler and shaded areas.

The grandson’s Summer hockey team got crushed last night 2-8 and it wasn’t even that close. He has another game Thursday that we will miss as we have tickets to the Broadway musical SIX. Tonight is the granddaughter’s season finale of her Miracle League baseball. They are doing a Fall, 6 game season starting next week and she is in it!

The diner looks super Terry, thanks for finding Mel a refreshed spot.

I have some online retail therapy to accomplish in a few minutes…

enjoy the day

Good morning gang!

67° and sunny, heading to a high of 83°. 71% humidity and an AQI of 46 (good). It's nice to sit here at my desk with the office doors propped open, even though it lets in some road noise.

Chad, Keep up the progress reports! Of course, once the house is done you will also be expected to post layout construction reports!

Last edited:
Good morning!

52F headed up to 75F under blue sky's. Can't complain about the weather.

I can complain about ordering Chinese made junk sold on Amazon. I'm returning the double-barrel desk lamp I bought through Amazon, intended for the modelling desk; it just don't work at all. No power gets to the lamp switch. - I'm sad about that, because I like the style of light with two adjustable LED's. I like lots of light when I'm modelling.

Willie - I did notice you had made a layout thread and that's a wonderful thing. - I've thought about doing the same. However, a desire to spend less time on the computer and more time committed to animated activities kinda prevents a dedicated thread. That's why I like the coffee shop. It's fast and easy, and I don't need to show-up everyday.

Here's a series of photos I took of a box car in the local staging area, just the other day.
I like finding the older rolling stock, but, I very much dislike the after-market art work that criminals might think is good advertising. Sadly, it seems near impossible to find an older boxcar that don't have an application of this ugly vandalism.
Box_CN 413457_07-25-2023 (1).JPG

Box_CN 413457_07-25-2023 (2).JPG
Box_CN 413457_07-25-2023 (3).JPG

Box_CN 413457_07-25-2023 (4).JPG

Box_CN 413457_07-25-2023 (5).JPG

Box_CN 413457_07-25-2023 (6).JPG

That's all I have time for today. I need to make tracks on other required events. Have a great day!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back