Running Bear's August 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening!
Going fishing again in the morning, so I'll spare you my yip-yap for a couple of days.

Willie - Thanks loads for going through the trouble on the ground-cover post. That helps a-lot. - I somewhat figured it was done in that way.
Going to try it when I get back from fishing.

Have a good evening, folks!

Morning all,

Rain as far as the eye can see, but none here. Currently 80° and partly cloudy. Temps to the low to mid 90's.

Louis: For beef, I prefer the nut rather than the fruit woods. I have used apple and cherry, but like hickory and oak. Pecan is good as well. A rule of thumb to consider is how strong the meat is to use lighter or stronger flavored smoke. Poultry and pork do better with apple, cherry or peach, where beef does better with oak or hickory. Fish I used alder.
Experiment, your taste will tell you what's best for you. You get where you can tell what was used. My personal preference is to avoid Mesquite. IMO it is a bit bitter.

Last edited:
Well, howdy there internet people, and those watching willie lay miniature sod.

It's Troy again.

Rough night of sleeping. It was little blue pill night, which led to a headache. But, I was having asthma-style breathing issues. Turns out I had a spider bite on my leg. Those things either make me nauseous or imitate asthma problems. Tonight's was asthma, so I'm about 4 hours in deficit. Me and the cat are planning on some napping this afternoon once the headache goes away. Application of Benadryl lotion to the affected spots knocked out the asthma symptoms without the rescue inhaler.

Got some work done on my Viking shield maidens yesterday. Need to do some highlights and touchup, then apply the wash/filter to them. After that, a drybrush of a light tone (usually a light beige) just to edge highlight. Then I'll get to play with snow basing.

Vikings.jpg

I need to pick out designs on their shields, too.

Here's the rest of the Vikings, and some camels for my Mutatawwi'a for the same game, but in the Crusader era.

Mess.jpg

Last edited:
Good morning gang
71° and sunny out there right now heading for a high of 95°.
Didn’t do much all weekend Saturday we had a going away to college party for the Youngin, yesterday the only activity I did was to watch the NASCAR race. Quite happy that Harvick broke his losing streak.
Been having problems with the left wrist and occasional shooting pains going from the base of the thumb up to about my elbow. I think it’s may be the beginning of carpal tunnel. Gotta call the Doc about that.
Off to work I go, BBL

Morning and Greetings from the West. A tad early for me, but another toss and turn night - probably had to much rich food last evening.
A birthday which was a little more subdued than normal - I think we were all just a little tired to start?
Here's the local weather report starting at 71 degrees presently:

Sunny and hot. Afternoon breezes , high near 99°F .
Pollen level is rated "low-medium".

From last evening's dinner at GOURMET ITALIA RESTAURANT. I'm in the back corner, wifey (KATE) youngest daughter (ALI), SIL Michael (the pharmacist), John (the BIL), MEL, (his wife who shares the same BD), Karen (friend of the family, and SIL, Jan (whose hubby, Brad, is in Denton, TX for a visit with his dad.
Sorry, I just have to brag; that is one good-looking broad to be 74! I am so very proud of her!

1659954681529.jpeg

Good morning all! Another hot and humid day on tap.

Went out yesterday and pulled up the rest of the green beans, picked them and got them snapped. My wife stayed up late getting them all canned. She wound up canning 8 more quart jars and 6 pint jars. That's in addition to her previous canning session. Better haul than expected since most of the garden just did nothing this year. It'll soon be time to dig up the potatoes and I'm hoping we get quite a few.

For some reason lately I've been watching old boxing matches on YouTube lately. I used to watch heavyweight fights a lot back in the 80's and always looked forward to watching Mike Tyson in his prime. Not just because of his knockout power but also because of his great speed. Just an incredible fighter until he went off the rails with Don King. He was still good even then but nothing like what he could have been. Been watching other fights too but mostly Tyson. Never could get into MMA and such.

Back to work today. I'll also be starting my Fall classes in 10 days so busy times ahead. Hope you all have a great day!

Good morning all,

It is a cool 53° and we are headed for 75 with sunshine. We had a nice weekend here, with rain coming last night while we slept, a welcome rain because it is on the dry side here now.

I ran the train around yesterday afternoon, organizing the freight cars, also seeing what needs work. Ended up with a few issues, put them on the workbench for some adjustments:

IMG_2480.JPG

The coupler fell off 90010, wonder what was keeping it on, must have just been snapped in place. I will be glueing, also the coupler on the 50 footer doesn't work at all. The soo line car, one of the wheels must have been filed a bit flat. Luckily I have a big assortment of wheels and trucks in one of my spare parts bags

Dropped off a couple cars at the freight shed

IMG_2481.JPG

That spur has been no problems whatsoever. Actually, have not encountered many issues with the track. I just noticed, however, that I am missing a smokestack on my SW-1?!

IMG_2483.JPG

I think another smokestack goes in the little nob in the top center of the hood? Funny how easy it is to miss stuff, even looking at it every day

back later, Dave LASM

Good Morning All. Mostly clear and 78° in my world. The weather geeks have removed the rain chance from the forecast for tomorrow and Wednesday, however temperatures will remain below 100° until at least the weekend.

Another day of the normal chores yesterday. After church, I spent 45 minutes continuing to cut up the remains of the dead tree, I still need one more work session to finish. I haven't stacked all of it yet, some is still in a pile next to the stacks. After napping, I canned five more pints of tomato sauce. I only did five pints because of time constraints. There's still about 45 lbs of tomatoes either ready or close to it that I can do today. I'm still picking them faster than my wife can eat them, although output is slowing down. I need to mow the weeds around the garden today, as they are taking advantage of the irrigation that I am providing. Tomorrow I have a Primary Care doctor visit and annual physical.

Thanks for the likes yesterday on the layout progress and the ground cover "how to"; Gary, Smudge, Sherrel, Guy, Joe, Troy, Dave B, Karl, Tom O, OB Ken, Patrick, Louis, Hughie, Joe, Mike, Rick, Mikey, Dave, Chad.

I didn't get much time out in the train shed yesterday, but enough time to cover the wall of the background structure with mortar wash.
IMG_1457.JPG

Next up will be to paint the window sills and add the windows.
I took some more pictures of the scene where I added the ground foam Saturday, after it had dried overnight.
IMG_1454.JPG

After setting the buildings back in place.
IMG_1455.JPG

And the other side of the gas station done previously.
IMG_1456.JPG

Guy - Good luck on today's fishing expedition. I like the motel.
Dave B - Belated Happy Birthday to your wife and Happy Birthday to your mom.
OB Ken - I meant to ask earlier, why do you pull up the green bean plants to pick the beans? I just pick the beans and leave the plants to bear more. Even in Illinois, you should have at least another 6-8 weeks of growing season for beans.
Louis - Mesquite wood is my favorite for smoking beef.
Regarding the cost of diesel versus gasoline. I did read recently that some of the refineries that make diesel have been making jet fuel rather than diesel lately; because they can sell greater quantities at fixed contract prices to airlines. Many refineries can switch between gasoline, diesel or jet fuel, but the changeover takes time and they're offline during the process. It's all a gentle balancing act, made more difficult with several refineries shutting down recently due to green energy BS being imposed by a certain state's government.

Everybody have a great day.

Good morning from a rather ugly looking start to the day in So. Central Wisconsin. Sunrise was 5:56 this morning but damn if you could tell, it is gloomy out there. I feel like I can just reach up out of my chair and touch the clouds. It’s now 73f/22.7c degrees heading to 75/23.8c with the dew point at 73degrees and 99% humidity, it’s at least an indoor morning.

I have started alternating between the 2 mile walk or swimming laps in the pool for 30 minutes. Yes, Doctor, therapist and wife approved to swim alone, finally! The pool this morning was at 84/28.8 degrees and is too warm for laps. Opening the siding doors today will do nothing to cool the water. 75 to 79 is great for me but the wife really liked the warm water yesterday.

Troy, I get headaches from that pill to. But, sometimes a bit of pain can be good! Doctor told me either quit complaining or front load. He said take 3 Tylenol @200 mg each a 1/2 hour before you take the blue one. Have fun! Nice Vikings and need to see the camels after paint!. Do you use a magnifying visor to paint your miniatures?

Sherrel, nice to celebrate with friends and family

smudge617, if you follow the way of Willie you won’t go wrong, he wrote the instructions very well

Ken in Illinois, the last fight I watched was when Tyson bit the ear of the opponent. Robin Givens and his conviction for rape took care of what could have been the greatest of fighters. I thought he was quicker and for sure hit harder then Ali

Karl, while I skipped the MD part in college and I did not sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night those were my Carpal Tunnel symptoms. I will be sleeping at a Holiday Inn Express at least once this week. Do you want to schedule the surgery for after the end of the free breakfast the next morning?

Patrick, my SIL believes he is a smoker king. I like smoked hams and turkey and he does those very well. He needs and is getting practice for others. I don’t have the patience to do the smoking of meats. Have fun with it

guy, have fun fishing

Louis, when you least expect it, something happens the way it should. Nice when customer service follows up on what they say they will do. The SIL came over for Terry’s PS? as they had to return the PS4 they had on Friday. There are some programs that our special needs granddaughter uses to exercise with and other programs she plays to help her in other cognitive ways. He was told 2-3 weeks and if it can’t be fixed he will know in about 10 days. Best wishes for your console

Willie, you will get here usually just before I hit post reply. Good ground cover tutorial. Our methods are very similar

Well, I finished 6 of the 7 pieces of my rolling stock yesterday with the last 2 around midnight. The 7th one I used oils on Friday. Last night at 10 it was still damp. So into the hydrator it went. I will check before noon to see how it is. When the car dries that should be it for weathering for a few weeks. Last week I received 4 pulp cars to weather and create pulp loads. The loads were already done for my use so just added a VMS matte varnish to the loads and poof, ready for the client! The 4 cars and loads will be shipped out today. I am so done with pulp cars as these were #85 to 89 since 9/2021. But, if anyone wants 1 or 2 done, contact me…

Some layout pictures
BB99B95B-A1A8-4894-882E-E368A4F77536.jpeg
A607E7F2-5C8A-45A5-8CF8-45A6C90D3A57.jpeg
FFC2FB59-315D-4EE5-8E6C-8B8652876692.jpeg
21245A16-4B2F-410B-B0A7-1FBF51448119.jpeg
2F67F214-B69F-4E9E-AD62-F624331DC930.jpeg
B32D788A-8EDE-473C-A5D9-25FEFDFBF414.jpeg
50DE52B4-8883-4B4B-98B6-21B6807F381D.jpeg
CE9F4BFC-4390-4324-B72C-43CF99AE9E7C.jpeg
5B8BD215-4913-4B95-A784-E7C3F1EAC423.jpeg
115E9CD6-C4AC-42DE-9FF6-E153DC7F0638.jpeg

I started for my book of feces layout page a pictorial. I will photograph the scene and coordinate that scene to the in development track plan. I am starting at the aisleway drop down section. When the drop down is in I can run continuously via the programming track or access the 2 track staging yard on this end of the layout. I don’t do photoshop and the pictures were actually being taken to review each scene to fix or repair. So these are real, no touch up! I used a picture last week of a scene I shot a few years ago. I was very proud of it but saw in that picture, the trees had no or very little leaf material on it.

enjoy the day

Good morning all,

It is a cool 53° and we are headed for 75 with sunshine. We had a nice weekend here, with rain coming last night while we slept, a welcome rain because it is on the dry side here now.

I ran the train around yesterday afternoon, organizing the freight cars, also seeing what needs work. Ended up with a few issues, put them on the workbench for some adjustments:

View attachment 149816

The coupler fell off 90010, wonder what was keeping it on, must have just been snapped in place. I will be glueing, also the coupler on the 50 footer doesn't work at all. The soo line car, one of the wheels must have been filed a bit flat. Luckily I have a big assortment of wheels and trucks in one of my spare parts bags

Dropped off a couple cars at the freight shed

View attachment 149817

That spur has been no problems whatsoever. Actually, have not encountered many issues with the track. I just noticed, however, that I am missing a smokestack on my SW-1?!

View attachment 149818

I think another smokestack goes in the little nob in the top center of the hood? Funny how easy it is to miss stuff, even looking at it every day

back later, Dave LASM
SW1s only had one stack, it looks like you’re missing the bell and mount.

Good morning!

I spent most of the day this past Saturday with my Godson, Wyatt, who recently went inactive with the Marines. His family doesn't have much, and his parents pretty much live in the bottom of a cheap liquor bottle. His Father and I go back to Elementary school, when they moved into our neighborhood when we were 8 years old. I love him like a brother, and feel sorry for their son who didn't ask to born into an alcoholic family.

Anyway, Wyatt had bought an AR-15 at a local gun show, and was asking about accessories. I dug through my parts bins, and found a vertical foregrip, a sling, some rail covers and a Vortex (relatively inexpensive) red dot sight to put on it. All in, it was probably $75 worth of parts I had just sitting around. It was like Christmas morning for him, which made me feel good.

So, Sunday morning, my friend (Wyatt's dad) called to thank me. This was around 9:00am. He tends to call me in the morning, because I refuse to talk to him when he's been drinking, and pretty much anything after about 10:00am is 50/50 if he's sober or not. I get another call around 11:00, and I can tell the fuse is lit... probably 3-4 tugs on a bottle at this point. Usually, at this stage of his day, he's all excited about something, and this time he wants to talk about what type of grapes to plant around their front porch because he wants his front porch to look like a grape arbor (really?). About a half hour later, he calls... barely comprehensible, but the gist of it is that he's feeling guilty because his son gets more fatherly guidance from me 4 hours at a time a few times a year than he gets at home over the course of a year.

Alcohol is an insidious demon. Breaks my heart.

For some reason lately I've been watching old boxing matches on YouTube lately.
My dad and I loved to watch the fights on our first TV. They were sponsored by (spell) Shaler Rislone? one of the first auto, cure everything, additives! Jack Dempsey, Joe Lewis, several other heavyweights ... they were, what I would call, real fighters ... no dancing around.

SW1s only had one stack, it looks like you’re missing the bell and mount.
You got me curious, so I did go to HO seeker:

SW1.png

Of course, you were correct about the one stack. And, luckily I got the bell in the right place. However, the little nob does not show up on the parts diagram.

I guess I can ignore it.

BY THE WAY, Sherrel, you have a very nice looking family!!! Should/could have been on TV with faces like that.

Tom - great scenes! Nice landscape work on your layout!

Willie - great work as usual

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back