Running Bear's August 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Evening!

Well, I didn't drown today, and managed a very nice Rainbow. Measured up at 55cm right out of the water, so I won this day.
View attachment 149854
That one was a good fighter, and nearly stripped all the line off my spool. She just wasn't ready to give-up, and I was going to let her go.
The wife would have gone ballistic if I'd done that. All she sees is meat on the table. So, she's in the freezer now.
Myself; I don't need to keep fish. The greatest joy is the process of fishing for them in beautiful country on a great day.

We're going again tomorrow. Lisa won't quit now, until she catches one 55-1/2cm.The layout will come after she redeems herself.

Thanks for the well-wishes on the fishing, and thanks for the likes on these simple posts!

Have a great day tomorrow!
A great looking fish but oh man that scenery is awesome

Awww Patrick! You beat me again although I have been up almost 2 hours. Here is the weather report for today from a current 73 F degrees:
Mostly sunny and very warm. Afternoon breezes , high near 94°F .

Pollen level is rated "low-medium".

Couldn't sleep (again). Have a funeral to attend a couple hours away and then later on at 4 PM I have a Board meeting with the HOA. I would miss the meeting except that we are short one member and another is out of town leaving us three - just barely a quorum!
I am in trouble as I could not download any mail from the office on the i-pad from the association. Now I can not view the financial reports or even the adgenta!! While the wife drives with her sister, JAN, in the front seat - I will try and contact the office and see what I am doing wrong on the tablet? JAN gets car sick if she cannot sit in the front - so I will let the two of them carry on?

MEL - I could use z refill on the coffee - FLO must have taken a break, or maybe a hangover - what do you mean - she has Covid and is not here? That is not allowed!
Sure hope that it is not too serious a case?

You guys all play nice - I'll report tomorrow!

Morning all,

In late this morning as I have my lab work for my annual physical next week. So no breakfast and in the office about 2 hours after my normal start time.

Currently 70° and clear going for a high of 93°.

BBL
Me too!

Off to see the Vampire this morning, and get my weigh-in for the Insurance company (BMI is too darn high) so I can work with the doc next week on a plan to bring it down.

Since my grand plan of increasing my steps and walking more over the past three weeks went bust with the Plantar Fasciitis, I knew there was no way to get the BMI down. (I run about a 32BMI, and the insurance company wants 29.9 or lower).

I'm blaming midwest carb loaded meals... :)

Good morning fellow groupies of train modeling. 59f/15c heading to 80/26.6c. The weather app is reporting a heavy dense fog but either it’s a old warning, for the wrong area or they just plain olde missed it. Our sun is shining bright and there are no clouds.

It is grandkid days here on the property that maybe we should give a name to? Nope, the property is fine! They will arrive around 1 and return home around 7. Dinner at 5 the g/d said and the g/s confirmed after an exciting youth ice hockey game last night is Culvers. We have not entered a Culvers since before the Covid Pandemic starting in 3/2020. We have used the pick up line or drive up but not the dining room.

Today is primary day in Wisconsin. The Sunday News program “know it alls“ were predicting about a 25% turnout but some of the local voting places are saying more then 50% are expected. The Republican governor’s primary got really nasty during the last week. That will drive voters in per some and repell others! Nothing like a no real answer. One is a Trumpite but Mr. Trump endorsed the other candidate. One of the folks running is a mega millionaire who claims self made but he inherited a super successful construction company started by his granddad. He spends about 60 days a year in Wisconsin but President Trump loves him. I can’t wait until today is done. Wisconsin is a open primary which means no party needs to be identified, vote for who you want or maybe for who you think can lose to your guy!

If there was a female celebrity I ever would have left Terry for, well she passed away yesterday. There was just something about Olivia Newton-John that tripped ALL my triggers. May she find fulfillment and joy wherever she has passed to! She was magic!

Lots of time in the train room yesterday. I predict very little time in there today as the kids are coming over with a horsey ride scheduled to the picnic grounds, then time in the pool and of course a visit to the dining room at Culvers.

enjoy your day

EDIT at 9:00AM, and we are back. The votes have been cast! They changed our polling place without a public notice. Wisconsin primaries are a one party vote. Sorry I was wrong. Lots of folks with kids voting in the new place. They had difficulty finding our names at the new place even though the old place had no problem and then telling us where to go vote! Staff issues everywhere I guess. Felt very uncomfortable with all the “official “ inspectors standing around gabbing. But the thing pissing me off is after they found me in the system they gave me a numbered receipt that I had to walk over, give to the ballot lady who them initialed the ballot and handed it to me. Can they now follow my ballot?

Last edited:
Good Morning All. Partly cloudy and 79° this morning. Weather dudes missed it again, promising highs below the century mark; it was 102° yesterday. Possible rain has been added back to today's forecast, maybe because they got up and saw rain on the radar nearby. It's 45 miles away, but it's real hard to tell if it is going to move in this direction. I have only had 3.5" of rain since May 23. Probably more than Sherrel, but not enough for the local vegetation.

Well, I'll add to the group heading for the doctor this morning for the annual physical and blood draw. Since my wife is having hers as well, she scheduled the appointments for 10:45 instead of early like I would rather have them. They've become pretty routine, take your medications, lose weight, and give me some blood. Of course, just in time, the sciatica doesn't seem to be acting up this week, so I can't seek treatment. I believe that I have gained 3 pounds since the last visit. That late visit pretty much screws up the day. My lab results are generally posted on my health portal within 24 hours, so I know what to expect when the nurse calls me.

Not much to report around the homestead, it's dry and trees are losing leaves early from the drought. Pool has cooled off somewhat, ranging from 83° in the morning to 87° in the late afternoon, tolerable all day now. The shorter days and those two shade umbrellas have helped. Tomato plants are still bearing, although not as heavily. Harvesting tomatoes in August has only happened once before at my previous residence in 1978.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding my continued slow progress on the layout; Tom O, OB Ken, Chad, Dave B, Smudge, Joe, Sherrel, Curt, Karl, Patrick, Hughie, James, Louis, Rick, Guy.

I accomplishes a couple of things out in the train shed yesterday. Over on the workbench I painted the window sills and added windows and a business sign.
IMG_1458.JPG

Over in the scene, I managed to get a first coat of paint in the parking lot.
IMG_1461.JPG

Some of the brown ground paint bled through.

Tom O - We do tend to post around the same time in the morning. I usually start around 5:00 am, but I start and stop along the way. Eat a snack, wife gets up, morning ritual, turn on the pool filter (no timer), start the garden irrigation, check the Microsoft news feed and read some stuff, burn the trash (no wind this early), so I don't finish for a while.
Last Fritos in the bag tend to collect the grease. I don't know why?
Jeff - I hope that Wyatt's dad realizes his situation and gets rid of his demons.
Joe - The ground cover method is one that I developed years ago, well before the Internet. Many books and magazines that I read, and indeed some Internet advice calls for spraying the glue on, but that sure seems like it would make a mess; as well as requiring cleaning out the spray head after each use. I hope that it works for you and any others.
James - A belated Happy Birthday for your Dad.
Guy - Beautiful fish. Should make quite a meal.

Tonight is the peak of the annual Perseid Meteor Shower. I have seen a few over the last two days, but clouds have been in the way at the better times between midnight and dawn. The moon is kinda bright right now, but it sets around 3:30 CDT.
Everybody have a great day.

Good morning all,

59° and sunny, we had some fog this morning, not like what I remember of last summer, though. Supposed to hit 84 in East Central MN.

Did some switching on the track last night, however did not work on the box cars that are in the hospital. I had to tinker with the Suburban a little last evening, ate up about 45 minutes.

Mike - I grew up right on Hwy 8 just west of the State Line, actually the intersection of 8 and US 61, now a freeway overpass there, they got the fill material from our farm. Used to eat at a place called the Windjammer, think that was on 8? Would have been the early 70's.

Tom - Culvers was the first restaurant to open up for inside seating. We patronized them once per week, as a way of saying thanks. We were living in St. Paul during the pandemic and living in an apartment, we SO wanted to get into a different environment, even if just to eat.

Willie - thanks for the reminder about the meteor shower peaking, have been going to bed at 9 PM most nights so won't see anything except if I get up to use the bathroom.

more later, Dave

At work, blood drawn and now free to pee... 🤣 The urine bit is sometimes the hardest.

Got a couple of burritos at McD's, along with a diet coke, so I'm good.

Got a meeting shortly and then the rest of my day is free.
Left late yesterday, due to an issue with a training system. Ended up going home and promised to solve it today. Half an hour after i turned the lights off, I bolted up with the solution. It's a verification system within the test system that sends an email, asking you to confirm your newly created account. It does what it's supposed to do except doesn't send a full link. So it hits a wall instead of the gate, so to speak. They need to find what the rest of the link needs to be and where in the settings of the system it belongs. That's outside my wheelhouse at this time.

Troy: My vote would be Looney Tunes...

The ground cover method is one that I developed years ago, well before the Internet. Many books and magazines that I read, and indeed some Internet advice calls for spraying the glue on, but that sure seems like it would make a mess; as well as requiring cleaning out the spray head after each use. I hope that it works for you and any others.
Willie: Most of the various "recommended practices" have not worked as well as advertised. I'm still "cleaning" electrical contact issues from the last time I sprayed Scenic Glue" over ballast and ground cover. The significant difference is using alcohol - water mix as a prep, instead of a reagent.
I'm going to try your method when / if I apply scenery / ballast to the enginehouse module.

Speaking of the enginehouse module...yesterday evening's work session turned to feces...:mad:. My 40w soldering iron was misplaced, and I was attempting to solder feeder wire with a hand held battery soldering iron. Things did not go well, and I had to re-engineer the lead.Good thing I found a 6 pk of code 70 rail. Try again today, with the plug in 40w iron.

Willie: Most of the various "recommended practices" have not worked as well as advertised. I'm still "cleaning" electrical contact issues from the last time I sprayed Scenic Glue" over ballast and ground cover. The significant difference is using alcohol - water mix as a prep, instead of a reagent.
I'm going to try your method when / if I apply scenery / ballast to the enginehouse module.

Speaking of the enginehouse module...yesterday evening's work session turned to feces...:mad:. My 40w soldering iron was misplaced, and I was attempting to solder feeder wire with a hand held battery soldering iron. Things did not go well, and I had to re-engineer the lead.Good thing I found a 6 pk of code 70 rail. Try again today, with the plug in 40w iron.

Boris. The code 70 I image is ME rail. If it’s pre-weathered it doesn’t solder very well. You need to scrape of the weathering coat. If it’s not weathered, what you said!

have fun

Well, howdy there internet people, and those whose tooties aren't cramped up.

Back from the vampire. I'm sure I blew past the BMI of 30... But, on good news, my foot is doing much better. I've done a few things that I believe have helped.

1. New pair of Birkenstock Sandals... They fit my feet in very supportive ways and help me walk without rolling my affected foot.
2. I added a compression sock to my sleeping and daytime activities. If anything, this is a slow, minor help.
3. I won't say this next did the trick, but it was after this that I noticed some significant relief.

What? Oh, KT Tape. I started seeing it on the Physical Therapy sites about "Protecting and supporting" the torn tendon. $20 a roll at Target. And with two strips per application in my case, that's 10 applications. So $1 per use.

The idea is that the tape has stretch, and will pull on the affected area as it tries to relax back to the tape's normal length. Here's what it looks like applied (warning, naked foot shot ahead)

Screenshot 2022-08-09 at 10.09.58 AM.png

Otherwise, it's a lot of
-Let it rest right after injury
- Massage the scar tissue where the tendon tries to heal (that's the ball of the foot and the front, inside edge of the heal). I picked up a percussion massage gun, and have been using that (with the softest head) for about five days. Pain during the massage went from a 5/10 to a 1/10 on the heel area.
- I tried stretches to strengthen too soon. Yesterday I did minor stretches, but enough of them to where I felt it in my calve. I'll go a little deeper today, and keep increasing. Trying to not re-injure, but to strengthen.

Hope this helps anyone who gets a similar injury. Everyone is different, and it's been several years since I had PF this bad.

Good morning all,

59° and sunny, we had some fog this morning, not like what I remember of last summer, though. Supposed to hit 84 in East Central MN.

Did some switching on the track last night, however did not work on the box cars that are in the hospital. I had to tinker with the Suburban a little last evening, ate up about 45 minutes.

Mike - I grew up right on Hwy 8 just west of the State Line, actually the intersection of 8 and US 61, now a freeway overpass there, they got the fill material from our farm. Used to eat at a place called the Windjammer, think that was on 8? Would have been the early 70's.

Tom - Culvers was the first restaurant to open up for inside seating. We patronized them once per week, as a way of saying thanks. We were living in St. Paul during the pandemic and living in an apartment, we SO wanted to get into a different environment, even if just to eat.

Willie - thanks for the reminder about the meteor shower peaking, have been going to bed at 9 PM most nights so won't see anything except if I get up to use the bathroom.

more later, Dave
We did pick up only at Culvers at least twice a month during the Pandemic, normal would have been inside every other month. Culvers here was one of he last to open the dining room. The daughter has a friend who owns the Culvers and a Taco Bell in town. She claimed by not opening the dining room they saved thousands in wages every month, Corporate sort of forced them into re-opening the dining room.

We did not even try MCDonalds for over the 2 years and only recently for McFlurries and a cone.

We did pick up only at Culvers at least twice a month during the Pandemic, normal would have been inside every other month. Culvers here was one of he last to open the dining room. The daughter has a friend who owns the Culvers and a Taco Bell in town. She claimed by not opening the dining room they saved thousands in wages every month, Corporate sort of forced them into re-opening the dining room.

We did not even try MCDonalds for over the 2 years and only recently for McFlurries and a cone.
We are still mad at McDonalds, all their people quit in the twin cities during the pandemic, making more than most people with generous State and Federal unemployment packages, they were making more than me and I worked every day with the mask and endless cleaning directives.

They couldn't hire new people when they did open, and had to open the gates so wide to fill positions that most stores still have horrendous customer service.

One exception, the Mc Donalds in Pine City, MN where we were met with a cheerful person at the cash register. DO they even teach manners any more?

Don't get me going on what they are teaching (and more important, what is not being taught. Something we used to call the three R's.)

I'll take the greasy ones, please.

One of the kids a couple years behind me at Culver Military Academy was Herman Warden Lay III. His nickname was Frito. He was a nice young man, well liked by pretty much everybody. You never would have known how wealthy his family was if it wasn't for the name.
A friend of mine from HS in South Jersey sent his son & daughter to Culver. Small world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back