Running Bear's August 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon. Looks like another hot one today. Almost hit 100yesterday and it's going to be close again today. Took the girls out for a long walk earlier today and then went into town to do a couple of errands. Needed a new automatic water dish for the girls and also broke down and got them pink collars.

As I have mentioned before, there's not much to the town. The first photo is on US-2, the main drag through town and the next photo is the City Center as on the road sign. The city limits end when you pass over the bridge in the distance.

thumbnail_20220801_112743.jpg
thumbnail_20220801_112818.jpg

Interesting conversation about the fried chicken joints. there was a KFC in Bozeman which I avoided. Too expensive in my opinion. I had never been to a Chic-Fil-A before bit there was one where we stopped on Colorado on the way to pick up a dog in Texas. My wife ordered it as we used Grub Hub. Too hot to leave the other dog in the car and didn't want to leave here alone in a strange motel room. Chic-Fil-A was alright, somewhat of an improvement over KFC. There is a grocery chain the the northwest call Rosauers that makes some great fried chicken in their deli section. That's my favorite and the girls like it too. i actually prefer a good hamburger

Joe - I am not a fan at all of fast food joints. That trip to Texas was a real eye opener which made me happy that I do not go to them.

Willie - Looks like you're getting a head start for winter, lotsa firewood. That's something I don't need to do any more, along with mowing a 2 acre lawn. Don't really miss that at all.

TomO - Where are you trying to sell? I have all sorts of stuff. Trees, probably a hundred or so freight cars, around 200 vehicles, a bunch of structures and on and on.

Jaz avalley - Those are some really good looking sweets. Who needs dinner.

Dave - Nice photo. Sure enjoyed the photos of your old layout. I imagine you pretty well felt the same as I did having to tear it apart.

Karl - How old does a vehicle have to be for the historical tags by you. My vehicles all have permanent tacg, with a sticker over the due date on the plate. 15 years old and you no longer have to register your vehicle any more. Antique tags are available, but they're only good to go to shows. I miss my cars. My '59 Impala is at the Chevy dealer in Bozeman. I prefer to keep them in a temperature controlled environment. The others are in my old shop which I am renting out. They are off to one side and covered. I haven't been able to find a place yet here.

Here are a few more club photos.

thumbnail_20210722_135328.jpg
thumbnail_20210708_133556.jpg

thumbnail_20210708_132102.jpg

It could get crowded during operating sessions as the layout is open to the public when we're operating.

thumbnail_20210708_150304.jpg

Later

Last edited:
It has been hot here in the Salt Lake Valley, but today is only 82F and overcast. Feels great in comparison to the 95 - 100+ we've been having (including yesterday).

rest of the week except for W/Th is "chance of storms" but with high 80s low 90s except for tomorrow which is forecast as 82 hig (if the weather guessers are right).

We'll see how the week works out.

Time for lunch. Yesterday I made "Chad's Awesome Italian Sausage Soup" and we have a lot left over so that is what I am having... (All my invented recipes are "Chad's Awesome XXXXX" of some sort, like "Chad's Awesome Polish Fried Rice" and other delicacies.

On a motorway near us there is an ‘American’ restaurant I had this with a tomato sauce maybe Heinz and French’s mustard, it was tasty.

I have an issue with chicken places as when I was younger my dad was friendly with the health department and those big fat fryers had a bad habit of getting kamikaze rats, and the health department would warn the other departments, so I inspect my ‘chicken’ carefully. I also know if a burger place e.g MacDonalds had icecream milkshakes off the menu it was usually because the machine was mouldy, so I love them but again view them suspiciously and have had a bad tummy afterwards.
I make homemade milkshakes with real fruit,bananas a favourite, but since the diet began last year, they are harder to justify, have just found a nice icecream recipe which I plan to rest.
I used to eat burgers in buns, but a homemade burger or two and fried onions and/or mushrooms plus French’s mustard and heinz tomato sauce is way yummier.
KFC is dodgy,but I have eaten it many times over the years and enjoy it, yum yum, fries are rubbish,and I used to buy the bbq ribs which disappeared from the Uk donkeys years ago.
I have showed this picture several times, but it is worth a repeat the best desserts I have ever seen or tasted, I seriously doubt you have had better,fortunately or unfortunately this place is over a hundred miles from me, or I would be the size of a pregnant porker…grins….View attachment 149527View attachment 149528View attachment 149529View attachment 149530View attachment 149531View attachment 149532View attachment 149533View attachment 149534View attachment 149535View attachment 149536
Those deserts--I think I am going to die--please stop. aarrrrgh

Good afternoon. Looks like another hot one today. Almost hit 100yesterday and it's going to be close again today. Took the girls out for a long walk earlier today and then went into town to do a couple of errands. Needed a new automatic water dish for the girls and also broke down and got them pink collars.

As I have mentioned before, there's not much to the town. The first photo is on US-2, the main drag through town and the next photo is the City Center as on the road sign. The city limits end when you pass over the bridge in the distance.

View attachment 149539View attachment 149540

Interesting conversation about the fried chicken joints. there was a KFC in Bozeman which I avoided. Too expensive in my opinion. I had never been to a Chic-Fil-A before bit there was one where we stopped on Colorado on the way to pick up a dog in Texas. My wife ordered it as we used Grub Hub. Too hot to leave the other dog in the car and didn't want to leave here alone in a strange motel room. Chic-Fil-A was alright, somewhat of an improvement over KFC. There is a grocery chain the the northwest call Rosauers that makes some great fried chicken in their deli section. That's my favorite and the girls like it too. i actually prefer a good hamburger

Joe - I am not a fan at all of fast food joints. That trip to Texas was a real eye opener which made me happy that I do not go to them.

Willie - Looks like you're getting a head start for winter, lotsa firewood. That's something I don't need to do any more, along with mowing a 2 acre lawn. Don't really miss that at all.

TomO - Where are you trying to sell? I have all sorts of stuff. Trees, probably a hundred or so freight cars, around 200 vehicles, a bunch of structures and on and on.

Dave - Nice photo. Sure enjoyed the photos of your old layout. I imagine you pretty well felt the same as I did having to tear it apart.

Karl - How old does a vehicle have to be for the historical tags by you. My vehicles all have permanent tacg, with a sticker over the due date on the plate. 15 years old and you no longer have to register your vehicle any more. Antique tags are available, but they're only good to go to shows. I miss my cars. My '59 Impala is at the Chevy dealer in Bozeman. I prefer to keep them in a temperature controlled environment. The others are in my old shop which I am renting out. They are off to one side and covered. I haven't been able to find a place yet here.

View attachment 149547View attachment 149551
View attachment 149549

It could get crowded during operating sessions as the layout is open to the public when we're operating.

View attachment 149552

Later
Chet - didn't realize you lived on US 2. One of my favorite roads, although I haven't been that far west. I drove that road many, many times from Grand Rapids, MN to Williston, ND.

Nice model railroad club pics!

Dave

Chet Here there are several categories for old cars. Historic vehicles have to be 20 model years old and has not been "substantially altered". Antique cars are 25+ years old and are not "substantially altered" qualify for antique tags , cars over 50 years old get a permanent tag.
Modified cars 25 years or older can get "Street Rod" tags.

BTW, if you ever want to re-home that 59, I have a nice warm garage it can stay in. I'll gladly kick the wife's Equinox outside!

View attachment 149539View attachment 149540

View attachment 149547View attachment 149551
View attachment 149549

View attachment 149552

Later
Chet I sell only on Facebook nowadays! The 1st 6 on the list are buy/sell sites. The 1st 3 are where most of my sales come from. Read the rules as many of my places will not allow trees and structures. At one time I was listing at 12 sites. Many of those took trees and structures and I did great for a 3 year slimming down the fleet period. All my Craftsmen structure kits sold and I have sold hundreds of trees in years past.

I have no issue signing up to a Facebook site and if in 30 days It’s not for me I leave it. I try to do a minimum 30 days but sometimes you just know to get out

Facebook to me is for my trains and seeing others. If it’s not trains on FB you won’t see me involved
6886B4E2-E4F2-4F36-8EB4-17186EB2EF7F.png

Morning all,

Finally primary day. Getting tired of repeated messages to vote a particular way. I had 17 text messages yesterday on a state constitutional amendment. I thought the 10 I got each of the previous 3 days was excessive. Funny I never got any from the other side. I voted early, so my choice was already made. We'll see how many I get before the polls close at 7:00p

On a different note, current 77° going for a high of 102°. Got to finish up the new computer at the office, Spent 3 hours yesterday converting the new one to Windows 11 and installing all my apps. Couple more tiny pieces.

BBL

Morning all,

Finally primary day. Getting tired of repeated messages to vote a particular way. I had 17 text messages yesterday on a state constitutional amendment. I thought the 10 I got each of the previous 3 days was excessive. Funny I never got any from the other side. I voted early, so my choice was already made. We'll see how many I get before the polls close at 7:00p

On a different note, current 77° going for a high of 102°. Got to finish up the new computer at the office, Spent 3 hours yesterday converting the new one to Windows 11 and installing all my apps. Couple more tiny pieces.

BBL
Yeah... I answered a survey I got via text message once... Here's a morning palate cleanser for everyone... :eek: 😜

Silly me, I thought I'd outsmart them and put AZ down as my state of residence ...

HAH! Now I'm getting EVERY state-wide political text for a certain party out of AZ ...

Fortunately, I'm on AT&T, and they have a number you can report texts to for spam (#7726). Just push and hold the text (when it's open on the screen), when the menu pops us, tap MORE then the forward arrow. Enter 7726 and send. They'll ask for the originating phone #, so i tap that, hit info, tap and hold to get the popup for COPY. Then paste the offending phone # into the response from AT&T.

Then I reply STOP to the original text.

Washington Post has an interesting piece on how they get your number: (some pull quotes so you don't have to click through)

Blame the assault on the voter data economy, in which candidates, parties and nonprofits quietly collect, buy and exploit a ton of information about you.

Their files treat your contact details like a matter of public record and can be more intimate than credit applications, including your income, debt, family, ethnicity, religion, gym habits, whether you own a gun and what kind of car you drive. In 2020, campaigns use this data to microtarget us with record numbers of online ads, mailers, knocks on the door and text messages.
Politicians have long had special access to voter registration and participation data, which they use to plot strategy, run polls and coordinate volunteers. But in recent years, they’ve also begun tapping into commercial data brokers and murkier social media and smartphone tracking techniques. The scandal that erupted around Cambridge Analytica, which scraped data from Facebook while working for Donald Trump’s 2016 campaign, was just the tip of the iceberg.

I’m not saying politicians are breaking any laws; I’m saying there just aren’t many laws designed to protect our data from politicians. As an institution, Congress has shown little interest in regulating the digital tools its members use to get into office. (Even the California Consumer Privacy Act I used in my quest applies only to the for-profit part of this economy.) Citizens with a lot of free time can try to opt out of some political databases and communications, but for the most part, we have little control.

An industry of political data brokers collects the state voter files and enhances them. They sell these files to campaigns, political parties and academics. (The Washington Post also uses these kinds of files to help run its polls.)

Where do their “enhancements” come from? Largely from data brokers that also sell it to commercial marketers. Firms such as Experian and Acxiom gobble up records and buy personal data sold by banks, subscriptions, TV companies, apps, and more. Then the voter file firms use their own algorithms to make inferences about you, including how likely you are to vote and how much you’re likely to donate.

L2, one of the largest political data firms, sent me two files with more than 700 data points, including my phone number, estimated income and credit rating, and inferences about my politics and hobbies. A few categories were real head-scratchers, such as “home decor enthusiast.”
Don’t sell my data! We finally have a law for that
IF you don't mind burning one of your free reads on it, the story above is a good, yet startling, read.

AND this link Don’t sell my data! We finally have a law for that above is also a good read. It applies to folks outside of California too.

OK, where's my BACON, Flo? I feel like a politician now and need some more pork! 😈🤣:cool:

Good morning from Annapolis Royal,
I will be down for breakfast shortly Flo.

view from supper last night and Fort Anne…..at the end, an actual train related photo again for Beiland.

00A5BE0C-BE25-44AB-A582-CF485A77BD28.jpeg

E0427543-EA3C-4450-8795-41471DC949EC.jpeg

8DA5B2F0-E2C1-4B24-B325-5DD2BD208576.jpeg

E15B6E5A-C9E6-41B2-9A95-86879F582229.jpeg

F1ECE7F3-CFE8-4590-A142-3111B559AF2F.jpeg

and finally, the old train bridge, from atop the Fort walls

4F389894-320A-4418-B609-73C8CCA97C5B.jpeg

Looks like it will be another beautiful day today and we will head to Port Royal later, one of the oldest settlements in North America. I hope you all have a great day!

Good morning all! 68 heading for 87 today with thunder rumbling. We had a lot of thunderstorms last evening and overnight and about to have another one. We had a little bit of hail mixed in yesterday and hoping we don't have more. The storms in the picture I attached to this post are traveling northwest to southeast and that big blob of red and purple is just a few miles from my home and heading my direction. Batten down the hatches!

Gonna be a busy day at work. Hope you all have a great day!

Attachments

• storm.png
    storm.png
    770.7 KB · Views: 69
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back