Running Bear's August 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
did I mention how wavy the laminate "hardwood" is? Previous owners installed it without leveling the concrete basement floor underneath.
I don't think there is enough floor leveler at home depot to level my basement floor. :rolleyes:. I have had success using wood shims, like the ones you would use with windows. Your benchwork looks good and solid though. Can't wait to see it with track.

Bachmann Custom Katy Baby Trainmaster

Trucktrain: Nice FM H-16-44.

It's 75 and wet this morning, and they are predicting a rainy Saturday.

Line-up at Reaing Terminal.jpg

Lined-up for the evening rush at Reading Terminal (Philadelphia), around 1972 - Note the bumping blocks.

Morning -- its 60 degrees and clear going up to only 92 today - hit 97 yesterday.
All quite on the Western Front!
Be back later to see what's up?

GUY - that's maybe just a little too close; he/she looks like a pretty bigun (as Al Bundy would say).
a 4 inch stick? Are you serious? Very nice pohoto though.

Lee - nice model - just don't get to see many mid country models.

Chet, I too was averse to all these “gadgets and gizmos” in new cars. That is until I bought the new Equinox. To be honest the more familiar I become with using them the more I enjoy them. God help me when they stop working. Only diagnostic equipment I have now is a simple OBD2 code reader and a volt/ohm meter. That surely would be like bringing a knife to a gun fight.

I am not worried; I have a bumper to bumper extended warranty. If I have too many problems, I will just trade it in for another with probably even more gadgets and gizmos. I need an excuse to buy the Blazer any way, now I regret being so cheap! Don’t get me wrong, the Equinox is great, but that Blazer was something else!

Good Morning All. A warm 77° and partly cloudy here in North Central Texas this morning. A little late in posting this morning, as I went for a two mile walk and a dip in the pool before composing.
08-29-20 006.JPG

The weatherman's prediction of 102° yesterday came true, so today he's going out on a limb with 106°. At 30% humidity, it's bearable but we're still under a heat advisory.
My wife continues to do well. I think that she has used her cane while I was outside so that I wouldn't know that she was using it. She has cut back on the narcotic pain meds; and has reduced the icing (for swelling) from 22 hours/day to about 15 hours/day. I still have to fill the damned machine up during one of my middle of the night bathroom breaks.

How about a big ole stack of blueberry pancakes and a handful of bacon for me this morning Flo. And a pint of maple syrup and a whole stick of butter to smooth them down with.

Thanks once again for the likes, reactions and comments regarding yesterday's museum pictures; Sherrel, Jerome, Tom O, Lee, Guy, Bob, Karl, Phil, Chad, James, Curt, Chet, Louis, Tom.

Spent several hours in the train shed yesterday, without much actual examples of progress. I worked mainly on the Bar Mills InstaFence sections, I am using 350 scale feet of it. The work isn't all that hard, but it is slow, especially when my eyes cross up and I have to take a short break. I did complete all of the sections that I will use and here are some laid on the layout.
08-29-20 004.JPG

I didn't drill any post holes yet because I also put in all of that ground cover and the glue wasn't dry yet. That RH piece is just leaning against the building. Those piles of what looks like sawdust around the fence posts in the piggyback yard, are a combination of drill shavings and the exposed underlying plywood. They will disappear when I get to the next phase of ground cover detailing when I add tall grass and weeds and additional ground foam.
Since that's the only progress picture that I currently have, that I didn't delete for being out of focus:mad:, I will post a few more layout photos from the O scale layout in Foley AL.
09-27-19 trip 115.JPG

09-27-19 trip 116.JPG

09-27-19 trip 117.JPG
09-27-19 trip 118.JPG

09-27-19 trip 119.JPG

09-27-19 trip 120.JPG

Sherrel - Glad that all of your relatives are safe. Beaumont escaped most of the brunt but there were a lot of trees and fences down and power may not be restored yet. Lake Charles was not so lucky, although news reports here indicate that most damage was from winds. The 20' storm surge didn't materialize. Lake Charles is 30 miles inland, but it is only 13' above sea level with nothing between it and the Gulf, so the surge would have made it that far and caused some major flooding.
Troy -
Yep, I put those legs over the lowest part of the floor.
That's always the case isn't it?
Instead of one large 3/4"hole for wiring, I usually make multiple 3/8" holes, staggered and offset so as not to weaken the supports.
I found that mounting one side directly to the wall is easy insurance toward leveling.
Curt - Regarding the wiring issue; I don't have many issues at all, but when I do, it always turns out that I mad a simple error somewhere that I should have been more careful about. Something like putting the insulated rail joiner in the wrong rail, (I run DC).

RANT, sort of. I had occasion to go into Walmart Thursday on my grocery trek. I already hate going there because I don't like parking a quarter mile from the door and dodging drivers who are either texting or reading texts while driving. That and folks that randomly back out of their spaces without looking first.
I felt so out of place there. First, my hair is its normal color, not purple, green or pink, and I don't braid my beard. Next, and I don't mean to "body shame" anyone, but all of my clothes fit. I don't have a 350 pound ass hanging out of booty shorts or stuffed into Lululemon pants; I go braless but I don't wear halter tops that are too small for "Large Marge" to be wearing. I am not a male wearing heels and skirts. I don't go in wearing pajamas or flip-flops or wearing my underwear on the outside(?). And lastly, I am not covered head to toe (including face) with tattoos and facial piercings. Some of the outfits that I saw looked like Halloween costumes!
It's like another world to me. o_O
End of rant.

Oh well! Everybody have an awesome Saturday

Sherrel. This pics for you I ran this Bachmann Custom Katy Baby Trainmaster yesterday after work with some of my Custom painted and decaled Reefer cars.
Even though that's what Bachmann marketed that engine as, it wasn't an H16-66 Baby Trainmaster. The real ones, as their name implies, are 6 axle engines, not 4. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter that much, other than being able to tell the difference. The real H16-66 Baby Trainmaster was somewhat shorter than the H24-66, owing to its smaller prime mover having fewer cylinders. I think CNW and MILW were the only ones that owned them.

Well guys all done. Here she is up on her feet. Mounting the trucks was an interesting chore, as the Walthers truck mounts are really just bushings. I was thinking more of a complete bolster. I used the original plastic bushing with shims and the Wally adaptor. Had to shim down the coupler boxes a bit. The diaphragms are from Athearn Genesis chair cars that I had removed and replaced with full width diaphragms. I'll test it at open run night Thursday, and see how this works. If she balks, back to the drawing board and maybe a scratched bolster. We'll see! This will be the last passenger car project for a bit. I sort of ruinated the budget for the year with the COSF, and a few other brass cars like that 10-6. Now I have to make do with what I have for a bit. :) The nice thing about this car is it can appear in several different trains, so I'll get multiple uses out of it.

Three quarter dome side.JPG

Three quarter dome quarter view.JPG

Good Morning, Everyone.
It's only 47F this fine morning; a bit of rain expected. - Don't matter, it has been a lovely summer!
Very soon, hunting season will be upon us. I have a cow elk draw this year, so I'll be headed up into bear country come fall. It dosen't matter to me if I pull the trigger or not; I just like being out there.

GUY - that's maybe just a little too close; he/she looks like a pretty bigun (as Al Bundy would say).
a 4 inch stick? Are you serious? Very nice pohoto though.
I was just joking with you Sherrel. The stick is for the other guy. - And I don't know if it was a boy or a girl. Next time I'll get someone I don't like to lift it's tail and check.

During our berry picking adventures yesterday, I captured some photos of a different type trestle. This one has concrete slabs on top of steel girders, supported by oiled Douglas fir. I'm taking all these trestle pics for a file on construction technique for modeling purposes.
TrestleRd1_08-28-2020.jpg

TrestleRd4_08-28-2020.jpg

TrestleRd2_08-28-2020.jpg

Passing over-top the trestle:
TrestleRd5_08-28-2020.jpg

Funny thing! Before I came to like the train hobby, I was always waiting for trains and late for work because of them. Now, I can't beg for one to come over a trestle; I suppose just because I want it too.

Have a great day!

Good morning. Laundry day for me. I hate going into town any more so while the wife is making the weekly grocery trip, I do the laundry. Noice day today with a high expected in the mid 80's but a cooling trend starts tomorrow with a high only in the 50's.

Louis - Unfortunately you can't get away from all of the tech toys in new cars. I have driven a number of them and and don't need them. Having been an accident investigator all I see is distraction which takes the drivers eves off of the road. I do like the navigation when in a strange area but I have an app on my phone which turns out is better than a factory installed system in a new car. The app is constantly updated whereas the factory app is not. I have found that the phone app is right on top of road construction and other info whereas the navigation installed in new cars don't do that.

Sherrel - Glad to see you boosting the moral of your wife. It's hard to give up old habits. I quit smoking over a year ago after 50 years. The urge is still there but with the help of family and friends, anything can be over come.

McLeod - Bears are common here also. We don't see them very often in the valley, but a short ride from the house into the national forest out our front door things are different with plenty of brown and some grizzlies. A couple of years ago my neighbor had one going through his trash cans and we built an enclosure to keep the bear out. We also called the Fish and Game and they did manage to trap the bear and relocate him back into Yellowstone Park.

Troy - Nice looking benchwork. Mine is quite similar. The only flat areas I have is where towns are otherwise it is open to allow for changes in elevation.
IMAG0325_BURST002.jpg

IMAG0326.jpg

Put some hardshell scenery in to connect the various levels and this is what I ended up with.
IMAG0657.jpg IMAG0662.jpg thumbnail_20190603_144211.jpg
thumbnail_20191023_133011.jpg

006.jpg

Guess these will be my archive photos for today.

Lee
- Like that trainmaster.

Joe - That is one cool photo at the Reading terminal.

Willie - I have to laugh at your rant. Sounds like the "Walmartians" were too much for you and I don't blame you. Lets you know how many people don't have mirrors at home or just don't care. I don't think I have been to Walmart in close to 20 years.

Have some work to do so I better get out of here.

Later.

Joe. Thanks for the complement

Terry. Glad you pointed that out I have no knowledge of these Baby Trainmasters I didn’t Custom build this one it’s the way I got it

Willie. What a beautiful pic very peaceful thanks for posting as for Wal Mart I let my wife fight that battle to go there I probably haven’t been in there for at least a year

Chet. Thanks for the complement always enjoy looking at your layout nice pics

Thought I would post some BW pics of my O scale layout

E9A73FAB-3DFA-47F8-81C9-2E2D501E35DD.jpeg
207D43D0-8F64-4CFB-B360-A3C6BDBFA71D.jpeg
EC4914EE-2D87-4650-8101-F946BB117873.jpeg

Hi Shop Dwellers. Been a long time since my last visit, I know; half of you probably don't even know me. But here I am, I ain't dead yet.

I figured I probably ought to stop in and say hello to my friends here before I post a distress topic in the main forum. As some of you might recall, when I last posted a few months ago, I was in the midst of retrofitting a few mothballed Atlas GP40-2 models to make them look like plain GP40's. That turned out to be a fool's errand, based on all the obstacles I encountered along the way. But I kept at it, totally reworked the shells to eliminate all the dash-2 spotting features, got them painted, decaled, and weathered.

Then I discovered that the trucks of a GP40-2 (EMD Blomberg 'M') are different from the earlier GP40 which uses Blomberg 'B' trucks, with outboard brake shoes - major spotting feature! All the google searches I did on swapping out Atlas truck sideframes led me to believe it would be much easier to just replace the entire trucks, so I ordered some replacement Blomberg B's from Atlas. I had a bear of a time (no pun intended, Guy) disassembling the chassis to get the old ones off and the new ones back on, but after 2 hours I finally did it. Then I put the chassis on the layout to see if it would run - and saw that I had a short. The short disappeared when I took it the chassis off, then reappeared when I put it back on. Oh CRAP!!

The only thing different from before was the truck pickup wires that came pre-wired with jumpers which were easy to swap out. So, I tried disconnecting the pair that were plugged into the J2 jumper (see image below) - and that eliminated the short. The short reappeared when I reconnected the rear truck wires.

ShorthingGP40chassis.jpg

I don't know if the short is in the truck or in the light board; tracing internal short circuits is a skill far above my paygrade, and besides that, I don't think I have the necessary tools to fix it. I'm about ready to just call it quits with this whole &^$V*&R^ project!

Hi Shop Dwellers. Been a long time since my last visit, I know; half of you probably don't even know me. But here I am, I ain't dead yet.

I figured I probably ought to stop in and say hello to my friends here before I post a distress topic in the main forum. As some of you might recall, when I last posted a few months ago, I was in the midst of retrofitting a few mothballed Atlas GP40-2 models to make them look like plain GP40's. That turned out to be a fool's errand, based on all the obstacles I encountered along the way. But I kept at it, totally reworked the shells to eliminate all the dash-2 spotting features, got them painted, decaled, and weathered.

Then I discovered that the trucks of a GP40-2 (EMD Blomberg 'M') are different from the earlier GP40 which uses Blomberg 'B' trucks, with outboard brake shoes - major spotting feature! All the google searches I did on swapping out Atlas truck sideframes led me to believe it would be much easier to just replace the entire trucks, so I ordered some replacement Blomberg B's from Atlas. I had a bear of a time (no pun intended, Guy) disassembling the chassis to get the old ones off and the new ones back on, but after 2 hours I finally did it. Then I put the chassis on the layout to see if it would run - and saw that I had a short. The short disappeared when I took it the chassis off, then reappeared when I put it back on. Oh CRAP!!

The only thing different from before was the truck pickup wires that came pre-wired with jumpers which were easy to swap out. So, I tried disconnecting the pair that were plugged into the J2 jumper (see image below) - and that eliminated the short. The short reappeared when I reconnected the rear truck wires.

View attachment 116666

I don't know if the short is in the truck or in the light board; tracing internal short circuits is a skill far above my paygrade, and besides that, I don't think I have the necessary tools to fix it. I'm about ready to just call it quits with this whole &^$V*&R^ project!
Ken, I think the GP40-2 was wired for the QSI decoder, and one of the trucks was wired in reverse from normal. If you have a small dental pick, gently pull open the little catch on the plug where the wires go, and reverse them. Then put everything back together, and see what you've got.

View attachment 116666

Ken, It may be a problem with the jumper BUT does it run ok with just the front truck connected?? If so, I'd be tempted to splice the red tight side wires together and the left black wires bypassing the plug completely. After of course, after testing the rear truck for shorts with a meter 1st.

Afternoon All,

Started out with the Sunday chores since the grandkids will be here tomorrow for lawn camp:). I started out rewiring the toggle switch the way it was supposed to be and it still didn't work. I cussed under my breath a little bit and then thought to check the Amp rating of the toggle. It was 3 Amps (the same as my old base station). I now have a 8 Amp system so I figure I fried it. Took a trip to Ace and picked up a SPST rated for 10 Amps. After getting home , wired it in and viola it works. I tested it about a dozen times (verifying with a meter) without a hitch so I'm calling that problem fixed.

My "rubber rock" pieces came in. They are going on the back of the risers behind the track. I cut both in half to give me 4 rock faces roughly 32"x 3.5" each. I did some craft paint highlights and gave it a wash of 2.5% A&I. The pictures are as they came.

Ken- Good to see you posting again. I can't help you with the loco but I feel your pain.

Chet- Great layout and 1:1 photos.

Troy- Your woodworking skills are like mine. One thing I did do before starting was purchase a Milwaukee Circ and Jig saw because my power tools were crap. I was able to rotate the base plate of the Circ saw to 45 degrees to hep on joining some of the board meetups.

Lee- Great layout shots. You can really get great detail with O scale.

Joe- Neat photo.

Willie- Nice layout and museum photos. The people can be interesting at Wally World.

Alan- Beautiful looking car.

Guy- Interesting trestle. It seems to have a little bit of everything in it.

20200829_133508.jpg

20200829_140954.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Greetings all!

Feels like a donut day. Chocolate frosted with my dark roast, please.
NE Indiana is dry, 70° with highs at 80°

Lots of comments above to sort:

Montanan: love the NP shots... since I'm working on GN, I may eventually get a NP loco and run a through train for some variety. To answer your question: Tracks may be laid sometime in Oct? Maybe? I'm still working on track planning. Mainline is a loop so I can railfan. I know where some of the features/towns will be, but there's a lot I don't know.

McCleod: Good to see the bear wasn't in the mood for Model Railroader that day. I've heard tales that we are squishy and taste good with mustard...

All in but the shouting! Still need to add a leg or leg brace here and there. Like the peninsula to the front right. I've got two more legs cut (shouldn't need more) BUT only one t-nut for the three screw feet I have left. wonderful how the packages never line up quantities. I'll use the cheap plastic anchor that came with the feet if need be to avoid buying another pack of t-nuts.

i-8v5x3HP-L.jpg

Up til now, I've told myself I wasn't going to screw the benchwork to the wall... buuuuuuuuut...

I tried leveling last light, and the wavy floor, along with the sections and their joins make it difficult. I may have to screw it in on the left and back sides just to give me one side on each run that is level. From there I can work on the other plane.

did I mention how wavy the laminate "hardwood" is? Previous owners installed it without leveling the concrete basement floor underneath.

Gregg (and the rest of you loving my quality benchwork): Sometimes you just gotta say "Close enough for government work" and move on. This joint (in the background) was one where I cut the brace twice (once too long, and once too short). Nothing that a couple of 3-inch screws won't fix! It'll be covered up with 3/4 waferboard eventually (and foam on top of that). That'll hold it together. and the joint in the front... ugh... but Facia will hide that... if I shim it up. ;)

i-XvvVS99-L.jpg

A few more images. I even swept up the sawdust and dropped screws for you gents.

BTW: over 300 screws in this layout so far. Mostly 1.5 in, a few 2 in, and two 3 #!%*!* inch problem solvers.

That's a four foot level in the pics to show how wide the aisles are.

i-dLH5vxL-L.jpg

i-2smqGFB-L.jpg

BTW: wife's rocking/TV watching chair sits right above this section. So cursing in the railyard need to be at a minimum. Sorry gents. If you (eventually) come for a visit, you'll have to behave while playing with the trains.

i-TXJM5r7-L.jpg

Troyphoto~

Nice work! I understand the pain on leveling. This is why I opted to mount my temp layout on the wall and I even used a ledger. So I was able to have nice perfect level deck. Again though I like what you have going on there.

It's like another world to me.

I tend to avoid Walmart at all cost, however, there are times when it cannot be avoided. I try getting there as early as possible, before all the "interesting" folks come to for the day. However, a walk through the local Walmart is a walk through another world...During the average visit, you will observe folks speaking in up to ten different languages, none of which is English. :rolleyes:

I tend to avoid Walmart at all cost, however, there are times when it cannot be avoided. I try getting there as early as possible, before all the "interesting" folks come to for the day. However, a walk through the local Walmart is a walk through another world...During the average visit, you will observe folks speaking in up to ten different languages, none of which is English. :rolleyes:

I don't understand your aversion to Walmart Boris and Willie. After all, you would pay money to see a freak show, Walmart is FREE!! :D 😆

Ken, I think the GP40-2 was wired for the QSI decoder, and one of the trucks was wired in reverse from normal. If you have a small dental pick, gently pull open the little catch on the plug where the wires go, and reverse them. Then put everything back together, and see what you've got.
Ah, Terry - the Man with the Answers!😁 I actually made that discovery myself shortly after I posted, when I took a closer look at the jumpers. That's when I saw that the red/black wire positions on J2 and J5 were identical, but were opposite on the front and rear truck! I swapped out the rear truck for one with its wires in a "mirror image" (I got four trucks, two for each unit I'm converting) and that took care of the shorting problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back