Running Bear's August 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a bunch of my own work as well, including replacing a busted timing belt, which required pulling the head because of a bent valve. Most of the systems weren't terribly different as cars go, but the parts were still bloody expensive! anything computer related had to go to the mechanic. That stuff was beyond me. No equipment for it!
I remember way back, I managed to have a BMW 2002 and a VW Dasher. Everything on the BMW was at least 10% cheaper than the same VW part, and usually cheaper than that.

Good morning. Still smokey out from the California fires. Spent part of yesterday running a 240 volt line in a friends garage so he could plug in his welder and then picked up my son from an auto body shop. Some idiot backed into his new Subaru and caved in the plastic bumper cover. Dropped it off and brought him back here to pick up his old Subaru Forrester which he left here.

Troy - Welcome to the group. I have relatives in northern Indiana and when I was a kid we used to take either the North Coast Limited or the Milwaukee Road Hiawatha to Chicago (had relatives working on both railroads so we always rode first class) and from Chicago took the South Shore into Indiana. Always loves the trip. I'm sure you guys were happy to leave California and get into the real world. Going to leave it here because we do not get into politics on the forum. I don't pay much attention to the social distancing and like you, enjoy being with people. We don't have as bad a problem with the virus but our dickhead governor put a mask mandate in effect but not many people pay attention to it.

Louis - Fantastic photos. I always like the GG-1's.

Curt - You are just moving right along with the new layout. Looks like you have all of your ducks in a row.

Ray - Enjoy your Montana Rail Link photos. Have a good idea where all of these photos were taken. The first photos look like they were taken along the Missouri River between Logan and Helena near Lombard. Logan is a great spot for rail fanning but I wish I had more time to spend on Bozeman Pass and at the yard in Livingston. I always enjoy seeing what's going on when I go to the model railroad club there.

Willie - Enjoyed your caboose photos. Brings back memories. I always liked riding in the locomotive but there were a few times I had to ride in the caboose and also enjoyed that. Give a person a different perspective. I hope that your wife continues to improve and thay you don't have any problems with that hurricane coming in from the gulf. Seems to be gaining strength.

Joe - Nice shot of the AmTrak train. Moving right along. Great shot of the CSX train street running. Reminds me of the South Shore Line in Indiana.

Alan - Like the work you did on the car interior. Sweet. I know I wouldn't touch a modern BMW. In the 60's I had a 2002 and brought a Bavaria back to the states when I was station in Italy. I enjoy watching a YouTube show called "Hoovies Garage" and seeing all of the crap that happens to the modern BMW's and Mercedes now I don't think I would take one for free. A large number of problems today with vehicles comes down to all of the electronics and related items. I'll stick with my classic cars.

Greg - Hope you get feeling better. I am a bit like you having a lack of interest with model trains at the moment. Haven't run at home for ages. The club is the only place I've run for quite a while.

Burlington Bob - Hope that Riley gets well soon. Our dogs are more family than pets and it hurts us when they're not feeling well.

Guess I'll post some layout photos from the archives again. The first is a converted Riverossi challenger that had details changer and custom painted for the Northern Pacific. Don't run it very often because my turntables are too short.

View attachment 116525
View attachment 116526
Here's my tourist train leaving Logan headed to West Yellowstone.
View attachment 116528
The last is the RDC picking up passengers at Churchill.
View attachment 116530
Lunch in town today. Gotta take care of a few chores before it's time to leave.

Later

Chet. Beautiful pics I always enjoy you posting pics and everyone else

Last edited:
Morning Everyone

Coffee's on. Dark Roast for me, please. Scone with whipped cream (clotted cream if you're in the UK).

To those of you above dealing with medical issues for you or loved ones: best wishes for speedy recoveries or clear diagnosis.

Yesterday, I put the layout into reverse after finally starting to draw the mainline on the plywood.

My fuzzy four-legged engineer who can leap to great heights reminded me it is his job to check how well gravity works in all locations. That means I really want a 4-6 inch span between the rail, and the edge of the benchwork. You never know when His Royal Fuzziness will check that end of the basement for gravity.

And, I just couldn't get the turn radius I needed to run passenger cars (16-ish inch for N scale) and keep the anti-fuzz gaping at the edges of the layout.

So, in between the morning and evening shifts of wording my words for the next book, I tore apart the left side of the layout. This gives me a chance to decrease the reach into the back (left) corner, dropping it to an L of two 24 inch sections of benchwork.

I need to cut some more legs for the revised sections and bolt that together today. I also need to rework most of the back wall. Dropping that from 36 inch wide, down to 24 - but I get to add a peninsula in the middle.

Oh, and I have to spend my morning at the dentist. Between moving, and dealing with the Covid Shutdown right after the move, this is earliest I could find a dentist in the new home town and get in past their normal (but slowed) client load.

Pic of the work in progress.
i-53h2Rbn-L.jpg

Morning all,

Mostly clear and dark this morning, turning light as the morning progresses. Currently 65* with an expected high of 95* with a feels like of 99*-101*.

Daughter is on her 4th cycle of chemo with 2 more remaining. She is holding up well, although today should be her I don't feel good day. She's giving me a bad time as I have more hair on my head than she does.....First time in 20 years she's correct. LOL

I'm taking the wife to a cardiologist in the morning, or I should say she wants me with her. Don't know anything yet, but I mentioned I was taking her to the head of HR and when I got in this morning, I had an email from the Benefits lady with 30 pages of FMLA forms to fill out for a few hours off.....Including having her provider filling one out for the diagnosis. WTH, I'll take a darn vacation day. It's only a 4 hour workday anyway and the same sick leave policy allowed me to use sick leave to transport the daughter without paper work. Bureaucracy...don't you love it, although I will fight city hall on this! 🤣 (I work for a small town, and HR is in city hall.)

Well, I got the interior installed, which required attaching it to the car floor with a little silicone caulk, then attaching the floor to the car. I'm now at a stopping point. AWP (pronounced A-WOP) as we used to say in the Navy, or Awaiting Parts. The trucks that came with the car were wrong (just 'cause it's brass doesn't mean it's right!) and will be replaced with Walthers trucks which are correct for the car. I'm waiting for those to get here, along with truck mounts, as the car truck mounting hardware is not compatible with the Wally trucks. Trials and tribulations! It was worth the effort. You don't see many of these, and I like having unusual models. If all goes well, it should debut at the club next week. The Overland was not as famous as the City trains but was still a premier train. There was a full service diner and a hamburger grill car as well as this lounge. I found a Wally diner on e-Bay and fixed it up with people and decent couplers, and I have a good stand in for the hamburger grill. Eventually, there will be a video!

IMG_2892 (3).JPG

IMG_2893.JPG

Good Morning All. Partly cloudy and 70°. Got a very little rain last evening, less than an inch, lots of thunder though, from an extreme leading outer band of showers from Laura. The main storm is about 120 miles east, with the eye over on the Louisiana side of the border about 180 miles away. Look out Shreveport for some more rain. Then look out Garry, Karl and others east to the Atlantic!
It must be Thursday here, grocery/beer trek into town this morning, 25 miles away.
Wife had me retrieve her cane yesterday, didn't use it yet but that's a real positive sign. Today is one week ago for the surgery. Last year, it took her three weeks to switch from the walker to the cane, and only because the doctor told her to; about ten days after I told her to.

A couple of breakfast tacos this morning Flo. Sausage, egg and cheese only.

Thanks for the reactions and comments yesterday regarding my progress; Guy, Karl, Sherrel, Chad, Jerome, Patrick, James, Louis, Lee, Hughie, Curt, Tom O, Joe, Phil.

Still limited time in the train shed yesterday, but it was all useful. I made some more fence segments for the current project area, and continued testing the trackwork into and out of the piggyback yard. I made five in and four out without incident, so I think that all of my fine-tuning of the one troublesome car has been resolved. I also made some effort at cleaning and organizing some of the "under-layout" storage area and I came across a lost relic. A notebook with all of my freight car maintenance records from 1994-2003. Hooray! :) Now if I can just locate the missing one from 2003-2009, I can update my database completely. I originally had those records in a database on a computer that crashed before I took data backup seriously.
Since progress was minimal yesterday, much time switching the piggyback yard in and out, I will have to leave you with additional museum pictures from The Foley AL Historical Museum. They have a very large Lionel O scale layout in addition to the large display cases I showed the other day. If I recall correctly, it is 22' x 64'. The layout is open free to the public three days a week for four hours or so a day.
09-27-19 trip 143.JPG

09-27-19 trip 093.JPG

09-27-19 trip 096.JPG

09-27-19 trip 094.JPG

09-27-19 trip 097.JPG

09-27-19 trip 099.JPG

09-27-19 trip 101.JPG

09-27-19 trip 105.JPG

09-27-19 trip 107.JPG

09-27-19 trip 121.JPG

Guy - Didn't get to comment yesterday, but those are some really nice rock wall pictures; nothing boring about them.
Sherrel - Great news about Kate. Now it's time to start shopping for new clothes!:( Speaking of investments, how's that Tesla stock doing for your son, or was it your son in law?
Karl - I'll have to remember that line the next time the doc asks me my lightest weight. Fine response. As far as progress, I don't always make as much as planned, but I mostly get in an hour or more a day now that retirement has kicked into a reasonable schedule. Wonder why I don't see any ads, political or otherwise in between posts? I do have this site "white-listed" on Adblock.
Lee - Very nice work.
Patrick - Many thoughts and prayers for all of your family members with current medical issues. Thankfully when I was employed, if I needed time off, I just took it when needed without the HR hassle. My boss always advised me to leave them out of the loop.
Troy - Hmmmh! No door on the train room? That could spell T-R-O-U-B-L-E!

Everybody have a great day.

Morning from "Fire Country"! Goodness Me, Fires in the West - Hurricanes in the South - what is next - a Snowstorm in the North?

ALAN - That is some pretty car - outstanding patience and a real showpiece!

Supposed to reach 99 again today, but we were spared yesterday with a high of only 98.
I managed to talk to many of the Tex/LA cousins yesterday. Most left town all over Tyler, Frisco, Houston, amd even Austin. Two stayed behind - learned that my older cousin has Covid and his wife got it too! Both are recovering at home after hospital stays ... another cousin does emergency work (rescue) so he stayed behind while wife went to Tyler area with family and G-kids. Lake Charles bunch went to Frisco, TX, to stay with kids who live there.

TROY - Looking good there. Funny -or maybe not - about your 4 legged gravity tester. Karl - Funny video!

FLO - This morning I will have a pair of sunny-up eggs with taters, lots of bacon .. whole wheat toast and don't forget the salsa?

Good Morning, Everyone!
I was reminded last evening that I've been married to the same women for 15yrs today. She's ok with me forgetting again, because she knows I don't get concerned with any holiday, and consider them just another day. Suppose I'll hang on to her for another year as she is the only one that hasn't cost me a house and alot of money.
Even though we never get each other gifts, I did chase the deer out of her flower beds in the dark of night and save the flowers; so that makes up for it, in her eyes.

The wife is having a large garden party with her friends today, which means I'll have to be a busboy for the day. There goes the day already; oh well! At least the weather is co-operating. A perfect storm of fine weather for the next few days.

I'm very sorry to hear about so many health issues, and frankly, I don't much like talking about it. I prefer living in that make-belief bubble of pure happiness. Patrick, I do pray your daughter pulls through with complete recovery. Sherrel, I'm glad you brighten the place up with news of your wife's successful recovery.

Yesterday afternoon, I grabbed the camera and went for a late afternoon walk to photograph the only trestle within town limits:
ShortTrestle1_08-26-2020.jpg

ShortTrestle2_08-26-2020.jpg

Should have taken the pics abit earlier, when the sun was more in the south. Oh well, I can always go back for better photos one day.

I also captured this DWC (CN property) railcar in the sawmill/pulpmill yard. The photo was taken while off the property, outside the fence.
DWC 794097_08-26-2020 (1).jpg

There have been posts while I was typing, so I'd better go back and see what you all have to say.
Have a good one!

Good morning y'all. 77, cloudy and damp to start the day. Going to 93+ later on.
Alan: Nice work on the ¾ Dome - Lounge.
Willie: Switching to the cane is a good sign.
Patrick: The last thing you need right now is bureaucratic BS. Hope your wife's outcome is favorable.

Drew McCann - NECHS Module Crum Lynne, PA.jpg

This morning's photo is of a well done module, by Drew McCann and group from the Northeast Corridor Historical Society. This is the group that won their category in the recent Walthers contest. Over the years, I was a passenger on this line, ran trains on this line, and supervised on this line. Believe me when I tell you I recognize the locations on their modules on sight, and without interpretation. They have also done Grays Ferry yard, which I used to work at. and it looks like the old PRR/PC. I wish I had the skill to do modeling like this.

Good Morning All Flo. I’ll take Grits. RaIsin Toast, this morning.

Troy. Layout bench work is looking very good and a warm welcome to the coffee shop from me and thanks for keeping us in your thoughts

Patrick. Your Daughter, wife and you as well are in my prayers my God give you strength

Espeefan. Nice work car is looking good

Willie. Thank for the complement. Your pic look great thanks for sharing them

Sherrel. Be careful what you say about that snow you could be right

No work last night on the bench. Having second thoughts about the Soo it’s very limited to what I want to do as a Modeler so I may go back to work on my 2 favorites NYC and the PRR

Well it’s about time for me to get unloaded I’ll check in later

Found out my oncologist is an optimist-have an appointment next August. My primary Dr. is an pessimist- come back in six months.
EKG and blood work all good. Now if the heat and humidity would lower by 15 degrees and this virus go away we could get on with a GOOD life

Continued prayers and best wishes for all.
Phil

Thanks all for the support,

It really wasn't much of a fight. HR was getting ahead of themselves which is why the paperwork. They wanted me aware of what's what before I disappeared with an extended time off emergency. I still have tomorrow off with the sick leave policy intact. If the cardiologist finds anything we need to deal with, I'll talk with HR then.

It's all good!!!!!

Good morning from the getting warmer deck in Wisconsin, heat index may get to 100. Troy, welcome aboard, I have found these guys to be interesting, supportive and very good modelers.

I am starting to truly feel better but the meds are kicking me at times pretty good. I have spent maybe an hour total in the train room in the last 10 days, spending much time on the deck or the porch. The So. Central Wisconsin weather has turned from perfect to the last 4 days of no breeze and great humidity. Watching bits of the Stanley Cup playoffs, nothing of baseball and maybe a minute of the NBA.

Pictured below is where the mixing apparatus for the bleach plant at the Paper Mill was going. I ordered it after waiting a year For it to be shown in stock at Walthers. After a wait of 2 weeks they are shown again as out of stock. Not happy, but will scratch my own which is what I should have done orginally.
Have a great day. TomO
p
CA156334-90C0-46B9-B527-0999AE7210DA.jpeg

Afternoon All,

Today was a productive day in the layout room. I started gluing rock faces below track level on the inclines. They are rubber rocks that I had from my previous layout. Of course ground cover needs to be added later. After that I installed flex track from the base of the incline to the T/O that will direct traffic to and from the ESF from the main. After that I soldered the rail joiners and soldered 5 sets of feeder wires to the track I just installed. Tomorrow I will join the wires to the main buss. I did test run a loco on the track without issue (powered from feeders on the incline.)

Thank you for the likes yesterday.

Troy- Nice looking benchwork.

Patrick- I hope your daughter continues to do well and good luck with your wife today.

Alan- Beautiful looking car and interior.

Willie- I really like the O scale size but the room needed and the 3 rail track was always a non-starter for me. I know you can now get 2 rail for O scale.

Guy- Nice trestle.

TomO- Nice scene.

20200827_134744.jpg

20200827_135048.jpg

20200827_134854.jpg
Although that looks like a sharp turn in the back ground it's a 28" radius same as the main loop.
20200827_134822.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back