Running Bear's August 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a BMW 528e. It had over 300,000 trouble free miles on it when I got rid of it. The inline 6 still ran great, but the transmission was getting a little sloppy and the original clutch was paper thin. The high cost of the parts to rebuild the transmission was why I got rid of it.
I meant to answer this one but forgot :) It was a good runner and dependable. It never left me on the side of the road. It's just that their scheduled maintenance was sooooo expensive! I wrote a couple of four figure checks at 100,000 and 200,000 miles, and the first number wasn't 1! Then there was that blasted timing belt that had to be changed out every 60,000 miles! I kept it for about 10 years, and had to let it go when the air conditioning system went kaput. The cost for that repair exceeded the car's worth. These days there's so much plastic in them that buying a used one is not something I'd recommend.

1598294284429.png

Afternoon All,

Started with chores after sleeping in about 30 minutes today. Last night I ordered 2 shale rock walls (32x7) from "rubber rocks" which I will cut down and place behind the track on the incline I'm currently working on. This morning I realized that since the WS risers were against the back drop boards that this wouldn't work:mad:...so I tried removing the risers after spraying with RA to loosen the Elmers. Let's just say I ended up trashing them. Luckily I had another set for the other side of the layout. This time I left 2 inches to the the outside edge of the risers and has 3 inches from the backdrop to the back edge of the future roadbed. I hated to move backwards but it needs to be right for what I want to do.

Toot- Nice MRL photos.

Willie- Interesting cabin car interior.

Joe- Great Miller sign (I'm assuming it's Miller).

Louis- Great photo.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good Afternoon Everyone in Model Railroad World. Hot and a lack of rain here in this part of Wisconsin. We really need some rain very badly.

I have a lack of interest in model railroading lately and it maybe be due to the carryover of my 2019 health issues and a change in meds. We'll see tomorrow when I head down to the layout room and do some model railroading.

I'll start slow tomorrow and assemble a MR&T limited run box car that I purchased from Kalmbach Publishing Company. I'll weather the wheel-sets and maybe a shot of Dullcote on the car body. I also have a MR&T coal hopper and a caboose that goes along with the MR&T locomotive I own. I have a fond interest in the MR&T since we toured the layout several years ago with Jim Hediger as our host. A great tour with a ton of insight into the history of MR&T.

Several items that were found in the ruins of John Allen's Gorre & Daphetid and will be auctioned off to members of the National Model Railroaders Association (NMRA). Also found, but donated to the NMRA was the G&D's original control panel. Most items are damaged to some degree.

Joe: I need that ACME sign!!!! I have just the building for it to be installed on.

Time to leave.....Beep, Beep!

Greg

########

Last edited:
I meant to answer this one but forgot :) It was a good runner and dependable. It never left me on the side of the road. It's just that their scheduled maintenance was sooooo expensive! I wrote a couple of four figure checks at 100,000 and 200,000 miles, and the first number wasn't 1! Then there was that blasted timing belt that had to be changed out every 60,000 miles! I kept it for about 10 years, and had to let it go when the air conditioning system went kaput. The cost for that repair exceeded the car's worth. These days there's so much plastic in them that buying a used one is not something I'd recommend.
Don't forget they need to cover the cost of having a lawyer oversee each mechanic.

Good night America, how are you ya? Been a busy week so far. We took my little buddy, Riley, to the vet this morning for a check up. He's been sick and running a fever that got as high as 105.4 for a brief time. We wrapped him in a damp towel to help cool him off, thankfully it worked. The vet said that they were pretty sure it was a tick born infection, probably Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. He's doing a lot better, but is still sick and running a fever off and on. Got a refill on one of his prescriptions for another two weeks and take him back for another check up on 9/4. Been an expensive little guy, but he's worth every penny!

We closed on our house in Illinois today! We won't have that to worry about it anymore and it will save us some money. We won't have the utilities, insurance or lawn care to pay for anymore! Plus we'll get a chunk of money to put on our house here in Tennessee. Now, if they could come up with a way to eliminate this darn virus, life would be fantastic! But, I'm not complaining! Everyone stay safe, later!

Greetings gents and ladies. [pours a cup of dark roast, dollop of cream and drop of honey]. Thanks for the nice welcome for a newbie.

Who am I? Well, wife and I are native Hoosiers. Born and raised here.

Wife's job took us out to Los Angeles for four years. Culture shock hit in many ways. The greatest of which was going from a midwest sized home of almost 3000 sq feet (with 900sq ft as the man cave basement) down to 900 sq feet in an LA apartment (at twice the monthly price!!!!)

That wrapped, and we moved back to Indiana this January. Instead of heading back to Indianapolis where we had spent the last 25 years, we looked farther north. Somewhere in between both of our aging mothers. The new place is almost in the middle between the mums. So, we were happy to get out of the smog, sad to leave the ocean and the Santa Monica Pier behind, but it was time to move

Well, I moved. She had to ride out the old job for two more months. So I snuck into our new home town of Fort Wayne, Indiana (there really was a fort, named after General "Mad" Anthony Wayne) before Covid hit. She had to fly back right in the middle of the mess.

But, we're here (we both work from home).

And we've about run out of socially distanced, "I don't want to die" activities we can attend. Been to most of the parks... so I start looking online... and find out our new home town.

They have a thriving Railroad Historical Society operating a couple of steam engines and getting a diesel ready to run. And are working with the city to be a part of the growing downtown improvement center with a museum and interactive center along one of the rivers.

So... once we get through the current mess, I know where I'll be hanging out some weekends.

If you're in the NE Indiana, NW Ohio, or lower Michigan in the tri-state area, give me a holler. We'll plan a meetup or four at either kind of train show (the model, or the historical)

Morning all,

Partly dark and 68* this morning, going for a high of 96* today. Time for coffee this morning, thanks Flo!

Wife had her annual yesterday and we're heading to a cardiology appointment on Friday. Something turned up in her EKG and they then took an x-ray and didn't like what they saw, but she couldn't remember exactly what. So they called and got her an appointment. More after the weekend.

Welcome troyphoto.

Welcome to the Coffee Shop, Troy. Nice intro. You didn't say whether or not you were going to start a layout (or already have one), but no problem. We welcome anyone who wants to talk trains and other stuff, no requirement to have a layout. Meet Flo and Francine, our fine waitresses, (servers for the PC crowd). That's Mel the gourmet chef in back. Tell us what your specific interests are.

Good Morning from LA-LA land! Supposed to be 96 again today, same as yesterday and forecast for the next few days. We can't even conjure up a wayward thundershower even with higher humidity than normal - I'm beginning to think I am back in Arkansas, or maybe that's a wish, HUH?
Better be nice, CHET, or we'll send you some more smoke! That photo you showed of the two same views was something else - I would not have believed that the smoke would have carried that far? BTW -- neat club photos as well as from your own layout.
HUGHIE - Pray that you stay safe from the storms - I have a boatload of cousins and their families all around the Beaumont area.

FLO, Morning to you .. Aske MEL to pile up a bunch of biscuits and gravy for me yhis morning and a handful of bacon on the side, thanks.
(computer is having trouble spelling, so I will refill my coffee - later guys)

Good Morning All. Clear, almost sunny and 69° here in North Central Texas this morning. If the forecast is to be believed, last night was the last one for a while of sleeping with the windows open. We're looking at a gradual warming trend and the thunderstorm chance for tomorrow and the next couple of days has been reduced, for now!
I had a terrible trip to town for "stuff" yesterday. Grrrh! Hassles at Sam's Club over my card, which despite renewal last month was not active. Had to renew again. Got home and checked AMEX and discovered that the original renewal fee that was there last month had been reversed. ????? Had issues at Home Depot that required a manager (and time) to resolve in my favor; and three other stops that all took longer than they should have. Not happy when I got home at 4:45. End of rant.
On a bright note, my wife is doing well. She even feels that she is doing better at this stage (five days after surgery) than her previous surgery. She even came and got into our bed during the middle of the night instead of icing her knee on the couch. Did not bring the ice water circulating machine. No evident swelling this morning, so no setback. She has reduced her painkiller medication slightly as well and isn't a half-zombie today. The fact that she lost 30 pounds between the first and second adventure most likely has helped.

Hello Flo. I'll have the country special this morning, sausage and gravy, grits, poached eggs and a double OJ to wash it down with. And don't forget the well buttered raisin toast.

Thanks to all who liked or commented on yesterday's "cabin car" interior pictures; Sherrel, Tom O, James, Phil, Patrick, Louis, Jerome, Hughie, Curt, Greg, Chet, Bob, Guy.

My downer day stayed with me for the rest of the day. One of the very rare days when I didn't visit the train shed for anything other than to restock the beer fridge. OK, that was an improvement along with my wife's recovery. Didn't even have time a run a train or two.
So again I will leave you with a few pictures of the Lionel display in the Foley AL Historical Museum.
09-27-19 trip 122.JPG

09-27-19 trip 123.JPG
09-27-19 trip 124.JPG

09-27-19 trip 125.JPG

09-27-19 trip 126.JPG

09-27-19 trip 127.JPG

Joe - There isn't anything normal when it comes to these tropical storms. Normally these things bring me about a 50:50 chance of moderate rain. They really temper out when traveling 350 miles from the coast to here. If there is a lot of moisture associated with the low pressure system and it travels straight to us, we might get 3"-5" of rain at the most.
Curt - Sorry to read of the riser setback (no pun intended). Good that you had another set so you don't have to wait.
Greg - Come on Fellow! You can get over the modeling funk easily. You've battled much bigger wars in your life. ;)
Bob - Good to read that Riley is doing better. That and closing on the house really brings additional spark to your life from a week ago.

Everybody have a great day.

Last edited:
Good morning. Still smokey out from the California fires. Spent part of yesterday running a 240 volt line in a friends garage so he could plug in his welder and then picked up my son from an auto body shop. Some idiot backed into his new Subaru and caved in the plastic bumper cover. Dropped it off and brought him back here to pick up his old Subaru Forrester which he left here.

Troy - Welcome to the group. I have relatives in northern Indiana and when I was a kid we used to take either the North Coast Limited or the Milwaukee Road Hiawatha to Chicago (had relatives working on both railroads so we always rode first class) and from Chicago took the South Shore into Indiana. Always loves the trip. I'm sure you guys were happy to leave California and get into the real world. Going to leave it here because we do not get into politics on the forum. I don't pay much attention to the social distancing and like you, enjoy being with people. We don't have as bad a problem with the virus but our dickhead governor put a mask mandate in effect but not many people pay attention to it.

Louis - Fantastic photos. I always like the GG-1's.

Curt - You are just moving right along with the new layout. Looks like you have all of your ducks in a row.

Ray - Enjoy your Montana Rail Link photos. Have a good idea where all of these photos were taken. The first photos look like they were taken along the Missouri River between Logan and Helena near Lombard. Logan is a great spot for rail fanning but I wish I had more time to spend on Bozeman Pass and at the yard in Livingston. I always enjoy seeing what's going on when I go to the model railroad club there.

Willie - Enjoyed your caboose photos. Brings back memories. I always liked riding in the locomotive but there were a few times I had to ride in the caboose and also enjoyed that. Give a person a different perspective. I hope that your wife continues to improve and thay you don't have any problems with that hurricane coming in from the gulf. Seems to be gaining strength.

Joe - Nice shot of the AmTrak train. Moving right along. Great shot of the CSX train street running. Reminds me of the South Shore Line in Indiana.

Alan - Like the work you did on the car interior. Sweet. I know I wouldn't touch a modern BMW. In the 60's I had a 2002 and brought a Bavaria back to the states when I was station in Italy. I enjoy watching a YouTube show called "Hoovies Garage" and seeing all of the crap that happens to the modern BMW's and Mercedes now I don't think I would take one for free. A large number of problems today with vehicles comes down to all of the electronics and related items. I'll stick with my classic cars.

Greg - Hope you get feeling better. I am a bit like you having a lack of interest with model trains at the moment. Haven't run at home for ages. The club is the only place I've run for quite a while.

Burlington Bob - Hope that Riley gets well soon. Our dogs are more family than pets and it hurts us when they're not feeling well.

Guess I'll post some layout photos from the archives again. The first is a converted Riverossi challenger that had details changer and custom painted for the Northern Pacific. Don't run it very often because my turntables are too short.

thumbnail_20190419_105244 - Copy.jpg

thumbnail_20190419_103410.jpg

Here's my tourist train leaving Logan headed to West Yellowstone.
thumbnail_20190608_115836.jpg

The last is the RDC picking up passengers at Churchill.
thumbnail_20191012_125857.jpg

Lunch in town today. Gotta take care of a few chores before it's time to leave.

Later

Good Morning, Everyone!
The G-kids are still with me, so I only have enough time for a quick coffee before they wake up and I'll have to make a move to help them out.

There was a light rain the whole day we were in Jasper. It was still a very fine day, and the rain didn't stop us from reaching out to have some fun. We went to Maligne Lake where we hopped onto a tour boat:
Trip_08-24-2020 (1).jpg

The boat took us on a journey to Spirit Island, where it dropped us off to stretch our legs and look around:
Trip_08-24-2020 (4).jpg

Tough to see the Rockies in the raining haze, but, it was a good time; and warm enough at 53F.

On the trip into the Rockies, we basically followed the busy CN mainline to Vancouver. There were many trains in motion, but, I couldn't stop and take photos due to the group nature of the trip and time constraints. I made mental notes of where I want to return to, though. I'll haul the wife out of the garden, and take another trip without the kids soon.

Now for some future layout stuff:
I took this photo of the Canadian Rockies, that I think looks very much like a painting:
Trip_08-24-2020 (2).jpg

I plan on using that photo as a guide to making a layout back-drop; I like it. It has that backdrop look in my opinion.

On the way back home, we did stop at a park in Edson. There was a CN caboose on display in the park. Here is the photo:
Trip_08-24-2020 (3).jpg

Don't have much time left to be in here, but, thanks for the likes on my last post, and I did read most everything since then! I'm glad to see a new face in here. Hope he brings in some photos.

Gotta go! Have a good one! Guy

Well, I moved. She had to ride out the old job for two more months. So I snuck into our new home town of Fort Wayne, Indiana (there really was a fort, named after General "Mad" Anthony Wayne) before Covid hit. She had to fly back right in the middle of the mess.

Welcome. Ft Wayne is nice. While I live in Utah, I work remotely out of the Ft Wayne office of the company I work for. (Headquartered in the Bay Area).

Troy, Meant to add my welcome to you. Now I'm going to go and read your other thread!

JOE - Thanks for thinking of me with that picture of Wiley!
I'm enjoying all of your pictures!

Willie - Glad to hear of Arlene's progress. Amazing!
Your "outing" sounds something akin to mine on Sunday ... Won't bore you with all the details, but end result was that I drank one-third of a two liter bottle of Costco Margarita mix w/alcohol when I got back because I was so hot and tired. Fell asleep shortly after and woke up two hours later with throbbing headache.

GUY - That is just a really great photo of the CN caboose! The sun was perfect as to not leave shadows - well done!

Good Morning Everyone.....overcast, but forecasted to be sunny later in the day. Storms hit around 4:00 AM and at 10:00 we had four inches of rain in the rain gauge. We really needed the rain. Soy beans are going dormant where there isn't any irrigation, the grass is brown and the trees were a bit wilted.

Going down to the train room for sure to get away from the news coming from Kenosha, Wisconsin. Why do people burn down the town where they live in?

Building that basically a modern BB kit maybe a change enough to get me out of the down turn I'm having in the hobby. After that 10 minutes of fun to finish the kit then turn to completing the water tower project. I'll leave a mixed freight run while I work at the bench.

Joe: That ACME sign is due out in October 2020! Beep, Beep and away goes Sherrel.

Chet:
Here in Wisconsin we are experiencing the California and Western fires by having the evening sunset and morning sunrise affected by the smoke in the air and there a definite glow.

Willie:
Glad your wife is doing better!

That's all for now.

Greg

#############

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back