Running Bear's April 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Louis- I haven’t played a round in over 30 years. Two reasons. 1). My back couldn’t take the rotation motion after being rear-ended heading down the shore for Independence Day fireworks off the beach in Wildwood(1998, I believe). 2)(and more importantly) I lost my golf partner when Dad passed away almost 30 years ago. We played a 9 hole executive course every Sunday morning. We would tee off every week at 7 am & get home in time to make it to church by 10:45. We played almost every week for close to a decade. From junior high til he got too sick to play. It was also my “home course” in high school, as I played on the JV squad. We were both hackers, so I wasn’t good enough to play varsity. Based on some of the schools in our league(plus some nearby “non-league ones), I got to play some pretty exclusive courses, like Tavistock Country Club & Pine Valley(which was also an über-exclusive borough unto itself- population under 20 & has been rated as #1 course in the country over 30 years since 1985). Pine Valley borough was dissolved a couple years ago, with a population of about 12. The main gate to the club is across the road from the Pine Hill Scout Reservation.
Mike, that is a true blessing to have memories like that.

It's good to see your post old buddy!

I managed to fall, managed to get a ride to the ER with a bloody head, an x-ray, C Scan and three staples later ....
I told the doctor about MOH getting six staples and he said, "Hey, this is not a competition"!
At least it was your head. That's got to be the thickest part. It could have been something you use. 😉

Take good care of yourself. You are important to us. We all keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

Good morning!
FAMILY GUY_DOG.png

1713172960724.png

Grand Rapids & Indiana Railroad Bohannan Switch Lock and Key.​

Good morning. It's clear and 57.
My golfing career ended rather abruptly in 1984. I was participating in a One Club Tournament at Twin Brooks golf course in Gulfport, Florida, when I sliced my ball into another group playing an adjacent hole, hitting one of them in the head. That person was Sam Snead, and in typical Snead fashion, told me, "Son, you need more practice!"
The next day saw me at the Gulfport Pier with a new driver and a bucket of balls. After several shots managed to go all over the bay, one of my companions suggested loosening my grip slightly, since I seemed to be trying to strangle the club. I did loosen my grip, and the next shot went about 150 yards. Well, the club did. The ball went about 50. At that point, I picked up the bucket, went back to the car, got in, and drove home. To my knowledge the club is still in Boca Ciega Bay, and I've limited my golfing to putting at Mini Golf...

Good morning. It's clear and 57.
My golfing career ended rather abruptly in 1984. I was participating in a One Club Tournament at Twin Brooks golf course in Gulfport, Florida, when I sliced my ball into another group playing an adjacent hole, hitting one of them in the head. That person was Sam Snead, and in typical Snead fashion, told me, "Son, you need more practice!"
The next day saw me at the Gulfport Pier with a new driver and a bucket of balls. After several shots managed to go all over the bay, one of my companions suggested loosening my grip slightly, since I seemed to be trying to strangle the club. I did loosen my grip, and the next shot went about 150 yards. Well, the club did. The ball went about 50. At that point, I picked up the bucket, went back to the car, got in, and drove home. To my knowledge the club is still in Boca Ciega Bay, and I've limited my golfing to putting at Mini Golf...

Sounds like you are talking about me. :cool:

Good morning all. A mocha coffee please, Flo.

Laundry to do today. Brownie run with granddaughter tonight. I doubt if I see the train room today.

One from the archives.
Class 45 45048 The Royal Marines is 'on shed' after arriving from London on the 'Thames - Clyde' service. It is at Leeds locomotives are exchanged and another locomotive takes the train to Glasgow.

IMG_2937.JPG

Good evening. A beautiful day in the neighborhood! We hit 82f degrees about 4 hours ago but it’s still nice.

Saw the grandson play this morning where he had a goal and an assist. Later his team won the second game of the day to win the tournament
View attachment 185972

No modeling again today and I’m not sure about Monday
Congratulations to your grandson!

I bet he is thrilled!

Favorite concert... I've been thinking about this, I can't decide.

Black Sabbath's reunion with Ozzy at Ozz Fest. Not only was the show fantastic, but the weather provided a fitting backdrop for a Sabbath show! It went from 90+ to lightning and hail as they began playing. Luckily for us we were in the pavilion, not so lucky for people with lawn seats. To the chagrin of the security, Ozzy called for everyone to pack into the pavilion. It was a mad house, too cool!

As I mentioned, The Blizzard of Ozz was fantastic.

Black Sabbath with Ian Gillian. I could never forget Tony Iommi and Geezer Butler playing "Smoke on the Water"

Every Black Sabbath show was great, regardless of who was singing. I saw all or most of the singers at least once. Ronnie James Dio talked too much, but the man could sing!

Every Ozz Fest show I saw had more than one superior performance. Seeing Disturbed on the small third stage was outstanding! They were the only band I ever saw who laid out rules for the mosh pit and enforced them!

Saxon, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Motorhead, all with the original lineups were fantastic!

The Who was not only a great show they played for over two hours.

I could go on and on, but you get the picture. I saw hundreds of great shows!

I may have forgotten the best show I ever saw. I had too much "fun" in those days. "Smoking and tramping is all that you do, oh yeah!" Anybody know what song that line is from?

I was telling my friend Willy years ago "I wish I had seen Metalica" He said "you not only saw them you sat and had drinks with them when they played the Seagull Inn!" I don't remember, was it was quarter beer night?
I seen Judas Priest and Iron Maiden together in high school. loudest concert I have ever been too.

My ears are still ringing!

Good morning folks!!

Well we made it to our new home and got the things we brought unpacked.

Today it’ll be a little windy but have to get a few things done before the moving truck comes tomorrow.

This move has been a crazy one (I’ll spare everyone the details). Hopefully the truck shows up on time and everything gets unloaded without any problems.

One of these days or weeks I’ll get back to building models and set my railroad back up. One thing about a small railroad is other than maybe a few repairs to scenery or structures, it’s a plug and play. And with the shadow box design, moving it was a breeze. They packed the box and I removed everything that could be removed (structures, trees, course locomotives and cars, figures but place them back where they belong and you’re ready to run.

Not like the last railroad I built that one was destroyed before the move. Kept as much as possible but really had to start from scratch. This time much easier and faster. Which is good.

Well breakfast this morning looks good, thank you Flo best get at it this morning. You all take care!!

Morning all,

64° and cloudy, going for a high of 81° later. Supposed to have some storms late this evening and into the overnight. We need the rain. We had a wetter than normal January, and not much has fallen since. Smaller ponds that filled in January are starting to get dry again.

2 concerts I've been to are The Charlie Daniels Band and Manheim Steamroller. There have been a couple of smaller shows that one radio station group put together for listeners and I had been to a couple of when the wife and I were dating and first married. Nothing in the past 30 years or so. The venues aren't in my opinion set up for tall guys with bad knees.

kgstakes: Did I read you were moving to Kansas or out of the state? I'm in the Wichita metro area myself.

Good morning to those with ringing ears, golf stories and remembrances of concerts gone by. It’s 44f degrees, clear skies to start the day for the 7th day in a row with a high guess of 74 this afternoon. I will check out the lawn cutting equipment later this morning as the grass definitely needs to be cut.

I saw the 5 hockey games the grandson played this weekend. He played well and held up against some much bigger and 1 and 2 year older players. He was born in 2014 but played in the 2013/2012 age group. His line consists of a kid from Dubuque, Iowa and Rockford, Illinois and they started meshing Saturday after the coaches sat the 3 down and told the 2 guys to pass the puck. It should be interesting when they get to Minnesota next week as those players are usually the best around in these types of tournaments.

Concerts, some of the best. We saw Elton John in Chicago 1974 and one of his Vegas residency stays in 2017. The Chicago Transit Authority later known as Chicago in 1969 locally seen in the Chicago area was lots of fun and a night to remember, my girlfriend at the time was very grateful and turned into a concert junkie. Later I heard she became a band groupie!!! I do know later she broke up one of the marriages of the REO Speedwagon. Saw the Moody Blues at Alpine Valley in 1986. Saw Stevie Ray Vaughn with Double Trouble in New York, 1990 a few weeks before he died in a helicopter crash at Alpine Valley. Not sure if any of the above were the best but they are some of the ones that jumped out in my memory. Picking one, I’d go with Elton John in Chicago.

Golf. I started around age 5 pulling dad’s golf cart around the course. He played 9 holes every Sunday with his dad and his 2 uncles for as long as I can remember. I started playing at age 6. At around age 8 I took the place on Sunday of one of my dad’s uncles. My brother took the other uncle spot a year later. The 3 of us played together on Sunday for a number of years until the brother started beating both of us. Dad quit the weekly play after that saying he was getting in our way on the course.

Lots of little things coming up this week. Terry said we will need a list to stay organized this week but what I do remember is Thursday I was volunteered to take the grandson and 2 teammates to hockey practice 50 miles away in Janesville. I said I’ll do Verona on Tuesday this week but the daughter and wife chuckled when I said that. The son in law is in Chicago this week at a client.

enjoy the day

Good Morning folks ... Haven't looked at the weather -- could not sleep with too much on my feeble mind!
Besides - it still smarts rom the fall.
CURT, Boris, KARL and others -- Thanks so much for the well wishes and comments.
I have NO recollection of the fall or ambulance ride to the ER. The first I remember was being "carted" into the ER. Don't remember anything in between including the falling?

I hope that all those in need - obtain the health care they need!

Good afternoon all. Afternoon Tea please. I'll be at the window.

Concerts Before I met Dawn I used to go see some really good local bands. They never made the big time though.
Did see Status Quo with Dawn. Love their music.
Also with Dawn we saw Rod Stewart. Really good; so much so everyone wanted an encore. No chance of that as he had already left. (True)
Tina Turner was out of this world. The audience did not want her to finish her act. She was still singing 70 minutes after her scheduled time. Amazing!!! Simply the Best.

Good morning gang!!

Woke up to pouring rain this morning, but now the skies are sunny with some clouds. 63° and heading to 79°, oh yesss!

Concerts, My 1st one was Eric Clapton, right after the release of the "Slowhand" album. Over the years, Jimmy Buffett several times, along with Jackson Brown, the Eagles, the Doobie Brothers, George Benson, Whitesnake, Skid Row, Toto, the Dixie Chicks, and Kenny Rogers & Dolly Parton. It amazed me how much ladies undergarments were thrown on the stage when Kenny 1st came out, with an equal amount of roses for Dolly.

Golf, I've tried. My oldest sister's late husband was an amateur golfer of some renown in the Saginaw, Bay City, Midland MI area. He took me to the local country club and tried to teach me the game, but it never really clicked. When #4 son was interested in the game he and I would go hit a bucket of balls or 2 at our local driving range I would do well. but got bored of it.
It's much more fun to hit the ball into the Gators mouth than to walk over 30-40 acres of park land. ;)

Flo, I'll have what Bob has!!

BBL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back