Running Bear's April 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those no doubt didn't help mine but I know precisely what caused most of it.
17135814592_6372dbbc24_b.jpg

You will note the muffler, items my late father thought were extraneous. That photo is probably 1961 or 1962. I didn't help it out any when I forgot to pull the muffs down for one shot when sighting in the 300 RUM a number of years back.
At least you got the umbrella. That's good, right?

Well, howdy there internet peeps.

And for those of you who need it, WELL, HOWDY THERE INTERNET PEEPS, IT'S TROY AGAIN! ;)

For grins and giggles, as well as educating my doctor, I started grabbing sound meter readings. This app is on my phone. Checked it several years ago with a pro-level sound meter a buddy uses as a Stagehand Union sound guy. It was almost spot on. Like half a db off.

basement.jpg

Ignore the 65.9 spike. That was the button press on the iPhone to make the screen grab. This one was from my Lay-z-boy. Right next to it is my Honeywell air filter on medium, and Jazz is playing on the soundsystem (Klipsch RB1s). My Dennon receiver says it's putting out 47.5 db - for what it's worth there. Most of the sound hitting the meter would be from the speakers. So add +10 db to whatever the receiver says.

Again. This isn't a case of OH Wow! I've got tinnitus... rather, why is it getting worse the last three months? I need to gather the receipts that I am careful about my hearing, and don't exist in loud environments for long. I even wear can-earmuffs (shoot range rated) when running the leaf blower or a power saw.

In other news, I remembered that I need to send a letter into HRM's tax blokes. I wonder if they'll realize I made them wait in queue to get the letter? ;) Too much other stuff to do first. Its due on the 15th. I'll send it today.

Good morning All!!!
Prayers of strength, healing, positive vibes and patience for all in need. Myself included.
Every morning when I walk in, I check to see what Bill has shared.
Wasn't disappointed. :)
Flo, if you don't mind, could you please surprise me with a breakfast order?
Will take a large coffee and triple shot of Irish Creme while I wait.
On another note of interest, thought I felt a bit of a tremor this morning.
Waiting to see if the news reports anything.🤔
Just more incentive to get dressed. Nothing worse than searching for knickers in a collapsed hut.o_Oo_O🤣

Good morning from day 4 of a bright sky morning in So. Central Wisconsin. It looks so nice out there but ignore the trees doing their exercises trying to touch the ground with the tree branches. It is breezy at 18mph with gusts into the high 20’s. 49f degrees now going up to 55.

Hockey returns at 5:15pm today as the grandson plays about 20 minutes away as his Spring ice hockey season begins. 20 games guaranteed with more if they win over the next 6 weekends and he says he’s stroked!

Not much going on here besides the hockey. Terry and I will ride the ATV with the surveyor as we discuss what we can do with new woodland acreage. Her team will do the boundary surveying today and tomorrow and the title company is checking to see that the deeds are in order. We should have answers on the survey and deeds late next week. As for the woodlands, that idea discussion will take months…

It feels great to be engaged in real estate again

enjoy the day

Last edited:
Morning folks

48F and cloudless with a forecast high of 69. For my preferences, it doesn't get much better than that. Costco run to waste the morning but I'm going to also hit the antique store at Gateway. Looking for some Globe-Wernicke parts. Those seem few and far between around here. There is a lot of stuff on flebay but that isn't the sort of stuff I want shipped across the country.

I had the 68 out and about yesterday after I installed some JK bump stops on the rear to take the rattle out of the Kayline tire carrier. That was successful. I purchased that Jeep last summer after selling the problem plagued JK Unlimited Rubicon. Rusted out and beat up, but runs like a champ. The person I got it from had gone through the brakes and steering.

53647662621_e1358aac6e_b.jpg

53647662436_dab35a39dc_b.jpg

Another photo from the April 73 "collection".
53647992567_f9050fe379_b.jpg

not much goin on. went to Eagles tribute band last night. Hotel California. they been playing Eagles stuff for 37 yrs. really good. been around the world their regular bass player taking some time off , so they had a stand in & if I heard right he was with the band Triumph
goin out to the *bush*, (no interweb) for 9 or 10 days
all - maintain &/or improve health .

Good Morning All. Clear and 45° on the plains of North Central Texas. Should be enjoying 80° later today. Won't dip back into the 40's until next Friday if the weather geeks are correct.

No issues yesterday with the weekly grocery trek, I managed without my wife's assistance. Once again, I noted slowly rising prices or shrinking of container sizes on many things that I purchase. I'd rather pay the rising prices because the shrinking container sizes screws with some recipes that I've followed for years. Gasoline around the area seems to have stabilized this week at $3.35/gal at most all places. The President says that there is no inflation(???), but prices are still higher than 3.5 years ago and I don't foresee them coming down any time ever.
My good news is that even though the overall Stock Market didn't recover as much yesterday as it lost in the bloodbath Wednesday, my particular blend of ETF's actually more than recovered with a gain of $170. I'll take that any day! Looking back over time, I wish that I was more active in managing my retirement accounts before retiring! I could have retired much earlier. Futures this morning don't look so hot, but a lot can and does happen before closing.

I'm not sure of today's level of outdoor activity yet, yes parts of the yard need mowing, but much of the ground is still too soft to support the mower without leaving tread marks. Possibly in the area next to my hay field in the higher areas. The south and east are more firm, but I mowed them Sunday and Monday before the rain. After spending the whole day yesterday inside, the granddog has been out all morning since sunup. He hasn't wandered more than 50' from the house in all of the times that I checked on him. So many new to him smells! I'm grilling a steak tonight, so he gets some bonus fat for supper.

I did get back to some project work out in the train shed yesterday. I am continuing my quarterly cleaning on the second quadrant of the lower level. All of the main line and the two passing sidings have been inspected for loose parts, rubbed with the Woodland Scenics Tidy Track cleaner with the non-abrasive pads and I went over it all with the hand-held vacuum yesterday. I'll move cars off the spurs and do the same today on all of them. Probably won't finish that until tomorrow since there are 12 of them in total. I'll be getting off my feet occasionally by preparing and painting more of those "forgotten" detail parts over on the workbench. Got to get them out of the way before I start bringing structures over for cleaning, repairing (if needed) and adding additional details to a few.
I don't have any new pictures to post yet, so how about a repeat of some older ones that some might not have seen yet.
Here's a pair of Dash9-44CW's traversing the upper deck in April 2020.
04-07-20 018.JPG

04-07-20 020.JPG

04-07-20 022.JPG

Tom O - I never have to be concerned about the non-existent snow removal equipment here! ;)
Terry - We're still not seeing many electric automobiles here in Texas. My SIL is beginning to have regrets about getting his. Much of it has to do with him only having a level 1 charger in his garage. Overnight charging only gets him about 35%, making it impractical for every day usage without visiting a charging station occasionally. Since his is not a Tesla, there aren't many options nearby. Purchasing an adapter or upgrading to a level 2 is not on his mind since it's just a three year lease.
Mac - Those stop signs on the rail spurs are priceless!

Today is National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day, so enjoy.

Everyone have a fabulous Friday.

Good (late) afternoon. Flo. Keep a Pusser's rum ready for when I arrive. The last of the grandchildren are going home in ten minutes.

Ebay. A little while back, some eight or nine years ago a guy was selling a road haulage book for £500 ($600). I have the same titled book signed by the author. I wonder what he would have tried to sell that one for if he had it?

Grocery Prices. Prices are still rising. Stores record massive profits; profits into £billions??? and nothing is said.
The old saying :- The rich get richer. The lazy do nothing. The middle class pay for it, comes to mind.

Last edited:
Grocery Prices. Prices are still rising. Stores record massive profits; profits into £billions??? and nothing is said.
The old saying :- The rich get richer. The lazy do nothing. The middle class pay for it, comes to mind.

Just remember theat their profits have to go up in order to be the same. In other words, the inflated pound or dollar isn't worth as much as it was last year or three years ago so to have the same profit in terms of worth they have to have a higher profit in terms of number of pounds or dollars.

The stores aren't the bad guys. Monetary inflation is caused by politicians who print money or make other market distorting bad decisions that have the same effect of upsetting the monetary supply vs the supply of goods and services.

Also remember that profits come from a margin of the price / cost so that if the money inflates, the profits will go up as an absolute number because 20% or a higher price is a larger number. But see above. The currency doesn't buy as much so the profits really aren't higher.

You get what you vote for.

Afternoon All,

Started out the day with a walk at 64F and breezy. After animal chores MOH and I (mainly me) used bleach water to clean window frames (painted aluminum) of the mildew they accumulate. MOH made up the water, but she used so much bleach I ended up with a minor chemical burn on the right hand. :confused: No train room time today.

Mike- That is beyond ridiculous. I'm glad I model the 50's.

Bill- Interesting station.

David- I hope you had fun today. You forgot "homeowners are everyone's cash cow".

Grizzled- The jeep looks like it will last forever. Nice box car photo.

Willie- Nice motive power photos.

Chad- Unfortunately both parties have many idiots.

I hope everyone has a good night.

My good news is that even though the overall Stock Market didn't recover as much yesterday as it lost in the bloodbath Wednesday, my particular blend of ETF's actually more than recovered with a gain of $170. I'll take that any day! Looking back over time, I wish that I was more active in managing my retirement accounts before retiring! I could have retired much earlier. Futures this morning don't look so hot, but a lot can and does happen before closing.
Of course today was even a more worse (worser) bloodbath (at least for my wife's self directed 401k I manage). Only 1 ETF had a gain and it was only a penny and my AAPL shares rose as well (which are in the 401k and there are less than 20 shares). On about $67k it was down $1k today after $800 on Wednesday with a couple hundred gain yesterday. (I don't know how the indexes fared so don't know the overall market conditions but they don't appear to be positive).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back