Running Bear’s October 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning from the far SW! After 4 straight days of triple digits - we are expecting a 97 high today - with naturally clear skies. I have been ignoring the local news stations, so have no idea about the fire progressions.
Did I even post yesterday? I'm losing it guys! All I remember is that I had one cuppa and then SWMBO said that it was time to muck out the homestead for the carpet cleaning guy - move everything that is not nailed down and vacuum, vacuum, vacuum. I had forgotten that we have so much "stuff"!
This morning I am sitting here in an almost empty room; I had to unload the couch to have a place to sit and using a chair for my coffee cup ... sure wish I had a couple of TROY's donuts to go with the coffee? TROY reminds me of when I worked the early morning departure from LAX/JFK leaving at 6 AM. On the way to the crew parking lot, I would stop at this little Vietnamese donut shop and grab two dozen right-out-of-the-oven fresh ones - one box for the ops crew and one box for the cabin and gate guys and girls. That's too early in the morning NOT to have fresh coffee and a pastry of some sort!

It's starting to become daylight, so I will sign off -- have to help the Spousal Unit re-arrange all the rooms again. I did not even clear the bed last evening -- just pushed things around to make a place to lie down. The pups who normally sleep near the foot - were lost and thought they were being punished.

I'll return when I have time to check out everyone's postings, promise!

Morning All! It was open run night at the club, and I did some testing in service. Each model pulled a 19 car train around the layout and handled our ruling 2% grade without breaking a sweat. No slowdown, no slipping drivers, no binds or loping. All is well. For Sherrel's sake Here is some more video. You still don't get a minute, just a run by. There is no sound to test, and a full minute would either require a lot of distance from the train, or running along beside it which would make the video jiggly. Sorry dude, you'll have to make do!. Maybe loop it! 😂😂

The 2-10-4 got a largish Sagami can motor that was in the box of parts. The 2-10-2 got one of those low RPM motors I got on e-Bay. It is running at full speed in the video. I like this approach. It slows down the models to a scale speed that is more realistic.

2-10-4 5029 A.JPG

2-10-2 3840.JPG

Good morning ....

Troy .... Does that bakery have powered sugar donuts? I like that kind.

Alan ... The Santa Fe 2-10-2 and 2-10-4 locos are fabulous.

Willie ..... You get more done on a "slow, short day" than I do in a week ! ...... You mentioned corn flakes, Kelloggs is located in Battle Creek, MI. Below is a train in Battle Creek with the GTW station behind it.

50407503283_95bc5af844.jpg

Good morning from cool and wet So. Center Wisconsin. We may hit 50 today but with the on/off rain it doesn’t matter.
The son and his new copilot/gf are flying in today from Austin and will flyback Monday. We are having a family meeting
in person instead of Zoom. This is our 2 kids and us only. We had a big Zoom family meeting with the niece, my sister
and my brother on Thursday. My brother has moved to Hawaii, sold his place in Neveda and has his Arizona place for sale as of last Monday. He would like us all out in Hawaii. I have too much business and property here in Wisconsin but will let the kids decide.
My dream years ago was a family compound in nice weather, but the little brother always says no. All of a sudden it’s a great idea because he wants to do it.

Trains, trees are almost completely planted but a few more, 10-15, maybe needed. The landscape inspector will visit the train room after laundry is done, her decision will decide it. I have 2 Gp35’s in WC colors and DC only left to sell and a couple steam, 1 is brass and has a broken side rod and the other is a new in the box yet HO GS4 SP but by Lionel that I sort of remember buying. Other then that I have 1 loco on the layout. I am seriously thinking of going back to Dead Rail. I would sell my ProtoThrottles and my ESU Cab Control DCC system. Such tough life decisions.

Wear your mask, don’t take chances

TomO

ALAN - LOL, you remind me of the intro in the 50's Superman TV show!
Faster than a speeding bullet - More powerful than a locomotive!
Well, 22 seconds is better than I can put out there -- You have done a beautiful work there!
That last photo I am saving - fantastic!

WILLIE - Once again I apologize to you again! It seems that I am determined to mis-spell Arlene's name!

Welcome to Sat. in Southern Oregon at the border. 47 degrees, a slight haze, wind has shifted, visibility= more than 10 miles

I do admire the artistic talents that some of these vandals exhibit. Interesting waste of spray paint
Greg...agreed, there is some really good talent out there. I'm sure this coil car is still around, I haven't seen it for a long time--before the time that we had the phone cameras that we have now, several years ago, on a coil car cover, this guy had painted a three dimensional, gargoyle looking creature ripping it's way out of the cover, It looked GOOD!

Everything has a moment in time.🙃
Tom.... 10-4 on that! 👍

Willie...I really like your layout pics. I had never seen that much of your model railroad before...👍

Everybody...Thanx for the like & comments...just one of the reasons I like this forum........👍

HAVE A GREAT DAY!

Good morning drizzle this morning and cool here in this part of Wisconsin.

While I stated before that there are many talented graffiti painters, there's another side to the cost of removing the damage that graffiti creates. When I was working on our properties parking lot signage was hit hard by graffiti and the service corridors behind the retail stores, especially the Food Court was the favorite spot for "tagging". We recorded the graffiti for the local gang squad to identify which gangs were in the area. If we caught a tagger we would press charges for the damage he caused.

Graffetti bred graffiti and it was important to remove the graffiti as soon as it was discovered to prevent additional tagging by other gang members. The City of Milwaukee has strict rules on the display and sale of spray paint to discourage graffiti by preventing the sale of spray paint to would be taggers.

After lunch down to the train room for the afternoon.

How fast do you run your trains? I like operating at a slow speed which makes my layout look larger and the detail of the locomotives and rolling stock easier to see. I been watching videos of Mike Confalone's Allagash Railway and the slow speeds of his trains is great and run flawlessly.

Listening to Willie Nelson sing the "City of New Orleans". Listening to Willie sing that song gets me into the railroading mood. I have a cassette of yard locomotives that I'll play while at the work bench in the train room.

That's all for now.....

Greg

###########################

The Highway Men singing the ity of Orleans with Willie Nelson.....

Good afternoon gang!
Not much going on here, was dead tired getting home from w*rk yesterday, crashed out before dinner and slept till this morning, and waking up with an ear infection. A trip to the Doc and an Rx later, here I sit. Going to try and get some projects off the workbench.

Alan, amazing brass locos, I'm so jealous!

Probably. There’s almost always stray powdered sugar on my chocolate frosted

10355072.jpg

It needs to be made presentable and operationally bulletproof by October 2021, since I'll be hosting an op session for out-of-town visitors at MER convention.
Need help there Ken? Remember, I'm only 20 minutes away for testing your bulletproofness!!

Time to get to the workbench, and a little
51YLZWLADKL.jpg
to set the choo choo mood!

L8ter!

ALAN - LOL, you remind me of the intro in the 50's Superman TV show!
Faster than a speeding bullet - More powerful than a locomotive!
Well, 22 seconds is better than I can put out there -- You have done a beautiful work there!
That last photo I am saving - fantastic!

There's a reason for that: That show airs here at 5:00 AM central on the Heroes & Icons channel, and I'm usually awake at that time. The trains in the intro are: The Coast Daylight pulled by what appears to be a GS-3 4-8-4 in the black & white shows, and E units on the color shows! Love it. My TV plays all night long most nights so my head will stop talking to itself and let me sleep! Like I said, just loop the video until you get a full minute! 🤪 🤪

Hey all,

the ebay situation was resolved this morning. The buyer issued a full refund and told me to keep it. What a relief that was. All is not lost with humanity. Sculptamold and paving tape came in earlier. Waiting on a few more items then I'll be able to get going with streets, sidewalks, trees, and grass. I hope that y'all are having a restful day!

Hey all,

the ebay situation was resolved this morning. The buyer issued a full refund and told me to keep it. What a relief that was. All is not lost with humanity. Sculptamold and paving tape came in earlier. Waiting on a few more items then I'll be able to get going with streets, sidewalks, trees, and grass. I hope that y'all are having a restful day!
You can reassemble it, position the drivers roughly where they need to be, and have a free display model.

Afternoon All,

Spent almost 2 hours outside doing chores. At least it was cool with low humidity. In the train room today I cut the long rock faces lengthwise and covered the 5 rock faces in A&I. After that I elevated the outside edge of the track that loops around the TT/RH and the left hand back back curve.

Lee- Interesting truck photo. Is the trailer on a flat car? I can't tell.

Willie- Nice looking buildings, scenes and locos.

Alan- Beautiful locos that look like a great pullers.

TomO- We lived in HI from 1981-1995 while both of us were in the Navy. The cost of living was to put it mildly ridiculous. Gas was $2 a gallon in 1995.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good evening Shop Dwellers! 48*F and clear in central MD.

Need help there Ken? Remember, I'm only 20 minutes away for testing your bulletproofness!!
. . .
Thanks Karl, I do appreciate the offer. I plan to do two rehearsals of the op session - one to find the bugs, and another to confirm that they get worked out. For the more immediate future, I'd like to bring my GP40 #3754 over to your place to have you put a GP40 sound file in the decoder, to replace the GP38 one that it came with.

TomO - I wound up ordering a few sets of those commercial dumpsters from Walthers.com yesterday. First I checked the MBK and Trainworld websites; neither one of them seem to know these things exist, go figure...

BTW - my covid test results came back today: NEGATIVE

Advanced search on their website is IMO the best one of the model railroad suppliers.

TomO
That's the one I have used with sometimes success, most times not, even when I have used the exact wording of the item's title, which has been very frustrating when then having to trawl through the pages to find it. So much so I avoid their site totally now, or It has to be something I can't find elsewhere.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back