Running Bear’s June 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Shop Dwellers, we've got 78*F and calm under threatening skies, possible T-storm looming on the western horizon.

The "likes" on my brief Sunday evening post are very much appreciated: Tom of Cambria, Hughie, Troy, Sherrell, Guy, Rick, Steve, Patrick, Gary, Tom-O, Karl. I went back as far as page 14 to catch up on the posts, don't really have time read the entire week's worth.

Today was a full work day for me, so not enough free time left over for any meaningful progress in the trainroom. Probably just as well, I think I need to decompress a bit from my week-long layout drapery marathon.

Tom (Cambria) - I actually saw a sunset yesterday that looked almost as pretty as yours in my front yard yesterday. Tried to snap a photo with my cellphone camera, but the vivid colors got all washed-out to pale yellow so I didn't even bother posting it.

Steve - your kitchen looks great! And congrats on tackling the plumbing challenge - that's always been my Achilles Heel as far as handiwork goes.

James - I bet all the kids love seeing that Burro crane in action! Does it actually have a working hoist and clamshell bucket...or does it just sit and "look purty?" Inquiring minds want to know...

Guy - I really like those Accurail outside-braced wood boxcars! Accurail is one of my favorite manufacturers, their competitive pricing and quality make them what I consider to be the "Blue Box" of modern times. All of my auto rack cars are by Accurail - that was the only way I could afford to build a roster for my auto assembly plant [lol]!

...oh crap, that storm is closer than I thought - gotta get off NOW!

Good Night - and have a Pleasant Tomorrow!

The burro crane is operational and by remote control. Pretty much everything is a labor of love for these guys it's really phenominal to see all this equipment. I have taken a lot more pics but I would be all day loading them up. I am still at awe of the vast size and the amount of participants and locomotive/rolling stock there. You really can't appreciate it via pictures you have to see it in person. The sounds and smells etc. It the real deal.

Been away for 4 days. like all the photos & stories. Unlike Guy, I am a reptile-ablsorb all the heat I can get during the day, & keep it in with a sweater at night. Some pics I got : a pusher in the middle, this mornings breaky, (sorry Flo), a Hummer, bees arse sticking up out of the flower, & a flat car with cans. Sorry, Hummer video wont load as it is a .MOV file. It is a 6 second vid of a hummingbird having a few refreshments about 20 inches from where I videoed him.
MM- before I zoomed in, it looked like scrapple on those eggs.
Hughie- that hardware store is looking majestic. It would surely make Howard green w/envy.
Garry- that truss bridge looks pretty sharp.
Willie- your weather sure beats what my buddy in Tempe is dealing with this week(114-118° for daily high temps).
Chet- from your pics, the club layout looks pretty good.
Guy- nice engine & storm pictures. Always nice when storms bring cooler weather on the back side of them.
Tom O- the drive in from my hometown finally opened this spring, after being closed for about 10 years. Weber’s Drive In. They still use carhops that hang the tray on the window. They even brought back the neon sign, which was before my time(first opened in ‘59).
35F6ABBC-1A56-4F85-B578-F939F25BB8C9.jpeg

Patrick- seeing a new doc is a pain in the bootie, but as you said, it is what it is.
Flo(or Vera, not sure who works Wednesday AM shift)-

Flo(or Vera- not sure who’s got Wednesday AM shift this week)- A couple 3-4 eggs scrambled, a couple slices of “everything but the oink”, a cuppa Joe black & some pumpernickel toast, buttered, PATY.

Morning all,

Supposed to be 99° today and 100° tomorrow, depending on which weather guesser you subscribe to. Hot in any case.

I think I'm feeling the Shingrex shot as I'm just in a blah, achy, tired mood. Hopefully today is quiet.

Mike: Like the sign and hopefully the food is good. The town I live in can't hardly keep local restaurants, but we have the Franchise places. A couple of "clicks" in town where if you're not a part of and serve the wrong customer the wrong way, instant death to the restaurant. No support. Local Dairy Queen while a franchise, lost a ton of business when the local folks sold it and a new franchisee took over. Service changed and a lot of folks quit going.

Good afternoon. Finally made it back home with the new addition, Olivia. She is a very sweet little girl and even at the age of one, she still has a lot of puppy in her.

View attachment 129013

The trip was interesting. Everything went well until we passed Cheyenne, WY into Colorado. Nothing but construction and traffic southbound and the northbound side was worse with an 8 mile backup with traffic at a standstill with 4 lanes going into 2. This continued almost to Colorado Springs.
Willie was correct when he mentioned the speeds that Texans drive. I assume that the speed limit is more of a suggestion. Running at 85 mph and having the headlights sucked out of the front of the car. Also noticed a real shortage of rest areas. We did try to stop on a fairly regular basis so Molly could get out, go potty and get a drink.

The people running the place we picked up Olivia were outstanding. They do rescues, breeding, boarding, Grooming and doggie day care. We had all sorts of paperwork as to her health with the vet records, and a supply of food, a collar and leash for the trip home and some wonderful advice.

With Colorado being such a cluster f--k and and that we would be going through on a Friday evening, we chose to take a bit of a detour. Being that we are both retired now, why not. Went I-35 north and worked our way over to I-29 to Sioux Falls, SD, where we finally turned west towards home. Got into town just before noon today.

The little one rode quite well. The dogs were alternating between the front and back seat. Olivia got to nap a lot of the time.

View attachment 129014 Going to cut it short today, have a beer (or 2, or more) and relax.

Later
Awwww she is gorgeous

Here is “my” tractor. It’s mine because I’m the only one here old enough to have operated the thing when it was new. The man driving it’s parents were in first grade when it was new…View attachment 129054
And blimey it is well cared for nice and clean model, maybe I shoils NOT have weathered mine lol
or present model is a Kubota with cab, to move IBc s water containers on pallets great for the garden,for bird sets, can be seed for goat shelters, wood stores, in fact you get the wire cage a metal pallet and a large water tub very useful items. I have even used mine as a quicnsution and throw plants and keep birds off,do not grow beans all around them though lol you have to ripe em to get to the beans unless you use just one side.
B7D27F4E-690D-45D3-AA34-33BAAF9A6A85.jpeg

We had something similar that Dad cobbled up and attached to the 3 point hitch on our tractors. Speaking of which here is the tractor I had when I 1st moved into the neighborhood. Of course I drove it here straight from the farm, on a Saturday afternoon when It seemed the whole neighborhood was cutting grass. Needless to say, I got a few stares.View attachment 129064
Problem was a 3200 pound lawnmower was a bit too much for a half acre lot, so eventually I downsized to something a bit more manageable (with cruise control) ;)
Man they were just jealous.

We have an old indoor greenhouse tractor and it is not as well cared for or loved as your guys, in fact we sold the Ford,but have 3 Kubota very small small and medium, and two big ride on lawnmowers 4 gangs and two old house garden lawnmowers both beyond redemption we had planned to just run them for the kids but never got around to it,luckily the barn and packing shed have space for them to sit there,may eventually donate to a museum lol

Played my drive on 4 out of nine. Not great percentage as I felt the need for speed so to speak, and got a tad wild on a few. But I also hit a few greens that the others could not even reach, so that felt good. I'm a mid-90s player, if you know much about golf, which is not bad for a once-a-week guy. I have fun.

I did caddy for Tom Watson once right after he won the US Open in 1982. He played a charity event in Pawling, NY my hometown. His caddy had Monday's off so I caddy for him. On a 160 yard par 3 he hit 6 iron. I said, that's the same club I hit here. He commented, I don't try to kill the ball.
On the 880 yard par 6 Lowell Thomas course, the longest hole in the world. He hit diver, 3 wood, 3 wood, pitching wedge and made the putt for a birdie 5.
George

Good Morning All. Clear and 73°, pool temperature is 83°. Our ever-changing weather forecast took another turn today, with thunderstorms added for next Tuesday-Wednesday. I have been reading about the temperatures up north, gosh you guys must really be suffering in the heat. While upper 90's and triple digits are the norm here from June to mid-September, we are used to it.
I had a busy day yesterday, starting with the oil change in the car, then installing the one window A/C that I always remove in the winter, picking and pressure canning another batch of green beans, and finally doing a 45 minute session mowing with the tractor. Three trips to the pool were good breaks in the action.

Just a load of bacon and a toasted English Muffin this morning Francine. Make it an apple juice to drink.

Thanks for all of the likes and comments for the workers yesterday; Chad, Garry, Troy, Karl, Patrick, Hughie, Tom O, Guy, Gary, Rick, Tom, Sherrel, Jaz.

I didn't visit the train shed yesterday, since I was busy all day on tasks. Then we went to a restaurant in Denton for a birthday celebration for a friend. Ronnie just turned 73. He still hauls horses for a living. His wife has worked with mine for nearly 20 years.
Here are a few pictures that I took the other day. I was detailing Woody's Country Mart and once again I realized that I was detailing a side of the structure that no one would see unless it was off the layout. Near my workbench is a Chinese take-out place that faces into the layout, but I had added figures inside that cannot be seen normally.
IMG_6578.JPG

IMG_6576.JPG

IMG_6577.JPG

At least I know that they are there.

Troy - We need another token agnostic now that Beady is no longer posting. He stopped just before you joined us here. Good luck with the cola endeavor. I went through a similar thing with my wife's Caffeine-Free Diet Coca Cola for a while last year. Seems that there was a can shortage or some other excuse. I generally had to get larger bottles of it and she threw away everything over 12 ozs.
Chet - Yes, the news media is only focused on reporting the number of Covid cases and deaths, and the number of vaccines distributed. Nothing about recoveries and number of folks who built up immunity. The kudos for the vaccine success are being heaped (by the news providers) on the wrong man as well.
My experiences with LG appliances has been mixed, but a telling sign about them is that the repairman that we have used for over 30 years, says that his company will no longer service them. They cannot guarantee the results because the replacement parts are either no longer available or they are junk. He also said that those repairs take up too much of the repairman's time that the company would rather spend on the appliances that they sell. Except for the new freezer and window A/C's, all of our appliances are 25+ years old.
The humidity that we are experiencing in Texas right now is unusual for most areas more than 100 miles from the coast. It has been much higher than normal years.
Hughie - Really nice job on the Majestic Hardware.

Everyone have a great hump day.

Good morning gang!

Flo, my breakfast angel of the morning, may I get 2 eggs over easy, a country fried steak with hash browns,, light toast and bacon? Imma lil hungry!

Weather is gorgeous this morning, with 64° for a morning temp, heading to 76° with low humidity. Almost too nice to be at w*rk, but tolerable. Supposed to be this way for the rest of the week, gradually getting up to the mid 80's by Sunday.

I did get some more work done on the final Midland GP38 last night. May do final assembly tonight. May go back to the 2-8-0 (detail parts are here now) or go back to the WM chop nose Geeps (more parts here) , there are also 2 more Midland GP9s in black scheme and about a dozen WM engines to be painted/detailed/DCCed. Plus 4 Rubbermaid tubs of structure kits and new benchwork to build. It sucks having ADD in the basement!!

Good Morning!
Not much is being repetitive with the weather around here. An unbearably hot, cloudless day Monday, with rain all day yesterday, and today will be a cooler hair-straightener with the winds hitting near 40mph. - No matter what, I have to work through it in order to get that deck built. On the brighter side, I'm not packing plywood in the wind, so it should be ok.

Mike - I remember neon signs lining the street in the city, when I was young. Coming from a small town, I thought they were beautiful. That Weber's sign alone would lure me in for a burger.

Willie - That's a neat looking little Chinese take-out. - You need to get the spray bottle out and give it a clean. All that dust makes it look like an unappetizing place to pick-up some grub.

I don't know if anyone is interested in modern CN tractor/trailer transports, but I took a few photos of a truck passing through town yesterday.
Personally, I have no interest in these modern units other that to have a few photos for the historical record. Here's a few photos of a tractor and it's trailer:
CN Tractor_06-15-2021 (1).jpg

CN Tractor_06-15-2021 (2).jpg

CN Tractor_06-15-2021 (3).jpg

I believe that tractor hauls for the railroad, unless CN has their own trucking company, as well.

I'm going to repost a photo of the hardware store I built for my future layout, just because I'm kinda proud of this structure and I like it:
AceHardware_WalthersHobbyShop.jpg

Have a good one! I need to get going on my way!

I did caddy for Tom Watson once right after he won the US Open in 1982. He played a charity event in Pawling, NY my hometown. His caddy had Monday's off so I caddy for him. On a 160 yard par 3 he hit 6 iron. I said, that's the same club I hit here. He commented, I don't try to kill the ball.
On the 880 yard par 6 Lowell Thomas course, the longest hole in the world. He hit diver, 3 wood, 3 wood, pitching wedge and made the putt for a birdie 5.
George
My golfing claim to fame is when I beaned Sam Sneed while we were both playing in a charity “one club” tournament. He shot a 68 on that round, while I shot 100, including the penalty for losing the ball (he threw the ball in the lake).

Good morning global modelers from the south deck in So. Central Wisconsin. It is a bit chilly to be on the breezy deck this morning. Only 64f degrees but heading into the mid 80’s today and as have the last many days, not a cloud in the sky. Everything here seems to be turning summer heat dorment brown. We are in need of a good steady rain.

Looks like much of the Crew is checking in the last few days, love a lively diner.

Chet and Willie, against the advice of my daughter, one of his buddies and his great parents he wouldn’t listen for a reason. 12 days and he had the LG washer. Any other brand seemed to be at around 30 days till delivery and to me that is a nasty joke. I am so tired of, well you know things slowed down with Covid. Best Buy was worst then HD and the unit was the same price but it would have come from a warehouse in Tulsa to Houston and then finally to Austin where their delivery contractor would schedule a delivery date at +30 days.

Today, after the morning walk and shower we will be heading about 50 miles north of us. Just touring a town for a couple hours, heading back and we will stop for lunch somewhere on the way home. My sister does not want me at her operation in Phoenix, says she is not dying! Not sure if I should listen or not.

My great experience of a life time trip is off the table. My brother has a good friend who is delivering 3 yatchs from Fort Lauderdale, Florida to Sydney. Turns out we don’t qualify to land in Sydney. The trip would have taken about 6 weeks and no way do I want to be gone 6 weeks. It was a paid trip too, about 1000 a week and the brother would have been the evening chef and me his sous chef. It might have been fun in my 30’s but not at 68. Nope not going.

If any of you had planned to attend Trainfest in November outside of Milwaukee, Wi. , don‘t as it is cancelled for 2021 and maybe gone for good.

TomO

57C36C04-7DBF-45EE-B7C3-45802F51B0BA.jpeg

Howdy RR Fans! Six more weeks of this and they will have to haul me to the nut house - these two cannot keep their hands off of each other!
FLO, Just a coffee to go. I have to find a hiding place for a few hours. My three pups are all trying to get under my legs for protection at the same time to try and get away from the commotion.
OK -- It's hardly been much past a week or so that I was starting a fire in the fireplace - not so anymore! The fireplace lit itself yesterday with a recorded 108F/42C official temp. The A/C's cleaned out the cobwebs yesterday!
Just for kicks, The previous record high for June 15 was 94 in 2008!

Willie - That Chinese joint could use a name change - It looks like 'The Red Dragon' to me!

Morning all,

Supposed to be 99° today and 100° tomorrow, depending on which weather guesser you subscribe to. Hot in any case.

I think I'm feeling the Shingrex shot as I'm just in a blah, achy, tired mood. Hopefully today is quiet.

Mike: Like the sign and hopefully the food is good. The town I live in can't hardly keep local restaurants, but we have the Franchise places. A couple of "clicks" in town where if you're not a part of and serve the wrong customer the wrong way, instant death to the restaurant. No support. Local Dairy Queen while a franchise, lost a ton of business when the local folks sold it and a new franchisee took over. Service changed and a lot of folks quit going.
Here in Marshfield, we have an older DQ on the south end of town & a newer “Grill & Chill” on the north end. Across the road from the one on the south end, a local ice cream parlor opened up & does what appears to be at least double the volume as DQ. Not sure if DQ is locally owned or big franchisee, but rarely see much traffic there. Most of their business appears to be drive-thru, because they have a very small footprint. Maybe a 1/2 dozen banquettes, The local parlor appears to be family owned/operated, is very involved in the community & uses WI dairy ice cream(Chocolate Shoppe, which is out of Madison). They’re on the site of the old Dog & Suds drive in.

Good Morning all! Another hot one forecasted today. To show just how strange Texas weather can be, yesterday it hit 98 in Houston, Galveston broke the high temp record from1911 with 96 and last evening, 6:00 PM-ish hail. That's right, ice falling from the sky.

Scrambled eggs and bacon, please

Thank you for the likes on the Majestic Hardware. The plan is to let it set where it is a few days, then move to 1 or 2 other spots to see where it seems to fit best. I had TJ Reilly's ordered, another Bar Mills structure, but the vendor refunded my money since he didn't have it. Downer.

STAY SAFE

LATER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back