Running Bear’s June 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least it's open now.

Morning all,

Partly cloudy and 55° this morning. I'm here alone all day as our part-time tech is off for 10 weeks for a summer internship he needs to get his degree and my full time tech is out for a vacation day. It will be an interesting day as I got the servers moved and updated by a little after 10:00 am yesterday. PD reported no issues.

BBL...

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 62°, at least it's not raining. Maybe I can open up the pool today. I ended up with 1.5" yesterday. Although it's not the wettest month of May in my 40 years here, it was wet enough with more than 7". I am not 100% sure since I was out of town for a while and the gauge fell over in the wind. May of 1982 saw 13.5" and May of 2015 saw 21". Supposed to have three days of no rain, then it starts again on Friday.

A pair of over easy eggs and a plateful of bacon will do this morning Flo.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding yesterday's post with the wildflower pictures; Sherrel, Troy, Ken, Garry, Tom O, Karl, Patrick, Hughie, Gary, Guy, Tom. I have a few more random ones left. Here's a few from the Fat Ass Ranch & Winery.
IMG_6447.JPG

IMG_6453.JPG

IMG_6454.JPG
IMG_6455.JPG
IMG_6456.JPG

IMG_6460.JPG

Like many other places in Fredericksburg, they only grow the grapes here and contract the winemaking to an outside winery. Their wines that we sampled in their tasting room were a bit too sweet for our tastes.

I did get to spend some time in the train shed yesterday. I started another structure kit, Woody's Country Mart, another Landmark Structure from DPM.
IMG_6519.JPG

Got the main walls assembled.
IMG_6520.JPG

IMG_6521.JPG

They went into the paint booth and should be dry today. I'm sure you're asking, "Where the hell is he going to put that?". Well that's the big project that I alluded to yesterday. I have an unfinished area about 32" x 72" with a couple of temporarily placed structures on it.
IMG_6524.JPG

Step one will be to remove everything and install the backdrop. It will be a couple of days however, while I wait for the yard to dry out some so I can set up the sawhorses outside and cut it.

Tom O - I have only had one thunderstorm that was that severe here. Water was 6" deep on the road going uphill! Fortunately I was less than a half mile from home when I encountered that.

Everybody have a great day. Stay safe.

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 62°, at least it's not raining. Maybe I can open up the pool today. I ended up with 1.5" yesterday. Although it's not the wettest month of May in my 40 years here, it was wet enough with more than 7". I am not 100% sure since I was out of town for a while and the gauge fell over in the wind. May of 1982 saw 13.5" and May of 2015 saw 21". Supposed to have three days of no rain, then it starts again on Friday.

A pair of over easy eggs and a plateful of bacon will do this morning Flo.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding yesterday's post with the wildflower pictures; Sherrel, Troy, Ken, Garry, Tom O, Karl, Patrick, Hughie, Gary, Guy, Tom. I have a few more random ones left. Here's a few from the Fat Ass Ranch & Winery.
View attachment 128692
View attachment 128688
View attachment 128689View attachment 128690View attachment 128691
View attachment 128693
Like many other places in Fredericksburg, they only grow the grapes here and contract the winemaking to an outside winery. Their wines that we sampled in their tasting room were a bit too sweet for our tastes.

I did get to spend some time in the train shed yesterday. I started another structure kit, Woody's Country Mart, another Landmark Structure from DPM.
View attachment 128694
Got the main walls assembled.
View attachment 128695
View attachment 128696
They went into the paint booth and should be dry today. I'm sure you're asking, "Where the hell is he going to put that?". Well that's the big project that I alluded to yesterday. I have an unfinished area about 32" x 72" with a couple of temporarily placed structures on it.
View attachment 128697
Step one will be to remove everything and install the backdrop. It will be a couple of days however, while I wait for the yard to dry out some so I can set up the sawhorses outside and cut it.

Tom O - I have only had one thunderstorm that was that severe here. Water was 6" deep on the road going uphill! Fortunately I was less than a half mile from home when I encountered that.

Everybody have a great day. Stay safe.
that is a Sweep Building, look forward to the build
also answer to May question
fruit yes far too much
apple,apple juice,apple cider vinegar,apple purée, I can fruit in balls or kilner jars,also late in season I give apples t; goats,chickens,ducks,I eat apples like there is no tomorrow if an apple a day was to keep the doctor away then I should be a powerhouse
pears similar but pear wine,I love pear and plum with honey,
plum,greengages,quince makes a marmalade and was the original marmalade before citrus fruit eaten by prostitutes as an aphrodisiac much like oysters just tastes better,and I give sone away to scrounges I mean family and friend.
hawthorne sometimes make haw leather usually mixed with blackberry
and I dehydrate loads,for soups and added flavouring
9FD130FD-AC9C-446E-B0F0-82EF0723C535.jpeg

98DAF2CF-8605-473C-A021-EA0019912A04.jpeg
49D7DBC5-0134-4824-90DB-60E5EFB305E4.jpeg
AA033ED2-3CDF-4C15-A386-702238655768.jpeg

I use American you tube for ideas, I water bath, I have an American canner but have to admit it has been in the cupboard 3 years and still brand new as I never have the hours to sit and watch it so it does not explode!
canned fruit and yogurt my go to breakfast,which is why I rarely list my breakfast,on top. Of muesli or warm oats also great, plus cream,ok on special occasions I adore cream but too fattening

Good Morning!
The wife and I had a very productive trip to Edson yesterday. She got her flowers and I got a few train photos from a different town on the CN mainline to the port in Vancouver.
It's going to be a hot one today with temperatures hitting into the mid 70's and no chance of rain. Maybe we are going to get our one day of summer where it actually feels like summer today.

I see Wliiie and Jaz avalley have already brought some good photos into the new shop; I'll just add a few more from yesterday's trip to Edson.
Here is the Edson town CN yard. I don't know why, but, I like this photo:
CN EdsonYard_05-31-2021.jpg

To me, that looks like a very aggressive change in direction coming out of that switch.
That engine sitting in the distance is a very long grain hopper train waiting for another east bound train coming from behind me. The east bound is this one, a couple of ES44's pulling a train of gondolas:
Edson_CN 2267_ES44DC_05-31-2021.jpg

As soon as the gondola train passed, the westbound grain hopper train began it's journey:
BCOL 4645_Edson_05-31-2021.jpg

That train was picking up speed fairly quick, but I did manage a couple more poor quality photos as it passed by:
BCOL 4645_Edson_05-31-2021 (2).jpg

BCOL 4645_Edson_05-31-2021 (3).jpg

That grain hopper train was a long one. It had another couple of engines located in the mid point of the train. These engines:
CN 2724_Edson_05-31-2021.jpg

CN 8832_Edson_05-31-2021.jpg

All told, I was only standing there on the road for about 1/2hr., and six or seven locomotives passed by me. So Edson has much more rail activity compared to Whitecourt. - I might just go there more often, as it's only an hour drive away.

I did meet up with another old train enthusiast and had some discussion with him. He told me to be careful I don't cross onto CN property, as the CN police were very active in the area. Apparently there were two rail suicides in Edson over the past year.
I don't know how a $600.00 trespassing ticket is going to prevent a suicide, but, I guess that's up to them. I never hear about them actually saving anybody. - Perhaps a suicidal person would want to live long enough to get the ticket paid for.

Anyway, this is getting long and I don't want to hog the space. Thanks for the coffee and toast. Better be on my way!

Have a good one!

Good morning gang!

New month, new day, new coffee shop!

Bud is slowly recovering. Yesterday was a big day for him. Lunch was an entire can of wet food plus some kibble. Spoon fed by mom. Afterward he went outside, but instead of taking the easy way down the front ramp, he went out the back deck and down the 3 steps to the lawn. Dinner he actually stood and ate from his dish like a real dog! It's gonna take some time, but I can see him catching Frisbees again.

Not much on the train front this weekend.

BBL

Good morning gang!

New month, new day, new coffee shop!

Bud is slowly recovering. Yesterday was a big day for him. Lunch was an entire can of wet food plus some kibble. Spoon fed by mom. Afterward he went outside, but instead of taking the easy way down the front ramp, he went out the back deck and down the 3 steps to the lawn. Dinner he actually stood and ate from his dish like a real dog! It's gonna take some time, but I can see him catching Frisbees again.

Not much on the train front this weekend.

BBL
So glad for you,losing a dog is very sad seeing it go before your eyes is heartbreaking,we have too many dogs buried outside,seeing a dog recover is heartwarming,all the best for your baby

Good Morning!
The wife and I had a very productive trip to Edson yesterday. She got her flowers and I got a few train photos from a different town on the CN mainline to the port in Vancouver.
It's going to be a hot one today with temperatures hitting into the mid 70's and no chance of rain. Maybe we are going to get our one day of summer where it actually feels like summer today.

I see Wliiie and Jaz avalley have already brought some good photos into the new shop; I'll just add a few more from yesterday's trip to Edson.
Here is the Edson town CN yard. I don't know why, but, I like this photo:
View attachment 128702
To me, that looks like a very aggressive change in direction coming out of that switch.
That engine sitting in the distance is a very long grain hopper train waiting for another east bound train coming from behind me. The east bound is this one, a couple of ES44's pulling a train of gondolas:
View attachment 128703

As soon as the gondola train passed, the westbound grain hopper train began it's journey:
View attachment 128704
That train was picking up speed fairly quick, but I did manage a couple more poor quality photos as it passed by:
View attachment 128705
View attachment 128706

That grain hopper train was a long one. It had another couple of engines located in the mid point of the train. These engines:
View attachment 128707
View attachment 128708

All told, I was only standing there on the road for about 1/2hr., and six or seven locomotives passed by me. So Edson has much more rail activity compared to Whitecourt. - I might just go there more often, as it's only an hour drive away.

I did meet up with another old train enthusiast and had some discussion with him. He told me to be careful I don't cross onto CN property, as the CN police were very active in the area. Apparently there were two rail suicides in Edson over the past year.
I don't know how a $600.00 trespassing ticket is going to prevent a suicide, but, I guess that's up to them. I never hear about them actually saving anybody. - Perhaps a suicidal person would want to live long enough to get the ticket paid for.

Anyway, this is getting long and I don't want to hog the space. Thanks for the coffee and toast. Better be on my way!

Have a good one!
The track has it all close up interesting curve,you could stand and wait for the tracks to change,but all a fine disappearing perspective,this would be superb to emulate on a layout,plus interest to the sides and rolling stock,great reference for weathering,what’s not to love over that first picture.

Good Morning, all. This weekend is Dairyfest here in Marshfield, kicking of dairy festivities across the state, in honor of June being Dairy Month. They have the Mayor’s Breakfast on Friday AM, Movie in the Park Friday night, Dairyfest parade on Saturday, as well as various other events throughout the city on Saturday. The wife & I are going to scout out a local farmer’s market this am. She is thinking about setting up a table to sell her craft items(Christmas ornaments). Flo, I’ll take a couple fried eggs, scrapple, home fries, TGOM & a black cuppa Joe, PATY.

ood morning. Going to have to make it quick today. Another month gone. Where's the time gone. Snow a week ago and temps are forecast to be in the upper 80's in a day or so. Love it.

Karl - Happy tosee that Bud seems to be improving. That is good news.

Willie - Interesting photos.

McLeod
- Always enjoyyour proto photos.

We wore out our little girl Molly yesterday. Having lost her friend Ginger she has been a bit of a slug. Went over to the neighbor yesterday to give him a hand with a couple of projects. He didn't havenear the proper tool for whay he wanted to do so we gave him a hand and Molly had new territory to explore. She had to take a nap after that.

thumbnail_20210531_152153.jpg

We did have a few people over and after burgers, hot dogs and chicken on the grill, my grandson was put to work cutting the grass under the trees where I can't get the riding mower. He wants to try to earn some money so we gave him the change. It was a little harder than he thought but he did a good job with some instruction. His brother was more interested in climbing trees.

thumbnail_IMG_2636.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_2634.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2633.jpg

Gotta get ready to head to lunchfor out regular Tuesday burger and beer.

Later.

Good Morning all! Wow, June already. Partly sunny here in H-Town and rain is in the forecast for the next 8 to 10 days. Hurricane season officially starts today.

Guy - What I like about that first photo is one can use their imagination to fill the tracks the way they want. One can easily imagine that trackage on their own layout.
JV - Some good looking preserves. Homemade just tastes better.
Willie - Good looking building, should be a nice addition.

I put up 4 solar powered security lights yesterday. Checked them out last night, they sure light up the yards, even at 1/2 brightness.
I am awaiting 2 Bar Mills structures, due tomorrow. With the rainy forecast they should give me something dry to do.

STAY SAFE
LATER

Good Afternoon Everyone.......very nice day here in this part of Wisconsin. Just came home from the cabin and Cathy drove home and she likes to test the local and state enforcement Officers' radar equipment. But, she's carefully and we get home safe. The storms just went north of us last night but lots of lighting and thunder. Maybe a half inch of rain.

Went to our favorite Pizza place and we were disappointed with the lack of toppings and service. Then on Friday we stopped at a real Hole-In-The-Wall bar and grill and had scallops, potato, rye bread and cottage cheese for $12.00. We got maybe a dozen and a half very nice sized scallops. The bar is a local joint and we are not locals, but everyone treated us ok. The bartender remembered us after over a year of not visiting the place.

Ticks were extremely bad and Cathy, the dog and myself had ticks to remove . Everyone is commenting on how bad the ticks are this year. The weather at first was bad, cold and windy and then became almost perfect. Brown and Black ticks.

Funny Riley has two identical sleeping beds and will not use the one at the cabin, but will use the one at home. It was hard to leave the cabin this morning, bright sun and very mild temperatures.

Just catching up on the Forum.

Allen:
I like all the details on that new brass locomotive and the yard switcher is a fine model as well. I like the SP color schemes thye uesed o their diesels.

Chet: I am happy to hear that Molly is staying in the yard and enjoys being with other people. Riley is loose at the cabin but, didn't listen to Cathy a couple of times and wandered off, even unlike her normal habits. Riley can be very stubborn at times and not listen to commands.

Bud: Very glad to hear Bud is feeling better....eating is always a great sign that a dog is feeling better.

McLeod: Speaking of Vancouver BC, that is my favorite city of all that I have visited. We stayed one night in a hotel that was near a large rail yard and we walked across the yard to a Keg Restaurant. We could see the restaurant from our hotel window. On the way back a Police Officer stopped us for walking across the rails and we explained that we were from out of town and he walked us back to our hotel. A very pleasant man and before he left us he told us we had trespassed and not to try it again and then wished us real great trip.

The Keg Restaurants are our favorite causal dinning restaurants and visited the Keg restaurants when in Vancouver and Toronto. When we were in Phoenix, AZ we found a Keg in Chandler. Great Prime Rib dinners.

I need to read the latest posts in the May Forum and add more comments.

Have to run..................

Greg

##########################

Saxeville Junction.JPG
Busy Junction on the CM&N Railroad. The tunnel portal is weathered, but with the camera andlighting it doesn't show up.-Greg

Good afternoon global modelers from the wandering couple plus 1 in Texas. Today’s adventures took us south to San Antonio with stops in old Dripping Springs, Wimberly and New Braunfelds. Terry and I have visited before but we are showing the sister around as the son was off to work. Tonight we will eat somewhere on the Riverwalk and tomorrow we mosey over to Fredericksburg as we head back to Austin.

I need to catch up on this forum but guy, those pictures are great for me. Greg, be careful with those ticks, no relapses allowed. My sister was in the back right seat looking at the speedometer. Backseat driving as the speed limit was 80mph and I was getting passed by just about all while doing 90. I had her switch back seats sides. Greg, a great driving experience for Cathy to test her driving skillls would be Texas 130 with the highest @ 85mph posted speed limits in the USA. Chet, great the kid wanted to help out. MikeinHubCity, used to enjoy breakfast at the fairgrounds for Dairyfest. I saw you noted for me the Versa papermill fire. Seems to me since that plant has closed the digestor fire is arson. Hope I am wrong. Got a tour when it was Consolidated Papers owned by the Mead family. When the older generation died off it didn’t take long for the kids to take the billions and run. GeeTee, where in Texas are you? Last night the 30% chance of rain in east Austin turned to 100%, a 3 hours of a heavy rain.

I don’t mean to miss anyone but I should have more time after dinner and the boat ride on the Riverwalk tour tonight to sit down and read.

Super happy to see the Habs win last night. Would like the Canes tonight in the NHL.

TomO

Evening all,

Well, today didn't disappoint. Way too busy with little things that shouldn't have been an issue. Turned out after support looked everything over asked if I had rebooted the guest. Everything working fine, but some equipment unable to get connected to the internet. Rebooted the server and everything popped up. Solved 99% of the issues. New issue is that we need to add the 2nd name server to other equipment. At least it's something we know about and can get corrected. Little things that weren't an issue when the city was smaller.

Job security I guess. IT is a job with lots of change. Tomorrow is a new day and I still going back.

Greetings all!

Back from the trip yesterday, and decided to take a 26 mile bike ride from Wayzata to St. Bonifacius, MN. The trail is a retired rail line called "Dakota Rail Trail." Nice lunch place in St. Boni, so refueled and rode the 13 miles back. There is also a nice drive in along the trail that has been in continuous business for over 60 years. Make great raspberry shakes! So more fuel in the tank there.

The trip north was great. Lots of fun. Cool taking my daughter on a hike to the roundabout on Mt. Oberg. She was soaking in the views in anticipation of not being able to see them ever-too-soon. Moved the tee time to Saturday and had lots of fun on the course. ALl in all, a wonderful holiday. Now back to work.

I have the hole laid out for the turntable. Now to cut it. I don't know why this is bothering me so. Big, deep breath.

More later and maybe some pics. -------Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back