Running Bear’s June 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings, Shop Dwellers - it's 67*F and clear with a 5mph SSE breeze in my corner of MD. As always, I do appreciate all the "likes" and comments on my Sunday post.

Guy - that yard photo is a winner! Looks like something that would be quite easy to model.

Karl - glad to see that Bud is getting better!

Lots of other interesting photos on here too, but I don't have time to comment on all of them...

Didn't really get much mrr stuff done yesterday; I slept late (unusual for me), then spent the day helping MOH with some late-spring cleaning activities. I didn't post here last night because I went to the house of one of my local mrr friends that I hadn't seen in person since the pandemic started. He showed me all these new buildings he had scratchbuilt over the past 18 months, though some I'd already seen when he emailed me photos of them.

Then I tried to help him troubleshoot a Walthers Proto2000 F7A that was making the same clunking sound that earlier LifeLike P2K geeps make when they have a cracked axel gear. Thought it would be a quick fix, but the trucks are totally different from the ones on LifeLike models and I could not see any easy way to pop-off the bottom covers. He didn't have an exploded-parts diagram to refer to, and when we tried googling for a solution, the only hits we got were all for the LifeLike GP7/9 and GP30. Since I didn't want to risk damaging anything, all I could do was suggest he try contacting Walthers tech support.

Since today was an early-off workday for me, I was able to get some more fascia curtains hung this afternoon. The diagram below shows [in red] everything I completed since my last update on Sunday:

CLW_Fascia_Schematic_10.jpg

(The gap between the 2 red lines is the console area which will always be kept open.)

Good Night - and have a Pleasant Tomorrow!

Good morning. It's mostly clear and 60.
We're having issues with the company that's supposed to be providing service and repairs for my wife's oxygen machine. It failed on Friday, and they are refusing to come repair it because my wife owes a $100 copay for the monthly service charge. Sounds like time to call one of our local TV stations, and see if they'll air a hit piece about how the medical supply company puts profits ahead of their customers' lives...

Good morning fellers. I hope everyone is doing well. Work hours limited my train time last night. Its time for another cleaning on the layout. My P2K GP7 is not running well at all. Odd for it to not run at least somewhat decent. Wheels are a bit grimy. So instead I ran my Atlas GP7 in its place. Thats all I have for now. Hope everyone has a good day.
20210602_065833.jpg

Morning all,

Cloudy and 61° this morning, high in the upper 70's expected. Supposed to see more sun than clouds, but I'm beginning to think the sun is a myth... 😄

I have car on a jack in my driveway this morning as it seems I have the only jack in the county. SIL's car. He got a great deal on it, but in his defense, KIA decided it was going to sell cars without spares. Son's Jeep the same way. I partially get that it saves weight and thus gas, but obviously this type of decision is made by folks live where there is a tire store on every other intersection, open 24 hours and not 20 miles from the nearest tire store that closes at 8:00. So I'm off in a bit to get the tire replaced as the leak is in the sidewall.

Computers working fine this morning so far...
My supervisor officially announced his retirement plans to the masses, so there's that to hear about.

Well, howdy there MRR People.

Spent about 4 hours painting in the base colours yesterday (the extra U in colours for all the British spelling shop dwellers) to the latest batch of ACW Union infantry. Some minor details and tidying up to do, then it's to the filters/washes. These are currently in the stage I refer to as "Model RR Chic" since the people on most layouts are not near as detailed nor painted as the locos and rolling stock. Those of you who go the extra scale mile (Like Miss Jaz) I do notice!

Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at 7.21.24 AM.png

After the washes, I'll add the metal bits (musket barrels, belt buckles) and then a drybrush for highlights.

Here's a near finished version of the previous batch. I didn't get these much past Model RR Chic. I made a couple of mistakes (other than missing some spots to touch up that I now see in the big pic). The biggest was that Skin tones and hair painted AFTER the dark wash was applied.Should have done those earlier, then highlight after. And mud. Battlefields get muddy. These guys look like they're guarding Gen McClellan on the NJ Golf Course.

Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at 7.30.22 AM.png

Next up on the painting table is going to be some 1:1800 WWII Naval ships. Those won't take long. After that, I'm heading back to 1812 to 1815. Not sure If I'll tackle the Grand Armee of Napoleon first, or head over the the mud of Mother Russia. Both are begging for some attention.

Interesting, Very Interesting ... TROY - Your eyes must need adjusting after all that! What scale are the soldiers?

cars without spares.
PATRICK .. Your goings on sound a bit like mine - you never seem to get caught up!
No spare with the RV! I was told that best to call someone if a tyre (for our British friends) went out.

TERRY -
Sounds like time to call one of our local TV stations
What are you waiting for? Thar's pure BS!

OK, I managed to lug the bed frame, headboards, and end tables upstairs yesterday and dis-abled the metal frame that has been under the king-size mattress forever. (we have never had a proper "bedroom set", but just a complication of various leftovers from parents, siblings and other relatives who have gone before) I take part of that statement back -- when we first married the Spousal Unit had a very nice queen-size set which, when we moved into this house, went into one of the spare bedrooms and a very nice queen size set that I had at the time went into her Mom's house to replace hers that we used Getting that headboard up the stairs was not something that I would want to do every day - one step at a time. I had stood the mattress and box springs on edge, a chore in its self, got everything in place and waited for the Spousal Unit to return from the MIL;s place to help me place the components all together. I had asked the SIL to help me, but he was too busy with his golfing buddy -(have to remember that one for use at a later time?. As per usual -- What should have been an hour job took 3 and left me pretty basically useless for most of the afternoon. Being that I am on a double dose of blood thinners, I have been told to lay-off the Advil and I sure could have used one-or two; Still have some hurt and stiffness this morning or else I wouldn't be up this early.

All righty, supposed to reach 85F/29.44C today with "mostly sunny". With our normal low humidity that is a rightly fine temp!

JUSTIN - Nice pic this morning!

FLO! Help -- more coffee please!

Good morning gang!

To all of you men of a certain age I have a question. Does it always seem to take 2 or 3 days after stressing one's muscles before you really feel the pain of overexertion? I drugged the old washer up the basement steps on Monday and put it on the trailer to go to the dump Yesterday I was ok but today my back is killing me!

Good morning gang!

To all of you men of a certain age I have a question. Does it always seem to take 2 or 3 days after stressing one's muscles before you really feel the pain of overexertion? I drugged the old washer up the basement steps on Monday and put it on the trailer to go to the dump Yesterday I was ok but today my back is killing me!

Gawdsakesalive! I'm 61 and fixing to start tearing up the kitchen. Asked a young stud next door for help moving the fridge out to the garage. That's set for Thursday evening and I am not looking forward to it. Sunday afternoon, I tear out the countertops as the new counter tops arescheduled for a Tuesday morning install. So soon and very soon I'll be joining you in back issue complaints!! Here's praying for a speedy recovery!!

Asked a young stud next door for help moving the fridge out to the garage. That's set for Thursday evening and I am not looking forward to it.

Hint. Take the doors off the fridge BEFORE your move it through the doorway (go to youtube with your make and model # to learn how to disconnect water lines if you have in door dispenser)

Five minutes of work saves 20 minutes of cussing later on.

Sherril,
That is his calendar picture. Our local vet hospital does a calendar every year and Bud's full picture was selected to for the calendar. We call him Mr. July! Such a handsome boy.
Oh and the "official" name for his condition is Canine Immune Mediated Poly Arthritis. They are treating him with steroids (prednisone) and Nsaids. He's getting a little better every day, little baby steps.

Thank you, and all the forum members for the positive vibes and 🙏 for Bud. It's been a hard 5-6 weeks since he injured his wrist and started on this roller coaster, but I feel in the end I will have my best buddy back, good as new!

Good Morning!
I'm late coming in because I had to get outside upon rising and sprinkle some water on what needs watering before the sun gets too hot. The wife's flowers are the most important item in her life right now. She's trying for 1st in the towns gardening competition. - She's out on an ant killing mission as we speak. I wouldn't want to be an ant in the face of her dedication to the cause.
It's 60° right now and headed up into the 80's; that's awfully warm for these parts. We might just get some thunder and lightning come the evening.

Troy - I like the paint work you are putting on the union army; the regiments look very good. I'm fairly certain that if I had to do that much repetitive painting of tiny figures, I would be locked in a padded cell after screaming down the middle of the street naked.

Justin - The Atlas GP-7 is a sweet looking locomotive. It looks as new as my GP-9's. I'd like to learn how to weather an engine properly. When the time comes, I mean to take engine weathering on.

Ken - Please offer up an area photo of your layout when you've got all the skirting on. I'd like to see the finished product.

Willie - I'll enjoy seeing how you handle to 'wood' look on the structure you are building. It looks like a nice kit, and I know we will get some good photos out of you.

Chet - Those young grandson's of yours look like a very spry couple of lads. Somehow, I could see myself in those photos, but, from about 50 years ago.

Karl - I'm also hoping you're four legged friend pulls through. Mr. July looks like a very nice dog.

As far as I could see, that grain hopper train that found me the other day was only pulling covered hoppers. I was surprised to note that most of the hoppers looked brand new and that they carried the CN logo instead of some leasing companies logo. Here's a couple of photos of the newer hoppers, different from each other:
EdsonGrainHopper_05-31-2021 (2).jpg

EdsonGrainHopper_05-31-2021 (3).jpg

And, there was also older hoppers in the train, like this one:
EdsonGrainHopper_05-31-2021 (1).jpg

I took a-lot of photos of the hoppers as they passed by; and they were passing by quickly. Three photos shown should be enough to make it less boring.

Then, yesterday, we travelled to another small town east of Whitecourt. While there, I took some photos of the old grain elevator that is still standing; closed for business, but, still there for now. I know they are disappearing.
I've passed that town a thousand times heading to the city. This is the first time I've stopped deliberately to get photos of the grain elevator:
Mayerthorpe_06-01-2021 (1a).jpg

Mayerthorpe_06-01-2021 (1d).jpg

Well, there I go again; taking up space in the shop. I'd better head it out and do something.
Have a good one!

Good Morning All. Clear and 60°, good to see the sun for a change. Temperature is 10°-12° below our normal morning low, it has been for almost a month now. Highs haven't been anywhere near 80° which they should well exceed at this time of year. I hate readiing that Guy's temperatures are higher than ours! I still have standing water in a few places, so mowing today is out of the question. I'll work on opening the pool instead. I did check the water temperature yesterday and it is close at 77°.

Hello Flo, a handful of thick-cut bacon and a couple of poached eggs for me today.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding the latest project and the wrap-up pictures of the wineries that we toured; Jaz, Guy, Patrick, Tom O, Karl, Garry, Chad, Chet, Hughie, Rick, Justin, Gary, Tom, Ken, Sherrel, James. One last wine related shot that I took somewhere.
IMG_6432.JPG

We did other things on the road trip besides visit wineries. On Tuesday we visited the San Antonio Aquarium. I still need to sort through those pictures for you. Stay tuned.

Out in the train shed, the paint was dry on the latest structure yesterday.
IMG_6522.JPG

I got started on the trim and windows, as well as the foundation.
IMG_6532.JPG

IMG_6533.JPG

Ooooh! These pictures really make it look like a sloppy job, and I wasn't even imbibing in any adult beverages! The roof and eaves will obscure some of it, but I'll have to take another look at whether I really need to touch up, or whether it's just the camera exaggerating things.
Meanwhile, here's the target project area after I moved the train parked on the siding, all of the structures and the two spur tracks that were there.
IMG_6530.JPG

Over in the RH corner are still some freight cars parked on temporary trackage. I will eventually add a partial background structure there. I already have a switch in place off the passing siding for future access. I may be able to cut the backdrop board and install it today.
IMG_6528.JPG

As you can see, part of the passing siding is not yet ballasted because I ran out of ballast at that time and just never got back to it. At that time also, I was primarily concentrating on benchwork and track laying, knowing full well that I would eventually finalize the area.

Jaz - You seem to keep the pantry full. Looking good.
Guy - Nice looking set of action photos yesterday. Like others have posted, that first one is a gem.
Karl - It's so good to read the ongoing good news about Bud. Aches and pain. I am fortunate not to have any back issues and aches and pain are not a real problem in my life. But lack of stamina is beginning to catch up with me. At 69, I am having to limit working sessions to about 45 minutes at a time, unless modeling of course. Good luck with your back. Maybe Bud will share some of his medications.
Chet - Nice pair of grandsons.
Tom O - You probably already know this, but nobody in Texas observes speed limits despite many of the limits being pretty high. It's almost as if the posted limits are considered the minimum. I tend to have a lead foot everywhere except school zones. Even many two lane blacktops in the country have 75 mph limits.
Steve - Glad to read that you and the family enjoyed the road trip. Good also that the TT install is going smoothly.
Terry -
I've mentioned before, we used to live in a place named Riverton, Missouri. We lived on route Y, and the population was 12. It's now considered an extinct town.
Sure has a nice big church there, but I didn't see any signs of civilization nearby!
Patrick - Funny that you mentioned tires. I replaced the disc brake pads on our Accura RDX last month, and those tires were really heavy. There's no way that my wife could change one if she got a flat on the road. And since we downsized to just one vehicle, she wouldn't be able to call me!
By the way, have you been able to use the pool yet?

Today is National Rotisserie Chicken Day. Does anyone still have a rotisserie in their oven any more? Sam's and Costco are my go to places for one these days.
Everyone have a great day, stay safe.

Willie: No on the pool as highs in the mid-upper 60's and lows in the upper 40's are keeping it way too cool, although the grandkids are game. Like you we're 15-20° below normal for this time of year. I'd holler for Guy to give us the 80's back, but then I'll be complaining in August about how hot it is. Enough rain that the sprinklers have not run for the past 3 weeks. Supposed to get some more rain this evening and then clear until Sunday and early next week. Which reminds me that I have been neglecting the pool maintenance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back