Running Bear’s June 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning!
A bit more seasonal with the temps going to hit 70 today; I like that better than too hot. It can stay 60-70 for the rest of the summer. I'd like that just fine.

Karl - The Athabaska River is quite popular for fishing or drowning worms. The only type of fish I've ever caught out of it, is Burbot (ling-cod), but, I don't fish it much.
I see that river as being deep and dangerous; many folks have drowned in there. Not many swim in it; most swimmers prefer the more friendly McLeod River. However, the Athabaska is very popular with river jetboats and canoers.

Garry - Even in a blurry background photo, you're layout looks amazing. Well done, indeed!

Last winter, I purchased a set of plans from ScaleModelPlans of an old-time garage located in the village of Greencourt, which is located just 1/2hr east of Whitecourt. I went to Greencourt earlier this week, just to take photographs of the prototype building used to draw up those plans. The building seems like it would be a decent scratch-build project; fairly simple to do.
I'm offering up the photos of the Greencourt Garage for anyone who might be interested. I do note that the white-washed exterior is a very recent upgrade to the building front. It used to be an aging, grayish wood clapboard look.
Here is the series of photo's I took:
Greencourt_06-01-2021 (1a).jpg

Greencourt_06-01-2021 (1b).jpg

Greencourt_06-01-2021 (1c).jpg

Greencourt_06-01-2021 (1d).jpg

Greencourt_06-01-2021 (1e).jpg

Greencourt_06-01-2021 (1f).jpg

I believe that building wood be an interesting, fun scratch-build, and would fit in well on many a railway layout. Just thought you might be interested. I certainly intend to build one someday!

Willie - Seven hours dosen't mean sitting on a rock for seven hours. It means being in the immediate area. Believe me though, I was exploring the beach and the forest. - I would of heard the train coming if it came, because it has to sound off when it crosses the county service road a 1/4 mile away.
Besides, I have extreme patience when it comes to being in the forest. I just get swallowed up by all that green. I enjoy the place very much.
Wonderful aquarium photos!

Well, that's all I have today. Except for the usual thank you for the likes on my posts.
Have a good one!

Good Morning all! It's rain like the proverbial cow on the proverbial flat rock. Sadly rain is forecasted for the next 5 to 6 days.
Flo, think I'll have some pancakes and sausage.
The Bar Mills Buildings I ordered are taking a tour of the United States. Not sure when they will decide to show up here.

Guy - That garage definitely made a great addition to a layout
Willie - something fishy where
Garry - Nice photo

Guess I'll see what trouble I get get into in the train room

STAY SAFE
LATER

Greetings all!

Ah, a solid night's sleep - where's them dragons, I'll take 'em all on!

So rare these days, to sleep solid and sound. No time to post this morning. Get 'erladyship' out the door to work and me 'urry out to the links. Bloody hot here in Minnesnowta with highs in the mid 90s. Was surprised to see that we were a fivesome, and everyone wanted to ride in golf carts. I much prefer to walk, but gave in to peer pressure. I had deliberately not worn the golf kilt as it was so blasted hot, but if I'da known we were riding, well, then I would have worn said garment. Golf went well! No penalty strokes and shot 92. I'll take that! Made par on 18 - - - - that'll keep ya coming back.

DL39 - - - I had planned to go to the flea market. Was on my calendar for months. But my daughter chose that morning to move to a new apartment. What's a dad to do? Yes, please, keep me informed. I am on their FB group thingy, but would be glad of invites. I'd love to see their layout. I taught this past semester at Concordia St. Paul which is literally around the corner from Scale Model. I did find them and found some gems. I got a Proto1000 gondola with GN livery that I dearly adore for $10. Great roller and spot on for Weight Standards. I also found some Walthers/Shinohara #6-1/2 curved TOs which will go nicely into my confined space. Great place.

Kitchen project starts in earnest tomorrow - - - egads.

Still awaiting to put power to the turntable and give her a test run. Maybe tomorrow, but we've lots to do.

Cheers all, the couch beckons for some quite contemplative time. Pay no attention to the noise, probably won't be thunder. -----Steve

Good Afternoon Everyone.....over 90 degrees today and more coming. New car is in for some additional accessories and it was promised yesterday and now it will not be done until Monday afternoon. The dealer will delivery the car to our house on Monday. Grass is browning already without water and we're in a drought in this part of Wisconsin. The cabin is fine, but hot as well. Maybe a fast trip to the cabin to water the pots and a few other items.

No penalty strokes and shot 92. I'll take that! Made par on 18 - - - - that'll keep ya coming back.

The first and only time I played 18 holes of golf, my partner had a heart attack on the 3rd hole and after that it was hit the ball, drag Fred the rest of the 18 holes of golf.

Fred made it, but never play golf again!

Still no model railroading. Feeling better but still can't stand for any length of time. About under a minutes or so and then I sit for awhile.

No news to report today.

That's all folks.....

Greg

IMG_0373.JPG

Last edited:
Good morning....Coffee Flo I need to get moving.
Jaz- As you get older you work smarter not harder. Water buckets get replaced by hoses to carry water.

The heat is on it's way mid to upper 80's for the next 7 days.
I do have hoses to the birds and those leaky hoses to the plants but the distance to the goats is further and crosses the road but y es I should buy more hose

Good evening ....

Sherrell, Guy, and Hughie..... Thanks for commenting about my picture.

Everybody who liked it: .... Thanks much.

Guy .... Yes, I did blur the image. Apparently, I moved the cell phone as I took the photo. I like your pictures of the old garage.

This weekend is the annual 400 mile yard sale along US 68 in Kentucky.

Everybody ...... Have a good night.

Evenin' Shop Dwellers! 66*F and calm under clear skies around here. Thanks for the likes on my drive-by post yesterday.

Only have time for a quick update. I've been spending whatever free time I can grab to make further progress on the curtains. Tonight I just hung some "strip"-style drapes - similar to the plastic temperature barriers on walk-in refrigerators. I decided to use those in this spot because I have to duck into- and out of there regularly to control and maintain the heat pump:

FasciaStripStyleCurtains.jpg

That is also the opening where I roll my portable workbench under the layout to hide it during op sessions.

Wish I had more time, but I'm already running an hour behind schedule and need to get my rest. This may not be a very productive weekend for me as far as mrr is concerned; lawns to mow, friends to visit, and a slew of other things I've been putting off for way too long.

Good Night - and have a Pleasant Tomorrow!

Good Morning!
Weather reports suggest a 25% chance of rain today, and it's 47°F in the morning cool. Looks like it's going to be a beautiful day. Absolutely nothing to whine and cry about on a beautiful Saturday morning like this. - Life is just great!! I truly hope you are all enjoying you're opportunity to breathe in this fine Saturday morning as much as I am loving it!

Karl - I like that layout photo you posted with the B&O engine. That is indeed an inspirational layout. Well done!

Although, I'm enjoying the morning coffee, I'm not going to hang around in the shop too long. I want to get outside and enjoy the day.
So, I'm going to drop a couple of photos down and get on with it.

This is a steel girder constructed trestle that is located just west of Mayerthorpe. I thought it was cool to find a trestle made of steel in an area where most trestle's are made with heavily oiled timbers. - Sad that there wasn't a train coming when I was there:
MayerthorpeTrestle_06-01-2021 (1a).jpg

And, a bit closer:
MayerthorpeTrestle_06-01-2021 (1b).jpg

I'm also going to repost a photo of an MoW service Ford Hi-Rail; a brand new one. I like this photo because it has so much railway element in it, with the SD-40 and ES44 in the background. For me, this photo is a keeper for historical content:
MoW_10-30-2020 (3).jpg

If you folks presently in the 80-85° temperature range look at that photo long enough, it might help to cool you off.

I notice that the shop is a bit short on patrons lately. I guess many are enjoying the summer in an open for business environment, as compared to last years lock-down.

Gotta go, so have a good one!

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 69° with light mist off and on since 5:30. I was up earlier and checked in the Coffee Shop but didn't see any action, so I went back to bed for a while. It felt great as I don't do that very often. Successful grocery trek yesterday, and I stopped and had the pool water tested. It isn't as bad as it has been before, I will need to add about a half gallon of acid and a gallon of liquid chlorine once the damn cover is off. Stabilizer is good for start-up.
I have already been out and about this morning headed to the gas station seven miles away to fill up the can for the mower. I had a minor disaster yesterday while mowing the only area that had dried enough to mow, when I ran over a brand new 100' 12 gauge extension cord.:mad: I had forgotten that I had left it out and the tall grass obscured the view. I just paid $69 for it about three weeks ago. I'll have to add a plug and outlet to the two ends and discard about 2', thus making it a 98' extension cord. Grrrh! Much of the front yard has additional standing water in it now, as a result of pumping the water off the pool cover so I can't get to it yet. I have been able to get just under an acre mowed in the last two days, leaving just over two remaining. Never-ending!
All of this remodeling with homes and kid's homes is contagious. I am headed out this morning to help my daughter at the new house that she and her husband just bought, just a few blocks from the old one. I think that I am tasked with hanging some new ceiling fans and some minor electrical work. My wife, one of my brothers and one of my nieces are to be there to paint. My brother will be discussing some other remodeling ideas with her while there...he does it all of the time since he owns 30 upscale rent houses.

After this morning's trip, I am ready for some sausage and biscuits this morning Flo. Maybe a small side of bacon to go with that.

Thanks for all of the likes and comment regarding the additional aquarium pictures yesterday; Sherrel, Guy, Chad, Karl, Patrick, Garry, Hughie, Gary, Justin, Rick, Tom O, Ken, Tom.

Skipped the daily visit to the train shed again yesterday, as I was bummed out about the extension cord. Not much activity yesterday in the Coffee Shop, so not much to comment on. I have a few more aquarium pictures, but I need to get out and get moving, so no photos today.

Everybody have a great day. See y'all tomorrow.

OK, managed to slip back under the comforter for an additional two hours of sleep. I slipped out of the room without the pups noticing me leaving - YAY!
Have a ton of stuff to do today and I already know that I will not put much of a dent in it. The Waste Management folks in the large truck are coming Monday morning to pick up six items that we are moving out of the garage - so I will finally be able to try and get the water softner working again. The Spousal Unit has cleaned out her side of the closet upstairs, and with that, enough clothes to open her own store which I need to get over to the Salvation Army drop-off. I must say that she is really looking good after her massive weight loss! Of course, with that loss now she has spent another fortune re-filling the closet with "new" garments. That is OK with me as she is feeling so much better about herself.
Well, I know you all probably become tired of hearing about my life, so I'll close this up.

Partick, I don't know how you manage to get so much done and work the hours that you do in the meantime?
GUY, I like the trestle, but it looked to me that it would be shakey with those large locomotives until I thought about the steel construction. I was thinking about the wooden piles which would be closer together? BTW - 85F here with 20-25% humidity is purr-fect! Except for the moisture, we don't need any of that White C*#p around here. :D
WILLIE, I am thankful that I was not in earshot of you when you "found" that extension cord! What a bummer - not it is not totally waterproof!

Morning FLO, How about some of Mel's great biscuits and gravy, double side of bacon, with a couple sunny side up eggs on top? Like a DP with it, please?

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 69° with light mist off and on since 5:30. I was up earlier and checked in the Coffee Shop but didn't see any action, so I went back to bed for a while. It felt great as I don't do that very often. Successful grocery trek yesterday, and I stopped and had the pool water tested. It isn't as bad as it has been before, I will need to add about a half gallon of acid and a gallon of liquid chlorine once the damn cover is off. Stabilizer is good for start-up.
I have already been out and about this morning headed to the gas station seven miles away to fill up the can for the mower. I had a minor disaster yesterday while mowing the only area that had dried enough to mow, when I ran over a brand new 100' 12 gauge extension cord.:mad: I had forgotten that I had left it out and the tall grass obscured the view. I just paid $69 for it about three weeks ago. I'll have to add a plug and outlet to the two ends and discard about 2', thus making it a 98' extension cord. Grrrh! Much of the front yard has additional standing water in it now, as a result of pumping the water off the pool cover so I can't get to it yet. I have been able to get just under an acre mowed in the last two days, leaving just over two remaining. Never-ending!
All of this remodeling with homes and kid's homes is contagious. I am headed out this morning to help my daughter at the new house that she and her husband just bought, just a few blocks from the old one. I think that I am tasked with hanging some new ceiling fans and some minor electrical work. My wife, one of my brothers and one of my nieces are to be there to paint. My brother will be discussing some other remodeling ideas with her while there...he does it all of the time since he owns 30 upscale rent houses.

After this morning's trip, I am ready for some sausage and biscuits this morning Flo. Maybe a small side of bacon to go with that.

Thanks for all of the likes and comment regarding the additional aquarium pictures yesterday; Sherrel, Guy, Chad, Karl, Patrick, Garry, Hughie, Gary, Justin, Rick, Tom O, Ken, Tom.

Skipped the daily visit to the train shed again yesterday, as I was bummed out about the extension cord. Not much activity yesterday in the Coffee Shop, so not much to comment on. I have a few more aquarium pictures, but I need to get out and get moving, so no photos today.

Everybody have a great day. See y'all tomorrow.
Crying-Old-Person.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back