Running Bear’s July 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning from the south deck in Wisconsin. 77f degrees now heading to the high 80’s with very little breeze and high dew points and humidity. It is not going to be a nice day to be outside.

The minor league baseball game we went to was dreadfully slow and it was hot with no breeze or shade. I thought Terry was having a heat stroke and so did she. We ended up leaving after 90 minutes at the top of the 3rd inning. Both teams had pitcher injuries in the 1st inning and bases loaded twice with no outs. My sister got home at 10:30 leaving at 10 and it was heading into the 7th. Not a real enjoyable night. We did get to meet the niece’s boyfriends dad and stepmom. She was wonderful, he was a snob with his nose in the air till he found out we owned some apartments. Working at a collection agency for 21 years was beneath him.

The girls were planning an apartment hunting trip today for the sister, now cancelled. My brother and his g/f left for Hawaii yesterday. My brother told the sister he and I would build her a small house on my property if she wanted to be in Wisconsin. We are trying to dissuade her from California. Even her daughter keeps telling her that her being in California is not permanent as she does have 2 job offers back at NYU. Surprised the boyfriend with that one. The sister has been a no and since her house sold last July. A few months in California in air b & b’s, 4 months in Arizona, a couple months here and Hawaii. None of us care as she can keep doing it, she is just not sure.

Looks like I maybe driven inside sooner then normal because of the humidity today. Maybe I can get something constructive done on the layout.

Enjoy your day
TomO

Good Morning All. Partly hazy but mostly clear and 72° here in North Central Texas. Probably the last time we'll see that temperature until September as summer appears to finally be almost here. Once again yesterday it was only 90°, but expecting 94° today and 98° tomorrow.
We spent a little extra time on the grocery/beer trek than normal yesterday, culminating with a stop at a Mexican place for lunch. I enjoyed beef fajitas and queso dip with a Corona, while my wife just had guacamole and chips. Many extra stops both before and after resulted in not getting home until nearly 2:00. A nap, the pool and finally a trip to the train shed after that. Since I was grilling rib steak later, I took the day off from outdoor chores.

Once again regarding the Covid vaccine: A medical acquaintance of ours who works in a hospital ER tells of the many patients that she's seen recently who are hospitalized for Covid and are desperately asking for the vaccine. It's her job to tell them that it's too late now, and as part of the incoming medical interview, she has to ask why they haven't been vaccinated yet? She has heard every imaginable excuse, none really good, and lots of regretful comments. While I feel badly for these people, they did put themselves in that position willingly and most likely needlessly exposed others. Darwin at work! She won't talk about death though.

Thanks once again to those who liked or commented on the layout tour/cleanup; Sherrel, Karl, Christian, Gary, Guy, Troy, Tom O, Chad, Hughie, Jaz, Garry, Rick, Tom, Patrick.

Skipping breakfast this morning Flo since I have leftover steak and also queso in the fridge.

Out in the train shed, I just continued cleaning structures on the upper deck and only put in a small amount of landscaping in the town of Graham.
IMG_6941.JPG

IMG_6942.JPG

IMG_6943.JPG

The next structure for cleaning is the flour mill. It is currently unnamed since I spilled something on the included decal sheet, which ruined it, and I haven't returned to that task. I'll either make something or download something with the computer.
IMG_6922.JPG

IMG_6936.JPG

IMG_6938.JPG

One reason that I haven't returned to this is clearance. When I originally laid out this area, I hadn't yet installed the backdrop and just eyeballed it. Well the loading dock overhang on the backside stuck out too far and I had to move the actual mill to the left of the grain bins, elevator and unloading shed.
IMG_6939.1.png

This has caused the separation to be greater than planned.
IMG_6940.JPG

I have three choices, remove the canopy completely, cut off the corner enough to move it back where it is closer, or extend the feed pipe to reach. Still mulling which option to use. And it is down the project list a bit so I won't get to it too soon. Extending the feed pipe is the easiest, but I don't really like the extended spacing which is not prototypical.

Patrick - Other than the mask and constant hand sanitizing, we tried to maintain a relatively normal life after the first two months of panic. However we live rather nomadic lives anyway where we live. Socializing has never been a high priority except family, and we don't encounter pedestrians anywhere close to us. There was no major lockdown here in Texas, but what few restaurants we felt safe in going to were not at all crowded. The saving grace for the locally owned eateries was that they all already owned their buildings and had no mortgage or rent to pay.
Christian - Thank you once again. I am fortunate to have the land (15 acres) and the funds to build a dedicated train shed in the yard. I only limited myself in size to something that I feel that I could successfully manage in later years.
Hughie -
A grilled cheese with jalapenos and a malted please.
Now that's my kind of lunch. A true Texan you are.
Greg - Continued good luck with your rehab.
Jaz - That's really good news on your recovery as well.

Summer Olympics - The only event that I really enjoy is Women's Beach Volleyball. I generally don't care who wins.
Today is Gorgeous Grandma Day. I think that many of us have one at home!
Everybody have a great day.

Well,

Just about quitting time for the weekend. I've gotta go to Lowe's to get a couple more landscape timbers for the boy so we can finish planting while its still cool in the morning. Unfortunately the Lowe's where I work doesn't have them, so I have to run through Wichita to get the 2 additional ones I need.
Everyone stay safe over the weekend.

I assume this was for the bee?

As a kid there was a huge bumble bee flying around out in the woods in our backyard where I was out shooting my Daisy BB gun. I started taking pot shots at it. I kept thinking I was missing, but eventually he was dead and I went and looked and the big fluffy body part was full of holes... (Not something I am proud of, but typical for early teenage boys)
Lol no, for the abandoned car with bullet holes and smashed glass, obviously even the smallest will be way too big for a model, I will likely need to spike it…gulps…and screw driver the glass….oh my god…..destruction of my poor little model vehicle….so hard to choose the poor sucker who gets it, I may rust them but I treat them with love……grins.

Morning all,

High of 94° in Doo-Dah today with the humidity rising. Mrs. on a vacation day today, so we'll see what kind of fuss she makes at me when I go home and try to mow later this morning. She thinks the rider is the way to go, but the 48" cut rider I have doesn't cut evenly and butchered the heck out of the front yard and even scalps a few spot, right before it gets hot. Fescue doesn't like heat, even with regular watering.

I've seen Vera a time or 2. She's very helpful.
Perhaps the cutter has sagged, with the amount of diy you do I would recommend popping it to the highest cut and take a gander,we kick the living hell out of our poor ride on, over tree stumps and young self seeds, we keep meaning to buy a flail,but the world is full of good intentions

I see a dome car in the Columbian consist.
That lively is IMHO one of the best in the industry
Garry and Sherrel: The Columbian was as delivered, the "Stratadome" seated 42 passengers, plus 24 in the Dome. The Columbian was a Corridor train between Jersey City and DC, and an overnight train between DC and Chicago. The section between Jersey City and DC consisted of two Sleepers for the (All Pullman) Capitol Ltd, and a coach for the Columbian, the balance were HW coaches and parlors. The DC- Chicago portion was pretty much as in the Photo. I thoroughly agree about the color scheme. It was all over PRR Red.
Eastbound B&O 12 at Martinsburg.jpg

B&O #12 at Martisburg, in C&O inspired Chessie System scheme. no where near as nice as the B&O scheme.

Good evening Shop Dwellers! 71*F, clear and calm in my neighborhood. Perfect for an evening stroll, if I had the energy for it...

Curt - Great to see you posting in here again!

Part of the reason I have been AWOL since Tuesday is because I've been working feverishly to get my auto plant building facade finished. Wife has been visiting with her sister in Alabama since Monday, and I had temporarily converted the dining room table to a work bench - and I wanted to take advantage of that convenience as much as I could until she flies into BWI Saturday night. BTW - the dining room table has been returned to "normal" again...😇

Since I had plenty of accumulated vacation time to "burn" during SWMBO's absence, I had expected to have my Ford plant facade finished and mounted by now. But after I attempted to highlight the brick mortar lines on Monday evening, I discovered that the thinned-out light grey paint wash I had put on didn't turn out the way I expected - the paint in the mortar lines just darkened, and the surrounding bricks got slightly pale. IOW, the panels just looked like they were a lighter shade of un-cemented bricks. I tried a number of different approaches to fix the problem, but everything I did only made things worse. By 11:30pm Tuesday night, I came to the painful conclusion that all the wall panels I had screwed-up (~half of them) would have to be repainted from scratch. So early on Wednesday morning I was on the patio with my rattle-can of Rusty Metal Red primer painting the fouled-up pieces a second time.

In the meantime I learned that my fatal mistake was trying to use Tamiya paint for the mortar lines. Since that stuff is alcohol-based (not water based like the PollyScale paint I had used before), it was reacting with the underlying red paint and partially blending with it. A quick trip to Walmart for a 54-cent bottle of white acrylic craft paint got me exactly what I needed for the desired result. So...I took off from work half of Thursday and all of today, to do the brick mortar treatment and repaint the concrete "curtains" (that seems to be the architectural name for the grid lines?), and that was was a 12-hour effort - I finished the last panel at exactly 4:50pm EDT. So here it is Friday evening, and I'm at the point where I had expected to be on Tuesday!:rolleyes:

Not only that, but now I'm feeling totally exhausted - I must have had a lot of adrenaline in my bloodstream the past 3 days trying to meet my self-imposed deadline to finish this task. This is exactly how I used to feel ~ an hour after eating a sugar-heavy snack on an empty stomach during my youthful days of ignorance.

Too tired to post any more now, gotta turn in early if I want to be rested enough to do my Saturday chores...

Good Night - and have a Pleasant Tomorrow!

Last edited:
Good morning gang! Happy Saturday to one and all.
Got to tackle the lawn today and put a new wiper control module in the little S10. The kid took it to work the other night. When he went to leave he had no wipers(it was pouring) so I had to go get him. Next day they worked fine.😡
Oh well, the truck is 19 years young, its about time I guess.
20170529_082841.jpg

BBL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back