Running Bear’s July 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning all,

67° and clear this morning. Supposed to get to 92° later.

Got the final host machine ready yesterday, and had a revelation that solved my issue of not enough space in the server rack. I have one virtual running on that machine, whose only job is to facilitate running the replicas from the primary sites to the disaster recovery site. If I shut it down and moved it to one of the primary sites, then I could shutdown and de-rack the old host and put the new one in it's place. I then can move the server to the new host from the primary it was moved to. Duh1...easy peasy.

Willie: I agree with you on the not enough people getting vaccinated. And still folks out there that think the virus is a hoax.

Jaz: I don't know about the movie thing as we have very differing tastes in films as we age...She did ask this morning if I thought we'd be safe if we made the run. Honestly, I am having second thoughts as well. While I tend to shake off stuff rather quickly and we both are vaccinated, we haven't really been anywhere publicly since the lockdowns began nearly 16 months ago. I do the shopping early on Sunday mornings (before the church crowd hits) and get take-out when we do eat out. Haven't been back to church (exception the granddaughter's first communion) since then either.

Good Morning All. Clear and 68°, according to the forecast this is our last cool day for the foreseeable future. Again yesterday, the temperature stayed below 90° and these morning temperatures in the 60's have been really nice. Only one day this month has the temperature reached 94°, and that was July 1. And at 4.5" of rain, that's over twice the average. That all changes Sunday with triple digits for 2 or 3 days, then upper 90's at least until the end of the month. We are experiencing some very slight haze here, but it is mostly staying north. We're more influenced by systems coming in from the Pacific over northern Mexico colliding with systems coming in from the Gulf of Mexico, rather than the jet stream which is carrying the smoke.
Started to mow again yesterday, but ran out of gas and the can was also empty. Rather than make a special trip, I'll get it today when I go on the grocery/beer trek. Instead, I fired up the chipper/shredder and resumed attacking the ever-growing pile of clippings and prunings.

Thanks as always for the likes and comments regarding yesterday's update; Garry, Christian, Karl, Gary, Chad, Guy, Tom, Rick, Patrick.

Poached eggs and loads of bacon for me this morning Francine. I see Flo in the kitchen. Where's Mel?

Sometimes I have trouble making it out to the train shed, as I have to pass the pool on the way. That was the case yesterday and I only got an hour out there. Now that all of the trackwork and a lot of the ground has been cleaned and vacuumed on the quarterly cleaning project, I started on the structures. Among them are structures at the Red River Valley Feed & Seed grain elevator.
IMG_6919.JPG

IMG_6918.JPG

IMG_6920.JPG
IMG_6921.JPG

The elevator itself came from American Model Builders and is a plastic structure. They now make is as a laser-cut wood structure. The small equipment shed out back is a free cardstock structure that I downloaded from some place on the Internet. The gatehouse out front is the same building that I am using as the pump house at the cannery; I need to paint the roof. It is a switchman's shanty from a Tyco or Bachmann train set from the 80's.

Christian -
Thank you very much for your answer. My last question: maybe a bird's eye view or something like that? Thanks.
I posted some last month, obviously before you joined the forum. Rather than repeat them here, go here.
June 2021 Coffee Shop Scroll down to post #369.
Thank you for your continued interest.
Tom - That's quite a rainstorm. And I thought that I was the only one who had to deal with the water as in your pictures. Looks like the pool overflowed! ;)
Garry - Regarding track planning software. I never intended to use it when planning and building my layout. I had a rough sketch on graph paper of the benchwork and main lines, but basically "winged it" from there. Having built previous layouts, I pretty much knew what the various track and switch limits were and I had large (180°) cardstock templates of the various radii curves. I have only attempted to use the planning software in order to document what I have already laid out. Since my era is 1978-1994, I never considered a TT and roundhouse.

Rather than go into details about what's going on in Washington DC, and keeping moderators busy, I'll just say "What a circus!". Almost as much fun as the one on the left coast.
Instead, I am having a good time with the stock market. After the disastrous day Monday in which I didn't actually fare too badly, I moved some major funds into ETF's and more than quintupled my losses into gains Tuesday. I haven't looked at yesterdays results yet, but I have already made a half years worth of my old salary so far this year. Short term though as I need to re-balance to a safer position.

Everybody have a great day.

Morning from the Leftist Circus Land! We are starting the day here at 68 degrees F. Looking for 92 later on under mostly clear skies with breezy winds. The sudden shower that popped up a few days back was officially recorded as THREE ONE-HUNDREDTHS of an inch - WOW - when it rains, it pours!

The Spousal Unit and troop wheeled up at close to 11 PM and I stretched an electrical cord out to it, parked along the curb, in order to keep the fridge going until we get around to unpacking everything later this morning when they start to wakey-wakey. 697 Miles - they drove straight through - Glad I was not on board - 3-4 hundred a day is the most I want to go ... I like to poke around on the way.

Willie, I had a good past two days with the market - took a beating that one day and doubled up on everything -- came out very much ahead as of yesterday. Will hope to "hang on" to the gains through Friday in order to "milk out" the premiums on the options.

Just coffee to go this morning, FLO, I'll be back for some good vittles in a while!

Christian -
I posted some last month, obviously before you joined the forum. Rather than repeat them here, go here.
June 2021 Coffee Shop Scroll down to post #369.
Thank you for your continued interest.
Thanks. What a wonderful layout. Love it. You've done a really really good work. Unfortunately, I don't have the space (and probably never will) for building a big layout like that.

3097622233.gif
3097622233.gif
3097622233.gif
3097622233.gif
3097622233.gif
3097622233.gif

Good morning fellow modelers from Wisconsin. The weather is warming here today. Highs the next 4 days will be in the mid 90’s but a possible T-storm today. They promised last Sunday a dry 7 days but they aren’t saying sorry that we will be getting wet. Very overcast and strangely this morning no birds around!

We head to a minor league baseball game this evening. We met the niece’s boyfriend and his daughter last night and today 9 of us head to the ballgame. It was on the list of things for Terry and me to tick off anyway and so we do that today.

track planning, I have tried a few planning softwares but I always come back to graph paper and pencil.

Tom, water in the yard like that is one of the reasons I build on hills or rises on the property. Had a couple Xmas floods as a kid in the Chicago suburbs and promised myself never to live in a low area

stock market, Monday is one of the reasons I was/am lousy playing the stock market. To Terry, because of a day like Monday,Tuesday and Wednesday were days of opportunity. All I can say to Washington DC is term limits

TomO
3FAF2A8A-5BFC-4EFE-9A3A-130E96423379.jpeg

Good Afternoon all! Just sitting here watching the sky darken, rain is coming, hopefully not like Tom.
A grilled cheese with jalapenos and a malted please.
Not a lot to report. I do plan on some train time after the curbside pickup. Yes it seems we are going in the wrong direction again with this Covid-19 thing. Houston has change to "orange" status and I believe close to requiring masks for all again.

STAY SAFE

LATER

An an Aussie side note:

I was just dared to include the term "Budgie Smuggler" in my latest book, by a Canadian friend who has an Aussie friend that explained that term to him.

Yes, there is an Aussie character in the book, and I was asking about Aussie English...

This is not a guarantee that it will remain there, but it's in the text for now...

. Yes it seems we are going in the wrong direction again with this Covid-19 thing. Houston has change to "orange" status and I believe close to requiring masks for all again.

STAY SAFE

LATER

Thanks to the knuckleheads who refuse the vaccine. Watching the today show yesterday they were doing an interview (though a window, via phone) with a woman who was battling Covid from her hospital bed. Barely able to talk, she regretted her decision to not vaccinate when she had the chance.

Good afternoon everyone.....70's and over-cast in this part of Wisconsin. We need rain since here we're about 8 inches of rainfall less than average, but at the cabin, we're near normal after close to 16 inches of rainfall since the first of July. I couldn't believe the amount of rainfall until I confirmed it with friends who have rain gauges. No flooding problems at the cabin since we're in "Sand Country" and the rain just soaks into the sandy soil. But, we could use some rain at the cabin as well.

Last night we had "Happy Hour" in the four seasons room with all three sides open and we could near sunset, smell the smoke from the Canadian wild fires. Amazing how air travels.

Watched some of the Milwaukee Bucks play in the finals. Surprisingly, I only seen one Buck's game in person. The Marketing Director at work asked me to go to a game and I almost didn't go. He never told me about the tickets and how neat they really were and were limited to a very few advertisers. Our wives and ourselves were VIP Guests of the Milwaukee Bucks and in the former Bradley Center the Bucks had a hospitality area in the tunnel where the players enter and leave the game floor. Drinks and food were on the Team before/after the game and during half time. Our seats were on the floor at court-side, almost in the field of play. We had a great time during a once in a life time chance to enjoy a basketball game.

1626981602791.png

I haven't had much to say about Model Railroading lately since I haven't been in the train room at all. Hopefully, I'll return to the layout room sooner than later. It seems that other things just get in the way. My leg strength is very good, but now I need to work on my balance.

Riley, was at the Vet on Monday to get spayed. She acts like nothing is wrong and is full of energy in-spite of her surgery.

Saw and bid on a Howard Zane weathered BB reefer. I wondered if the car was a "Fake" not knowing the seller and the the final low selling price under $40.00. I seen cars from guys like Eric Brooman selling for a much higher price. My goal is to have a car from the likes of Howard Zane, Eric Brooman, and a few others. I like collecting rolling stock from other roads.

The Mrs. is at Best Buy to purchase a larger television for her space at the cabin in the loft. She has poor reception and the antenna guys says the age and size of her TV makes a difference in reception quality. Hopefully, a larger TV will make view better for her.

That's about all for now. Have to run and read the three manuals for my new vehicle.

Greg

###############################

Logan Valley Box Car.JPG
A box car visiting from the Logan Valley Railroad. The photo was taken near the Omro Junk Yard on the CM&N Railroad.-Greg

Last edited:
Good Morning Everyone. Clear and 68° right now. Only made it up to 87° yesterday, unheard of cool weather for this time of year. Weather geeks are shooting for 90° again today, but they've been wrong all week. They are predicting 101° for Monday, that's more like it. Without any significant rain lately the mowing has slowed down here, but yesterday I finally got around to the savanna over the lateral lines and septic tank. I have been pretty much ignoring that area for no real reason. Didn't finish because I was up against my self-imposed 45 minute limit for doing tasks outdoors.
View attachment 130129
I actually did much more than shown before getting over there. Hopefully I will finish this area and some more of the "back 40" later today. Meanwhile I have to get the grass clippings to the garden for composting and mulching.
Resumed grilling last night with some 93% lean Angus beef burgers, low-carb homemade zucchini fries for my wife and delicious homemade onion rings for me. It will be interesting to see what my blood sugar reading is this morning. Fries and rings were made in the oven since we haven't used the deep fryer in about ten years.
Speaking of food, my buddy outside the train shed scored a big ole grasshopper yesterday.
View attachment 130130

Sausage, cream gravy and grits for me this morning Flo. A glass of OJ of course.

Thanks for those likes and comments yesterday: Christian, Tom O, Patrick, Hughie, Karl, Garry, Tom, Rick, Jaz, Gary.

Much of what I did in the train shed yesterday is not really photogenic. Mainly ground cover. I did arrange some farm equipment in the John Deere lot though.
View attachment 130139
That goes with the equipment on the flat car.
View attachment 130140
I need to be looking at this load some more as I don't think I reloaded the tractors the way that I originally had them. The deck cribbing just seems to be off.
I also painted a concrete pad for the vinegar tank and pump building, crude but effective since it is set back from the aisle a bit. Note also that I replaced the vertical tank with another horizontal tank for corn oil storage. Still trying to decide whether to pave that area or use ground cover.
View attachment 130141

Jaz - Are you feeling better? It was sciatica if I recall.
Tom O - Four miles is tough for me. I rarely go more than 1 1/2 miles any more except once a week when I walk the 2.3 miles to the mailbox and back. Even that is getting tougher but I am still able to maintain a 3 mph pace. It's lonely though, not that I mind, I usually see one or two vehicles max, most times none at all. Going at daybreak, I do get to greet many coyotes and deer heading for the woods for the day..separately of course. I don't see the bobcats or the mountain lion any more since the newest neighbors developed their 100 acres into a "country estate". The mountain lion may have met it's demise as I first starting seeing it about eight years ago. The bobcats are most likely still around but not staying in their semi-visible hangout since they cleared out all of the undergrowth around the abandoned hog sheds there.
I am particularly fond of city scenes on my layout. I have everything from hamlets to towns to full blown downtown scenes.
Christian - You're not the first to ask; I am presently working on a rough track plan with pencil and paper. For whatever reason, I haven't had any luck with any track planning software. I downloaded Anyrail and I can't even get benchwork or a room diagram drawn. I tried SCARM and got a rectangle for the room, but no luck with the benchwork! I am normally somewhat computer literate, but I never had any training or experience with CAD. I am sure that I will have an "ah ha" moment with one of them at some time.
Chad - That's pretty much what the UPS Store manager explained to me. Makes sense but it was an extra hassle for me. Especially nice photo of the "hole" yesterday.
Patrick - I think that it is a real shame about the resurgence of the Covid virus and how it is crimping the lives of those of us who cared enough to get the vaccine. I keep reading that most of the new cases and deaths are people who haven't gotten vaccinated. The vaccinated people who are getting it (a vary small percentage), most likely would not have gotten it if more of the unvaccinated folks were responsible enough to get the damn vaccine. The whole situation really pisses me off. Some well respected person (if we could find one), needs to come out and put a heavy public shame on those who haven't gotten vaccinated.

Everybody have a great day. Today is National Hot Dog Day as well as National Junk Food Day. Seems like a unhealthy choice. Oh! My blood sugar count this morning is 123, a very slight bit above normal, but well below the 150 that my doctor wants it to be.
Yes at present fingers crossed barely a thing I am still going to the physio though as I can tell it has not gone,but clearly treating it/me with respect is working,the garden is no overgrown with weeds - but hey we are still eating the veg

Good afternoon everyone.....70's and over-cast in this part of Wisconsin. We need rain since here we're about 8 inches of rainfall less than average, but at the cabin, we're near normal after close to 16 inches of rainfall since the first of July. I couldn't believe the amount of rainfall until I confirmed it with friends who have rain gauges. No flooding problems at the cabin since we're in "Sand Country" and the rain just soaks into the sandy soil. But, we could use some rain at the cabin as well.

Last night we had "Happy Hour" in the four seasons room with all three sides open and we could near sunset smell the smoke from the Canadian wild fires. Amazing how air travels.

Watched some of the Milwaukee Bucks play in the finals. Surprisingly, I only seen one Buck's game in person. The Marketing Director at work asked me to go to a game and I almost didn't go. He never told me about the tickets and how neat they really were and were limited to a very few advertizers. Our wives and ourselves were VIP Guests of the Milwaukee Bucks and in the former Bradley Center the Bucks had a hospitality area in the tunnel where the players enter and leave the game floor. Drinks and food were on the Team before/after the game and during half time. Our seats were on the floor at court-side, almost in the field of play. We had a great time during a once in a life time chance to enjoy a basketball game.

View attachment 130155

I haven't had much to say about Model Railroading lately since I haven't been in the train room at all. Hopefully, I'll return to the layout room sooner than later. It seems that other things just get in the way. My leg strength is very good, but now I need to work on my balance.

Riley, was at the Vet on Monday to get spayed. She acts like nothing is wrong and is full of energy in-spite of her surgery.

Saw and bid on a Howard Zane weathered BB reefer. I wondered if the car was a "Fake" not knowing the seller and the the final low selling price under $40.00. I seen cars from guys like Eric Brooman selling for a much higher price. My goal is to have a car from the likes of Howard Zane, Eric Brooman, and a few others. I like collecting rolling stock from other roads.

The Mrs. is at Best Buy to purchase a larger television for her space at the cabin in the loft. She has poor reception and the antenna guys says the age and size of her TV makes a difference in reception quality. Hopefully, a larger TV will make view better for her.

That's about all for now. Have to run and read the three manuals for my new vehicle.

Greg

###############################

View attachment 130156
A box car visiting from the Logan Valley Railroad. The photo was taken near the Omro Junk Yard on the CM&N Railroad.-Greg
Good use of the old bogies,nice and rusty too, waste not want not, totally my kind of thing.

Good morning from Wisconsin. 67f degrees now with a solid breeze making it feel like 61 and only heading to 77. Very cloudy. The south deck is blocking most of the breeze.

Garry, great picture of the moon. We went to the airport last night and while our moon wasn’t as big it still had the orange coloring. Hit the pillow at 2am. I just never think of taking moon pictures, well done.

Seems noisy on the deck this morning. I can hear the land moving equipment as a new sub division is going up on land we sold just before Covid in 2019. We won’t see it from the house but I can hear the construction efforts.

I got a new phone 2 weeks ago tomorrow. I can operate the features fairly well. But, until last night in the cell phone parking lot I realize I never answered a call in. I think Terry was still laughing when we went to bed. I couldn’t figure out how to answer it. I will practice this morning. Life!

The girls were at The Game last night. I watched the last 2 minutes and a bit of the celebration. The Bucks are the 2021 NBA Champions. Wowie!

Spent some of yesterday afternoon playing lifeguard at the pool. The granddaughter’s play group adventure fizzled out so they asked if they could use the pool. 4 adults, me and the daughter’s 2 teenage neighbor girls who are trained life guards watched 12 kids in the pool. I had beverages but no food and everyone for 3 hours had fun. All girls between 8 and 10. I spent sometime with the graphpaper working on the layout design.

enjoy your day
TomO

View attachment 130142
Swiping this meme, Tom.

Tom, water in the yard like that is one of the reasons I build on hills or rises on the property. Had a couple Xmas floods as a kid in the Chicago suburbs and promised myself never to live in a low area
It's not low where I live. 4-5 inches in a little over an hour is going to cause problems. All that water was gone in 2 hours.

Good morning... Coffee Flo the grass is really growing after being watered.

Good morning as well, bagel with cheese and bacon this morning and great coffee. Raining here as well for days now, but ‘knock on wood’ no flooding here like some tragedies in places. I was able to get some more foam down yesterday at least which is a positive. Mostly outside stuff this time of year for me and still cleaning up the old deck that was taken apart. I can’t wait for my limited edition boxcars to arrive from Illinois.
3F9B9335-229D-4C00-92A9-9F10C10FA46D.jpeg
954EE156-7BC3-4512-832B-77AD04AA3CD7.jpeg
37CB4865-0A36-4FFC-8904-6B26A4A54E95.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back