Running Bear’s August 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning all,
Body shop got called for the truck. While not severe, the parts cost more than the deductible, I'll just let the insurance cover it. Rather not do the work myself. No claims in over 10 years, so they can cover one once in a while.
I'm going to try to get back to the train room tonight. I need to lay some more track and work through the sidings I'm thinking of.

Patrick -- Sorry I forgot to comment on your hitting Bambi - was the deer killed?
My daughter who lives out near Manassas, VA, managed to hit two of them after dark going home. There is a swale where the road goes down, around a curve, and then back up and the deer have a path there. Knowing that I question why she would not slow down when traversing that area - especially at night? Worse is the fact that it is only about a mile from her home.
Glad that you were not injured ... doesn't take much to do damage worth the deductible anymore.

CHET - Just another awesome photo! RS-2's, or 3's?

DAVE - Nice photo of you and the Mrs. Your modules look very nice - are they going to fit into your layout eventually?

Thanks Sherrel. The first one, #402 is an RS-3 and the one behind it, #425 is and RSD 4/5. Got plenty of these running around the layout.

Quick check back in on the forum:

Willie - you posted right as I was posting earlier today, I guess. Nice detailing on those downtown structures. I like the realism in those exterior walls. Continued prayers for your wife's recovery.
Louis - Some really interesting photos of the work on the loco at the Cass Scenic RR.
Dave - Nice photos from the train show.
Chet - Interesting photos from your layout.

Johnny

Good afternoon. It's cloudy-ish and 75.
I made it out of the doctor's office alive. He thinks I may live another year... Gee--thanks...
My replacement driver's license will cost $95, so I think I'll put i off for a while.
In the grand tradition of Murphy, our printer is causing no end of angst and frustration to my wife, so I bit the bullet, and bought a new one. The old one seems to work fine for me, and does for my wife, as long as I'm standing over it with a hammer. I took advantage of a 50% off sale at Office Depot, and got a new Canon for $53, including full cartridges.

Patrick -- Sorry I forgot to comment on your hitting Bambi - was the deer killed?
My daughter who lives out near Manassas, VA, managed to hit two of them after dark going home. There is a swale where the road goes down, around a curve, and then back up and the deer have a path there. Knowing that I question why she would not slow down when traversing that area - especially at night? Worse is the fact that it is only about a mile from her home.
Glad that you were not injured ... doesn't take much to do damage worth the deductible anymore.

I'd say it was deceased. I hit it, ran over it (tossed it forward and rolled over) and it attempted to get back up and was hit by the 2nd car behind me. She actually had more damage that I did. I was lucky the it was a small one (yearling) and didn't jump but attempted to outrun me. I carry a $250 deductible and as I said, the parts alone are over that.
20190824_082111.jpg
20190824_082124.jpg

You can see the bent tab for the grill and a small bend in the AC tube where the grill impacted it (right below the black band). The wire hanging loose is for the parking\turn indicator. I had to disconnect them to prevent further damage, but the plugs are intact. The headlight is lying on the bumper.

All in all, it could have been a heck of a lot worse.

UPS just came. I had ordered some D&H decoders and the ZIMO KATO-compatible decoders they made for the KATO/Lemke ICE4 set. (That means, ZIMO made EM13 and FL12 compatible decoders). They came today. Here they are.

Attachments

• IMG_2538.jpg
    IMG_2538.jpg
    440.9 KB · Views: 193
Good evening.

No, it is not a secret were I've been. I was playing with the 1:1 scale trains for the most part. I also got me a better half who has recently blessed me with a second child. :) In the middle of all this, we moved when I got a new job! o_O Half the battle was just trying to find everything again.

I had a busy weekend. Both of our families were over at our house, which turned out to be +30 people. Now we just need to relax a bit and recoup a bit.

Good night!

Good evening.

Chet ... Your picture of the Alcos looks real.

Patrick ... Sorry to hear about the collision with a deer. Such accidents seem to be getting more common.

Posse .. 30 people .... That’s a full house.

Good evening.

No, it is not a secret were I've been. I was playing with the 1:1 scale trains for the most part. I also got me a better half who has recently blessed me with a second child. :) In the middle of all this, we moved when I got a new job! o_O Half the battle was just trying to find everything again.

I had a busy weekend. Both of our families were over at our house, which turned out to be +30 people. Now we just need to relax a bit and recoup a bit.

Good night!
A likely story!

Mike I missed this post, forgive me. Why did you stop driving?
Louis, I stopped driving because of my vertigo. When I was getting dizzy while driving, I realized that I was becoming a potentially unsafe driver. I chose to stop driving before I injured/killed myself or someone else. This was almost 5 years ago. I let my DL expire & went & got a State ID from the DMV. With the Voter ID laws in Wisconsin, if you indicate that the identification card is for voting purposes, they will give you one at no cost.

I just placed my first order with Menards
View attachment 38824
I know I said I was not buying anything until I get organized, but I could not pass up this deal!
I ordered this 9-Piece Plug & Play Accessory Kit for $19.99 to get the truck for free!
View attachment 38825
The entire order was $29.61 with processing, tax and shipping.

I also forgot to mention my 2019 LCCA Christmas Boxcar arrived yesterday!
I have about half dozen(maybe a lil more) HO structures from Menards. A few were Christmas gifts from the inlaws(FIL is an assistant department manager at our local Menards). John Menard tests his employees pretty good. Gifts come in the mail every year for birthday, anniversary(start date) & several holidays thru the years. Shirts, pens & other assorted things.

I'm bored. We're moving my mother's stuff into her new digs, but I can't help; the humidity is making it difficult for me to breath. Guess I'll see if I can get into trouble.

View attachment 38965

Beady, one of my other lifelong interests/hobbys has been history, I've read many history books and one of the books I read on eastern European history described a tale of a young wife.

Living in medieval times the young wife was being regularly beaten by her husband. She had no other family so instead she sought the help of her nation's, Walachia, leader, Vlad Tepes. Vlad had a policy of seeing his people and granted her an audience. He could see her bruises and believed her story. His answer was to send two of his men home with her to beat her husband. Even after being beaten by the men her husband only became more violent with his wife.

Shortly after the incident with the young wife, the Ottoman Turks invaded Walachia. In response, one of Vlad's tactics in defense of Walachia, was to have hundreds of Muslims, prisoners of war, disloyal boyars, other enemies and criminals impaled, alive in what became known as "the forest of the Impaled". The wife beating husband was among them.

Although impaling may be to drastic a punishment, I do fully understand.

Vlad got the name "Tepes" when he came to power and impaled many of the Boyars after inviting them to a feast. He felt the Boyars took unfair advantage of the common people. Vlad was known to his people as a man who loved and supported his people. Vlad felt the wealth of his nation was the people who worked hard to create it, not the Boyars who merely profited off the hard labor of people.

Tepes is Romanian, and roughly translates into English as "the Impaler", Vlad Tepes is also known as Vlad Dracula, son of Vlad Dracul, The dragon.

Vlad, the son of the Dragon, is still a hero of the people of Romania to this day. As you probably already know, he is best known to western fiction readers and movie watchers simply as Dracula.

Beady, you may not have succeeded in stirring up any trouble, but you did stir my mind.

Louis, I stopped driving because of my vertigo. When I was getting dizzy while driving, I realized that I was becoming a potentially unsafe driver. I chose to stop driving before I injured/killed myself or someone else. This was almost 5 years ago. I let my DL expire & went & got a State ID from the DMV. With the Voter ID laws in Wisconsin, if you indicate that the identification card is for voting purposes, they will give you one at no cost.

Well done Mike! Discretion is the better part of valor.

Also kudos to the state of Wisconsin for the free ID!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back