Running Bear’s August 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning. Another cool start to the day at 45 degrees and we should get into the upper 70's.

I am a bit concerned about Joe as we haven't heard from him in quite a while.

Dave - Didn't comment on the train show photos. Nice. Like the hand car shed. That's about as large a building I have room left for on my layout.

Justin - Excellent photos again. Really like them.

Terry - Nice of you to get your wife a new printer. We had ours crap out last year just before bowling league started. With my wife being the league secretary, a new one was a necessity. Had to search a bit to find one with the largest ink cartridges we could get. Sure hate color printers not being able to print in black and white when a color cartridge is low. Learned a long time ago not to have cartridges refilled. An IT friend squared me away on that. Refilling cartridges will drastically decrease the life span of a printer. Printer companies make their money on ink.

Patrick - Looking at the photos of your truck, you did get away with what could be called minor damage. Could have been a lot worse.

Kyle - Sure sounds like you've been busy. Congrats on the new addition and the new job.

Mike - Looking at the Menards ads in MR magazines, they do have some interesting buildings. Unfortunately, I have no more room for structures.

Louis - I really like that Winters Coming picture.

Willie - Another great photo. The layout is moving right along. Would love to see the whole thing.

Johnny - That lit looks like the blacksmith shop I have on my layout. It had been sitting around for years and I was wondering what I was going to do with it until I decided to use that last somewhat empty space on the layout. I believe it was from Europe, but is a nice little kit.

View attachment 38987 View attachment 38988

Beady - I sure enjoy your sense of humor. I know you don't have to be sarcastic, but the world has given you so much material, it would be a shame to be wasteful.

We have more visitors coming from the east coast this weekend. Guess I'll be playing tour guide again.

Here's my photo of the day. Maybe it would be a good idea to go fishing.

View attachment 38990

Later
Chet, since I haven’t actually started my layout(still stripping the modules I picked up that sat around for 20+ years), I’m going to stop with the buildings I have. There’s others that I want, but need to plan my layout with the buildings I already have.

Last edited:
Sherill- only delaying the inevitable. That loss just means that they will likely clinch the division next week, against either the Rockies or Hated Ones. It just means they can’t celebrate with another pool party.

View attachment 38982
Moses would have needed a Jolly Green Giant to get that load of stone tablets from down off the top of Mount Sinai.
Wonder what God's got against train's? Maybe there's a BNSF grade crossing outside the Pearly Gates.
5 strikes against me. Didn’t know that this list supercedes my faith in Christ as Lord & Savior. Who knew?

“Judge not, that you be not judged. Matthew 7:1 Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition

It seems to me the moral majority has become an immoral minority.

Being critical is one thing, but to determine someone's final fate is going too far.

Last edited:
LOUIS - I came upon a tidbit of Baltimore history this morning - I did not know this.

One of the top actors of his day, John Wilkes Booth assassinated President Lincoln on April 14, 1865, before being killed himself. Four years later, President Andrew Johnson returned Booth’s body to his family. Today, John Wilkes Booth is buried in an unmarked grave in the Booth family plot at Green Mount Cemetery in Baltimore, Maryland. However, that has not stopped people from determining its location — and leaving a little something behind. In lieu of flowers or stones, people leave pennies behind on the headstone as revenge for Abraham Lincoln, whose face is on the penny.

Baltimore has always been a diverse city, often a true dichotomy. Another bit of Baltimore history you might find interesting. The first bloodshed of the Civil war.

“Judge not, that you be not judged. Matthew 7:1 Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition

It seems to me the moral majority has become an immoral minority.

Being critical is one thing, but to determine someone's final fate is going too far.

But who's counting?

FB_IMG_1564863667596.jpg

FB_IMG_1564626463935.jpg

Actually, Louis, I became aware of Vlad when I first read Dracula, back in high school; there's a section where the characters discuss the creature's history. I then read several books about Vlad, and bored to tears anyone I could get to listen.
It's a shame we don't live closer to each other. We could sit on the porch and have conversations that no one else would want to be a part of. Almost like we are doing now ;)

Good evening

Mike in HC ... Sorry to hear of your problem with vertigo.

Chet ... Your rural scene looks great from any angle.

Johnny... Thanks for info about AR & MO RR.

Willie ... Nice looking buildings .

Everybody ... Good to see you. Have a nice night.

Been trying for half an hour to get rrpicturearchives.net to load. Must be a busy time, takes ages, then takes ages more to show pictures enlarged. Was wanting to see if any more had been taken of the 4 ex BHP ACe's. Did eventually get access to a couple. This one is interesting of #4316 at the rear of a helper set returning to Helena MT on the down grade.

I presume it was shot with a telephoto lens that makes the grade look steeper than it really is. What I was trying to find evidence of was a report that said that the superstructure and walkways had been dropped down over the trucks in order to achieve the LC (low clearance) that they had in Australia's Western BHP iron ore mines. Looking along the sill line between it and the standard US built one ahead of it, it either wasn't, or it's been lifted back up to match as part of the re-acclimatization.
1566984438244.png

Good morning Everybody!

I've been busy this morning! A friend of mine asked for my help starting a new business venture. It's fun and easy do market research, set up a strategy and a business plan for somebody else to execute. In the mean time I'll probably take a nap.

My first thought was "I should be doing something myself", but I quickly caught myself. I'm not going to beat myself up over things I can no longer do. Instead I'm going to be thankful for what I can do, thank you God.

Been trying for half an hour to get rrpicturearchives.net to load. Must be a busy time, takes ages, then takes ages more to show pictures enlarged. Was wanting to see if any more had been taken of the 4 ex BHP ACe's. Did eventually get access to a couple. This one is interesting of #4316 at the rear of a helper set returning to Helena MT on the down grade.

I presume it was shot with a telephoto lens that makes the grade look steeper than it really is. What I was trying to find evidence of was a report that said that the superstructure and walkways had been dropped down over the trucks in order to achieve the LC (low clearance) that they had in Australia's Western BHP iron ore mines. Looking along the sill line between it and the standard US built one ahead of it, it either wasn't, or it's been lifted back up to match as part of the re-acclimatization.
View attachment 39006
http://cs.trains.com/trn/f/741/t/267885.aspx

Getting close to the end of the month. I haven't posted here in a couple months, been busy at the lake. May even go down in the basement and do some modeling today as we're back home here for a bit.

Flo, coffee please.

Good morning everyone. 64 and clear here. I'll have coffee, pancakes, and sausages, please, Flo.

64 here in the city, but got down to 60 out at our place in the country, so slept with the windows open last night. Nice to have a respite from the super-hot and humid weather and the rain these past couple of weeks. We're in for a stretch of nice days until next week, when it heats up again.

Sherrel, Justin, Patrick, Chad, Louis, Cambria, Garry, Wheeler, Dave, and anyone I may have missed - thanks for the likes and comments on the barn structure photos yesterday.
Chet - Yes, that barn does look like the structure you have for your blacksmith shop.
Everyone - So, according to some people you can't be a rock n roller and make it into heaven??? - - OR a model railroader?? I'm a born-again Christian and I don't think heaven will have dead, dry music and no "clickety-clacks." Sounds to me like the other place!

Nothing much to report from the train room. Did a little more painting/weathering on the old barn structure, trying to get just the right look. Later this week I'll start gluing things together and post photos of progress. In the meantime, here's a photo from the layout - - The figure in the red shirt is my version of "Where's Waldo" on my layout - every month or so I hide him somewhere and when the family comes over for dinner they have fun seeing if they can find "Waldo." He's been in a pickup bed, sitting on a billboard, on a hill, in several trees, and more recently here at Al's. I see I have a gutter that needs to be re-hung. Also have to finish the gravel parking areas in this part of the layout. Got some ideas from Willy recently on a "gravel" mix. And I need to continue ballasting the track. <Sigh> A railroad man's work is never done!
BreakTimeAtAl's.jpg

I actually have two "Al's General Store" on the layout, one in each town. I'm thinking of repurposing one of them into a bait and tackle shop. I'll let you know how that goes.

That's it for now.
Have a good day everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back