Photo Fun 20, 21 22

Phil, nice shots. I love the Point of Rocks area as well as the great railfanning. I didn't know MARCS ran there. I may have to pay them a visit again.

That Boise rebuild has about the most amateurish looking exhaust stack for the HEP unit I've ever seen. I'm sure it was the cheapest way to do it but did the have to make it look THAT ugly? :mad:

Phil, nice shots. I love the Point of Rocks area as well as the great railfanning. I didn't know MARCS ran there. I may have to pay them a visit again.

That Boise rebuild has about the most amateurish looking exhaust stack for the HEP unit I've ever seen. I'm sure it was the cheapest way to do it but did the have to make it look THAT ugly? :mad:

Well, the GP40FW-2s don't have that. When they were built, they extended the hood to have the HEP have it's own exhaust fan and radiators. They were COMPLETE rebuilds inside and out.

These GP39H-2s seem to be just mechanical different...not much changed on the outside. So, in order to accommodate room for the stack, they made that as a stack.

C&NW used similar ones on top of their E9s...larger in size, but not too terribly noticeable since they were short.

My current loco being used for WCRTA commuter trains, the 604, is going to get one of those stacks on it...

My current plans for the roster of WCRTA equipment is as follows: (and most are purchased...)

10 F59PHI
13 F7 (A&B)
6 E9 (A&B)
2 F40PH
1 F40PHL-2 (Florida Tri Rail's engines)
1 GP40FH (NJ Transit "Pigs")
1 GP40FW-2 (MARC Red Bonnets)
4 GP39H-2 (MARC Geeps with exhaust stacks)
4 GP38H-2 (My own freelance Geeps, basicly a 38-2 with HEP)
1 GP40ACeX (Known as the "Ace", basicly a GP40X, no dynamics, with a SD70ACe Cab)

Photos to come at the next photofun...

Phil

p1010015-6.jpg

Phil, looks like the commuters on your railroad are going to be well served. :)

Jeffrey, look out, the Kudzu is sneaking up on the back of your display locomotive. :D

I came up with an idea to reuse some old fence from my last layout. What do you think?

P1010018-8.jpg

Or should I just build a square-wire fence from scratch?

HEY FOLKS, just a reminder, this thread IS CLOSED to pictures...but COMMENTS are still WELCOME.

PLEASE post NEW PICTURES to THE MOST CURRENT "WEEKLY PHOTO FUN" thread. THANK YOU!

Hate to overload you guys with photos, but this IS the Photofun, isn't it???

As some of you may know, I am spending an indefinite time down here in West Virginia. One of the places I have wanted to see since a few years ago was the Harpers Ferry/Point of Rocks area. Little did I know that MARC trains run through there...

MARC is one of those railroads that I just love...I love their equipment, and I love their locomotives!

A surprise to me was learning along the way that MARC runs through the area. Since Point of Rocks was on my list of places to go, I timed it out to go there in the afternoon when I could catch a few trains, and see the beautiful depot in full sunlight...

For modeling purposes, I took a LOT of photos of these engines...I especially needed pics of the exhaust stack for the HEP on their old GP40-2s, as well as some good overalls of the GP40FW-2s...

Here's what I got...

DSC08710.jpg

DSC08720.jpg

DSC08731.jpg

DSC08750.jpg

DSC08754.jpg

DSC08760.jpg

DSC08765.jpg

DSC08772.jpg

DSC08776.jpg

DSC08777.jpg

DSC08778.jpg