on average, how many $$$ do you spend

It varies

Some years, I don't spend as much as others. When I bought my DCC system, I also bought 25 decoders and extra throttles. That same year I also bought a brass WM Potomac......yeah.. I blew a big wad in a month!!! Then there are years when I may spend 50-100 bucks a month, or even less! It really depends on what "phase" im into at the moment. I'f I'm building modules, the trips to Lowes can get pretty expensive. If I'm in a paint and decal mode, it's pretty cheap. Last month, between detailing parts, paint, radio cab and a base station, I guess I spent around $400 bucks.

Fortunatly for me, I have a very understanding better half, who would much rather have me playing with my trains in the basement than hanging out with my buddies at the local pub or racing cars (2 former "hobbies"). I also supplement my hobby expenses by building models for friends,doing repairs, and DCC installations for a modest fee.

Hey Ken, speaking of expenses, I hear you got some more throttles! Are you ready for that brace of MMID power to show up? I got the sound decoder in per your instructions (Thanks again!).

Karl

I'm not sure I wanted to figure put how much I have spent SO FAR this year. It appears to be about average with most of the others on the forum.

I'm still more in the "buy" mode for my layout than in the "build" mode. I'll be going to an estate sale this weekend to purchase a couple of specific items and look over the other items available.
The family is selling at the original purchase prices or less from 10-15 years ago for new-in-the-box engines and rolling stock. I like to buy some of the older kits of "limited run" cars or structures to have something a little different than what you see in the magazine ads.

I keep a short list of "upcoming needs" for future projects and will buy sale items for those projects. One man was giving up model trains for another, more compact hobby. I made him an offer for everything that was not engines or rolling stock. I got a lot of scenery material, several built structures and kits. As we were packing things up, he threw in a MRC power pack, some modeling books and his modeling tool box withtools, paints and weathering chalks. I also got three bags of ballast, which were on my list.

There are many other ways to recycle common items for your modeling. I use TV dinner containers as a source on styrene plastic for buildings. Foam meat trays have made great concrete bridge abutments. Broken or "ugly" boxcars can be recycled into storage units or workshops.
Just like other hobbies, there are places where "good enuff" replaces "the best money can buy". it just depends on what you need is.
Mikey

this year was about $1750 on engines and roling stock
last year was about half that with just 2 dcc engines and a DCC system
the year before was about 1000 (layout was still under construction)
first year with the layout under construction was around $500. track switches misc landscape etc....

... Hey Ken, speaking of expenses, I hear you got some more throttles! Are you ready for that brace of MMID power to show up? I got the sound decoder in per your instructions (Thanks again!). ...

Karl, I'll send you a PM to continue that discussion...

Try having four. Warhammer 40k, Airsoft, Computer building, and this.

Ahem to that. Although I haven't touched my warhammer 40k stuff in YEARS. I used to play paintball a lot and I still am constantly upgrading comuters. And gaming.

I think I have spent probably close to 200 bucks. I some how got lucky and won a BLI Blueline AC6000 that I then traded for some other stuff, and I am thinking of trading the AC4400 I got in the trade for something smaller.

Also I got lucky in that my mom and grandpa used to do this stuff, so I have a ton of track and building laying around. I lost the engines though, I don't know if they are in the attic or not. I do know I have to decide if I want to update the tyco rolling stock or not.

Hopefully by christmas, maybe within the next 6 months, I will have a DCC system sitting by to get installed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing now, I'm flat broke! Until I get more yards to mow, I'll be in the land of arm chairing for some time!

Since I started in the hobby three years ago I have spent between $3000-$5000. I have purchased everything I need for my layout except plaster for the scenery and wood for the benchwork. That money has purchased 400ft of flex track, 40 turnouts, 2 Spectrum, 2 atlas and 3 Proto 2000 diesels, about 75 peices of rolling stock which are all really good quality, a Digitrax Super Empire Builder DCC system with five decoders and power pack, about 50 structure kits that are all wood craftsman type kits and a huge assortment of other goodies. This would have cost me at least three times that at a hobby store. I have bought everything through Ebay and our local clubs annual train show. You can make your money go a long way if you are careful. The only things I buy at the hobby store are scenery materials and paint because the shipping makes them to pricey.

Something that no one has mentioned directly is that you can decrease expenses by increasing labor. You can:

Have it cheap
Have it fast
Have it high quality.

You can pick two of the three.

Just a FYI, at the estate sale today, for under $100 I got:
A Proto 2000 E7 undec engine
9 boxcar kits
a tender kit
an undec caboose
8 passenger interiors
7 assorted 18 wheeler trailers
2 sets of freight trucks
a soldering iron and stand
a new pack of track nails
a flexible holder for painting shells
and several misc. pieces of partially built rolling stock and shells for $1 each.
Hum! It seemed like more when I was carrying it around at the sale
Mikey

The only thing I ever find at garage sales is busted Lionel transformers and old Tyco junk. :( Sounds like a pretty good haul to me also.

Interesting topic...

for me it the spending comes and goes...I am to damn cheap most of the time but when I run accross something I want I will do my usual analysis of cost and value and need. If it is rare or unusual I will get it etc. It is real easy most of time to stay within my guide lines. Since I do not have a full blown layout now I just work on the rolling stock and motive power (steam or diesel) and try to get it all to NMRA standards along with DCC ready. So really on average I think I dont spend more than 600 to 800 a year. This would include items like the following:

All items would be in relationship to my modeling UP railroad:

1. Motive power acquisitions
a. Decoders install
b. Kadee install
c. Detail and decal if needed
d. Regular maintenance to include
i. Gearing
ii. Lube
iii. Cleaning

2. Rolling stock
a. Metal wheels change outs
b. Kadee install
c. Weight install
d. Detail and decal if needed

3. Books or other reference material (magazines)

4. Replacement parts like
a. lights

5. Digitrax equipment or accessories
a. Including decoders

count it ALL!!!

a reporter asked me today what it costs to run the sanctuary.

I did a quick bit of math in my head, and almost passed out. I told her: oh, about $50,000 or so.

trains will be NOTHING in comparison. why didn't I switch hobbies years ago???

LTF, because horses are cuter? :) That is a serious amount of money for your critters but I know you'll get rewarded in heaven for taking care of them.

Since I am just getting back into this hobby I dont have an answer yet but I can tell you one thing, some of my expensive hobbies need to go. Between photography, kitebuggying, power kites in general, and saltwater fishtanks, somthing has got to give haha.

What I can afford

I spend what I can afford. Because I work in the construction trade I have to be months ahead of my bills just in case the work suddenly runs out like now. I usually spend about 1200 a year around December 12 when I receive my 3600 vacation check. They give us the money and not the time off. This year I’m home so I’ll need the vacation money to get me through the winter. Maybe I’ll spend 200 this year. I’ll most likely retire next year so from now on it will definitely be what I can afford and no more.

NYC_George

count it ALL!!!

a reporter asked me today what it costs to run the sanctuary.

I did a quick bit of math in my head, and almost passed out. I told her: oh, about $50,000 or so.

trains will be NOTHING in comparison. why didn't I switch hobbies years ago???

Do you consider the sanctuary a hobby?

Is that $50K per year?

Do you receive donations?

Have you considered incorporating your operation as a 501(c)(3) for tax-exempt status? Unless, of course, the $50K is not a strain on your finances...

Gross or net?

Since 2006 my railroad modeling hobby has been run on a self-supporting basis, i.e., if I want something new, something I have has to be sold first.

This actually works out well, since I have two other hobbies - fabric arts and Boer goats. These are pretty close to break-even (I sell some of the art I make, and the Boers are meat goats and the market is pretty good for them).

Back