New SHelf Layout Plans

402drvr

So here is the new layout plan. I am hoping for some comments as to what problems you foresee and how to fix them. The goal is to simulate a few industries. The biggest industry on the left is a coal loading operation. THis will feature a coal loader of some sort. This area will be raised a bit to add some vertical interest to the layout. Not sure how high but I would like at least two inches. There are three tracks. One for the loading and two for storage of empties and full hoppers waiting for pickup. The short spur at the top is going to be room for two baxcars which will service a furniture plant similar to one I saw in Gardner, MA. The long spur at the front will service one or two industries yet to be determined. Finally the peninsula is planned to be a removable piece. For no I am thinking of a small intermodal yard, but I have also thought a lumber yard could be neat too. The other side of the peninsula seems wasted as I am having a hard time getting track there. I would like to use it if you have any ideas. I am planning to start building by the end of the week if there are no tragic mistakes in my design.

Hi,
I don't know much about operation type layouts, but I do know that you want to be able to set up a string of cars and get your locomotive from one end to the other. I see that you have one 'run around' on your current plan. It seems that it would be very easy to add a second. Might be a good option.

I also added an option for getting track on the other side of the peninsula.

Doug

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking something like that myself just gotta figure out how the crossing will work. I like the extra run around. I hadn't even thought of that.

Thanks

This is my version of the Pike City Belt line that appeared in MR away back - it can easily be mirrored for your situation - should keep you busy switching for a while

Last edited by a moderator:
So I took some of the comments from here and another forum. Thanks for all of them. Here is what I've got now. The peninsula is going to be an industrial yard of some sort. I figure once the general plan is down I can decide on what to put there later. The peninsula also will not be built till later in the process. As I mentioned before the peninsula will have to be easily put up and down as we use the bar for entertaining, so no structures that are complicated.

I also threw a Y in there as some folks made the great point about being able to turn trains. Guess I have to figure out how to wire that. THis will be DCC. I also included a glimpse into the layout in the other room. There will be an interchange track, and then on the other side of the main will be the yard for this branch line.

Here is what I think will be the final plan. Of course, that seems to be the tenth time I have said that. This time the track is bought though.

Well started laying track down today. Also picked up a couple decoders, and stuff. Sure is nice to see the trains out of the boxes again. Anyone know if you can buy a JST 9 plug? I bought two decoders, one digitrax sound and function, and one MRC sound and function. I have heard things about both and figured since I have a small fleet I would give each a go and make up my own mind. The MRC comes with the pin to simply put it into the loco but the Digitrax does not seem to. I am not real good at soldering so if there is not a plug to buy I will have to get one of the guys at the club to help me out.

Another question. For the two small sidings I am trying to figure whether or not to put down roadbed. It seems like generally when I see industrial sidings like this they are in the ground, or not elevated. Any thoughts either way?

Will post a couple pics tomorrow when I clean up a little.

So the plan for the peninsula has changed some. I am looking at making it into a dockside facility. Track plan will change some as well. Why? Well, there are no coal mines in New England, plus ships can bring in all sorts of cargo making for more chance of different rail traffic in one spot.

Anyone have any pics of this kind of facility? I know the P and W receives coal from ships down in Providence. Not sure if it gets loaded to shore then put on the train or goes straight from the ship to the hoppers. Anyone have any thoughts?

The pier will consist of two tracks on a concrete pier. I was thinking of using PVC pipe to model the pilings supporting the pier. Towards the other side of the peninsula will likely be just one track going to a warehouse or something.

Iam a newbie today so I hope I don't screw up my fristb post. I have a home in Jones Valley and would like to construct a very simple per mater layout around a 12 X 14" m/l

I have HO equipt, and O and G. Iwould like to do my O scale..

My health is not the best and need help, which I am willing pay for, This wpouild nmot be a big project.

If anyone knows of someone who would to put a few days to help me would be as happy as a clam.

Thanx to all

I am so happy I found this site

JOE>B

Hi Joe, :)

In what general area do you live? Maybe there's someone here who is close by and can lend a hand. Are there any local train clubs near you? They might be a good source of experienced help.

Greg

Another question. For the two small sidings I am trying to figure whether or not to put down roadbed. It seems like generally when I see industrial sidings like this they are in the ground, or not elevated. Any thoughts either way?

Virtually all of the sidings I've seen are lower than the mainline, some down in the dirt but most with some low ballast.

I use cork roadbed and I sand the cork down to whatever height I want. Much easier than sculpting foam or making a ramp with plaster (or whatever) in my opinion and easy to contour to whatever grade you wish. I then use the cork dust as a scenery material.

I think one of the best features you had was the wye on the peninsula. That gives you an extra movement in turning your locomotives. What did you actually decide on?

Also, I recommend you triangulate the corners where the peninsula meets the main back section. 90 degree angles are harsh on the eyes and narrow down your layout. Gentle curves or even angles take the eye off the bench work and onto the trains where you want it. You also don't want track right up against the edge lest the trains take a dive into the pavement.

Hey guys, well, the shelf portion has been built. I did abandon the wye for now. For two reasons. One I wanted a little more room for other stuff, and secondly, and the bigger reason is that forgoing the wye means the train has to come down to the run around in order to access the pier. THis makes for more movements. Never know though I could add it later.

The track does actually sit a little further back from the edge. I have lost a locomotive to gravity once in the past and would prefer notto do it again.

Thanks

Whip City Railroad

So here's the new design for the peninsula. Instead of a coal mine I am going to go with a dockside loading facility. The space on the left is going to be water. Barges and ships can moor up here and offload coal, which puts my hoppers to use. But, this is not limited to coal, I can use this area for a number of traffic types I think. Not sure just what yet, but another idea is to service a fuel barge. When I was living on Nantucket all the fuel was delivered by barge from the mainland. Not sure how it was really loaded but in my world it could be by train. All I would need is ports that the hoses could tie into a manifold which goes underneath the tracks to a barge.

Thoughts?

New pics. Changed a couple things around. Started installing the backdrop only to find that the above shelf presented too much of an obstacle. I am re-ordering the prints tomorrow and will then take down all the books and the shelf and put the backdrop in properly.

Back