Need recommendation for soldering iron/gun

Hey gang I need a soldering iron for fine work making connections on tiny N scale decoders and the one I currently have is too big and clunky. Does any one have any recommendations?

I love my Weller WTCPT Soldering Station.

wtcpt.jpg

Here's one vendor who happens to currently have it on sale.
http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/weller/solder/wtcpt.htm

Note that I have never purchased anything from this vendor. The WTCPT is available from many sources.

I've used my WTCPT for several N-scale decoder installations. Tips for the WTCPT are inexpensive and long lasting and are available down to .015 in. (.38 mm) diameter.

This is neither the most or least expensive soldering station available, but mine has lasted for more than 25 years and more than 10,000 solder joints, using the same three tips the whole time. For me, it's been a great purchase.

- Jeff

Consider how many inexpensive soldering irons you will end up buying over time and maybe the price of a good-quality tool won't seem so high. The cost of my Weller WTCPT averaged over the time I have owned it has been less than $6 per year, and it shows no sign of giving up. Plus, there is the benefit of having a tool that does its job really well.

Just my 2 cent's worth.

- Jeff

I have bought so many tools that were inexpensive, or cheap, only to regret not having bought the better quality one to begin with. I am 35, and I have learned that lesson...now, I research, and buy the best quality piece of equipment, given its use, and go that route. I have bought 3 $20 axes, when I should have just bought 1 $60 axe. Just my thoughts.

I just bougt a weller, WLC100 i think was the model. $46 shipped. bought on ebay, shipped from amazon.com in 2 days.

I use a Weller 100/140 (8100) soldering gun. It's a multipurpose soldering tool. Some people may think it's overkill, but I haven't had any problems yet. The fast heating makes it a lot easier to solder. Just touch and go, perfect joint every time.

I do use a 30 watt pencil iron for the small pads though since the gun has a larger tip.

For decoder installations or any small wiring jobs, I recommend a pencil type soldering iron with a very (3/32) small chisel or needle tip and a heating element no more than 30-35 watts. Your budget will determine what kind, but I use and love the Weller brand name and I have over 50 years soldering experience. BTW: I like to use solder that has some silver in it. It cost a little more that standard 60/40 but it will melt much quicker and is stronger. Radio Shack has this type solder.

I have 2 irons that I use consistently. Both are pencil irons. One is a 60 watt that I use to build turnouts with, and the other is a two range iron. It has a 20 watt setting that I use for decoder installs and a 40 watt setting that I use when I need something a little hotter on the workbench, which isn't very often. This one is sold under the Radio Shack brand , but I discovered that the heating element and end are made by Weller.

I've had both irons for over 5 years now, and have never had a problem with either. The irons they "replaced" are still in my tool box and they both still work. They are both 40 watt Weller but they're a little too hot for decoders, but not quite hot enough for for some turnouts. I'm keeping them as "take tos". As in take to a work session on the club layout.

They have a few nice weller solder irons at homedepot ranging from 15w and up. They are reasonably priced too. I payed under 20 for my weller and i love it, it does everything i need it to do

Those fancy solder stations are nice but its not needed

Absolutely agree with jdetray and NWP95501:
Like any quality tool, the up-front cost of a good iron is worth the fact that it will likely be the last one you'll need to buy. After messing around with cheap junk irons for so long, once I got a good one, the difference was like night and day.

I own this Weller. I love the thing - I've owned mine for about four years now. With its adjustable temp, I've used it for everything from soldering 30 gauge magnet wire, to LEDs and decoders, to soldering HO scale track and connectors.

Though I have no direct experience with it, several sources I trust give very very good reviews to this Hakko iron. It's $10 cheaper than the Weller listed above. On Amazon, it's also actually rated higher than the Weller! From what I've seen, Hakkos tend to have a cult following.

The key with both of these irons is that replacement parts (more than just tips) are readily available.

I think you'd be in real good shape with either of these irons.

Also, no matter which iron you end up getting, also get a brass tip cleaner. These work much better than a sponge.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a dirty secret. I use these: http://www.thesource.ca/estore/product.aspx?product=6412006&language=en-CA
I got one with their product replacement plan, so I get 2 replacements for free. This means that even though it's cheap, when it dies (again, I'm on my second) I don't even have to buy another one. It isn't as precise as the Weller, and it doesn't last anywhere near as long, but you know what? It's $17 for 2 or 3 years' worth of soldering irons, the power settings as extremely useful, and it gets the job done.
...The tips are kind of horrible, though.

Back