Need Help, Which Glue?.

Nuttman

I have purchased some Branchline boxcar kits.
I need some advise. Which glue or adhesive is best for attaching
the large nuts that are used for weights to the inside floor of the
boxcars. I sure would hate for one of them to come loose after
I had completed the kit. Many thanks.

Gene

Not to sound disrespectful, but I must have 20 different manufactures of glue and adhesives in the tool box and on the bench, Elmers, Elmers Wood Glue, Testors Blue, Green, and Orange tubes, Super glue, Super Glue Gel,Goo, Goop, Faller Expert, Plasti-Bond, a couple of different stick type adhesives, epoxy adhesives, Sticky Stuff, Rubber Cement, contact cement, Spray Tack......

My old standby, though, is the Testors Orange tube plastic cement. That stuff goes back, in my history, to my old car modeling days.

Bob

for dissimilar materials, like metal to plastic, combined with toughness and durability (like resisting fracturing or drying out and cracking over time), I recommend either a rubber cement or epoxy. A latex or silicone caulk/adhesive will work well and last a long, long time.

Super glues can work but are fussier about surface prep and are generally less forgiving of shock/fracture.

Plastic cements rely on melting of the plastic to weld it together. With metal parts to be joined, that ability isn't there. They'll work, but aren't the best choice in this case.

I agree with Ken. I've used both rubber cement and epoxy to glue weights in boxcars. They both work well with dissimilar materials where it won't be seen.

For car weights, two products come to mind:

Hot glue out of the gun, or silicone caulk. If you use a solvent based compound, allow the floor to dry for a couple of days before attaching the body.

I've used hot glue guns and they work well but I'm a klutz and always seem to burn myself. I now use silicone from Loctite that comes in tubes and it works fine and no more burns. :)

hot glue might work but it can distort some plastics with the heat it has (don't ask how I know...)

I haven't had much luck with hot glue being real consistent either, some is incredibly stringy, some seems to never harden completely (which might be good here), some is downright brittle.

it's an oldie, but still has some value......kinda like someone i know. I hope...

Last edited by a moderator:
Been in engineering a few years, have we, Ken? :) I haven't seen one of those guides in a long time. You're right about hot glue. The quality range is all over the board. 3M makes hot glue sticks with no stings and it's flexible and never turns brittle. However, last time I checked, It was about $3 a stick. :eek:

has anyone used gorilla glue for anything? i always see they have these small tubes and would like to try it. the zap a gap i have no keeps leaving a white haze on the surrounding area of what i just glued.

Gorilla glue is only "good" if you have a Clamp, and a good clamp at that, as it expands as it cures...

I've been using Walthers Goo for years with great success, and have recently started using Barge cement as well. Both are rubbery and very resilient to shock.

Steve that white haze is an indication that you're using WAY to much CA. Smaller amounts create stronger bonds, and far less hazing.

I agree 100% with Josh here. I too have been using Walthers Goo with very good results. I have used it for many jobs that require bonding 2 different materials. If high strength is needed I do not recomend it. Go with an epoxy or CA.

I've used about everything mentioned, Goo seems to be the best.
Some cars I just pour white glue and add BB's, under flat cars for instance.
I didn't see any mention of two sided tape or self adhesive wheel weights, had great success with both of those as well.

My favorite for weights and plastic HO figures is TACHY glue.

It is like white glue for compatability to materals, but dries clear and semi-flexible. A slight bump will not break the glue loose. It doesn't attack some plastics like GOO.

There are several brands available at Wally World, Michaels and Hobby Lobby.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I go along with Goo. I've used several different types with the Branchline weights, but Goo does the job and with less hastle than epoxies, plenty strong enough unless you plan on bouncing the cars off the floor:eek:. CA gel and rubber cement works good, as well.

Back