NCE powercab a beginners set?

NYSW F45

is the NCE power cab setup a good beginner DCC system to start out with? the price seems pretty good.

NYSW

I think it is, depending upon the number of engines you will be trying to run will determine what power supply you will need. You will be able to hook up another cab04 with it so that you can have more than one throttle. Also, as you grow out of it, you will only need to get the command station, as the power cab acts the same as the pro cab when you plug into the full blown NCE system.

Good luck.

Bob

I bought one about 7 or 8 months ago. This was after not having a layout set up for around 20 years. Within 5 minutes after opening the box (literally), I had a train running and was able to easily change the address and modify CVs. It seems very easy to learn.
I am just strarting to lay track for a layout now, but on a small oval I had THREE locos, all with sound, running and one other sitting at idle.

For less than $80, you can add the Smart Booster and have a 3 amp system or like grumpybob said, you can go with adding a command station and end up with as many amps as you care to have.

Lots of folks seem to like the Digitrax Zephyr too. I didn't care for the fact that it has to sit in one place, like an old powerpack. I like the handheld throttle.

Another item for the Powercab is due anytime now too, the USB interface so we can program decoders using a PC.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got it about three months ago, if i can work it anyone can, i looked at other makes but found them confusing to say the least, the NCE set is in plain english, spot on.

I also have this system. My first DCC and I had no problem getting up and running fast when I got it last year.

My only complaints (small that they are) so far:
Defaults to 28-step at power-up. Would prefer it to be set to 128 and forget it.
Recall button for 2 loco operation is very nice. But for 3 or more locos it's a pain.
No display for toggles for functions 9 and up. Only 1-8 are displayed on the LCD. It would be nice to momentarily show that a higher function is toggled on when pressed.
I like to set it to show the real-time current draw, but sometimes it freezes and doesn't update real-time. I have to re-apply that setting to get it to work again.

Just wait awhile before going wireless - they've discovered a problem with the code in their wireless throttles that was causing them to have really atrocious performance compared to others. This is being fixed in the Rev. 3 throttles - and I suspect they are going to be very busy upgrading all the throttles already out there.

thanks guys. So with the system only 4 loco's max is all this can handle? It said youcould run upto 4 trains, i guess they mean 4 loco's.

Probably 4 locos, but depending on how much current they draw, could be more, could be one less.

You yourself will not really to run 4 trains simultaneously; most folks might want to run two by themselves, but generally, the other locos will just sit off ot one side. YOu might get four trains running if you have 4 operators in the house, but you need more panels and throttles for that. Most locos will draw about a half amp per, more if stalled, less if just sitting, so that accounts for all the power coming out of the booster.

Kennedy

I'm with everyone else here. I too spent many years away from the hobby and when returning DCC was 100% new and totally confusing to me. I went with NCE's PowerCab system. Very simple install and I had my 1st train in years up and running within minutes. Great starter setup. I do plan on adding a higher amp solution in one form or another down the road.

going dcc finally in my retirement (jan 31) I'm thinking going NCE power pro , I kinda want the 5 amps to start with. Just the reading I've done NCE seems to be the easiest for us beginners. ( I hope)

what is the difference between the power-cab and pro-cab? If I got the power-cab beginners set what are my limits besides the # of loco's?

Hi, F45,
Another newby chimes in ;o)
I'm about 3-4 months into revisiting HO and jumping into DCC!!! Love it.
After digging, checking forums like you are, purchasing the DCC wiring book and downloading the users manuals from the manufacturers I decided on the Digitrax Zypher. I like the looks the unit - just wish it had the rest of the function keys. Very easy to operate though the manual seems to be written by a marketing-engineer. I have added a Universal Throttle.
Right now, I have only 2 locos - I can see where trying to operate more than 2 will be very difficult for one person. Because of that I will be adding isolated track sections for un-used loco storage or is there a way to completely shut down a loco from the cab where it is not drawing any power?

F45 - enjoy! this is great stuff and it keeps me off the streets at night :eek:)

Back