1@red spotted hawkfish
1@marron clown
1@lawnmower blenny
5@green chromis
4@purple sea urchins
4@hermit crabs
10@cabbage leather coral
10@green fuzzy mushroom corral
Yes i know, the 75gallon tank is over populated .....I just can't help myself!:D

The Night Life!

The sun has set and dusk light is the only light you see!
My tanks has really neat lighting set up even has moon lights too! i'll try to get shots of that!

And the party continues!

the party will continue until the moon shines down!

Last edited by a moderator:
That sea urchin looks great, one of my favorites. So, what's your opinion on the time and work involved for maintenance of a saltwater tank? I've had numerous freshwater tanks but have never been able to pull the trigger on saltwater.

That sea urchin looks great, one of my favorites. So, what's your opinion on the time and work involved for maintenance of a saltwater tank? I've had numerous freshwater tanks but have never been able to pull the trigger on saltwater.

The sea urchin I caught at the beach! I got four of them, I glad they didn't eat my soft coral!
I use to breed African Ciclids, and salt water is a lot more involved! If you get everything right off the bat when you first start it's a lot easier! I still need a Chiller, MH lighting and 50 more pounds of live rock. I like saltwater better and the comment when people first see it is cool:cool: :D
A FOWLR(Fish Only With Live Rock is easier than a Reef Tank

Stuff you'll need:
1.Great LFS=local fish store that specialize in salt!
2.Tank Better than 55 gallon
3. light kit that will produce 4watts bare min to 8 watts best results a gallon
4. Wet/Dry filter (Sump style)
5. Chiller
6. UV Sterilizer
7. 1 pound of live rock per Gallon.
8. Live Sand, do not use crush coral as a substrate! that's a big No No!
9. skimmer
10. RO/DI water purifier.
11. Salt Mix/Reef crytals
12. Odds and ends.
Read, Read, and Read.:D
Here's a good web site: http://www.saltwaterfish.com/

I broke 101 rules already, I just can't help myself! The purrest get mad at me;) LOL's

I'll see if I can post some old pic's of my fresh water set up!

Train? Well you could get a Morton Salt car and pick up the crystals from the salt creep that (I have read) is everpresent in a SW tank set up.

I used to have FW tanks, and now have a backyard pond (~ 1000 gallons) with two koi and three goldfish.

Train? Well you could get a Morton Salt car and pick up the crystals from the salt creep that (I have read) is everpresent in a SW tank set up.

I used to have FW tanks, and now have a backyard pond (~ 1000 gallons) with two koi and three goldfish.

The salt creep in my tank ain't bad cause I take care of if daily! now my sons tank can be used as a cow salt lick!:eek: always wanted to do a pond:rolleyes: but I would end up snorkling in it spear fishing:eek:

No! No spearfishing! It is a liner pond. Sharp objects forbidden.

It is just a large tank that you view from above rather than the side. Opens up the possibilities for garden rail also.

Saving for retirement is vastly overrated. :D

Nice looking aquariums, Chris. I really like the rock ledge you built in the freshwater aquarium. That aquarium looks like an exact duplicate of mine. What kind of filter were you using? Did you have live plants? I think I've solved the algae probem in my tank. I did a partial water change, added some algaecide, then put in a pump and big airstone that goes the length of the tank. The constant agitation seems to have kept the algae at bay so far. We'll see ff that fixes things in the long run.

No! No spearfishing! It is a liner pond. Sharp objects forbidden.

It is just a large tank that you view from above rather than the side. Opens up the possibilities for garden rail also.

Saving for retirement is vastly overrated. :D

My aim is good, Honest.......I won't hit the liner!;) :rolleyes:

Nice looking aquariums, Chris. I really like the rock ledge you built in the freshwater aquarium. That aquarium looks like an exact duplicate of mine. What kind of filter were you using? Did you have live plants? I think I've solved the algae probem in my tank. I did a partial water change, added some algaecide, then put in a pump and big airstone that goes the length of the tank. The constant agitation seems to have kept the algae at bay so far. We'll see ff that fixes things in the long run.

The 90 gallon fresh water tank, Had twin AquaClear's forgot the # but they were the largest ones they made and two 300gph power heads! Yes the plants were live one's, they were Java Fern! they grow right on the rocks and they aided in the filtering of the tank! In the future water changes By the RO/DI water from your local aquarium store, Most algae comes from your tap water!

I'll get you some picks of the saltwater filter i got's.........Now thats neat!

Let's take a trip through my filter!

Typical SW tank filter water flow set up!

Overflow Box -> Prefilter box -> Wet/Dry filter(filter pad->Bio Ball->Sump area ->Protein skimmer-> Return Pump-> Chiller-> UV Sterilizer--------> back into Tank. That's a typical Marine set up.

First and second pic......Over flow box----->third Pic...........Prefilter Box------> last pic........Wet/dry filter.

Wow, Chris, I think you could have had two layouts for what you've spent on aquariums. :) That's a serious filter system for the salt water tank. I've seen those bio ball filters before and everyone seems to swear by them for large tanks. My tank is 70 gallons and I've got a Marineland Magnum 350 which seems to be doing a better job than the smaller filter I had before. When I redo the tank, I think I'll try that rock ledge look like you had. Never seen that before but it looks much more natural than the normal gravel bottom. How much trouble was it keeping the bottom clean with all those rocks?

Wow, Chris, I think you could have had two layouts for what you've spent on aquariums. :) That's a serious filter system for the salt water tank. I've seen those bio ball filters before and everyone seems to swear by them for large tanks. My tank is 70 gallons and I've got a Marineland Magnum 350 which seems to be doing a better job than the smaller filter I had before. When I redo the tank, I think I'll try that rock ledge look like you had. Never seen that before but it looks much more natural than the normal gravel bottom. How much trouble was it keeping the bottom clean with all those rocks?

The rock ledge was done with gray slate glued togeher with this:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3728+3961&pcatid=3961
Trust me Glue the rock, a landslide in the tank=70gallons of water on floor!

the bottom was covered in rather large piece's of slate place just so, and I lightly littered the top with smaller pieces of slate. So cleaning the fish poop off the bottom of the tank just required lifting out three rather large rocks and two hand fulls of crushed slate before cleaning! The wall stayed put!!!!

A bio filter isn't really required on a fresh water tank! Just get some of those Java Fern, they do wonders and grow real fast with very little effort!

Pic's of the Babies!

first one: Orbital Batfish, we call him Orbity! He's the lap dog of the tank, he's handful. He going to eat me out of house, he also is a attention hog!

Second pic: Spotted hawkfish, My son calls him hawk eye. He is a curious booger, he'll purch himself and what what's going on outside the tank.

Third pic: Maroon Clown fish, Clowny is a quiet fish, spends the day looking for miss right and keeping his bachlor pad clean and ready!

the last pic is of The sleeper head goby, he spends the day sifting sand for food. he's kinda shy fish!

Back