My Saltwater Aquarium!

the next fish!

First pic: Green Chromis, we have no names for them. Fun fish to watch their colors change under the tanks lighting. They go from green to blue as they dart back and fourth as a small school of 5 checking out every spec floting in the water!

Second pic: Fox Face Rabbit Fish, she's a little camera Shy! We call her Foxy,...LOL's. spends the day eating algae of the rocks and just swimming with her friends.

third pic: (The fish in the Back ground)Bi-color parrotfish, He's also Camera shy! his name is polly, like his friend Foxy he's drifts back and fourth nibbling algae and eating rock!

last pic: Lawnmower Blenny, we call him Benny the Blenny!LOL's Fun fish to watch, he loves to eat algae! like Hawk Eye he tends to sit here and there just watching others and us!

hope you like seeing the fish will do the inverts next time let you get to know them:eek: :rolleyes:

The Inverts!

The first pic: Blue leg Hermit Crab. He's just a Crab that it, Just a crab. A detritus eating bottom feeder, I know some people like him!LOL's JK
He's a neat little guy to watch, there's two of them in the tank one big one small.

The second pic is of my Cabbage Leather coral

The third pic is of my green fuzzy mushroom coral

The last pic is of My only cat eye snail, need more though!

If you look real close on the rock you'll see tiny little feather duster's!

First pic: one of four of my Purple sea urchins, he's grabed some of my plants and using it a camo!

Second pic: one of the other urchins, they get real active at night! Funny thing about the pic is benny! Before I snaped the pic, he quickly perched him self on the Mag scraper! He just had to be in the pic!LOL's

Third pic: Is of a turbo snale and if you look on the rock all around him you'll see tons of tiny feather dusters!

Last pic, Is of Mike Rowe, doing a job no Amercains won't do! Mike and his little brother(Common Hermit Crabs) live in the wet/Dry filters sump area eating detritus and things the filter didn't get! I can't put these crab's in the tank cause they will eat everything they get their little claws on! but their happy as pigs in a sty!:D

I hope to get some Emerald crabs http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_1...ategory=4&category_search=63&root_parent_id=4 soon to help with the hair algae in the tank!

Nice selection of fish. Chris. Mine don't have names, but, at 5 bucks a fish, you don't get quite as attached to them as I'm sure you do at the prices for saltwater fish. I think I've seen all those fish scuba diving in the Caribbean. Makes me homesick for the ocean again.

Nice selection of fish. Chris. Mine don't have names, but, at 5 bucks a fish, you don't get quite as attached to them as I'm sure you do at the prices for saltwater fish. I think I've seen all those fish scuba diving in the Caribbean. Makes me homesick for the ocean again.

Saltwater fish ain't much more! the most i'll pay is $25.00, My most expensive fish would be foxface at $18.00 and the cheapest would be the chromis at $4.00........we don't get attached cause the price but we get attached to them cause the saltwater fish seem to be way smarter and have way more personality than their fresh water cousins! When I have my hands in the tank the orbity tends to play with the hair's on my arm to get my attention(That hurts) then just gets in the way when i'm working in the tank! I was scrubbing the rock last week and he would hover between my hand and my line of sight:mad: i would move to another area and there he was in the way. push him out of the way with my son tooth brush(that's what I use to clean the rock's) and he's back!:mad: Crazy fish:rolleyes: I hope the pic's help cure the sickness! when i can't get to the beach, I just look at the tank...............and i'm there!

There's something about the open water? The sight, smell, taste, sound and feeling of it you just can't get out of your blood! One of Gods greatest gifts next to life..........

I'm kidding I don't use my sons tooth brush! how mean do you think I am:confused: I use my father in laws!:eek: then sneak it back to his house before be misses it:D !

Last edited by a moderator:
New pic's of my tank and as soon as I get a new dual actinic bulb for my sons tank I'll take some pic's of his 12 mini reef aquarium!

Chris, you've got a nice selection of fish for not much money. Most of the saltwater tanks I've seen have fish up in the $50 range. That batfish is really striking. I wonder if your FIL wonders why his toothbrush tastes salty? :) I added a bubble curtain to the back of the tank last week and it seems to be really heping with keeping the algae down. I don't think I had enough agitation in the tank before I added the bubble curtain. It's funny to watch the fish since I put it in. About half of them love the bubbles and swim through them all the time and the half won't go near them.

Chris, you've got a nice selection of fish for not much money. Most of the saltwater tanks I've seen have fish up in the $50 range. That batfish is really striking. I wonder if your FIL wonders why his toothbrush tastes salty? :) I added a bubble curtain to the back of the tank last week and it seems to be really heping with keeping the algae down. I don't think I had enough agitation in the tank before I added the bubble curtain. It's funny to watch the fish since I put it in. About half of them love the bubbles and swim through them all the time and the half won't go near them.

The bat i had a while, he was a tiny baby, got him for$14.00 he's still a baby In a year or two I'll have to traid him in for a smaller one! I can't add bubble curtains:( the loose bubble hurt the corals and fish.......in many diffrent ways. Ever watch the move (Finding Nemo)? The crazy fish in the tank going nuts over th bubbles!LOL's......."BUBBLES!":D My FIL ain't that quick! This weekend I'll have to go up there and get his tooth brush again;) :rolleyes: ! Unless I can scrape up a few bucks for some Emreld crabs!

My sons 12 gallon SW tank is cheap set up! I'll get some pic's of it! That's the tank that started this mess in my house!

My sons tank!

For you wood be SW tankers! If your thinking of wanting a SW tank this is a great way to go! Mind you, this is very addicting and there is no cure! enter if you dare!

This is what we got: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3730+13976&pcatid=13976
-The lighting is actually 64watt the add says 54watt.
-You'll need to change out sump pump, cause the stock one is way to little to do a good job! We used a marineland 1150 power head in it's place! also we added a marineland 550 in the corner of the tank to improve water movement! then set up tank as the instruction tells you. Your going to need to make small adjustments here and there. Also make sure to order reef crystals salt mix, 20lbs of live sand, 20-30lbs of liverock, Kent nano reef a/b mix and water test kit. Your local aquarium store will help if not just let me know if you do this and I'll help you as best as I can!:D

If you got the extra Coin go and get the 24gallon with the Sunpod HQI lighting http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...3130&thumbpage=1&list=3130,2863,3665&breeds=1 ! I wish we went that way:( the sunpod is a great light and for the price you can't beat it, The 150w sunpod alone is a $300 light kit! The lighting is enough that you'll be able to keep just about any coral or animal you want where as the 64w your very limited! your still going to need to make the small changes to the filter as with the 12 gallon!

Here's some pic's of Ryan's Tank!

The fish are more shy than mine but the stock in his tank are:
1 Clarkii Clown fish, very fun fish to watch!
1 Cleaner wrass, they say these are tough fish to keep. we had him since last april!
1 Lawnmower Blenny!
1 green chromis
1 star fish
1 sea urchin
tons of coral polups
1 porclin crab
6 turbo snails
1 stone crab
1 feather duster

Last edited by a moderator:
I do like to watch fish, it is so relaxing. I used to keep some tropical species in a 4ft tank,,, i ended up with one big fat Tiger Oscar (Cyclid) he was a whopper, and nasty :)

I do like to watch fish, it is so relaxing. I used to keep some tropical species in a 4ft tank,,, i ended up with one big fat Tiger Oscar (Cyclid) he was a whopper, and nasty :)

See.........I Have two tanks!:eek: ;) I had an oscar a long time ago, I think I have kept just about every type of fish.......always wanted a electric eel and few others....that state won't let me have :mad:

Is that green algae in your son's tank the stuff you're trying to get rid of with the crab? It looks like stuff something would like to eat. I used to have a real agggresive tank with cyclids, tinfoils, and such. I had one Jack Dempsey fish that got to be about two feet long and finally ate every other fish in the tank. He was really mean. If I stuck my hand in the tank for cleaning, he'd attack immediately. He could draw blood with his bite. He went to fish heaven shortly after his last big attack, when he bit me on both arms. That's why I decided on a nice community tank this time. :)

Is that green algae in your son's tank the stuff you're trying to get rid of with the crab? It looks like stuff something would like to eat. I used to have a real agggresive tank with cyclids, tinfoils, and such. I had one Jack Dempsey fish that got to be about two feet long and finally ate every other fish in the tank. He was really mean. If I stuck my hand in the tank for cleaning, he'd attack immediately. He could draw blood with his bite. He went to fish heaven shortly after his last big attack, when he bit me on both arms. That's why I decided on a nice community tank this time. :)

Jim, you ought to give salt water a try, a small SW tanks are fun! The crabs I want are cheap but in high demand! ran all over no one had them.:mad:

New pic....

first shot is of ryans tank with the new light.........

Second shot is one of 4 scarlet hermits in ryans tank.......

Third shot is in my tank the one of the old Janitors meets the one of the new cleaning crew member!

Nice tanks! I use to breed Kribs and angles too......along time ago great fish parents, dang things breed like cats:eek: Hard to get LFS to take them any more the $$ to raise them wasn't = the cost of raising them!:(

My tank is over stocked:eek: when I bought the fish I planed on half of them not making it........well only lost 3 fish two jumped and the bi-colored angle died from ick. and i don't have the heart to take some to the LFS and sell them....I wasn't planing on coral either but put some in the tank for S&G's and their living? I only have 218 watts of light the coral should be making it:confused: but they do. anyways nice tanks!:) :D

Back