My N Scale Track Plan

I recommend temporarily tacking down the track to run trains. Then you can get a better idea of what works (or not) and what you like (or not). This way its pretty painless to make a change.

Plan B for me. Longer yard, looks like a little longer mainline and tracks parallel to the edge don't bother me much.

Agreed

I recommend temporarily tacking down the track to run trains. Then you can get a better idea of what works (or not) and what you like (or not). This way its pretty painless to make a change.

Another good idea. I'll lay out as much as I have (won't likely have all the track I need all at once) and pin it down first. I'll have at least an inch of foam so it won't be difficult to do that.

Athlon,
I still haven't decided which is better; A, or B. How about C?

I agree with the comments above, and think waltr has a good point, about 'seeing how things work.' Mock ups are always helpful I've found, particularly when they are full scale.

Don't know about the weather, but are you planning to attend the Amhearst Railway Society 'swap meet and show,' this weekend in Springfield, MA? I went there for the first time about 2 years ago. Very inspirational, if you're not completely overwhelmed. You might walk away with some ideas you hadn't considered before. check it out thru google, if you're not familiar with it.

Otis

Otis,

I've been to that show a couple of times over the past 10 years and would love to go this weekend but we're away until Monday. It's a great show.

Athlon:

Been following the thread here - looks like a fine layout.

Regarding track parallel to the straight layout edge, on my layout the track running along my two straight edges is at about a 3 degree angle. Yes, that is almost parallel but it does makes a positive and satisfying visual difference for me. I'm glad I did 20 years ago. If interested, you can easily test this for your self with the mock ups.

DougC

Athlon:

Been following the thread here - looks like a fine layout.

Regarding track parallel to the straight layout edge, on my layout the track running along my two straight edges is at about a 3 degree angle. Yes, that is almost parallel but it does makes a positive and satisfying visual difference for me. I'm glad I did 20 years ago. If interested, you can easily test this for your self with the mock ups.

DougC

Another fine suggestion.

I'm still toying with Westboro. I'm trying to figure out a way so my trains won't be pulling in and out of the tunnel while switching.

I know I need to make some compromises with my small space, but after reading this and seeing these I'm trying to incorporate as much into the Yard as possible given my limitations. My current plan is just a big parking lot. :eek:

OK - I got up early this morning and fired up my laptop to work on the Westboro Yard.

Scarm is a great little piece of software, but I missed my desktop and mouse (we're away for the weekend).

Anyway, I was leaning toward Plan B, but I didn't like having to use the lower tunnel area as the lead. I'm still a newbie at this, and after reading the link in my previous post last night and watching the videos linked to in my previous post I got to thinking.

'Got to thinking' is understating it, by the way. Do you guys obsess sometimes with this stuff? (Rhetorical question. :D ) I woke up at 5:00am and had to work on this! :eek:

Here's my latest effort........

Yellow: Lead (33")
Green: A/D (32")
Red: Caboose
Brown: Engine Service area

The longest yard body track is 29"

I may have crammed as much as I can in there? Without over doing it and still leaving room for scenery?

Last edited by a moderator:
Things are looking better and better! The biggest question I have is..........will there be enough room for the industries that you are planning on depicting? One of the biggest problems we run into when planning a layout is underestimating the area required for our buildings, even if it is just a flat along the wall.

I hope so. My priority for now is the main and yard. I know I don't have a basement size layout here, but I'd like to do some switching/train building when I'm far enough along to connect power.

I'll look for spots for each industry next after I'm done with the plan (likely soon). I know I'll likely change the plan a little when I see real track on the bench, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to that stage.

For know, I'm just trying to get the elements important to me on paper, and asking you guys to peak over my shoulder in case I'm not seeing something I should be considering. I really appreciate all of the suggestions and encouragement here! I also hope this thread can serve as a tool for others (right now my only way to give back to this community being a newbie and all).

I downloaded XtrackCAD this morning too. I'm going to re-create the plan in there so that I can run some trains (Scarm doesn't do that). That should be interesting.

Here is what may be my final track plan (at least on paper).

Things may change of course as I put down cork and track on the table. I can see I may lose a yard track if it's too busy looking on the table.

Yellow: Lead
Green: A/D
Red: Caboose
Brown: Engine Service area

I picked up enough lumber yesterday at the local lumber company to do the benchwork. The guy that cut everything for me was great! I'm using 3/4" plywood with a slightly modified 'L Girder' design. I may start another thread with progress pictures soon!

Thank you all for your help with getting me this far!!

-Dave L.

Only problem with latest plan is all the backing required to use the yard. My other impression is that the yard uses up a lot of space.

Last thing. When I come up with what I think will be my 'final trackplan,' I usually ask myself 'do I like it,' or 'will I be satisfied with this?' Also, 'can I build it?' Sometimes its good to step away, the revisit later, even if its only a day, or week later.

I know you're pretty far along with your plan, but I've uploaded a sketch, for you to consider. If you run your yard along the opposite diagonal, from what you've got now, you've got longer yard tracks. Maybe with fewer of them. Gives you other possibilities, scenically, if its doable with your minimum radius.

Otis - Thanks for taking the time to do that.

As I said in my previous post, I may be cutting the yard size down when I actually see it in the table.

As for having to back up when using it, it's something I keep looking at too. The only thing I could come up with was a reverse track somewhere, but even that doesn't solve the 'backing up a lot' problem.

I may play around with your idea of moving the yard so I can have the main go right through it. If I can figure out a way to do that and still have at least three industries that would be great. Because this is my first layout, I would also like to avoid grades.

Thank you for thinking outside the box for me. I still have plenty of time before I lay down track. I have the lumber for the table to fill my allotted space, but I haven't glued or screwed anything yet.

No matter what I do, I just don't have the room to have a double ended yard like in your drawing...........

I even tried with a curved yard, but still not enough room. The only way to do it would be to go with a point to point design.

Here's what I've tried.

The first picture shows how small the yard has to be to fit on a diagonal, and the second picture shows a try at a curved yard.

Athlon,

Just trying to help. Nothing necessarily wrong with a single ended yard. Right now I'm having some problems with my printer, or I'd draft something up, for you to consider. Refresh my memory-are you looking to avoid any elevation changes?

Athlon,

Just trying to help. Nothing necessarily wrong with a single ended yard. Right now I'm having some problems with my printer, or I'd draft something up, for you to consider. Refresh my memory-are you looking to avoid any elevation changes?

Yes, I would like to avoid elevation changes for 2 reasons:

1) My first layout
2) When I had them in an earlier plan they needed to be 3% or 4% grades to get up and over track because of my 'small' space.

In my plan I do have to back up to do most anything on the layout, however I did figure out a way to get a train off the main and into the yard before any backing up takes place.

As for what I would like to accomplish:

1) a yard for switching activities
2) at least 3 industries
3) at least one loop for continuous running
4) at least a 12.5" radius on tracks near the edge of the table

I think I have all 4 in my plan.

I would be OK with a reverse loop and less track if I could come up with an interesting alternative. I can already see I may need to eliminate a track or two in my yard.

I came up with an alternate plan with a double ended yard (suggested by otiscnj)

It eliminates a lot of backing up for sure, but adds more of a spaghetti bowl look.

Pros and Cons between A & B?

Al

I wouldn't let the 3-4% grades stop you from doing what interests you. Sometimes in life you have to compromise.

When I started in HO, my first layout with a grade had 7% on a curve. Eventually, on that layout I got it down to 5.5%. Yes, I could only haul a short train with a single engine, but that was in the 1970's-things have changed some since then.

I've attached a plan I came up with for you. I'll warn you up front, its got 3-4% grades, but I think it has got everything else you might want.

I've also attached a 'Bill of Material' from the program I used. Ignore the prices-they are most likely out of date (maybe 2003). Regarding the 'User' straight track, these are sections of track 'cut to length. I didn't 'fully dimension the drawing, but did work with the overall dimensions you indicated earlier on. Hope this helps.

Your most recent plans look good to me. YOu may need to reach if something derails in the back corner, but again 'everything is a trade off....' Best of luck!

Otiscnj - Thank you very much! I will take a close look at this. Again - Thank you very much for the time you put into this!!

Questions;
1. How long are these yard tracks?
2. How long is that switching lead?
3. How long is that siding at the top? (None of those seem long enough.)
4. What is the size of this layout? I didn't see anything listed.

The problem with single ended yards is, you can't really "yard" trains in them, there is no way to get an engine off from the other end.
It might be better if you go back to single track (as much as I love double track) that would give you more room for longer sidings and yard tracks. ;)

Back