My N Scale Track Plan

Athlon

N Scale Dreamer
Hello!

I've negotiated a corner of real estate in a bedroom for a layout. I'm using Scarm to plan. Here are two screenshots from that fine piece of software.

The blue outline shows the space I have. The left side and rear (top in the first screen shot) will be against the walls of the corner.

The yellow track will be hidden in a tunnel. I'll be able to slide the table away from the wall if there is a problem in there.

I don't think Scarm will allow me to alter the terrain, so please realize that the area behind the yard nearest the back of the layout will continue to rise up (mountainous) and blend into the backdrop.

I'm at the planning stages, so any advice is welcomed!

Thank you!! :)

EDIT: POST #50 ON MY PAGE 5 (FEB 6, 2013) IN THIS THREAD SHOWS THE LATEST VERSION AFTER ADDING YOUR IDEAS AND SUGGESTIONS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will you have easy access to the left and back side so you can get to re-railed trains in the tunnel?

Another idea would be to get rid of the tunnel (or just put in a short section) and elevate the loop that is now in the tunnel.

Will you have easy access to the left and back side so you can get to re-railed trains in the tunnel?

Yes. I'll be able to slide the table away from the wall if we have problems in there.

The reason for the tunnel was to minimize the 'round and round' look while a the same time letting the train run.

I may want to add a siding in there as sort of a staging area.......

More thoughts on my plan......

I will replace the snap track with flex track where I can.

I can post the Scarm file if anyone would like it.

The changes in elevation are all 2%.

I would like to have more elevation, but I'm not sure about 3% grades.....

I notice that there is no reverse loop or runaround track so if you pull cars out of the top sidings if you wont be able to drop them in the other sidings . You will only be able to go into them engine first.
Are you intending to run steam or deisel?
What industries do you want to have?

I notice that there is no reverse loop or runaround track so if you pull cars out of the top sidings if you wont be able to drop them in the other sidings . You will only be able to go into them engine first.
Are you intending to run steam or deisel?
What industries do you want to have?

Diesel. And good point.

I wonder where I would place a runaround? I added a turntable at one point, but it overwhelmed the plan because of it's size. As for industries, I haven't nailed that down yet, but likely something common to New England.

By the way - I'm open to changing everything........

Diesel because I already have two engines:

An Atlas SD-24 and an Atlas GP-38, both with DCC.

Looks good, but the tracks running along side the tunnel don't quite seem right.
Maybe you could redirect them towards the creek/river by the bridges?

Looks good, but the tracks running along side the tunnel don't quite seem right.
Maybe you could redirect tham towards the creek/river by the bridges?

Are you talking about the 2 track yard near the top of the trackplan?

Yes those is them.

I may have time to post an updated plan tomorrow. I have an idea to incorporate a runaround and at the same time move that yard.

Collaborating like this is freakin' great, by the way. Thank you all for your ideas!! :D

Diesel. And good point.

I wonder where I would place a runaround? I added a turntable at one point, but it overwhelmed the plan because of it's size. As for industries, I haven't nailed that down yet, but likely something common to New England.

By the way - I'm open to changing everything........

Diesel because I already have two engines:

An Atlas SD-24 and an Atlas GP-38, both with DCC.
Well if you are running deisels a turntable isnt neccesary,The engines are often run backwards. You will also find that model deisels pull better up gradients than model steam engines. But you will only get half to two thirds as many cars up a 3% gradient as a 2%.
From your last post It sounds like you have a spot for a runaround, just make sure its longer than the longest train you intend putting into the top yards.

From your last post It sounds like you have a spot for a runaround, just make sure its longer than the longest train you intend putting into the top yards.

Thanks for the advice. You caught me while working on the plan, so good timing.

Good to know about the grades. I'm going to keep them to 2%. I plan to try the WS foam risers for that.

SCARM is an excellent program, I'd be lost without it. Do you have anything major planned for the middle of the layout in terms of scenery? My only concern with what you have so far is that there's not much of a mainline run to speak of, which is common for switching layouts, but you don't have much yard space either. A plan with more tracks might look like a spaghetti bowl in 2D, but once you separate things with elevations and scenery it looks much better.

I notice that there is no reverse loop or runaround track so if you pull cars out of the top sidings if you wont be able to drop them in the other sidings.
... just make sure its longer than the longest train you intend putting into the top yards.

I have one now, and it's 56" long.

Looks good, but the tracks running along side the tunnel don't quite seem right. Maybe you could redirect them towards the creek/river by the bridges?

Done.......

Do you have anything major planned for the middle of the layout in terms of scenery? My only concern with what you have so far is that there's not much of a mainline run to speak of, which is common for switching layouts, but you don't have much yard space either. A plan with more tracks might look like a spaghetti bowl in 2D, but once you separate things with elevations and scenery it looks much better.

I plan on mostly wooded areas except for right around the tracks. I'll have some buildings, industries and roads along the route. It will be hilly except for above the tunnel area which will rise up as much as will look good for a mountain effect blending into the backdrop.

This first pic is track plan #2:

The second pic is how Scarm renders it in 3D. I still can't figure out how to control the terrain (Scarm does it automatically):

The third pic is a 3D look from near ground level to give you an idea of the different elevations each area has. There is a 2% grade when going from one area (yard) to another. The yards and leads are all level, by the way.

I'm debating as to whether or not I will have any grades at all by the way (for the track). The 3D view without changes in track elevation doesn't look too bad.

Your plan is looking progressively better!

One point of concern, however, is that you now have a turnout inside a tunnel.:eek: Turnouts are where the vast majority of derailments occur, so you should probably keep the back side of that 'hill' easy accessible - with enough space to fit at least one of your hands [with inches to spare] over the trains to lift them up and/or re-rail them.

Your new track is actually a reverse loop, not really a passing siding. I agree with Road Slug in that your turnout is in the tunnel. Your plan in some ways is very similar to the Atlantic Longhaul design by Atlas.

Your plan is looking progressively better!

One point of concern, however, is that you now have a turnout inside a tunnel.:eek: Turnouts are where the vast majority of derailments occur, so you should probably keep the back side of that 'hill' easy accessible - with enough space to fit at least one of your hands [with inches to spare] over the trains to lift them up and/or re-rail them.

Thanks, and yes, I need to think about that. Although the table will be easy to move if something goes badly in there, I still need easy access.

Your new track is actually a reverse loop, not really a passing siding. I agree with Road Slug in that your turnout is in the tunnel. Your plan in some ways is very similar to the Atlantic Longhaul design by Atlas.

The reverse loop was my intention, as suggested by scroggin. I'll have to check out that Atlas plan - Thanks.

It's not pretty, but you can make some geography changes with SCARM using figures. At the bottom of the tracklist menu there is "figures", and one of the tools inside is a polygon shape. You can use this to draw say a mountain, then in the properties set the height to how high you want it, change the colour to green and then tick the box that says something about snapping terrain. The shape you made will be a flat object floating in the air, but ticking that box pulls the surrounding terrain up to it to create a mountain. The result is basically what you see here- http://members.iinet.net.au/~trinityjayone/ModelRR/layoutmk1.jpg

You can use multiple concentric shapes with staggered heights to create a more realistic landform (as I started doing on the right), how far you're willing to take it is up to you.

Now that you have changed the direction of the top set of yards so that it leaves the main line in a clockwise direction like all the other sidings the reverse loop isnt critical. You can now travel the mainline in a anti-clockwise direction and back into every siding, so it functions without it, but its still an interesting feature to have.
What everyone has been saying about having a hidden siding is valid not only for derailments but also so you can glance at a turnout and see which way it is set. If it cant be seen you need to wire up an indicator to tell you how the turnout is set.

Back