My N Scale Track Plan

The problem with single ended yards is, you can't really "yard" trains in them, there is no way to get an engine off from the other end.

Actually, you can "yard" trains with a single ended design very easily. On the A/D track, you provide an escape crossover between two tracks. The tailend of the escape track only need to be a bit longer than the longest locomotive, or consist of locomotives. This detail shot shows what I have on my yard. I can bring in any train straight into the yard, have the engine(s) drop off the train, go into the escape track, back out and go to engine service. The switcher then grabs the train and starts breaking it down.

Questions;
1. How long are these yard tracks?
2. How long is that switching lead?
3. How long is that siding at the top? (None of those seem long enough.)
4. What is the size of this layout? I didn't see anything listed.

The problem with single ended yards is, you can't really "yard" trains in them, there is no way to get an engine off from the other end.
It might be better if you go back to single track (as much as I love double track) that would give you more room for longer sidings and yard tracks. ;)

Thanks for the replies......

Here is my latest version. As you can see I've already changed it to a single track main.

reach1.png

1) The shortest (at the bottom) is 15.25", the longest (in the middle) is 30".
2) (yellow) 33"
3) New A/D (green) is 52" and can also be used as a siding when running two trains in opposite directions
4)
Bench.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I think thats a excellent design for the size avaliable a smaller layout will always mean more compomises than a larger one. But that is a very good design.
The green track can be used as an arrival/ departure track,as well as a passing siding.

1. The switching lead starts at that turnout before the yard, not before those industries and/or engine house,
2. Move the x-over across from the lumber company over past the turnout for the engine house (adjoining that other turnout making this a "universal interlocking") so trains using that siding can enter & exit when the switching lead and/or engine house is in use,
3. Add a hidden storage (staging) siding under that mountain with turnouts outside of the portals for access,
4. Move the turnout over towards that road xing for a longer siding (also making up the loss at the other end.

Looks like it can also function as a runaround for the industrial area as well.

Exactly :)

1. The switching lead starts at that turnout before the yard, not before those industries and/or engine house

New Lead track (yellow): 34.8"
New A/D track (green): 41.84"
Longest yard track (cyan): 30"

2. Move the x-over across from the lumber company over past the turnout for the engine house (adjoining that other turnout making this a "universal interlocking") so trains using that siding can enter & exit when the switching lead and/or engine house is in use

Not sure exactly which turnout you meant, so I took a stab at it.

3. Add a hidden storage (staging) siding under that mountain with turnouts outside of the portals for access

The new tunnel entrances will be lined up on the actual layout. Scarm doesn't let you 'slide' them around.

4. Move the turnout over towards that road xing for a longer siding (also making up the loss at the other end.

I'll put the road back on the plan when the track work is done.....

Thanks!

Plan-02-24-13.png

you could change the entrance to the industrial sidings to this if it fits. But you do already have a very good plan

Im not sure if the extra turnouts would force you to make the industrial sidings too small or curves too tight

Im not sure if the extra turnouts would force you to make the industrial sidings too small or curves too tight

Nice idea - I see what you are trying to do, but I can't make it fit without going to a 10" radius on both sides of it.........

But, he doesn't have that was my point.

I saw that first off, but my point was is doesn't take up any room really as all it needs to be is the length of his longest loco. It really can go in the yard anywhere he wants to put it. I would suggest he puts it on the tracks between the main yard and the area that connects with the engine house (as I drew on the plan below). That way the loco(s) can get to the engine house easier. Since this is a one level layout, he could also extend all yard tracks to be closer to the curves and gain some room there, as I suggested by the longer lines representing track.

All these are is simply suggestions and its up to him to decide if any of these will fit into his plan for the layout. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. But anytime a loco, with a train, goes into a single ended yard loco first, there needs to be a way for that loco to get out without getting trapped by the train. A simple escape track will allow for this. Where it goes is really up to him.

I'll definitely stick an escape track in there somewhere.

My thinking before your suggestion was that the arrival/departure track (green) would allow a train to drop it's cars off on that track (from either direction) and my yard switcher could then go to work.

Having both gives me more options, and will leave the A/D track open more often.

Having both gives me more options, and will leave the A/D track open more often.

Yes it does, and that is the point. While there are many more double ended yards in the prototype, often times a modeler can't put one in due to room constraints. If you like operating, a single ended yard gives you more opportunities for this. The single ended yard makes you clear out the arrival track, and when the loco gets uncoupled from the train, now the engineer has to take his engine to the engine house to be serviced, refueled, or whatever you desire to be done with the loco.

Meanwhile the yard engine can grab the caboose off of the train and place it where it needs to go, and after this he can start breaking down the train. Now on my layout, I have a job called the Hostler. What he does is get the locos off of the train, takes them over to the roundhouse for servicing, maybe a spin on the turntable to place the engine in the direction it needs to go to leave, stops at the Coaling/Water/Sanding facilities to get refueled and parks it on the ready track, until its train is ready. He will then move the loco to the proper yard track, ie the departure track. He couples up the train, and turns it over to the road engineer.

Not sure exactly which turnout you meant, so I took a stab at it.
Good "stab".
I saw that first off, but my point was is doesn't take up any room really as all it needs to be is the length of his longest loco. It really can go in the yard anywhere he wants to put it. I would suggest he puts it on the tracks between the main yard and the area that connects with the engine house (as I drew on the plan below). That way the loco(s) can get to the engine house easier. Since this is a one level layout, he could also extend all yard tracks to be closer to the curves and gain some room there, as I suggested by the longer lines representing track.
The problem is, the available track length is extremely short. How many cars could that possible hold?? Also, the end of that track looses purpose even though cars could be stored there.

Athlon;
Ok, I just noticed a problem; you can't yard trains unless it pulls or backs into the yard lead from the lead. :eek:

Wrap that lead around to the bottom side, tyeing into into the main. Both problems solved.

Athlon;
Ok, I just noticed a problem; you can't yard trains unless it pulls or backs into the yard lead from the lead. :eek:

Wrap that lead around to the bottom side, tyeing into into the main. Both problems solved.

Bringing the yard lead (yellow) down and around will be difficult given the space. I may have to get rid of the staging track under the mountain to do that.

However - my plan is to have trains pull into the yard area using the arrival/departure track (green) from either direction, drop the train there and allow the yard switcher to start doing it's work. I can leave the switcher on the yard track or in the engine service facility when it has nothing to do.

I'm not clear on why giving the switcher access to the main somewhere down on the lower left area of the plan is an advantage. It will still have to push/pull cars the same way in the yard.

I'm a newbie at this, so I may need a more detailed explanation..... :eek:

Thank you for all of your insight!

Bringing the yard lead (yellow) down and around will be difficult given the space. I may have to get rid of the staging track under the mountain to do that.
Is it because of the slope of the mountain? If so, can that be modified to make that rise a 'cliff' to provide more table room?
I'm not clear on why giving the switcher access to the main somewhere down on the lower left area of the plan is an advantage.
It's not for access for the switcher, it's for trains to enter or depart the yard. It also serves as a siding if you wish.

Is it because of the slope of the mountain? If so, can that be modified to make that rise a 'cliff' to provide more table room?
It's not for access for the switcher, it's for trains to enter or depart the yard. It also serves as a siding if you wish.

But there is no where to connect that track at the other side of the tunnel without shortening the tunnel too much.....

Also - Can't trains entering and departing use the A/D track?

Believe me, I appreciate any and all advice, and I'm not trying to be negative - I just can't visualize what you are suggesting.......

But there is no where to connect that track at the other side of the tunnel without shortening the tunnel too much
Curved turnout. Actually, replace that straight turnout on the yard lead with a curved to lengthen the yard tracks. Also use a curved turnout for both ends of that staging track.
Can't trains entering and departing use the A/D track?
Yes, but they have to back in.

Back