My Big Shed layout

I don't understand the value of having two separate helices going between the same two decks. Having a single helix with double track and a return loop at the other end of each deck would seem to provide more running/surface in the same space. A helix just takes up so much real estate.

+1 ^^
Add the time and expense of building it.
Surely not prototypical and AFAIC, unsightly, unless it is hidden. I just don't see two level layouts, especially when they are separate by feet, not inches.

Taking another look at your design, those two spirals block the view and 'box' in the rest of the layout. I would 'loose' one of those and widen the shelve in it's place. At least it would open up one side of the area. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW, I don't like painting either, but why go through all the trouble of building a layout with unfinished plywood as a backdrop?? :confused:
Haste makes waste.
The 'real estate' one of those takes up is basically wasted that could be put to better use especially given the limited space this appears to have.

(I'm further along with this then the last pic shows :eek: )

Choices

Choice as is advice free to take, My choice of layout design may not suit all and my to the greatest critic of my work -Me- I like what I am doing.

Yes I am doing things Non Prototypical but isnt what this hobby is about doing things which create something which you enjoy. If everyone was Prototypical there would only be one design.

I have read and do understand your comments but I am me

Enjoy

cmaceeepc
Craig

Choice as is advice free to take, My choice of layout design may not suit all and my to the greatest critic of my work -Me- I like what I am doing.

Yes I am doing things Non Prototypical but isnt what this hobby is about doing things which create something which you enjoy. If everyone was Prototypical there would only be one design.

I have read and do understand your comments but I am me

Enjoy

cmaceeepc
Craig
On this open forum I accept there will be diverse opinions.....yet at the end of the day.....you must live with your own creation so you owe it to yourself to make it what you want. :) And I like how it's looking.

Mike

I wanted to try to stuff one or 2 on my layout, but in the end, I ended up with 2-3% grades and lots of nice elevated turns to watch my trains climb up and down, for myself thats what I really wanted in the end.. If I had added a Helix, it would have opened up many other possibilities with my RR, but like I said for now I dont have them... But it's still a possibility in the future. I like what you have so far, thats going to be one nice looking RR!!

Friday Update

Weather has turn very cold in Melbourne so not much done this week - Its supposed to warm up this weekend so I expect to lay track on helix 2

Helix's are great except when you have to paint them.

Thanks for the positive comments

Update further after the weekend

cmaceeepc
Craig

I hate to be the one showing up at the party late, without a gift, but if there was a way to have the helix in only one location, you'd have more real estate for scenery...

When I first thought to use a helix I did toy with a 2 track helix, a twin helix (one inside the other and in reverse grade) but I could not get my design to fit with these ideas. So I come up with this layout.
The helix's are in someway to challenge my construction skills and an answer to my need to have the shelf section at that height, I am 6' 2" and have a bad back so the least amount of bending (the main bench is 1m and the shelf 400 higher).
To fit risers to suit that height would have taken more real estate than using helix's and would have increased the landscaping (my weakest skill)
The amount of Track used in 1 helix is approx 25 sections of flex track, how many people have the space to lay a riser that long? My previous large layout was done by cooky cutter method and had many risers so I am not adverse to using risers, I have used what i belive is the most efficient use of the space I have.
One thing shpuld also be kept in mind is that in the US a lot of layouts are setup in basements/cellars and loft areas (allowing long expansive layouts), In Australia it is not usual to have a basement or loft, So most are setup in a spare room or as I have in my garage (My Big Shed)

Again thanks for everyones comments

Off now to the shed

cmaceeepc
Craig

So....are you going to paint the walls? I dislike painting as well...but it is all part of it. I don't think many folks lime ballasting track...but we all do it.
Two helix seems like an interesting twist on the normal single helix.
I enjoy watching you progress... have fun in the shed.

Update

This weekend again proved to be very productive
- Installed framing for ceiling and installed plywood on top to allow storage for she who is obeyed.
- Installed a power outlet (I am an Electrician by trade)
- Installed an Heavy duty draw to store my rolling stock and engines
- Painted and painted and painted and then panted (I still dont like painting)
- Installed under shelf lighting - 12v DC - runs off a standard power supply I had lying around
- Installed half of the track on helix 2
- Stripped down and dismantled my original layout - suprising when you do that you find a lot of the shortcuts you sometimes take
- And still managed to stay on the goodside of the wife - she said she understands what I am doing????

Anyway here are some pics of this weekends progress
bigshed14-10-2012001.jpg

bigshed14-10-2012002.jpg

bigshed14-10-2012003.jpg

And Vale - number 1
08052011001.jpg

I will see what I can get up to during the week

Be good'

cmaceeepc
Craig

How is it putting track on a helix already built? Is it difficult? If you could do it over would you add the track as you build up or would you build it the way it is now? No pun intended just wondering!

Again, you are making great progress, keep the pictures coming.

You have a interesting layout and i will be following this along your journey.

joed2323

When I started to put the helix together, how I was going to lay the track was high on the agenda.
The rings were joined buscuit joints and clearing enough space to lay the track was out of the question, plus as the rings were so big they become unweildy so I decided to lay after it was put together - all the while ensuring ihad enough room to fit my hands to solder

cmaceeepc

Update

This weekend I was able to finish the loop of track to allow complete running of the Big Shed layout.
The top deck track is temporary until I finalise the upperdeck layout and get some more track - already over 100 hundred lenghts of flex track!!!

Was able to take some bad video of the 1st running - I am not a very good videograher - goes for about 6 mins
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPgPbfksnlo&feature=vmdshb
lets see what next week brings

Be good

cmaceeepc
Craig

Hi,

Watched the video. Couple of questions.

1. It's a bit hard to be sure but it doesn't look like you have any sort of vertical easement when transitioning to/from the helix. Do you?

2. How are you going to get roadbed under all that track? Take it all apart?

Thanks!

fcwilt

You have observed 2 things I am working on

The transitions will be completed hopefully this weekend

As I have never needed roadbed before and never had this type of design before, I did not think about using either cork or foam road bed(although the wife mentioned it about 2 weeks ago)(I should listen to her!!!)

Question to all -
Which has the better sound deadening properties - cork or foam - used on 7mm ply(currently very drummy - listen to youtube clip in previous post)

I await everyones comments

Be good

cmaceeepc
Craig

I have used both cork and foam. While I don't have any long term experience with foam I have read that it does not dry out like cork does. I have had cork dry out.

So right now I am favoring foam.

When I start laying track on my new bench work later this week.......going to experiment using thinner corrugated cardboard as track bed. With N scale I want the roadbed to stay low profile. If the noise is not bad it would save some expense and be easy the cut out for curve sections. Anyone ever tried using cardboard from boxes?

Mike

Back