MRC Universal 16Bit sound/decoder ( EMD 567 )

ctclibby

Good Morning Gals and Guys!

Was sifting through my crap to classify it and found multiples; 8 NiB. I have decided NOT to upgrade power that already has a decoder but no sound. If they happen to have sound when bought, so be it. I have multiple engines that are DC only so it looks like a ton of wire cut and paste to get them installed; I have no problem with that. Are these worth my time? Does anybody else use MRC stuff?

IMGP0627.JPG

Later

Good Morning Gals and Guys!

Was sifting through my crap to classify it and found multiples; 8 NiB. I have decided NOT to upgrade power that already has a decoder but no sound. If they happen to have sound when bought, so be it. I have multiple engines that are DC only so it looks like a ton of wire cut and paste to get them installed; I have no problem with that. Are these worth my time? Does anybody else use MRC stuff?

View attachment 163458

Later
Sorry, currently using DigiTrax.

I tried once about 10 years ago. A couple trips back to MRC and still couldn’t get lighting functions to work.
Their DC power packs work very well, though. I would pass on any of their DCC products.

So as you can see, MRC sound decoders don't have a great reputation. I have one in a locomotive, An older Athearn Genesis MP15. It works, the sound is OK, but not the best, like you I didn't want to bother upgrading something that was serviceable as is. Since you've spent the money, why not give it a try? Looks like an 8 pin plug, so the only wires you'll actually have to solder (assuming your loco has an 8 pin socket) are the green wire for a lighting function, and the two speaker wires. Not sure what the socket is for but the wires are red and black which tells me track pickup. You can remove that socket if necessary, but check the instructions.

MRC is made by XLSystems, in New Jersey.
I have four sound decoders in steam locomotives, HO. Love them.

I cannot get Digitrax sound to work at a volume I can live with in steamers (only have one diesel with sound).

Thanks for all your replies and suggestions. Ima gonna give one a try to see what I can see ( and hear ). Looking at the things, it sure seems that the wires from the plug to the decoder are too small. They claim 1.5A but geesh. 30Ga ( wire wrap wire ) that I am accustom to would have issues pushing an Amp continuous. Then there is a big FET or Power Trans in a TO220 package that is shrink wrapped - I probably will find some mica for a insulator and attach that to one of the metal parts to help heat dissipation. More to play with - life is fun!

Later

Back