modern model railroads

I model the 2000-2001 era, but a shortline, so no new locomotives here - GP38s, GP40s, MP15DC's and an Alco C425 on lease from a museum. Most GE power from the era those were built in are razor blades (or in Brazil) now.

i was and still am, but i just thought maybe i would try to paint maybe one SD70MAC in rio grande colors, and if i like it hey who knows

so can ya teach me to paint?

thanks
Austin

i was and still am, but i just thought maybe i would try to paint maybe one SD70MAC in rio grande colors, and if i like it hey who knows

so can ya teach me to paint?

thanks
Austin

Austin,
If you want to see what a modern day Rio Grande looks like...........look no further.
IMG_6946.jpg

IMG_6935.jpg

I'm building a Conrail layout set in western pennsylvania in the 1990s myself. Sorry no pics though I should take some. I guess doing that is somewhere on the to do list along with a zillion other things.

Smoke- thanks for the pics, but im not sure if i wanna leave the BNSF

Zephyr- thanks for the pics as well, and if i joined the club of modern fallen flags would i get a website and become one of your guys "partners"?

GAPPLEG- i do agree with you that GE does make more beautiful locomotives then EMD, but i still like EMD locomotives.

thanks guys
Austin

I model the Erie Lack as if it were still runnin today...does that count..lol

However, my EL wide body AC unit does look a little wierd, and the UBU and BLE union is getting upset with my engineers.....

yes MTRPLS those are really beautiful units , (even if they are EMD's) , very professional looking results . You do great work.

(Looking for flame retardant Nomex suit)...Those units look great in terms of the work and modeling talent that went into them. But, GE or EMD, they still look like machine shops on trucks. :) I know, I'm an old geezer, but there's no concern for design or aesthetics any more, it's just pile everything on the frame and bend some sheet metal to fit around it. Even the early Geeps, which EMD supposedly designed to look ugly so they wouldn't cut into the F unit market, had some style and clean lines. Today's locomotives have more boxes and recesses than a small factory. I guess that's why the newest models I own are a GP-50 and U36-C. I still like my four unit F3 lashup at the head of freight better than any modern locomotive. Oh, well, just ramblings of an old railfan. I now return you to your previously scheduled thread. :(

GAPPLEG- since you work at GE and all, i have a question, i like to run my railroad like it is a real railroad, and that i the better the power the locomotive has in the real world, the better power it has on my layout, i want to start adding more to my fleet of dash 9's, but what to go with? ES44DC, AC4400, AC6000, C44-9W, GE GEVO? help please

thanks
Austin

I'll tell you , most that goes out the back door these days are AC4400's , and most of the big roads are ordering just the EVO's. Lots of UP and BNSF roll out of here daily. Again mostly EVO's.

ok thanks, i saw a show on the discovery channel they went in the GE factory and they showed the veiwers how long it takes to get through the process of building one locomotive, and they showed each step on building it, and then they took it to the test track, very, very cool. What part of the train do you build?

thanks
Austin

Back