modern model railroads

Hry, i model BNSF and i have a model railroad, i was wondering does anyone else have a modern model railroad? Like BNSF, UP, CSX, NS, or any other modern road? if not modern, like 1990's, just put it this way any railroad that has an era that is 1990 or higher. Please post pics

Thanks
Austin

Have checked out the pictures section of this forum? There area a lot of pictures there of modern era layouts. Do a search here on "Fun" and you'll find a bunch of weekend photo fun topics with many pictures to keep you busy for a while.

Modern, though fantasy.

Ft. Worth Division of the modern day Rock Island. rockrail.com for info or search "Zephyr".

WOW thanks for replies guys, its nice to see some more modern day modelers, not very many people model modern day now a days. Anyone gonna post some pics?

thanks
Austin

Modern, it's a fantasy, but geographically, based on the now ICE (previously I&M Railink). Shortline RR, but lots of run-through stuff which allows BNSF, UP, CSX and NS stuff to be included.

Same layout is generic enough to backdate back to the transition era in some other part of the country so I can model the Hill Lines....

Kennedy

This is all I have now. Two more SD60 shells are in paint. All three chassis' need paint on the trucks and decoders installed. One ACF three bay covered hopper is in paint.

MACJET- those are some nice locomotives you got there. But im not a very big fan of the SD60M, although i have 2 on my roster, my favorite locomotive would have to be either the SD70MAC (painted in BNSF Heritage II paint) or the AC4400-CW (painted in BNSF swoosh scheme).

GAPPLEG- i would have to agree with you, i like the SP paint schemes, they just look so good on every engine that SP owned. If i had to choose it would be UP though, because i like modern day. I have an SP SD70MAC and an SP C44-9W And 2 UP SD70M's and 3 UP C44-9W's, but just to show you that i model BNSF, compared to the SP and UP engines i have i have 21BNSF SD70MACS, 3 BNSF SD70AC'es 11 BNSF C44-9W's and 5 BNSF AC4400's

thanks
Austin

I think Zephyr has some AC4400's in the Rock Island paint scheme. I was actually looking for SD40-2's on ebay when I found this SD60M and two SD60's. Less then $150 for all three.:D

That's a small fortune in locos you got there. I'll struggle to buy decoders for all ten of mine in the next year.

I'm current on my roster SP AC6000's c-44-9's ac4400's , I model the SP as if they never went away, they will live forever in my little empire.

You betcha , I'm really interested in doing two real soon , a GE EVO in Black Widow , and I'd like to try the Heritage scheme that UP came up with , just for some thing different.

o so u paint modern locomotives in SP schemes, so your like smoke, but with SP?

At least a few people on this forum model a modern-day fallen flag railroad, including myself (New York Central) and Zephyr (Rock Island). There's also macjet, Zephyr's Rock Island partner.

There are several reasons I prefer to do this, chief among them being that I find today's railroads like BNSF to be boring, soul-less, and lacking personality. I tend to think of BNSF as "Wal-Mart on rails", a mega-corporation with no character whatsoever. Every time I see that swoosh logo it makes me want to fall asleep; honestly, they are no inspiration to me at all. Modeling a modern NYC allows me to be as creative as I want, and I can't begin to tell you how rewarding it has been.

Last edited by a moderator:
I kinda feel the same way about my SP , badly run, badly maintained in other words personality. To BNSFmodeler , you aren't familiar with me , I work at GE, where we build the best locomotives in the world. For the most part I won't even allow an EMD loco on my layout. There are exceptions to every rule however , 1st generations are allowed because the have " personality" also. I love Alco's too , Working on a few of them as well. Don't take me over seriously , but I am a loyal GE fan.

ok thanks smoke, i might wanna try that, like start repainting all of my BNSF locomotives, but the only problem is i dont know how to paint them, u think u could give me a few tips? and i dont know what railroad to choose. I was thinking doing a modern day D&RGW that would look cool, D&RGW AC4400, AC6000, SD70MAC, SD70M. But please help me with the painting parts.

thanks
Austin

Back