Mehano Steam locomotive locks up

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

Hi there i have a Mehano Union Pacific 2-6-0 steam locomotive after a while it will just lock up. And all I have to do is move it back and forth a few times and it frees up wondering if anyone else has these type of issues with there Mehano Thanks in advance for the answers.

Last edited:

beiland

I'm not sure about their other locos, but this is what I found about their 'mountain type'

IHC/ Mehano 4-8-2 C&O Mountain

Tue, 2018-01-30 14:02 — railandsail

The very first steam loco I bought was a 4-8-2 from IHC that was built by Mehano in Slovania. It was the C&O version with the flying pumps on the front of the boiler. I still have 3 of them and they all run (ran) great. The Vandy tenders that came with them from stock were a little 'malformed' with their squared off bottoms at the forward edges. This was a result of the original tooling having to accommodate a motor in the the front section of the tender that drove the whole loco, rather than the motor in the boiler region.
I had mine weathered up and use to run them doubled headed. I still plan on doing this on my new layout, but will have to convert them to DCC and sound.
16%29%20dbl-head%20Mountains%20approch%20single%20track%20bridge.jpg

Here is a video of someone who has provided a modified vandy tender and some other detailing

I liked this C&O type engine so much I now have host of Backmann versions of this loco, with the much improved version of the vandy tender

Surprise, my older IHC 2-8-2 Mountain made it thru just fine. I think that is likely a result of its semi cookie cutter wheels on both the loco and the tender.
DSCF3766%2C%20ps600.jpg

DSCF3771%2C%20ps600.jpg

This IHC model came with 2 alternate tenders, the vandy and a rectangular. Both had those same wheels that had problems with those defective Peco X's I addressed earlier, but they sailed right thru this latest configuration with no problems.

Last edited:

Iron Horseman

Hi there i have a Mehano Union Pacific 2-6-0 steam locomotive after a while it will just lock up. And all I have to do is move it back and forth a few times and it frees up wondering if anyone else has these type of issues with there Mehano Thanks in advance for the answers.
Can you be more precise on what "a while" is? Moving it back and forth by hand up and down the rails, or rocking it side side?

Just generically for a steam locomotive, I would first look for something loose in the valve gear, especially the eccentric connection. Second I would look for a quartering issue because of a loose (spinning on the axle) wheel.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.