Lgb Mts?

modelbob

Administrator
I've been playing around with an LGB layout under the Christmas tree.

While searching the net, I've found some references to an LGB Multi Train System, or MTS. Now my layout is way too small for that sort of thing, unless you want to see one train chasing the other in circles like a dog chasing it's tail, but I'm curious as to what this is, and how it differs from DCC, or is it simply the LGB brand of DCC? Apparently it can control sounds on trains so equipped?

Is it compatible with anything other than LGB? Also, what are the prices like? (I'm learning that "the big train" also comes with "the big price", thank goodness for Bachmann...)

Hi Bob, from what I can find out on the net, I don't know for sure but it looks like a real advanced DCC system. The options seem limitless so I wonder how this would work on Lady Railfan's Loco. Seems that it can be radio controlled and remote controlled whatever that means. Some how I don't think it means being across town, dialing your home phone and running your train :confused:

Cheers Willis

PS and when are you ordering the track for your outdoors layout :D

Seems that it can be radio controlled and remote controlled whatever that means. Some how I don't think it means being across town, dialing your home phone and running your train :confused:

Cheers Willis

PS and when are you ordering the track for your outdoors layout :D

I think the remote control simply means that you can ring the bell and blow the whistle etc from the controller. The same sort of thing you can do with a typical HO DCC system is what I'm guessing. Of course the radio control option is quite nice.

As for an outdoor layout, I'm sorry to say it's not an option, for the reasons i mentioned to LR earlier.

I live in town on a small lot, with lots of kids around. Most of them are fine, but like just about any neighborhood, we have the occasional theft. Having a layout outdoors would be too much of a target I fear. Even if I spent the $$$ on a fence, it might not help. My neighbor had his son's mini bike stolen out of the shed a few years ago.

Also, the track and switches are pretty expensive, and the amount I'd need for a decent size outdoor layout would exceed my hobby budget.

Finally, if I want to do some outdoor live steam railroading in the summer, all I need to do is make a phone call to the crew caller and say "mark me up!" I can then go to work on the P scale (12" = 1') live steam railroad. Lots of fun, and less expensive too! ;)

Not ignoring your question, Bob, just don't know the answers. I had my loco fitted with battery power and Airwire 900 w/wireless throttle, and all I know is that if the battery is charged and I turn the knob, the train goes. I don't even have bells and whistles!

I live in town on a small lot, with lots of kids around. Most of them are fine, but like just about any neighborhood, we have the occasional theft.

Yeah, I returned to school today to find three books missing out of my locker. Honestly, if someone wants to learn calculus that badly...

Lol, let them do your homework for you too?

That'd be nice, but I got a loaner book already :rolleyes: I really don't mind math, since I'm planning to study engineering next year.

I'll probably end up having to pay for both books though. There goes a good chunk of modeling budget...:mad:

LGB MTS ...a short primer

I've been playing around with an LGB layout under the Christmas tree.

While searching the net, I've found some references to an LGB Multi Train System, or MTS. Now my layout is way too small for that sort of thing, unless you want to see one train chasing the other in circles like a dog chasing it's tail, but I'm curious as to what this is, and how it differs from DCC, or is it simply the LGB brand of DCC? Apparently it can control sounds on trains so equipped?

Is it compatible with anything other than LGB? Also, what are the prices like? (I'm learning that "the big train" also comes with "the big price", thank goodness for Bachmann...)

The LGB MTS system is yes, LGB's version of a DCC system. It has its limitations, unlike Digitrax or NCE. But , it does perform all the functions found on the LGB MTS-equipped locos like sound activations. If you get the TYPE 3 system, its the one thats mostly compatible with NMRA decoders so it will work with 3rd party engines.

If you are sticking with LGB brand MTS locos, it will do the job quite well. The only component of the system I am not happy with is the Wireless system. This wireless was apparently made for a large indoor layout, its like a WiFi type technology, and therefore can hit lots of interference in the average American backyard. I dont recommend the wireless control for outdoors. Some people have had no trouble with it, but from my brother's house it wouldn't work 15 feet away.

Radio control is the name for the wireless, while REMOTE CONTROL means that the throttle has a WIRED connection.

Using MTS wired (remote control) performs quite well. There now is TYPE 1 , TYPE 2 and TYPE 3 MTS systems out there. I recommend if you have the cash, TYPE 3. If you are on a budget, TYPE 2 will do and later you can upgrade little by little. Don't get TYPE 1.

NOTE: LGB MTS is more expensive than Digitrax or NCE components, and has less features per buck. You still get switch machine decoders, and all sorts of computer-aided running. You can even program the trains from your PC.

But the LGB system was meant for "plug and play" with LGB's top of the line MTS equipped Sound locomotives, and for those locos it performs great.
The sound-locos may seem expensive as well. A MTS sound loco runs about $800 or higher.

However, if you compare a new Lionel Steam engine with Digital sound, and an LGB Mikado with Digital Sound and MTS, it turns out that LGB is a better bargain. Top grade Lionel steam run $1000 or more--and they are half the size and not made weatherproof!

My recommendations: Expand your LGB layout more BEFORE you invest in any DCC system. Go ahead and spend the money on turnout tracks, get a 51750 box to switch them with, etc. This will do two things: First, if you are like me, you will have a "living room floor" railroad empire that will make you feel like a kid again, AND ... it will prove worthy of investing more money into or not depending on how much you enjoy it over a period of months.

After the duration, if you are still hooked on the big trains, then you can start work on a more permanent setup (on plywood,etc.) and have that for a duration to test your hobby interests--buy what you like and test it on the layout to see if it performs to your standards. You shouldn't go from a small Christmas layout to a garden railroad ! Play with the trains indoors enough to see if you keep coming back to it. Then research the DCC systems (I recommend NCE or Digitrax with an 8 amp booster if you go non-LGB).

Note: Lots of engines in G Scale WILL NOT handle a 4 foot diameter curve/oval/loop of track or 1200 turnouts. All LGB engines big or small, can handle the 4 footers. Other companies have chosen to make big engines that need really big curves.

Thats why, many people feel that they have NO CHOICE in g scale to go outdoors, because the engines they want need 10 foot diameter curves or greater. The longer cars from 3rd parties need the wide curves too.

If you have a small indoor layout, your best bet is to stick with small locos and rolling stock for non-LGB purchases.

Regards,

Tom M.
MetzgerTrains@aol.com

Back