Layout Scene Rework (Town/Steel Mill)

Rex - I modified the earlier GIFs I made of the track plan and re-uploaded them; changed 'BOF' label to 'Open Hearth', and shortened the strings of ore/coal hoppers so they could all fit over the unloading grates [on paper at least]. They're in the same place on my earlier post, but you may have to click the 'refresh' button to see the newer versions...

NZKen - glad to hear you found it useful Ken!

Jos - excellent pics of the Dutch steel mills, that hot-metal car could use a bit more weathering though <LOL> ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
KenL, did those cars come with the Xcad software or did you have to make them? The drawing really looks good. How about emailing me an .xtc file so I can print a Master. Purty P-r-e-e-z-e!:D

Jos: I enjoy looking at all steel pictures, so please continue with posting them. The more info we have on here the better.;) :)

Josh: I will just let the bottle cars sit for the effects. Perhaps later on and after I make more headway on the rest of the layout, I may go back to making the Mill more functional. Hopefully, I will have another 15 years before I get to old and beatup for the finer touches.:D

Sure, but you need to wait a spell...

KenL, did those cars come with the Xcad software or did you have to make them? The drawing really looks good. How about emailing me an .xtc file so I can print a Master. Purty P-r-e-e-z-e!:D

Rex, I did the rail car outlines with my image editor after scraping the xtc display. But I can probably do them in xtrkcad, like I did with the steel mill structures. I'll try doing that after work tonight, and send you a template.

Ah heck, Ken, don't go to all that trouble. I thought maybe you did something or found something in XtrkCad.
I do appreciate the thought though.

Slabs and virus ATTENTION

Now I know what slabs are...!!!: Can see them on the first pic.
I am following your thread from the beginning. It is dangerous:eek: , it is like the mrrvirus... Yesterday I was already thinking: may be.... if I change..... some modules on our Nmodules club- layout. and if we could....and if...
I'll post some pictures fast and I'll be gone like the speed of the.....
Watch the second picture: Here they make rolled steel and if they did not cut it into pieces the roll would be 70 km( !!!!)= 50 miles long in one "time" ( or how do you say that in english)
KenL: Is the hot- metal car "weathered" enough this time...:)
btw: the last picture you can see a very very small stop at the erea of "Hoogovens"
Jos

KenL: I received the templates and I got them in the drawings just fine. Thanks Ken for the extra effort. I believe the templates will help me have a better look at what I can do with the layout.

Jos: Love the photos. A few years back, I visited the "mini-mill" here in Tuscaloosa and was very impressed with the size of everything. They receive their slabs by barges on the river and have an end product of steel sheets and coils. Since then, they have expanded many times. I'm not sure what there doing now, but they have piles of scrap steel where they use to not use it. Maybe they have an electric furnace. I've got to look up old contacts out there and find out more. HELP KEN!

... A few years back, I visited the "mini-mill" here in Tuscaloosa and was very impressed with the size of everything. They receive their slabs by barges on the river and have an end product of steel sheets and coils. Since then, they have expanded many times. I'm not sure what there doing now, but they have piles of scrap steel where they use to not use it. Maybe they have an electric furnace. I've got to look up old contacts out there and find out more. HELP KEN!

Rex, do you have google-earth? If so, copy and paste these coord's into the "Fly-To" search textbox:

33°14'3.90"N 87°30'31.06"W

I believe that's the minimill your talking about...?

Jos, great pix keep them coming! My layout could use a few locos like that one pulling the bottle car. That hoogovens platform looks like some of our Amtrak stations :D That cluster of water towers makes an interesting optical illusion - I first thought that was some exotic european-style pavilion, until I noticed the long shed at their base!

Yeah Ken, that's it. As you look at the mill, there is an area of shiny looking stuff in the lower left of the photo. That is the scrape steel piles Or maybe that is just culls. Another thought is Scale. I remember a buddy telling me that when they had bought steel slabs from Poland, they had a terrible time with the quality and all the scale they would get when heating.

That land used to be the Gulf States Paper Mill. As you go up the photo (river) and at the bridge was the Central Foundry. Up and beyond that and with the yukky black ground was Empire Coke that just closed up a few years ago. They hauled off 1000's of tons of contaminated waste from the Central Foundry site when they put in the new bridge.

Hi Rex. From what I just saw,your Steel Mill,is going to look even more cool than it already does. If you are interested,I have a L&N Proto S-1,that if you want it,would make a great mill switcher addition to the one you already have. Aside from the Steel mill project,how are you doing sir? Myself,I am okay. Rex,no joke,it looks like this project when finished,will be AWESOME.I hope I can come and see it sometime,when it's a little further along.Anywho,the photos are great,and like I said,can't wait to see what's next. The suspense is too much. Take care sir.William.

Thank you William for the kind words. I do hope the mill will look and function well. Sorry, I am not in the market for any locos right now. I'm trying to contain my spending to only what I have to have.

Here is a shot of the little people at work clearing the site for the new rails. I needed the "Birmingham Wrecking Crew" MR club, but if they are anything like Carey, it would bankrupt me just paying for coffee breaks. Tomorrow, I will post photos of what the big people have done.

Dcp_1735.jpg

:cool: :D :cool:

Wow Rex, great thread! Love the progress, the scenes come and go and changes are inevitable on your beautiful pike....

Johnny

Hi everyone! I finally got the construction mess cleared up enough to shoot a few photos of the progress. Johnny, very glad you stopped by and hope to see more of you. Sit down and have yourself a cup of coffee with a jelly filled donut while I try to find myself. If you run across me, please tell me to come home.:D

In the first photo, a Walthers curved turnout was installed in allow the mainline from the tunnel to join directly into the already installed reversing loop. This eliminated having an outer main and allowed a section of it to become the lead to the mill.

Dcp_1738.jpg

I installed this crossover for the coal haul from the tunnel to cross over to the lead into the mill. The Class A will come into the lead and back its hoppers to a receiving track at the mill. It will then come out and make a reversing loop back to the crossover. The mill switcher now has empties waiting w/caboose set in the right direction for a return to the mine.

Dcp_1739.jpg

This is a view of the throat leading into the mill. All the turnouts in view are #5 Walthers Shinohara. The upper far left siding will be an unloading station for fuel oil. Notice that in all the photos, I am not using any kind of roadbed. Instead the track is nailed directly to the plywood. The reason is to allow the tracks to be almost ground level and to be even with the buildings. The transition from roadbed to plywood was accomplished by using cedar shims bought at Lowes. With a little sanding, they are ideal and long enough to make the smooth reduction in height.

Dcp_1740.jpg

Photo showing all the sidings. The buildings in the front are borrowed from other scenes and will be replaced by some I will build custom designed for their use (office, parts/supply/maintenance shops, blower/boiler house).

Dcp_1742.jpg

An overall view of the mill and approximately how it will look. As you can see, I have a lot work to do in the detailing department and I still have to hook up the lights and track power drop downs.

Dcp_1737.jpg

...to be con't.

Thanks Josh!:) I have to admit my reluctance to take on such a task when I had so many other areas that needed attention. But now, I am very glad I started on it and I am enjoying it very much. The more I do, the better I can see how it will improve the operations of the layout and enhance the overall looks.

Looks really good Rex, you know that scene would take up my whole new room!! Man I'm jealous of your space. Keep up the awesome work.

Ken.

Ken M got to say the same, that would FILL my garage, very nice work Rex it's looking very sharp sir

Rex,

Looks great:cool:, that industrial backdrop really sets it off beautifully! I'll have to do the same with mine if I ever find the time...

Rex,
I like! It's coming along nicely. Can't wait to see it with all the scenery in place.
It sure adds to your operations.

I like the way you tapered the track down. Most of the trackage that I have seen in industrial areas is at ground level. Good luck. Dave

Rex, that is looking awesome. Man I've enjoyed following along with this thread. Keep up the awesome work.

Thanks everyone for your comments and visit.;) I am now installing all the ground throws and replacing ties that were cut for the track installation. I have the bus wires ran for the drop feeds and the 12v bus for the lights. Should be able to start with the ground cover very soon (nice and dirty stuff:D ) Just received another stationary decoder for my crossover and curved turnout. I use Lenz LS150 for my layout. They control six turnouts and only cost $37 compared to the Digitrax PM42 controlling only four at double the money. Of course, the LS150 doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but are ideal for just turnout control. This will be my 5th LS150. As an added note: I only use Tortoise on my mainline and a few hard to reach spots, and groundthrows in the yards and sidings.

Back