Layout Design Project - Garage Layout Stage 1

How about designing for a more common space like a small spare bedroom. I see this done allot in MR mag., let's see what we can come up with. Should it be single or multi level. Where is a common place for the closet door to be, any windows to contest with, etc...
Let's say the space is 10x12. I'm not sure if this is so common a "small bedroom" that are in these McMansions that are out there, but it's the size of the bedroom I was in as a kid growing up.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about designing for a more common space like a small spare bedroom.

I find that a good idea too Ron! It is more common... And indeed beware of the sticky things like windows,( once in a while you have to clean them..) heating, doors(turning in/outside, closet(s) may be a pathway to another room etc...

What about Jeff's space? He posted a message (then quickly deleted it) about a garage layout in roughly the same space.

Jeff, you still interested in giving that one a go? If so, can you sketch up the dimensions you have to work with and a list of "givens and druthers". If so, we'll start a new topic and see what folks come up with.

Okay, just spotted this (it's been a busy week so far...). I'll announce right up front that I've already got my layout plotted out, with only a few tweaks left for when I actually lay track in those areas.

So this one is strictly for fun - it's also more space limited than Coyote's.

I'll post more later, but start thinking about a 13x23 foot single car garage, oriented east-west, where the southeast corner is off limits 8 feet north and 13 feet west of the corner out to 5 feet from the wall. There's doors and other stuff there. There will be a bit of refinement on that later.

This is my givens and druthers - I'm interested in seeing what others would do given the space:
Modern era shortline with GP/SD9 through GP40 power. Single track main. Centerbeams, covered hoppers, woodchips and TBOX/FBOX style hi-cubes are the order of the day. My layout is a rough approximation of the Oregon Electric line of the Portland & Western (fmly Willamette & Pacific) between Albany and some part north. Willamette Valley flatlands. I'm going for continous running courtesy of the Santiam River Bridge swingout to a double ended yard. I've also got an interchange with the SP (UP, who are they?) that requires it's own staging.

Back