Jerome's Switcher Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Resurrected the 3 unfinished SW slugs/bugs. Starting from the ground up with these. Not sure how many of either that I'm making out of them right now. Still gathering lots of parts to make the bodies.

100_1687.jpg

Ok, the SW1500 will be shelved for now. I wanted it to be a modern NS engine but I'm going to need to figure out which one it will be. With NS retiring them left and right it's a very tough decision (since I model the present day)

Now my new focus is to get an MP15DC :D

How are you Jerome?

What detail part do you use for the exhaust stacks without spark arrestors? More specifically, similar to ones on the Alton and Southern locomotive.

Thanks
Matt

Matt, doing good here. You mean this one???

100_1476.jpg

Those exhaust stacks are part of the original Athearn shell. I didn't do anything to them except paint them.

Thats the one, thought they were aftermarket. Do you ever use a detail part that looks like that? Im building a mobile generator out of a 20ft container or 25ft trailer (havent decided yet) and am looking for an exhaust vent.

Thanks
Matt

Matt, are you going to do just an exhaust pipe or a muffler too?

I was going to do just an exhaust, either two pipes close together through the top, or a hole through the side. Now that you mention it, some kind of muffle on the roof would be sharp looking though.

Matt,

Give me 20 minutes..............................................OK here ya go.

2 different sizes of round styrene stock. 1 is hollow.

100_1688.jpg

Take the smaller one and heat it up just enough so you can put a 90 degree bend in it.
(make 2 of these).

100_1689.jpg

Cut a 1" or so piece of the larger styrene. Sand around the edges to make it rounded. Glue the 2 bent pieces into it in opposite directions. Paint it black or silver, you now have a muffler.

100_1690-1.jpg

Drill a hole in your container and slide it in. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Got this one from Rico. Did a little touch up on the paint, added a few extra details to it, now she's ready for the deadline.

100_1693.jpg

Finished up this Atlas MP15 today. Added the correct sunshades and added the exhaust silencer to it. Light weathering, and she's ready to go.......................

100_1696.jpg

Steve, they were just sitting there for that picture. But for the final installation, they were glued in using clear drying Canopy Glue.

ok. I sent mark an email about those round ones. I could nto find them on ebay, but those small rectangular ones are plentifull. I want to be able to try and do the install's on my own stuff to save money.

Where did you get the magnet wire?

ok. I sent mark an email about those round ones. I could nto find them on ebay, but those small rectangular ones are plentifull. I want to be able to try and do the install's on my own stuff to save money.

Where did you get the magnet wire?

The rectangular ones will work if they are behind a lens/bezel. Atlas and Kato both use them.

The rectangular ones will work if they are behind a lens/bezel. Atlas and Kato both use them.

is there any light output difference from the rectangular ones vs. the pointled ones?

Jerome, thanks for that link. Going to order it today and hopefully the leds also.

I'm not sure since I don't know what the guts of the surface mount LEDs look like, but the full sized LEDs have a flat rectangular light emitting point encapsulated within a lens that is usually round, but can be square. I'd imagine that the round ones would have the same light output of the rectangular ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back