Jerome's Switcher Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brad, I just looked at the parts left over from Carl's RTR I did. I don't see those 2 pieces at all. As for the walkway, if you have the front rectangular piece on the end of the pilot, then the main front walkway, then the 2 long walkways have to match up to those ends. If they aren't fitting correctly, I'd take pictures, then shoot Cannon an email tomorrow. Mount your side handrails just by the cab and front step railing. That'll be a good measuring guide to show how off they are.

101_0423.jpg

Brad, this is the only picture I can find of the front walkways.

101_0421.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I was kind of surprised myself when I got the models which is why I got the detail parts from Canon and Co. You would think they could at least update the mold with tread plate impressions like the Atlas MP15's on the deck and walkways. But I guess that is the difference in the cost of the Athearn SW1500 vs the Atlas MP15. The Atlas models just have more details in the RTR line than Athearn does, but the prices reflect this fact.

I disagree. The Atlas models have molded grills while the Athearn has see-thru.

I find it weird how Athearn went to all the trouble of upgrading the tooling on the shells but neglected the walkways (The SD45s don't have tread plate either)

If they aren't fitting correctly, I'd take pictures, then shoot Cannon an email tomorrow. Mount your side handrails just by the cab and front step railing. That'll be a good measuring guide to show how off they are.

Sounds like a good idea Jerome, and thanks again for all the help and photos.;)

Brad, no problem. I'll have to order a set of those and see what the deal is with them. I have 4 or 5 RTR ones I could set them on.

I disagree. The Atlas models have molded grills while the Athearn has see-thru.

I find it weird how Athearn went to all the trouble of upgrading the tooling on the shells but neglected the walkways (The SD45s don't have tread plate either)

I also have to disagree... Maybe the older models of which I am unsure of but all of thier current stuff in the MP15 line come with etched grills, steps and tread plate walkways.

Here are two MP15's bought this year in "Southern" and "CP" roads.

View attachment 22298

View attachment 22299

But to Athearn’s defense I could have sworn that I saw some of their recent releases in BN, BNSF, CR and Rio Grande in a show case at my LHS that deals mostly with Athearn and I remember thinking to my self "WOW", with regards to the detail on them for being Athearn RTR. I could have sworn they had etched steps, and treads on them along with the radiator grills which is a huge step up for them. They were as good or better than the Atlas, the only difference being that they are SW1500 and Atlas only makes the MP15AC's.

My undecorated models are supposedly from the same RTR line which is why I was confused too?

Brad, no problem. I'll have to order a set of those and see what the deal is with them. I have 4 or 5 RTR ones I could set them on.

Man I would love to see one Jerome. The first link is the set for SW1500's with hood mounted rails.

http://shop.cannonandco.net/product.sc?productId=95&categoryId=16

And the second link, are the ones I ordered for deck mounted rails.

http://shop.cannonandco.net/product.sc?productId=155&categoryId=16

I am starting to think that the moral of this story is: "You should have just let Jerome do this model for you". Please don't say I told you so.:eek::D

Brad, this is the only picture I can find of the front walkways.

101_0421.jpg

Are these Blue Box shells? I finally got a proper size vise bit (#71) and was able to drill out the railing holes. The front tread plate on your three models in the photo are flush with the edge of the stairs. Here is what I am dealing with...

View attachment 22328

View attachment 22329

Not sure why they didn't make the front plate flush with the stair well, or why they didn't make that small trim piece over the pilot a little bigger, or maybe I need to move that back for the drop step?

As for the lift rings on your units, are those Details West?

Brad, they definitely messed up that tread set. The front pieces should both be all of the way forward. Look at my picture. There should be no stock walkway showing from the pilot back. And yes, yours should be moved forward to come up even with the steps. You haven't glued any of those down yet have you? Yes, all 3 of mine pictured are blue box. But the body, cab, walkways etc. are all EXACTLY the same measurements as the RTR units. The lift rings are Details Associates.

You haven't glued any of those down yet have you?

They are just laid in place on the shell. I am definitely going to wait to hear back from them before moving ahead with this one. I am going to assume you are using Cannon Part number 2002 for hooded hand rails, and mine are part number 2037 for deck mounted. But your picture says it all with everything being flush to the edges. The instructions that come with the 2037 set do say "Note that the tread plate is spaced away from the hood and the edge of the walkway. Using the front platform etching as a guide, attach parts 4 and 5" (which are the side tread plates). But I agree there should not be exposed walkway at the stairwell edge.

Anyway I sent them an email last night and a link to this page because it will save allot of typing and will explain to them in more detail what I am talking about. I am sure Cannon and Company will have an explanation.

Brad, I've been using this set (Cannon ST-2002 SW1000 SW 1500 Tread) for all of the blue box kits. I got to thinking about what you said about the long side walkways. They are both the same length. The front piece is longer on one side. So you should be able to switch them around to see if they fit on the other side.

http://shop.cannonandco.net/images/2037.jpg

Brad, I've been using this set (Cannon ST-2002 SW1000 SW 1500 Tread) for all of the blue box kits. I got to thinking about what you said about the long side walkways. They are both the same length. The front piece is longer on one side. So you should be able to switch them around to see if they fit on the other side.

http://shop.cannonandco.net/images/2037.jpg

I hear ya, and thought the same thing but the front piece (Part 1) is shorter on the side with the steps into the cab. Part 5 is notched out on both ends for railing alignment, so I am pretty my toast on that idea. I haven't heard back form Canon yet either. On the part sheet there are steps Part numbers 6A, 6B, 6C and two 6D's.

View attachment 22341

These steps are wider than the side treads (4 and 5). So I was thinking I could solve the problem by filing them down to the correct width and then file them to fit for the length and be done with it. I would still like to hear what Canon has to say about it, but I think I have a solution. It does kind of bother me though that I would need to modify an upgrade kit that you would assume was built to fit this model. Too bad the railings are deck mounted on my prototype, I could have avoided the whole issue had it been side mounted railings.:rolleyes:

Update: I just realized that using the step parts to fill the spacing will not work because the front plate is notched on the right hand side for the railing so that idea is out the window. I think I will skip using the tread plate from the kit all together unless I hear something from Canon, because is just doesn't look right. Sure wish I had saved some money and gone with the steps only.

Brad, those parts 6a, 6b, 6c, 6d are for the front steps to the cab (hood end). I sure hope you get an answer from them. I'm curious to hear their answer. I do have a solution for you though. It involves a lot of filing. I have a bunch of this....

http://shop.cannonandco.net/images/12183248205211363007570.jpeg

I can send you some, then you could file them to fit your stanchion holes perfectly.

I really appreciate the offer Jerome, and I may take you up on that if I don’t hear back from Cannon. I think I will give them until the end of the week. I am sure they are busy too. I have tried to search the web for a photo of these tread plates installed without success. I find it hard to believe that I am the only one who has ever tried the 2037 set?

If I can’t get an answer out of Cannon by the end of the week I will buy four strips off of you so I can move ahead with this. I wonder if I could mount your plain tread over the walkway and holes and then drill them out and mount the railing on top. It would be a cleaner look than the notching affect, but I worry that it will cause an alignment issue at the hole at the front stair well and the cab. This stuff is pretty thin, so I wonder if it would be noticeable where the railing meets the cab. Thanks again for the help.:D

Brad, I don't think if you mounted it over the walkway thread that is would make any noticeable difference in height. Let me know if you need some, I'll zip it off to you so you can continue on with this project.

Brad, I don't think if you mounted it over the walkway thread that is would make any noticeable difference in height. Let me know if you need some, I'll zip it off to you so you can continue on with this project.

That sounds good to me. I emailed Cannon twice now with no response. Either they are on vacation or they figure I will just move on which it seems is the case. Well at least people that read this post will know that Cannon tread plate part number 2037 does not correctly fit Athearn SW1500's of the most current release (Buyer Beware) without modification of the front tread plate.

Now that that is over I'll take 4 pieces of the plain tread plate if thats okay with you. PM me with your price and I will send you the money Paypal, if that works for you. I assume these pieces are a little wider and longer than the ones I am using. The website says 2.45 X 5.70 but does not show the unit of measurement. Thanks Jerome.

Brad, it is just a hair wider than the SW1500 kit is. But not enough to make a difference. Remember you have extra room towards the hood.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMD_RS1325

An EMD RS1325 is a 4-axle diesel road switcher locomotive built by General Motors Electro-Motive Division in September 1960.

Only two units of this type were produced; both were purchased by the Chicago and Illinois Midland Railway as numbers 30 and 31. As of 2009, both units are still in active use with the Illinois and Midland Railroad with the same numbers.

I thought it was the NW-2 at first...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back