It's Weekend Photo Fun Time!!! 7-8-9 Sept 07

Imag0001.jpg

I worked on 11 coal hoppers for the Rock Island - 5 bathtub gons and 6 new Trinity hoppers. These will be part of my new coal train...

img0024kg8.jpg

New hoppers:
img0025xi0.jpg

Old hoppers from the 80s:
img0026ct2.jpg

With the C44-9W (AC4400s to follow soon)
img0029eq4.jpg

img0030xl4.jpg

The old Route Rock cars need more weathering, but this is a start!

Last edited by a moderator:
Eric!!! Yes!!! Yes!!! Awesome Rock Hoppers!!! They turned out just as I expected them to. Very very good job!

Parting shot before getting ready for work tomorrow.
This is the machine shop attached to the rear of my SP shop. Machines are scratchbuilt NC machines.

machineshop1.png

Jeffery
Cool shot of the F-unit!
Neat night shot of the tower!

Grove_den
Great scene!

Icheymon
Great looking locos!

Jeffery
Nice loco and great background!

Steve B
Looks like a lot of fun was had!

Rex
Looking good so far!

Jeffery
Great loading dock scene!

Conrail92
Nice progress!

Ray
Great town shots!

Ken L
Looking good!

Cliff
Nice BNSF unit!

Maxitrains
Great looking bridge!

Steve B
That is a bunch of cool equipment!

John
Neat video!

Jeffery
Neat engine yard!

Zephyr
Great looking hoppers and RI loco!

GAPPLEG
Great job on the machine shop!

GN 2-6-8-0
I really like the shot looking down the bridge!

I'm not an expert in Model RR, but as for weathering I have a little experience. If you have another car, which can be sacrificed, paint it with this same paint, as it looks good for a rusty object, but then I would suggest to take a flat top round brush ( like the ones used in wall stencilling ) not too big in dia. though, and try to dry dabbing some medium orange on the tops, especially where you think sun will strike on, and on the otherside, where you think there will be moisture or could be most of the time in shade and can accumulate condensation or water dripping, try dabbing some dark brown.

A metal piece normally tend to rust alot on the tops where they get wet first, but when it dries up rust tend to turn orange, then the "water paths" stain the side from where it normally drips, and then accumulating in corners or edges of frameworks, that's where the dark brown should be.

I donno about you all guys, but I can speak for myself, that I saw alot of rusted metal in 18 yrs of working in a metal factory :)

As I said above, if you have another car ( or box car ) to sacrifice, try it out as I explained above. You should see a better result.

No offence about your layout, since U did an awesome job.

I wanted a transfer caboose but couldn't find one at my LHS. SO,.... I had this Model Power work caboose and crane laying around.
atsfcabcrane.gif
P9060182.jpg

Hey Jeffrey,
Some years ago I wanted a transfer caboose too and came to the same conclusion on the model power work caboose.
It has recently taken a plunge and is awaiting repairs......

Here's a pic from it's days of working the rock train at the quarry:

Rocktrain-1-2.jpg

I don't have any other pictures of the 39E... As it is not mine, I'll try to get some this weekend as the club is open then.

Back