It's Weekend Photo Fun Time!!! 7-8-9 Sept 07

Selector, AWESOME! Great photos. The PRR (Northern Central Division) dead ended in the city I grew up in, Canandaigua, NY. It interchanged there with the NYC. The old Pennsy Station is still there. I have a couple of old photos of it if you are interested. BTW, did you know that the PRR never actually went to Seneca Falls? I know it is a location on your layout. The scenery, BTW, in these shots looks much more like the North Eastern RRs.. Great work! WOW!

Thanks, Ray. I did check some maps, even going so far as to Google-Earth Seneca Falls to check in its railroad history, if any, and found that no lines were ever there....at least that I could find in part of an evening. So, since I freelance, I felt that Seneca Falls would be a safe place for a notional layout.

Funny you should mention the scenery because I had the west/mid-west in mind (NP, UP, BNSF type locations) and was following Joe Fugate's methods. I had to paint up the rock face you see at left because just past that portal is my sole attempt to model a real place....Horseshoe Curve. So, in keeping with the spirit of freelancing, I have western lookin' stuff on eastern topography in a place that never had a railroad... :p So, what would my greyhound UP Challenger be doing thundering into Seneca Falls? I'll have to quiz the hogger when he gets down. :D

Aah, what the heck, I'm having fun.

I would be pleased and grateful for the photos you mention if you would like to attach them to an email. Thanks for the offer. raspberrynob@shaw.ca

I wish you a happy weekend, Ray.

-Crandell

Last edited by a moderator:
I ordered a CSX Sd70mac to repaint in the dark future paint scheme. i also got a SD80MAC from a customer to paint for BN. I'll post some pics tomorrow, haven't really done anthing to the either of them.

Thanks, Ray. I did check some maps, even going so far as to Google-Earth Seneca Falls to check in its railroad history, if any, and found that no lines were ever there....at least that I could find in part of an evening.

Aah, what the heck, I'm having fun.

I wish you a happy weekend, Ray.

-Crandell

Thanks Crandell. Actually Seneca Falls did have rail service from two Roads, the New York Central (Auburn Branch) and Lehigh Valley. In addition at one time, there were 2 or 3 different trolley lines also. Here are a couple links to the 1905 survey maps of the area that might be of interest to you (even though your Seneca Falls is a figment just like my Hopewell Junction....).

http://docs.unh.edu/NY/genv02ne.jpg

http://docs.unh.edu/NY/genv02nw.jpg

Glad you are having fun! ;) :D

Super! Thanks for all the good information, Ray. Now I don't have to look left and right when the Niagara hisses and sings past my station at Seneca Falls. I guess I shoulda planned it all along.:p

-Crandell.

And now..... For my contribution to this weeks great array of Fantastic Fotos!

I have been finishing up the Bandstand project and finally have the old girl in place permanently (OK, so it can be removed if I want to make it a centerpiece for an entry at an NMRA Division Meet....) Bushes have been newly trimmed and the August flowers are in bloom. She is just waiting for the band to show up for the next concert (On order as I write).

Bandstand12w.png

Bandstand13w.png

Ray, that is first class, really first class. My eyes want to see your pretty annual beds coming off the periphery in radial patterns....what a great touch!

-Crandell

I wanted a transfer caboose but couldn't find one at my LHS. SO,.... I had this Model Power work caboose and crane laying around.
atsfcabcrane.gif

I removed the crane and moved the cabin from the end of the car to the middle. I also loaded loaded the cabin with weight to bring the car up to 4.5 ounces. Now it looks like this.

P9060182.jpg

Crandell, That is absolutely fantastic.
Ray: OUTSTANDING!

Great photos being posted this weekend. I'm enjoying them all.

I wanted a transfer caboose but couldn't find one at my LHS. SO,.... I had this Model Power work caboose and crane laying around.
atsfcabcrane.gif

I removed the crane and moved the cabin from the end of the car to the middle. I also loaded loaded the cabin with weight to bring the car up to 4.5 ounces. Now it looks like this.

P9060182.jpg
That is cool! Are you going to add railings to the sides?

Thank you folks! The bushes surrounding the bandstand are made of foam insulation scraps cut to order, glued together, and then painted green. They were then painted with plain old white glue and sprinkled with a mixture of various colors of fine ground foam. I was pleased with how they came out. On the layout, they are held in place with toothpicks glued into the foam base. That way they can be removed (as can the bandstand) if I want to use them on a diorama at a meet. The flowers are simply Woodland Scenics tree foliage (the stuff you stretch out and glue to an armature to make a tree) cut into a strip, soaked with 70% isopropyl alcohol and then with dilute white glue (the same stuff that I use on ballast) and sprinkled with some bright colored extra fine ground foam. I will try to get some close ups from a different angle tomorrow.

Andy
Neat shots!

GAPPLEG
Great shots! I really like the bus!

Jeffery
Nice shots!

Cliff
Nice looking locos!

Jeffery
Neat MOW car!

Crandel
Awesome shots!

Corey
That is a really cool looking set-up!

Jeffery
Cool “old Lady”!

Ray
The bandstand and town look great!

Jeffery
Nice job on the transfer caboose!

Miles
Great looking buildings!

All I have so far this weekend are a couple of progress shots of the foliage along the ridge behind the Farm House area.

farmhouse2f_001a.jpg

farmhouse2f_002a.jpg

Hi Cliff,

These shots are awesome, especially the 2nd one. Is there a reason why your tracks are not weathered, or you are still working on it? That side shot is very nice, but the rails uncovers all, since they are shiny.

If you don't want to apply brownish aged metal, you can alwayd try applying some Gunmetal paint with some dark grey to simulate forged iron.

Hi Maxitrains,
Thanks for the compliments.
This has been one of the many mistakes made on this layout. It should have been done before the scenics. Weathering of the tracks is still one of my ongoing tasks yet to be completed.
Cheers,

Hi, Maxitrains. Thank-you for your kind words. :)

Actually, I live on the west coast in British Columbia, and I have any number of accesses to sandy beaches. The sand is light grey to charcoal black, with the latter being material attracted to magnets. So, since the other stuff looked to be the right size and colur, I merely scooped up beach sand that seemed devoid of the dark sand. What you see in my photos is the beach sand ballast, but with WS cinders sprinkled over it for effect. I figured the PRR would use both sand and cinders if the need arose, but they would both appear on mainline tracks at grade anyway due to the nature of steam engines.

Unless you are modeling a specific place and railroad, you should do what appeals to you most...just be cautious not to select outrageous colours. I have heard that some folks screen sand of a suitable colour from local gravel pits and landscape materials suppliers. I think it is Arizona Rock and Mineral that sells HO scale ballast in bags...never approached them, but some modelers like their stuff a great deal. Don't overlook places where they sell aquariums; fine sands of many colours are sold there for filtration and tank beds.

Regards.

-Crandell

Selector, here are the kind of Ballast I told you about, the left one is the type and colour of sand that we have in beaches, the right is the abresive powder (grit 60) I told you about and the mid is a mixture of both. I think the left is too light, the right is too dark and the mid one I donno what it looks like. All I can say is that I think they are too fine to make ballast

ballast.jpg

wedding gift

Hi all,
It is always fun to watch/see all those great pictures and progress on your layouts or mrrtrains again thanks you show them overhere!
This( last) week I made a small diarama for the sister of my brother and I'm her godfather ( hope I write this correct?)
She was exactly 25 years ago one of the 2 girlswho "helped" the bride . Than she was only 5 years old. As we went to the park to take some pictures we met some ducks and goose and she was afraight for them and one "attacked " :eek: ;) her almost . That is what you can see on the path: the small girl with 3 geese running after her ...:D

Jos

Back