It's Weekend Photo Fun Time!!! 7-8-9 Sept 07

Maxitrains, this is a prime example of a time when the person modeling has to make up their own mind. For my eyes, the right pile is considerably better than the other two, but you have already concluded that it is too dark!

I suspect you have a preference, call it a bias, for grays when it comes to ballast. Well, the right pile is closer than the other two, isn't it? So, if that is a ready source, I would use it. It is the right size, colour is just fine for my tastes. If it really and truly leaves you frowning, then you should seek something commercially available and use it...you have to want to run to the train room and see your masterpiece, so it should be a true reflection of "the artist", know what I mean?

I'll bet there is a Ready-Mix industry somewhere near you that is used by contractors for pours for foundations and footings, open sewers, and so on. They have tons of sand stored for their use. Call and ask them for 20 pounds of the stuff....or at least ask them if what they use is greyish.

-Crandell

Edit- I invite you to this forum where you are directed to NYW&B's image. Notice that he has used the very colour that you have rejected in your leftmost pile. His works, particularly when you compare it to the rocks in the tunnel portal beyond...they are clearly the same material, or mention to be so representated. This is the effect you would want overall. No matter which colour you chose, make it reasonably consistent for the region.

http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?p=427717&posted=1#post427717

Last edited by a moderator:
I figured I would give this a try. I had bought an old Kato RS-1 at a yard sale years ago for $25 and have used it to tow around my hot metal trains on the layout. The first photo is what it used to look like. I was happy with this scheme until a friend sent me photo 2, and I knew I had to try it. I started this Wednesday evening and finished (mostly) this afternoon. I want to add a bit more weathering to the trucks and fuel tank but am very pleased with the results. I know the original is from a quarry but what the heck it looks pretty cool towing a hot metal train also.......now all I have to do is get the mini-mill rebuilt!!

Hi Icheymon, nice engine, and nice new scheme, but with no offence I think you might give another try on teh weathering, as it is they look like stain dabs, or maybe they look like that because if the photo angle. But the engine and its new colour scheme are nice.

Selector, I am uploading another picture of the two types of Ballast I showed earlier, now I applies them on a rail section and placed the loco on them so you can compare the size of the grains, and maybe give me another opinion. As for quantities I got loads of both, the white one is sand and I got lots of beaches were to get from, the black one is abrehsive grit 60 which I got about 50 Kgs of it :)

Sorry about the picture half blurred but I don't have a macro lens nor did I take this picture on a tripod.

P9080281.jpg

LOL five pages and it's only Saturday, GREAT work everyone,,, Jos Still laughing at the bride refusing to get into the boat, nice one.

no trains, still on emigration stuff
feeding the boys to a crocodile
10-08-07002.jpg

10-08-07003.jpg

10-08-07013-1.jpg

Just thought I would post some work in progress. This is the new steel town (yet to be named). I have placed some industry borrowed from other parts of the layout for the photo and arranged the town in the approximate area. I figure this area to take several months to paint buildings, landscape, and etc., but I still will be able to include it in the operations immediately. Yes, that is a variation of theTimesaver you see. It won't be operated as a puzzle, but will sure make the train engineer/conductor think hard:D .
NONAME_TOWN.jpg

Selector, I am uploading another picture of the two types of Ballast I showed earlier, now I applies them on a rail section and placed the loco on them so you can compare the size of the grains, and maybe give me another opinion. As for quantities I got loads of both....

Well, now that I see them both in context, I think I prefer the mix with the lighter grains. Truly, tho', it's either/or. (See what the mix looks like with another 15% by volume of the darker stuff mixed in) If you have plenty of the lighter of the two, I would go with that. Maybe do 2-3 meters where it will be most visible and easiest to apply and then to clean up, don't set it with glue for a few days, maybe a couple of weeks, and see how it feels. If you don't like it, sweep or vacuum it up, and go find something more to your liking.

Ok the cork came today! Still waiting for more switch track and electrical stuff, But I started laying it down today. I got maybe 1/5 of it done. I'm still getting the hang of it for doing it for the first time.
IMG_2039.jpg

IMG_2041.jpg

IMG_2044.jpg

Sorry for the one fuzzy picture, I hope to share with you more progress on this as time goes on.

Done went and bought me a heavy duty tripod for the camera today. The one I had was light duty and didn't do a good job of supporting the Rebel or my Movie camera. So I just had to go and try her out....... Just a few more photos of Hopewell Junction. Took the telephoto lens and went across the valley and took them from the top of Bare Mountain. (Well not really.....) ;) :D

Some of the old timers are having a game of checkers outside of Roses Diner. The Reverend Miller is gonna have to stop reading so much and chase off them raccoons out back getting into the garbage too!

HopewellJunction08w.png

The afternoon freight coasts downhill behind the business district.

HopewellJunction09w.png

HopewellJunction10w.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Man guys, this is one HECK of a weekend, I feel left out. I really need to go buy that 4'x8' layout off that guy!

Here's my only new picture to contribute:

Josh your right this is one heluva WPF! It's almost midnight here on the East Coast and I have to get some shut-eye, so no time for individual comments/praises.

My contribution doesn't remotely compare with anything you all have shown, just some early-construction photos. To the untrained eye [no pun intended LOL] this looks like a junk shelf. But it's the site of a new stub-ended staging yard I'm installing - it'll add a whole new dimension to the kinds of operations I can run so I'm real excited about it.

First pic shows the shelf, second one shows the frame that will support the ramp.

staging_yard_shelf.jpg

staging_yard_ramp.jpg

This is not much of a contri, I'm making compared to others, I hope I will be able to get more pictures with a progress for next time.

These are two of the scratch built bridges that I'm working on.

Bridge_sm.jpg

woodenTrestle2.jpg

I will be posting a better picture soon of the second one. Both of them are still not finished, as they need weathering and some more details, especially the first one. For these I'm using lots of scrap edging wood, which I cut to specific thickness, according to the plans ( plans are of real bridges not of minitures, I have to convert the sizes ) and build accordingly.

Selector, this is another photo, not a closeup though, but it will give a better perspective of how it will look from a top view. I don't know exactly what the size of the real ballast is compared to the sleepers, as we do not have Railroads here, so if anyone has a closeup photo of ballast near the sleepers, it would be very kind of him to post it, so I can make a comparison and decide what type of material to use, because I'm still pretty much puzzled. I don't want to use a very fine powder, that won't look realistic near the sleepers, especially when taking closeup photos.

The I got finer dark powder, almost fine as flour, which I will try to mix with white glue ( wood glue ) and lay a road, and see how this comes ( I will also post a picture of it when ready.)

Great pics everyone, No modelling for me this week Im affraid. Still sat on the couch with an elevated leg recovering from my infected knee joint. Although yesterday I ventured out into the garden chair and supervised my 13 year old daughter track lifting. Due to the poor summer I have decided to strip down the garden railway and use the track to build my new layout in the Shed that is coming this Friday. She got quite into it, infact she was up at 8.30 this morning waying up what sheis going to reclaim this afternoon. I may need two stools to sit on in the shed afterall !!!!

I have also rebuilt my website ready for my new layout adventure...

www.rjroriginals.co.uk/rjr_branch_line.htm

John
RJR

not done much, just a few shots from today
10-08-07004-1.jpg

10-08-07005-1.jpg

10-08-07006.jpg

and a new G.U.V (general utillity van0 used by royal mail parcels
10-08-07008-1.jpg

Nice detail on the Bachmann model
10-08-07001-1.jpg

Back