I have a small dilemma.

I think see your Idea lasm. Kind of a cookie cutter thing?

There will not be any elevations on this track for awhile.
I need to get some experience and understanding before I try elevations again.

Good idea, thanks.

Spending today trying to get my walk through cutout.
I am way too old for this stuff.
Sweating my butt off and the AC is running full blast.

I know this seems to be the most popular way to make terrain, but in (road) engineering, which is where I work, which is somewhat similar to model railroad engineering, some prefer to go up rather than down. That means making predominately fill impacts and not cut impacts. I guess you can use foam in this way, too, but cheap thin plywood with wood risers is an option for woodworker types. Not to say that foam is wrong, just that some people like other materials. (and not to resuscitate that whole foam vs wood debate.) lasm
I've always never wanted foam, as it won't take rough stuff, easy to ding. But you keep the rough stuff off the layout anyways but I like to be safe, stuff that can take it. My layout has planned mountaneous terrain, but its on levels, with loopy runs on each single level, I make them work first, then I move on to making the elevations, testing it all the way thru construction.

Well it is off to Lowes today for some 2x4s.
I got my walk through cut yesterday.
I need to make some supports and a few more legs.
I just about cut my bench work in 2 .
I think I will need to tie it to the wall now.
It is kind of wobbly.

does this go with your first motto or your slogan?

On a serious note, thanks for keeping us in on your train adventures. lasm

lasm, thank you all for helping and the replies.
It got me off of my butt and moving again on my trains.

I may have to start a build thread just for laughs.

Ya definalty a build thread. But with this new plan, you should be able to build it fairly quick, with no elevations to deal with. Trackwork should be pretty easy.

The scenery is what takes time. Getting track down and running trains takes less effort and time. Then take your time on the scenery and details, structures, etc. I'm sure your dying to get some trains moving at this point. With all the restarts on this. Running trains will help your enthusiasm. When I was building my layout, when I finished the inside mainline it was just awesome seeing trains run.

I know you have the fastracks track. Will you be using those for just the turnouts, and using flex track for everything else? That would be a good plan.

I use nothing but Fast Tracks.
They do not offer a flex track which is a bummer.

I got tired of sawing all my 2x4s by hand on a miter box for trim material.
So, I went to Lowe's and bought a chop saw.
I always wanted one.

My wife told me today that I will have $2,000.00 in tools to make a $250.00 bench. :eek:

Back