I have a small dilemma.

rzw0wr

Newbie Switchman
I started a HO scale layout several months ago.
I have a lot of track for this layout.
I used the Fast Tracks for all of the track.

The problems I have are:
1) I did not plan much of anything.
2) I built all of the track before I build the the inclines or laid any road bed. Now I have no idea where most of the track goes.
3) I have learned so much from trying to build this layout, I can see there are quite a few things wrong with this layout.
4) I want to do more switching than just running in a loop.
5) I don't have any sidings for industry.
6) I started way too big for my experience. I thought I was a master modeler. :eek:
7) I have way too much track for my space. The entire layout is covered with track.
8) I don't like it anymore.

Question:
Should I continue with this layout or should I tear it down to start over, again.
The is my 4th false start on a layout.

Thanks,
Dale

Another signature line for you. "I should'a stayed with playing golf" :confused:. NO! Seriously. Can you show us some pics or plans of your layout or the room you have, maybe some constructive suggestions can then be made.

Oh man well this sucks. First the bridges ordeal. Now this.

Post some photos of what you built, and if you have a track plan.

I'm sure we can offer some help so you don't have to start completely over. Just make some improvements.

Don't worry, when I first started my layout I had way too much track all over the place. People call it spaghetti layouts. I had access issues, had to create access holes in the benchwork. Then after 3 years the pop up holes got too much for me. So thats what I'm working on right now. The new improvements of my layout. I'll tell you, its easier than ripping the whole thing out and starting from scratch again.

Hang in there buddy we'll get you on the right track.

First off, take a deep breath. You sound frustrated. It's all a big journey.

Take a good look at what you've got- what you like and don't like. Take notes. If you feel you can improve on certain areas, do it. Don't do anything permanent until you're happy with what you have.

The nice thing about Fast Track is that it holds together better as a temporary setup than regular track. Run the your layout and make alterations. See what works and doesn't.

Root cause is your observation #1.

Before you change anything figure out what you want. Not a track plan, but what you want out of a model railroad. Do you want to just run trains? Do you want switching? Do you want to be prototypical? Do you want something you can just throw together and run for a couple months then take it apart and reconfigure it into something else? Do you want to run long cars and engines?

Realize that your space will influence what you can do. If you want to run full size passenger trains and 4-8-8-4 steam engines, but only have a 4x8 sheet of plywood and 18" radius you will have challenges.

Realize that Easy Track is designed for train sets and if you want something more sophisticated you may have to abandon the Easy Track and go to something more flexible.

I used the Fast Tracks for all of the track.
...1) I did not plan much of anything.
Question:
Should I continue with this layout or should I tear it down to start over, again.
You hand laid track without a plan? There had to be some sort of design. Since all the track is hand laid, can you save anything if you start over?

After a good nights sleep and some more deep thought I have decided that the best thing for me to do is finish this layout as planned.

I did have a track plan when I started, the elevations were what was confusing me.

If I started a new layout the same thing would happen with it.

I have done this 3 other times. Time to finish what I started, good , bad or indifferent.

Thanks for the replies.

stop and maybe post a track plan. if you are not happy with it now, you will not be happy with it when it is done. you would not be the first one to build more than one layout and tear it apart.

Pictures as requested.
0824141652c.jpg
This will require 3 bridges of some sort.

0824141652b.jpg
This requires min of 32" of bridge

0824141652a.jpg
This will be the opening of a tunnel. Mountain will be the incline to the left.

0824141652.jpg
Have not decided yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your additional pictures aren't showing.

But anyways. First of all you are brave man by laying tracks by hand using Fastracks. Why didn't you make your life easier and use flex track? Not saying it looks bad or anything, but flex track is way easier to use, and may lower your frustration a little.

Ya you do have a lot of track though. It definatley looks good though, like the mountainous settings and the elevated track. But remember with all those eleveations you can't stop and un-hook any cars on those elevations.

I would simplify it by removing some of those elevated track sections. It looks like 3 elavated track sections are right next to each other. Remove at least one of those.

Make some more room for the flat areas, then add some industries there with sidings. I see you have an access hole in the middle. You will only want to use it for building, and for derailments. So put the industries and sidings for switching cars, somewhere near the edge so you can easily reach it.

Maybe even remove the most outer elevated section running along the edge. Then have your industries and scenery, passenger station, etc. there along the edges.

But leave all the work you've done in the middle there with the mountain.

How do access the tracks in this area? I see the access hole on the other side near the mountain, but no access hole in here?

Dale.jpg

I wouldn't put the tracks in the middle there. Just put scenery and buildings there. Take that non-elevated track that crosses under those elevated tracks. And move it to the outside edge. Remove the outside elevated track and keep it level with the benchwork.

After a good nights sleep and some more deep thought I have decided that the best thing for me to do is finish this layout as planned.

I did have a track plan when I started, the elevations were what was confusing me.

If I started a new layout the same thing would happen with it.

I have done this 3 other times. Time to finish what I started, good , bad or indifferent.

Thanks for the replies.

Good that you had a "good nights sleep" BUT, "...Time to finish what I started, good , bad or indifferent..." isn't going to resolve your problems, instead, it might just compound them.

Dave1905 hit the nail on the head with his post:

"...Root cause is your observation #1.

Before you change anything figure out what you want. Not a track plan, but what you want out of a model railroad. Do you want to just run trains? Do you want switching? Do you want to be prototypical? Do you want something you can just throw together and run for a couple months then take it apart and reconfigure it into something else? Do you want to run long cars and engines?..."

Before you decide on doing anything, really take a long hard critical look at what you want to achieve in the long run. Your main concern seems to be with the Elevations. If they are going to cause you that much frustration and anxiety, perhaps you need to eliminate one or more of them, as has been suggested.

General rule of thumb for me when I run into an issue is to try to identify the "actual problem", not the imagined ones, then remove that problem all together. Once the problem ceases to exist, you can sit down and look at what to replace it with.

Good luck with what you eventually do but to continue regardless, to me anyway, would be a big mistake I think.

Cant say start over or pushon. i would recondmed you take pics at the end of each section you do then you can look at the pic as a reminder when you pull track up .

Some good ideas given.
I am still up in the air about what to do.

I am looking at keeping some or most of the track and changing the elevations a lot.

Several I go backwards. They should have been at table top level and I raised them.
I have turnouts on elevations and one on a changing elevation.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Michael, I think I fixed the additional pictures.
The track in question goes through the opening to the left in the picture you posted.

Wow. What a convoluted plan. Before you throw too much more money at this plan I suggest you look at some other track planning books.

This plan doesn't look like it does anything well and it will be very difficult to put scenery on and make it look anywhere close to real.

Picking out what you want to do is important to getting a good plan. No answer is wrong, but you certainly can get a wrong plan if it doesn't satisfy what you want out of a layout. Generally simpler is better.

Dale,

You got this out of a book? Darn some one was ambitious. I don't know about anyone else but I see problems in the green section (below) of the plan. Personally, that entire section needs to be reworked to make it viable and easier with less cross overs requiring so many elevations.

8x14Rework_zpsb7f18739.jpg

Back