Hurricane Sandy

amdaley

I would like to wish anyone affected by this storm the best of luck.
I’m sure we all have friends & families in the affected areas.
We are thinking of you.
Good luck.

Thanks! We're very lucky here.

The wind did very minimal damage and the power never went out thanks to the power company sending out crews over the last few months to cut trees back away from the lines. I think that made all the difference. So, when those guys come along and tear up your trees remember that.

We live on top of a hill so the water was no big deal either. Unfortunately, the same can't be said for our neighbors down in Port Deposit, MD or the beaches.

Godspeed to all in the way of this thing. If you have power enough to still be able to read this, and haven't evacuated in spite of being advised to do so, for Heaven's sake, head for high ground if you still can!

I can relax alittle bit now. Heard from my nephew (FDNY Squad 252 Lieutenant) him and family are alright, my brother and all the rest of his family, they live out on Long Island, are ok too. Now just have to wait for it to pass over the rest of my family in upstate NY.

They're claimed up to 10 days without power in some areas. Over a million without Power/cable. Around 3 dozen dead.

Appreciate the thoughts and well wishes. I'm more inland, but we did have 70+ MPH winds, with a bunch of trees snapped and many tall pines uprooted. We lost power for almost 24 hours, but it came back on this afternoon, just as I was pondering a second gas run for the generator.

My thoughts and prayers for the many folks in coastal areas and we can't overlook those in the mountains that got pounded by heavy snow as well. NYC did not fare well - there was a major power substation explosion downtown that will take ConEd about 2 weeks to fix. Impact to 350,000 people. Subway system took on water as well, which poses interesting problems. I won't be venturing into the city soon -

Tom, where in the valley are you? I grew up there! I thought PPL would have been much faster at restoration of service than PECO!!! I live in central Bucks now.

-bill

I'm by easton and have Met Ed, they aren't going to touch this place til monday.

Some parts of easton still have power though, but all the closest stores are in the townships

My cable/power/mobile at&t are out

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the same issue here, Tom. The cell coverage was really bad - 1-2 bars, dropped calls. As soon as power was returned, everything worked again.

Not too bad up here away from the shore. Trees took down power lines and blocked some streets. Nothing much happened where I am. Not so much as a flicker from the lights. We got very lucky. Storm took an odd turn inland before it reached New England. Generally hurricanes take a more easterly course out to sea as they follow the Gulf Stream. Had that been the case we would be in the horrible mess that hit the Mid Atlantic states and NJ / NY. Worse than any power outage has to be the blizzard conditions in some areas and the horrendous fire that burned down so many homes and businesses in Queens NY.

I hope all our forum members and their families and friends made it through ok.

I got an email today from Rustam who is here on the forum. It even made the news in Moscow!! He wishes everyone well.

The town i grew up in got destroyed by tidal surge from the hackensack river. Little Ferry and Moonachie are still under atleast 3 feet of water. Nearly 90% of little ferry was flooded, all of moonachie was and everyone was evacuated. My town where i live saw minor flooding but nothing like irene last year.

The jersey shore, is well, pretty much no more. Its just unreal seeing the damage done.

The town i grew up in got destroyed by tidal surge from the hackensack river. Little Ferry and Moonachie are still under atleast 3 feet of water. Nearly 90% of little ferry was flooded, all of moonachie was and everyone was evacuated. My town where i live saw minor flooding but nothing like irene last year.

The jersey shore, is well, pretty much no more. Its just unreal seeing the damage done.

Well at least you didnt get much in your town, the city I live in was in a bubble as not even the lights flickered but areas East, West, and South of me lost power but thats about it for Western MA.

So sad! The ironic thing is that all the rail transportation that runs on electricity is pretty well wiped out. I recall as a kid in the '50's, when the "Q" had flooding from the Mississippi, they had to call in steam locomotives (which they still had available) because the high water would short out the traction motors in the diesels.

I won't tell you where I live because there'd be a mass emmigration out here. Not that we haven't had our share of destruction with fires this summer! Right now it's about 70 deg., but you can see some snow on the mountain tops from last weeks little weather system. I understand Xcel Energy is sending crews East to help restore power. Various organizations are taking up collections to try to help out.

Best wishes to all!

nj transit and amtrak have suffered some incredible damage. nj transit has 2 bridges that are close to the atlantic, both got slammed by loose barges. 1 bridge still has 2 fishing vessels on it and a barge. boats scattered along the coastline row. washouts in kearny affecting njt and amtrak. the tunnels under the hudson are flooded. njt's shops, dispatch center and railyard are being described as "destroyed".

25 million is a low estimate of damages to equipment at the shops, 67 loco's, 227 rail cars damaged.

Back